Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet The Neighbours..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I think the some of the characters are better than others. Some of it was funny.

Just wondering why people would watch it and then complain about it. Plenty of other channels, if you don't like it then switch over to something else, simple as that.

Because it's our license fee that pays for this crap. If you think it's funny then I would love to know what you think of The Fast Show a far superior sketch show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I think the some of the characters are better than others. Some of it was funny.

Just wondering why people would watch it and then complain about it. Plenty of other channels, if you don't like it then switch over to something else, simple as that.

that was the best programme that was on at the time:rolleyes:, beats watching programmes about how f**ked this country is

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Hi PJ

Lazy. Then again, probably a good indicator of the the type of comedy you like.

Look, it wasn't ground breaking, but it was amusing and it probably will get better the more we see each character.

People around here need to start judging each show on its merits. The whole 'RTE is sh1te' stuff is getting boring and this forum is filled with people who adopt other peoples opinions, are scared to admit they like anything homegrown and simply feel they gain some sort of security in siding with the most popular opinion.

There's nothing wrong with liking something that RTE produce folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Lazy. Then again, probably a good indicator of the the type of comedy you like.

Look, it wasn't ground breaking, but it was amusing and it probably will get better the more we see each character.

People around here need to start judging each show on its merits. The whole 'RTE is sh1te' stuff is getting boring and this forum is filled with people who adopt other peoples opinions, are scared to admit they like anything homegrown and simply feel they gain some sort of security in siding with the most popular opinion.

I'm sorry but apart from the out takes, I thought there were laughs in tonight's Primetime and I say this as someone who has actually attended a couple of PJ's comedy gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Because it's our license fee that pays for this crap. If you think it's funny then I would love to know what you think of The Fast Show a far superior sketch show.
    The Fast Show doesn't do it for me.

• Advertisement

Ah, the licence fee thing again. I would lay a large wage that the vast majority who use it as a stick, don't actually pay it anyway. And also you've got to remember that not every show is made to appeal to YOU. If you don't get it, or like it, fine, but remember there are people out there that do. And that's what a national broadcaster has to do - cater for everyone.

Btw the Fast Show was largely hit and miss, and possibly the most repetitive comedy show in history, but it tickled some peoples fancy, and that's cool enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PuddleMooders

That's true. I liked The Clinic. I like RAW. I think Love/Hate is a well crafted programme. But when it comes to sketch shows and sitcoms RTE have a habit of producing the worst. Maybe we just aren't a funny enough nation to provide A class comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Ah, the licence fee thing again. I would lay a large wage that the vast majority who use it as a stick, don't actually pay it anyway.
    I beg to differ, in this country we jail people who don't have TV licences. It is a shame such a hard line isn't taken with bankers :rolleyes:

walshb wrote: »
    Eh, because people are giving it a chance. That whole "change the channel" excuse is lame. Folks are wanting to know how a national station can charge us for this absolute tripe? We pay for the service, and this is what they give us? And, change the channel doesn't cut it!

If you feel so strongly about "this absolute tripe" Complain to Joe Duffy.

And also you've got to remember that not every show is made to appeal to YOU. If you don't get it, or like it, fine, but remember there are people out there that do. And that's what a national broadcaster has to do - cater for everyone.

I would like to meet those people that actually liked this and give them an education in comedy, or an education full stop because this could only possibly appeal to the drunkards and the idiots.

• Advertisement

That's true. I liked The Clinic. I like RAW. I think Love/Hate is a well crafted programme. But when it comes to sketch shows and sitcoms RTE have a habit of producing the worst. Maybe we just aren't a funny enough nation to provide A class comedy.

Well, we have poor form, but I would suggest that Paths to Freedom, Soupy Norman, and maybe. The Savage Eye would suggest we have the talent.. the problem possibly is that RTE have to really play to their biggest audience, and unfortunately, it's largely made up of the elderly and the rural. I mean most 20 and 30 year olds are downloading US TV shows anyway, so they're not watching in the first place

I would like to meet those people that actually liked this and give them an education in comedy, or an education full stop because this could only possibly appeal to the drunkards and the idiots.

Give me a lesson in comedy so

Please don't look down your nose at those who have a different sense of humour to yours.

Give me a lesson in comedy so

Ah now I don't think you'd understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Conjoined twins - definitely works (I can see Enfield and Whitehouse doing that).
    The rest - meh.

Ah now I don't think you'd understand.

Nice cop-out..

Opinions are opinions you know, one mans pleasure etc... try remembering that sometimes will you?

But be cool, and quit with the 'educations in comedy' rubbish too, cos you clearly can't back it up and you'll just end up looking silly on an internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fressatty

Bar the Savage Eye, i havent watched any decent RTE programming this year, at all, don't try defend it, it's just crap. PJ Gallagher is a good comedian, i just don't think he's enough of a frontman to have his own show. He would be better suited to a running character in a series where he can be propped up by other comedians or he would be a good actor for someone like Brian Linehan, possibly. Making a joke about siamese twins was about as funny as a diarreaha outbreak on a space station...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Got to agree prob the worst comedy/humour skit ive seen in a long time. And im a fan of pj. Will watch next weeks prog in the hope it improves. but not holding much hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My mother told me that she saw bits of this on the Late Late Show on Friday and that it looked hilarious. I ran for the hills. I could careless about anything that is on Irish Television because the vast majority of it is drivel and a huge waste if my time. I don't watch television, I watch computer. Much better use of my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CleanYerPlate

Seriously terrible stuff. I agree Gallagher would work well in a sitcom but RTE seems to have something against producing sitcoms of a high degree.

• Advertisement

apparently, and i'm paraphrasing an interview from the indo, he had a rough year with some surgery complications which resulted in him being bed bound and losing out on his wedding or something, then he ended up depressed! so RTE commisioned him to make his own tv show and that apparently gave him some get up and go.

I think this story alone would have been a great basis to write his comedy on, he should have made light of his disastrous year. Instead of old granny skits and the completley weird other stuff. A story about a stand up comedian who couldnt stand up would have been a good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

So people need an education in comedy to know whats funny or not.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CleanYerPlate

fressatty wrote: »
    apparently, and i'm paraphrasing an interview from the indo, he had a rough year with some surgery complications which resulted in him being bed bound and losing out on his wedding or something, then he ended up depressed! so RTE commisioned him to make his own tv show and that apparently gave him some get up and go.

I think this story alone would have been a great basis to write his comedy on, he should have made light of his disastrous year. Instead of old granny skits and the completley weird other stuff. A story about a stand up comedian who couldnt stand up would have been a good start

That's a good idea. I'm finding these skits on Grannies and culchies and everyone in between a bit tiring to be honest. They were funny for a while but once every comedian starts to do shows about them the repetitiveness screams in your face. It almost seems that this is all Irish humour is. Observational comedy at its worst.

i'm gonna go all conspiracy theorist here but what if RTE are just playing it safe?, what if they don't want genuine satire on the air?, as to avoid offending certain organisations...such as the church? or the government?

There's always an elephant in the room when you watch RTE comedy, it's the one thing that people want to see the piss being ripped out of and it's just a no go area thats barely tipped off. We should have way more satire, satire is a healthy way for people to let off steam about the people in charge and feck knows we need that right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭andy2die4

It makes Mrs Brown's Boys look good.

How this made a prime time rte1 I do not know.
    As much as i hate to be an RTE knocker, i have to agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Like someone said, it was the first episode, give it a chance. I thought it was ok. Some of it, I was like "come on, get to the next one", but there was a few scenes that my partner and I nearly woke the baby we were laughing so hard. Slag all you will, I don't care. I thought it was ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

fressatty wrote: »

My car broke down today, its going to cost a weeks wages to fix and I dislocated my finger last week and lost a weeks wages because of that too. Any chance RTE might gimme an aul show to pick meself up a bit?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    My car broke down today, its going to cost a weeks wages to fix and I dislocated my finger last week and lost a weeks wages because of that too. Any chance RTE might gimme an aul show to pick meself up a bit?

well it sounds like you do good Frank Spencer impersonations!:p you could be on to something there...tough couple of weeks fella, hope it all goes well,

now get the finger out and fix that motor

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

but there was a few scenes that my partner and I nearly woke the baby we were laughing so hard. Slag all you will, I don't care. I thought it was ok. :)

Damn it, missed them scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I like PJ and find him a naturally funny guy.
    But the writing was atrocious and it looked like it cost fifty euro to produce.
    Funny costumes do not a comedy make.

It came off like Little little little little little little little little little Britain.

Advertisement