Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the tri suit fits, wear it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Haha, no fear there, you have quite the buffer in place between us.. I've been watching!! :P

Congratulations!

This is a RunKeeper FitnessAlert to let you know that you achieved the following milestones with your most recent running activity:

Farthest distance

woop woop! :)

According to the plan, I should have been running this at 5:00/5:05km pace, I knew I wasn't gonna hold that down for the full run though, as I haven't been doing enough running lately, and the long bike yesterday, I was expecting tired legs. To be fair, I came out around the average that I was expecting at 5:24. I was hemorrhaging time for the last 3k though. Probably not the wisest to have my longest run to date end going uphill. :rolleyes: Was on a 5:14 average I think, before that section, so looking back on the run, when not cursing myself going up the hills, it wasn't so bad.

http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/70605553

15.34km / 1:22:50. b54dvo.jpg

Was planning on cycling to college today, as I need more bike time, and I can't really afford the petrol of getting in anymore :o, but I slept in a little bit, left on my run far too late, and now can't find the detachable pannier to take my bag, so driving it is. Will get to the pool later at least. Got my hands on a lane timetable, so I'm trying to plan my swims around when there should be a slow lane :)

Hit the slow lane both last night and this morning. Last night wasn't a particularly great swim, but I hadn't been to the pool in a couple of days. I notice that despite the kicking drills I do, where i do notice improvement, I don't carry this on to the freestyle or pull buoy lengths. Unless I concentrate on it, and everything else goes to pot! :rolleyes:

This morning was much better though. Found it a lot easier to slow down and concentrate on my technique. I find that over a couple of sessions, I concentrate on one or two aspects and then completely forget that I'm supposed to do other stuff. Like today, I felt I made good ground on the timing of my arms, as in, leaving my left arm out for longer, till my right arm hits the water, as opposed to windmilling. However, in doing that I completely forgot to stretch myself out on each stroke :o. Think I might start writing down what I need to concentrate on in each session. That might help :) Just finished up in time for them to take away the slow lane and accommodate the kids swimming lessons.

One of the pool staff came over to me towards the end of this morning and asked me if I left my clothes in the cubicle :P. I saw go around to everyone in the pool, as well as the sauna and steam room, but it didn't look like he found the culprit. Either the gym had a naked chap wandering around its hallways, or else someone was too embarrassed to admit to it.

Anyway, two of the same sessions:

200 buoy
    50 kick
    200 buoy
    50 kick
    150 freestyle

leads to a total of 1300 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Anyway, two of the same sessions:

200 buoy
    50 kick
    200 buoy
    50 kick
    150 freestyle

leads to a total of 1300 :)

Well done! And Happy Valentine's Day to you!!!

Ah, Valentines day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPqDD5ABk1s :P

Hope you enjoyed yours too :)

Keeping in line with seemingly everyone on boards, I fell sick over the week. Got back on track today with a 5 mile road race. Wasn't too sure what to expect with the longer than anticipated rest, and I gorged myself the night before :O

http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/71407365

I'm happy enough I guess. Could have done better if I had been a bit more sensible the day before, and if I simply paced myself. I knew I was going too fast at the start, and didn't slow down, and suffered the consequences.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention this. My left shin is killing me after today. It's okay to walk in and stuff, but if I try bend my knee beyond a certain point, it becomes quite sore. Onset of shin splints? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done insink, that's some time in the 5 miler. Hope the knee is ok, it might just be an immediate reaction thing and might be gone tomorrow hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ah, Valentines day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPqDD5ABk1s :P

Hope you enjoyed yours too :)

Keeping in line with seemingly everyone on boards, I fell sick over the week. Got back on track today with a 5 mile road race. Wasn't too sure what to expect with the longer than anticipated rest, and I gorged myself the night before :O

http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/71407365

I'm happy enough I guess. Could have done better if I had been a bit more sensible the day before, and if I simply paced myself. I knew I was going too fast at the start, and didn't slow down, and suffered the consequences.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention this. My left shin is killing me after today. It's okay to walk in and stuff, but if I try bend my knee beyond a certain point, it becomes quite sore. Onset of shin splints? :(

Just sitting here wondering which one of those fellas you most resemble. I'm guessing the dude who runs 20 miles a week. ;)

Nice run!! Not so sure it's shin splints you are coming down with...but I'm not an expert either. Perhaps someone else would know.

Fingers crossed it'll go away, I've never had a proper injury before :S

I have no idea if its shin splints either, I just have a sore shin from running today, and shin splints is pretty much the only thing that I know that can go wrong with your shin :pac:

Went to get my stuff together to cycle to college tomorrow... aaaaaand my stepmother had thrown away my detachable pannier. How does one decide to just up and throw away a functional looking piece of metal, in perfect condition, with screws attached to it? :mad::mad:

I've packed a rucksack instead, ready for tomorrow, because I need more bike time, I just don't fancy cycling with a rucksack on my back. Hopefully the cycling doesn't aggravate my shin, but I guess there's only one way to find out!

Time to go shopping for a new pannier :rolleyes:

Pic of me at the race yesterday....

2m3o6s1.jpg

Cycled into college today. Had a debate with myself as to whether commuting miles "count", but I figured that I commute on the same bike, in the same clothes, with the same intensity as I would do when normally cycling, I just happen to have a bag on my back. So I figure they count :)

So I commuted Monday and Tuesday, to the total of around 64k or so. Both rides on monday are about a km short as I didn't have time for the garmin to locate satellites :rolleyes:

http://app.strava.com/rides/4370995
    http://app.strava.com/rides/4370991
    http://app.strava.com/rides/4341329
    http://app.strava.com/rides/4341327

Wanted to go for a swim, but couldn't make it to the pool, worked 7pm-3am the last two nights, as well as a full college load! :eek: Will definitely make it today though (not really looking forward to it, it's been a while! :S). Happy enough with how the cycling is going, seeing as I have a big bag on my back, and it has been quite windy. Have a bit more time this morning, so will add a bit of distance to the commute. Still working for the rest of the week, but thankfully, we worked hard the last two nights, so no need to hang around late anymore :)

On the running side of things, haven't ran since Sunday, my shin is still a little niggly at times, I might go out tonight after work for a feeler type run, just to see how it's holding up.

• Advertisement

No running. No Swimming. My shin is still sore. There is a Triathlon shop nearby, and I need to head in there to pick up a few things tomorrow before work. To the best of my knowledge they have an in-house physio and nearly all the staff come from a running background, so I'll ask for advice there. (Also, the race I hurt myself at was sponsored by them :rolleyes: ) Simply haven't had a chance to swim. Today brings to an end a very hectic 5 days.. 27 hours in work, bigger college load than normal as well as commuting by bike instead of car. Some highlights of the week:

Found a packet of McVities biscuits that went off in December 2001!
    evidence

I bought a Turbo! Some might argue that it makes little sense buying one at this time of year, but I got the Tacx Flow from bike24 for 270ish including delivery, and it retails at ~500 here in Cork, soooo... It'll be a bit of craic at least :pac:

Stuck to my guns on commuting by bike, totalled 171km just going in and out of college! :) (Hoping to add to that at the weekend :)) Gained some ground on Bally8 on the bike too! Better watch out!

Night time cycling is seriously cool.

Not really much else to report on the week. College is going pretty well at the moment, wish my training could follow suit :). Tomorrow should set a few things in motion though, getting back to the pool, and asking for help with my shin :o

Gained some ground on Bally8 on the bike too! Better watch out!

Ooooh you might just regret saying that :D I love a challenge!!

You and me both Bally8 :)

So the weekend sort of fell apart training wise. Was called into work early on Saturday, and went to a birthday Saturday night. By the time I dragged myself out of that stupor, it was time to whip out my laptop and start my Java project, rather than head to the pool or out on the bike.. :rolleyes:

Back on the horse today. Went to the pool, was quite apprehensive, but pleased to say the little bit of technique I have mastered doesn't seem to have disintegrated, but my stamina certainly did. Felt like I was swimming in Jelly towards the end

200m buoy / 50 kick / 200 buoy / 50 kick / 100m frontcrawl.

Commuted in and out of college too. Had to take the marginally shorter way home, as I had to drop a friend into college again for the night. 33.2km. Knocked a nice bit of time from my commuting PR's on strava segments. Need to get out and have a bash off them without the bag on my back. Got my inwards trip down to sub40mins, which I'm happy with.

On the subject of the run, my shin is still sore. I've started icing it and wearing compression socks(not really expecting anything from this, but it can't do any harm). It doesn't seem to be getting any better,however, and I'm thinking I need to go and see a physio. Sigh.

More commuting: Another 66.4km.

Damaged my chain and I was worried a little more through some rather silly cycling yesterday evening. Chanced it going into college today, and it was rather tooth-grindingly painful to hear my pride and joy click around the gears by herself. I booked in for a service next week, but by the time I had got her home, I said I'd call into the LBS to see if a new chain might tide it over till next week. Seems a new chain was the only problem! :) She behaved herself on the way home from the shop, so tomorrow's commute will tell. Still want to get a general service, but I might push it back a week as I have a some pretty big deadlines in college, so driving in and out would be nice around then, a perfect time to send the bike in! Also means I can still make it out with the club this weekend. Day ended on a high, if I say so myself :D

Haven't made the pool since monday, but I have two windows in which to do so tomorrow, so that shouldn't be a problem. Shin is still bad. Might book a physio appointment when I get paid on Friday.

3 more days commuting on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Thursday's commutes, in and out, both ended up somehow being .1km longer, despite every other trip being the same. Not an issue, just made me smile. Total of 100km.

Saturday's commute was just to the pool, moreso than college. Got there very late, did 350m before it was time to leave. Broken down into
    300 pull
    50 kick

Felt good enough considering my total lack of swimming lately, need to get on this next week. On the way home from the pool, I got caught in a shower of hailstones. Far from pleasant, very very far from pleasant :rolleyes:

Went out agan with the tri-club this morning. Went to a late showing of Safe House last night, so coming home at 2am, wasn't really feeling getting up in 5 hours to make it in. I did however, and am extremely happy I did. The group was much smaller this time. 7 started in the fast group, and we lost one at the coffee stop. This meant there was more time at the front and a lot faster than the last time. I really plugged myself in and if I'm honest, I'm delighted with the way i held up, even going solo on the way home, I had enough to keep a ~32km/h average. The only issues I had were that I never brought overshoes, and I'm just getting the feeling back in my toes now, and over the course of the three hours, I went through 1 small cup of coffee, and half a bottle of water. I didn't feel thirsty, but at the same time, I don't think this is enough fluids. (If it is, I could have just left the second bottle at home and benefitted from weight reduction ;) ) Got plenty of compliments anyway from the others about my bike strength, especially since I only started last summer. All in all, a very good spin :D

http://app.strava.com/rides/4777029

On the running/shin front. Still no running. I'm not sure if my shin is actually improving, or I'm convincing myself out of desperation (more likely :pac: ), but I think I might brave a feeler run tonight after work. See how I go at least. I also need to some core/stretching/rolling, as I have neglected it a lot.

As far as the SBR challenge goes. Lost a lot of ground on the run recently, and couple of spots on the swim, however, I have pretty much balanced it out with the cycling. Quietly creeping up behind you on the front Bally8 :), you still have me overall though:p

As far as the SBR challenge goes. Lost a lot of ground on the run recently, and couple of spots on the swim, however, I have pretty much balanced it out with the cycling. Quietly creeping up behind you on the front Bally8 :), you still have me overall though:p

I'm starting to panic-all your commuting kms- I just cant compete :(. You're going to pass me out soon and leave me for dust!

Where are you insink?

Been serving a self imposed internet ban until the end of college term, just to try and sort out projects. (not really working as i have my last one due on Tuesday and here I am :rolleyes:) Other than that, catching you on the bike! :)

Since my last update, I had more or less a week off the bike, with no running, just a couple of swims to try and fix my shin. No go. Am booking a physio on Tuesday. Swimming doesn't really seem to be coming on all that well, but I'm sticking at it. What else can I do? :)

Cycling has been my forte for the past while. Knocked out a few PRs on commutes, that I'm happy with, and had two great spins with the tri club. Only four of us out today, so we all got our turn on the front. Really good spin! A lot less dilly dallying too. Don't really see the point in linking my commutes, if anyone is that interested, you can find my profile through the rides I already linked :)
    http://app.strava.com/rides/5366541 85.2k @ 29km avg.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/5057428 72.0 @ 26.2km avg

I was in an awful mood last tuesday when I arrived into college, and hour of Activity Based Costing didn't really appeal to me, so I went out for a tester run. 2.97k at a slow enough pace. i don't think my shin troubled me at the time, I think any "pain" i felt was me just being paranoid. It was certainly stiffer than normal afterwards, and it's really bothering me now. Looking forward to having the issue put to bed.

As I mentioned above, it's project season, and with the copius amount of time I spend in front of a computer coding VB and Java, I have also been eating copius amounts of sh1te. To be honest, I'm afraid to weigh myself :/. Will be good for a few days first, before i hit the scales, try and limit the damage :O

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good to hear from you. :) An internet ban? What is this heresy??

Been serving a self imposed internet ban until the end of college term, Other than that, catching you on the bike! :)

Grrrrrr!!

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Good to hear from you. :) An internet ban? What is this heresy??

College work. Spending all the time in front of a computer programming, it takes quite a lot of discipline to not creep on to facebook or boards for a few minutes hours.

All handed up now though. :)

Good news on the swimming front. Can't access the pool anymore, as I haven't paid my college registration fee yet. Guess it's an added incentive. Doing plenty of cycling, and not much else. Still haven't gotten my shin seen to, but it does seem to be improving. Have April off to study for exams, so hopefully should see an increase in disciplined training too :).

EDIT: In terms of actually logging :pac: Two commutes totalling to ~66k. Might not commute today, but will get some sort of cycle in at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Its good to hear your shin has improved! Physios can be expensive

Didn't get the cycle in, let it off till tomorrow. I did however, at long long long last, see a physio about my shin.

Went to a physio that has an office inside the big Triathlon store in Cork - The Edge. Really wasn't what I was expecting. I expected to go in and have someone poke at my shin for twenty minutes, and charge me crazy money for the privilege

Instead, for the seriously cheap(in my opinion/lack of experience) sum of €40, I went in, she consulted with me about my problem, poked about for a bit, told me what she thinks the problem is, told me how she wants to go about treating it, and how long it should hopefully take.
    She then fully massaged my left(problem) leg.
    Attached two pads, on the problem area and my quad, and did some electrotherapy? It tickled anyway :pac:
    She went at it with some ultrasound for a while.
    She treated it with infra-red heat.
    Quickly massaged it again, and booked me in for a second appointment on Tuesday, and sent me home with a list of exercises to do three times a day.

Not sure how these prices compare with other physios, but I was certainly expecting it to be more! Anyway, her diagnosis is a mix up of patellar tendonitis and compartment syndrome. She said untreated, it can lead to some syndrome that I forget the name of(it was a German sounding name). If everything goes according to plan, I should be clear to run again in twooooooooooooooo weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks. :):):D

The massage was kinda ticklish for quite a bit, with some parts digging in deep and being quite painful. She told me that my hamstrings are particularly tight. All in all I really enjoyed it. My left leg feels so much better than my right leg now though :pac:

Funny, I would have called someone crazy a year ago, if they told me there would come a time where I would be excited about the prospect of being able to run again. (I blame everyone here for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Thats a very reasonable price.I would have been expecting it to cost a lot more also.2 Weeks isn't that long to wait if all goes well! :)

Two cycles to report over the weekend. Went out with two friends yesterday, but we had some mechanical issues with one of the just serviced bikes(rear brake pads were on back to front, and slipped off going down a hill :eek:) Thankfully, nobody was hurt, and we got it sorted. Time wasn't our friend in the end though, and cut the route short to ~30k. First day this year going out in shorts and short sleeved jersey. It was magical! :) Put some solid work down on the tan lines :cool:

http://app.strava.com/rides/5655489

Out with the tri club this morning. Nearly missed it, having slept in, and the hour change and all that. Small group of 8 split into 4s, for a fast and slow group. Enjoyable spin. Started out nice and fast for the first half, but after the coffee stop everyone seemed content at tipping along and I kinda wanted to up the ante and see how it would pan out. Held it back anyway, and chatted as we cruised along. Avg speed took a bit of a hit as a result, but what harm. Braved shorts heading out on the cold morning, but I couldn't handle short sleeves, and a I can't find one of my arm warmers, so I had to resort to the only available base layer I had - an extra warm one :S. It was fine at the start, but boy was I feeling it on the last hill in the blazing sunshine :pac:

90.4k. http://app.strava.com/rides/5691865

Moved into 16th on the bike in the SBR. For now. I imagine given the quality of the weather there is gonna be some big bike updates this weekend. Would love absolutely nothing more now, than to head out for a run. The weather is truly smashing. Cannot wait to get my shin issue sorted!! Keeing at the stretches the physio prescribed and have been icing my shin too have cycles just to try and offset and strain they might put on.

Since the beginning of this log, my weight hasn't really changed, and it's gonna have to move south if I'm gonna make decent improvements (also it will help to be at my goal weight when I go to buy a wetsuit). Might consider keeping a food diary, as even with all the cycling I have been doing, my diet is absolute pants.

Well done on the cycling insink, you're flying it. As for the weight thing, I know exactly where you are coming from. I am doing all this training and so my appetite is huge and instead of feeding it good things I cant stop eating crap. I really dont know how to stop myself- every well intentioned morning turns into a crapfest by that night. Imagine how fit we would be if we could cop on a bit:)

Haha, I know the exact feeling Bally8 :)

Nothing yesterday. Went to the physio today. She massaged out my quad and calf, poked at my shin a bit, played with my knee for a while, and gave it extra attention with the infrared heat, ultrasound and electrotherapy.
    She wants to give me a week now, to see how I'm doing then, so I'm gonna have to take it easy for the week (In this weather!! :mad:). Charity sportive on Sunday that I'll still do, but might go out for a short easy spin between now and then. Gonna have to find something to do in the meantime to try and keep my fitness up, and weight down(more like stagnant/rising :rolleyes). Had plans to go out kayaking when I got home, but the tide is out. I can't get into my pool till I pay my fees, so I might even chance a supervised OW swim tomorrow, since the weather is so nice... :eek:

If i don't post here again, call the coast guard.. :P

If i don't post here again, call the coast guard.. :P

Well did you drown?:D

Nah, I didn't make it out :o

I bought a weighing scales/body fat calculator that came recommended from El Director's log. Because buying crap you don't need is TOTALLY the same as training :rolleyes:. Anyway, I set up my profile, put myself in as a male athlete(lol), weight was 96.2kg with 13.6% bodyfat. Mulled it over during breakfast, decided it was far too low, went back and changed my profile to just male. Put on 400grams over breakfast, and my bf% rocketed to 19.8% :o A much more realistic figure :)

If any of ye saw me over the last few days, one would think I was gonna lay some roots in either the bed or the nearest chair 'Tis the beginning of study month, and I've been just finishing off a few things for college before the final straight to the exams. ALL I WANT TO DO IS GO FOR A RUN. :mad: Just the thought of therapeutic plodding around for an hour has my mouth water at the prospect. Woke up this morning to find my shin worse than it's been in the last few weeks. It better be a "get worse before it gets better" type deal. I'll be back at the physio on Monday anyway, and I can tak to her about it.

In summary: The most training I have done in the last 5 days are the stretches the physio gets me to do.

• Advertisement

So two swims over the weekend. 500m on Saturday, 600m on Sunday. Nice to get back in the pool. Will probably head over this evening as well. While I don't see any improvements in my technique these days, I think I'm becoming more self aware in the water, as in, I realise what I'm doing wrong, and where I'm doing it. So if I just start hitting the pool with a mental plan in place, I think I might start seeing some improvements.

Went to the physio, and after a quick chat about everything, and another massage, I've been given the go ahead to go out for a short feeler jog tomorrow. I'm to take it easy, and walk-run, similar to a couch to 5k thing, for no more than 20mins. Can't wait!!

Advertisement