Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's strange/weird how you unionist posters are so caught up with religion! Most grown ups, certainly those under 30 years old, have little interest in that rubbish anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think that Duke's remarks are fair comment.

To be fair to you, there are few politicians who would be brave enough to say it, too busy being populist and conformist, so fair play to Dukes for calling out what goes on in the border regions, so if you prefer politicians who lie for votes, and you are more interested in votes than truth, it is a f*ck-up, but I prefer honesty myself.

To be fair to the people up there, it is not that much different to border regions the world over, many of them are exactly the same.

(1) I am not a unionist.

(2) I was only trying to bring some objective facts to a discussion between two other posters about how many Protestants are in Monaghan, it wasn't a debate I started.

(3) I was actually surprised that figures by county for religion weren't readily available, which just goes to show that I don't obsess about it by studying it all the time.

But, hey don't stop the vitriol for the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Dukes is retired from politics and has his pension to live off along with his other state benefits.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If you think that people in the border areas will allow you to file something like violence in blood as "fair commentary" you have a land coming your way.

The fact that you are trying to soft-soap it as such is very very on-brand Fine Gael.

Next up: Leo Varadkar visits the market in Limerick for what Fine Gael HQ are branding "Stab City Saturday". Local FG Limerick reps said to be delighted as evidence of the party "telling it like it is". Strong electoral performance expected.

By the way, there's nothing "brave" about a retired politician from a party with a well-earned reputation for being out of touch and classist leaking his prejudices about a region all over national television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's the story with the quinn children and the 88million judgement. If dukes knows money is in Switzerland and Turkey. Wasn't the settlement that the children had to help find the hidden money of face the judgement of 88million.

I wonder did the guards find anything interesting when they raided the house. I don't sean Quinn is directly the paymaster was aware of what was going on.

Be easier to have the paymaster in a different country who can't visit the South directing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Wouldn't have a clue mate. I'd assume at this stage that they have engaged the services of people who not a lot more on how to hide assets and money than Seanie or who he was dealing with at the time of the crash. That really was amateur hour.

I doubt they are struggling to pay the ESB or heat the house though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

realdanbreen threadbanned

It was a tasteless and unfair comment for Dukes to make. I don't disagree that there seems to be a blind eye turned to the intimidation up there but not everyone can be labelled.

I do feel that the local provos were unhappy about losing out on protection money and this may have fueled some of the carry on but someone was certainly still paying them to harass, kidnap and beat people.

The question is will that paymaster ever be brought to justice.

I wonder why AGS searched Seanies house last April.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭pjordan

The man that acted like that in America did 4 years in the White House with an orange face and nearly 50% of US voters love him!!! Whether he should be in jail or not is another question!!!

• Advertisement

Examples please of how Trump knowingly hid assets and move them out of reach of the Government and tax payer whilst owing billions due to making bad decisions.

Seanie was a mickey mouse business man in comparison to Trump. Trump managed to hold onto money for his kids and not gamble it all.

Ok, ok. I know this is boards and folks like to take their hobby-horses for a long walk in whatever thread they can, but this is NOT a thread about Trump, Jimmy Carter, Teddy Roosevelt it whatever US president you have the horn for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is this all the big distraction away from Quinn himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

Dukes was always a class 1 prick, would hang his own mother out to dry.

Not in the least. You can find my opinion on Quinn just a few short pages ago.

What we do have however is the usual line-up of FG die-hards trying to chummy-up a former leader and current back-room operator delivering a bottom of the barrell slur to a region of the country. That's the basic point, and they and Dukes shouldn't be let away with it.

They won't at election time btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’d have thought that things like housing and health would be foremost in people’s minds at election time, not some slight from a former party leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Not two posts back you managed to shoehorn some fantasy Leo varadkar scenario where he calls limerick stab City, hobby horse indeed

Such as Leo Varadkar and a fantasy about Limerick?

You are the one looking for links on something or other to do with Trump and are clearly posting defence of him.

Mate.

• Advertisement

If your lot let Dukes slur on the border counties slide and are content to soap it up, it would be right up Fine Gael's alley.

This is why many people quite rationally dislike Fine Gael by the way. A classic case where they should eat crow and recognise one of their number has gone off the reservation and uttered something disgraceful about a region of the country. Instead the pom-pom crew double-down and try to pal it up as normal commentary.

The punishment comes at election time, and it is coming at the party hard and fast. For much more than this by the way.

There'll be wailing and gnashing of teeth why the ungrateful masses don't return them to power, but when the votes get counted, you can guarantee you lot will entirely miss the point.

You're like the Borg, except in badly fitted suits.

The last Fine Gael candidate I gave a first preference to was in 1997 - Austin Currie. I have voted Green consistently since then in Local, General and European elections, with the exception of Joan Burton in 2002 and 2011 general elections.

My point about the border counties and four out of 19 seats still stands by the way. They may lose Donegal, but they will hold the other three.

Ah yeah it's just a mad coincidence you've been camped out on multiple thread in frenzied defence of Fine Gael for the best part of 24 months. Millions would doubt you blanch, but not I.

See you at election time. You're down to 1, and you can take it to Paddy Power. And you better hope your theories about sectarian headcounts and Heather Humphreys vote holds true as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 creamdog88

Dukes exudes what Fintan O' Toole once described as the FG belief that they were born to rule and no doubt considers himself some kind of sage. Is he suggesting that the people in that part of the country are genetically predisposed to violence, more so than in other parts of the country and doing so without giving any historical context in regard to the violence that was imposed on them. His comparison with people in 'South Tipperary' is ironic given that that county saw some of the most was most intense violence in the context of the War of Independence.

No, he wasn't suggesting that the people in that part of the country are genetically predisposed to violence, that is the type of hyperbolic reaction to his words that gives discussion a bad name..

I think we need a separate thread on Dukes tbh. I don't think his comments should deflect from the chaos caused by the Quinns.

Mate have a look what I was responding too. I didn't bring Trump into it. Some Quinn fanboy did.

"In the blood" is in the same postcode though isn't it ?

Keep the soft-soaping up. It's having the exact opposite effect of what you intend it to. All good in the hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The shinner PR machine has been in overdrive trying to keep the “focus” on Dukes instead of Quinn.

Did anyone else find it amusing, and worrying, when RTÉ showed an ad for the Late Late Show announcing Mary Lou McDonald as a guest? Ryan Tubridy saying she’ll be telling us what sort of Ireland she wants, right after the reenactment of provos terrorising private citizens on their way to work.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 creamdog88

Didn't he say that "violence is in their blood", why couldn't he have said "certain people in that area who have no qualms in resorting to violence" which is true of anywhere you would care to mention. I would doubt it was a case of choosing his words badly as there was almost a contempt in the way he said it. I am not from that part of the country and to be honest I couldn't understand what I would regard as the undue and unquestioning reverence of some of the people up there for Sean Quinn. Notice I say 'some', unlike Dukes I wouldn't make a rash generalisation about a whole region.

Advertisement