Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Boards is gay.

I prefer the word multisexual :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 sixtynine2

You haven't a clue what you are on about. And I hope you never end up in a situation where you need to take a pill to be able to live a normal life, or even leave the house, because it's not a very nice place to find yourself.

I never aruged otherwise. I agree with you. Any drug that hasn't been put to scrutiny, should be removed. Not every drug they prescribe however, has a good track record in this regard. GP's these days are more salesmen apologists for drug companies nowadays anyway. Don't believe me? Ask your doctor to declare his financial conflicts of interest, and he will tell you to get stuffed. Proof enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

old hippy wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks for that, doc. In the real world, we have to get by the best way we can and sometimes, that involves pills. I'm on citalopram, myself. Of course, I'd rather not be. But this is the real world, as I said.
    Look, a doctor simply isn't qualified to prescribe brain medicine in my unpopular opinion, it doesn't matter how good they are, it's not what they are trained/qualified to do. Yes, they are more qualified than me but I'm not telling people to take or not take mind altering drugs.

I don't believe 400,000 people in Ireland need anti-depressants to keep them going, I'd love to read up more about it but what if GPs referred all patients to a psychiatrist/psychologist first for an assessment. How many would respond better to talking therapies, or group therapy, addiction counselling, a healthy diet plan, a fitness regime, a bit of sex, a hobby, a bit of guidance, a self help course, education, spirituality, religion, volunteer work ect ect ect.
    Seriously how many of the FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND Irish people on pills today can we help get off them by broadening our approach to treatment? 1%, 10%, 50%? If it's only 1%, than that's 4,000 fewer people on mind altering pills.

I'm aware the government will go with the quickest, cheapest option when dealing with this but there are alternatives there, they just need to be funded and prioritised IMO. My opinion seems unpopular but do you think that it is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

New born babies are fucking ugly. Like not long born. They're all red/purplish with tiny eyes. It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Being a binman looks like a fun job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Don't understand how people say how beautiful or gorgeous babies are, they all look the same until they're 3..

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

1ZRed wrote: »
    New born babies are fucking ugly. Like not long born. They're all red/purplish with tiny eyes. It's weird.

better than finding them attractive i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

You haven't a clue what you are on about. And I hope you never end up in a situation where you need to take a pill to be able to live a normal life, or even leave the house, because it's not a very nice place to find yourself.

Why are you getting so mad about this quote? He/ she has a point ...
    There is no need for MANY people to take specific drugs and less of those would strengthen the minds and bodies of "mild" cases and increase the credibility of many serious cases.

Ever feel rage boiling up in you when you hear someone talking about their depression? I do, because most people just think/ tell themselves they are depressed and use it as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Why are you getting so mad about this quote? He/ she has a point ...
    There is no need for MANY people to take specific drugs and less of those would strengthen the minds and bodies of "mild" cases and increase the credibility of many serious cases.

Ever feel rage boiling up in you when you hear someone talking about their depression? I do, because most people just think/ tell themselves they are depressed and use it as an excuse.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

As an excuse for what?

• Advertisement

And how would you know what they feel? If that "let's laughter at people with depression" thread has thought me is that many people just suffer in silence because of the harsh stigma surrounding the topic. Comments like that just reinforce it.

I don't see how depression could be used as an excuse for anything, and I don't think that the vast majority of people who claim to be depressed just say it for the sake of pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

And how would you know what they feel? If that "let's laughter at people with depression" thread has thought me is that many people just suffer in silence because of the harsh stigma surrounding the topic. Comments like that just reinforce it.

I don't see how depression could be used as an excuse for anything, and I don't think that the vast majority of people who claim to be depressed just say it for the sake of pity.

To be fair this is the case with some people. I know someone who recommended I did what he did and went off work with "work related stress and depression" just because things were getting tough.
    On the other hand this is a sweeping statement to make and should not be applied to any particular person because you can't know that they're not genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

You'd be surprised by the amount of people who genuinely suffer from depression and never tell anyone or get help because of this whole attitude of "oh, just get over it" or "you're just an attention-seeker". It's always the people you don't expect either. Some people are very good at hiding precisely because of the stigma and because they don't want to be seen as "cry babies" (for want of a better word).

That all said, I do not think that prescribed medication should be the first port of call, unless obviously you're suicidal or having psychotic episodes or are completely and utterly stuck in a rut and it's going to help you out of that. For mild depression, I think there are other ways of working through it that may not involve medication right away. I think some people (maybe moreso in the US than here) just turn to medication as a quick fix for feeling unhappy. There are ways of dealing with depression rather than immediately going straight onto medication. I saw an interesting interview with Jim Carrey who suffers from depression who said that he spent years on Prozac and then came off it, believing that spending your life on medication simply "puts off" dealing with the deep-rooted causes of the depression. Medication allows people to avoid the real problems that have them depressed. I'd be inclined to agree with him (with the exception of serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia, severe bi-polar, suicidal thoughts, etc.)

However, if someone really thinks they need medication, then of course, they're entitled to go that route without being judged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

krudler wrote: »
    Hes still one of the greatest one episode characters ever though. The difference between the wackiness of that episode and of the new stuff is that was genuinely funny. There was always some element of unbelievability in the older eps too but it was within reason, and most importantly it was funny, sure look at how many times Homer should have been killed through some horrible accident in the early ones.

There isn't really any need to dissect the episodes. The bold part sums it up, The Simpsons became crap when it stopped making people laugh.
    This is simply a rubbish opinion. And coming from someone who I imagine has never felt their womb trying to gnaw its way out through their back.

What?
    iDave wrote: »
    Live music in bars is pointless

The point of it is that you get to hear live music. I go to bars I wouldn't normally drink in if they have live music.
    Being a binman looks like a fun job

Knowing what wheely bins smell like I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I work with a woman who uses her alleged depression as an excuse to get out of doing any major work and to take loads of sick days (funnily enough, when anyone suggests a night out, she perks up and is always first there and last out) and whenever she wants out of a tricky work project she will act all bothered and tearful and make up a big story about how her boss is against her/hassling her etc and how insensitive they are. So some people do act it up and use it to their advantage, its bloody infurating when she does this and whats even worse, some people there lap up her daily poor me stories and listen to her with open ears :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I work with a woman who uses her alleged depression as an excuse to get out of doing any major work and to take loads of sick days (funnily enough, when anyone suggests a night out, she perks up and is always first there and last out) and whenever she wants out of a tricky work project she will act all bothered and tearful and make up a big story about how her boss is against her/hassling her etc and how insensitive they are. So some people do act it up and use it to their advantage, its bloody infurating when she does this and whats even worse, some people there lap up her daily poor me stories and listen to her with open ears :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And she's choking down anti-D's for the craic, or what your saying has no relevance in the context of what has been said in here. There are plain bad, useless, stupid people everywhere. What you're saying isn't insightful but it is a problem. Your attitude is stigmatising to people who genuinely suffer.
    If you know a specific person like that grand but you're sounding close to smearing others. Sorry if I'm picking you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Don't understand how people say how beautiful or gorgeous babies are, they all look the same until they're 3..

or when they say a newborn, like a week old is "the head off" their parents, ehh, no, no they're not, they look like a small old man dipped in formeldahyde.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Childless people should get a reward for it, not a yearly thing, but a once off "hey thanks for not burdening the state further by having sprogs" payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I think beer snobs are f ucking idiots. Fair enough if you don't like beer like Stella or Fosters, but don't look down on people who do you clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think beer snobs are f ucking idiots. Fair enough if you don't like beer like Stella or Fosters, but don't look down on people who do you clown.

I couldn't agree more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I thought the Sarah Silverman Show was hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I detest the ****ing morons who have the idea that the Irish who wear GAA jerseys abroad, particularly Australia, are somehow stupid, less informed or less adjusted than the intellectuals who wear Rip Curl or Quicksilver. It's almost like we should be ashamed of it the way some people talk! You'd wear it at home, so why wouldn't you wear it abroad? Also, I got my jersey for free and I'll wear it until it disintegrates from the sweat before I'll spend hundreds of euros on looking like Home and Away cast member just to appease the worldly Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If I ever open a pub I'm going to have a Pratzky, Dutch Gold and Bavaria tap prominently displayed just to keep those **** out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

krudler wrote: »
    Childless people should get a reward for it, not a yearly thing, but a once off "hey thanks for not burdening the state further by having sprogs" payment.

They do.
    Its called "A lie in":D

Deeply religious and devout young people (think quoting the bible, basing all opinions on it) that are *my own age* creep the shoite out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

theTinker wrote: »
    -Repeatily cut dole and social payments for unemployment over time, eg every 1-2 months, knock 25% off. (this was more before the current recession).

As somebody who watched their mother cry down the phone to hold onto €30 a week for child benefit until we get our forms sorted out, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Unsure if this opinion will be popular or not, but I wish the Irish Government would cop the **** on about the position of gay couples in today's society. If I marry a man, I'm fine, everything's dandy. But God forbid I do the unthinkable and want to spend the rest of my life with a woman and raise a family with her!
    *grumble grumble*

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Deeply religious and devout young people (think quoting the bible, basing all opinions on it) that are *my own age* creep the shoite out of me!

I wouldn't consider that an unpopular opinion, it's actually quite rational and correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I can't stand Brendan Grace. He's been telling the same stupid jokes for the last 30 years. I don't know how he gets away with it.
    He was good in Fr. Ted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

this plus the political muppets who fail to notice that regardless of what side you take.. the public will still be treated the same...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

What an absolutely moronic statement. We spend so much time in this country trying to highlight mental health issues and I honestly thought headway was being made in terms of education and acceptance. But when I read something like that I despair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement