Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the tri suit fits, wear it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

So RacoonQueen sent me this link that looks really great http://www.swimsmooth.com/

Wanted to get to the pool this evening, to try it out, but the aforementioned early starts meant I couldn't really face it. Went for a run, and was supposed to hit the pool afterwards, but wussed out :o. Luckily, tomorrow morning is my last midweek 4:15am start, and I'll be going back to doing it just most saturdays.

On the topic of the run, I think my GF has bailed on me as a regular running partner, at least for time being, so I started looking around at other marathon plans that included interval training. Found one, can't remember the name, that started with 10min warmup, 1min fast, 3min easy x6, 10 min warmdown. It was my first time trying something like this, and only my second run in about 16/17 days. Obviously, I failed :P

I set out the interval times on runkeeper. Possibly ran the easy parts too fast or else I' just out of practice, then at the fifth interval, got the order of the fast/easy mixed up, but I was pretty wrecked at that point, so ran back to the car instead. I also somehow managed to forget to key in the 6th interval :rolleyes:. For what it's worth, my times/pace were:

10min warmup @ 5:15/km
    series of 1min fast || 3mins slow paces
    3:58/km || 4:51/km || 4:10/km || 5:08/km || 3:54/km || 5:19/km || 4:18/km || 5:21/km || 4:31/km
    and then I fecked up the intervals and just started running home, ignoring the instructions. Times worked out at
    1m @ 5:42/km
    3m @ 5:49/km
    5m31s @ 5:25/km (roughly)

7.17km / 36:30 / 5:05km avg

I enjoyed it though, and I definitely pushed myself more than I would just plodding off for however long. I'll trawl my history and see what plan that was, and see what else they mention on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've sent that email - just in case it goes into your spam folder.

Swim smooth has some good info for those of us who don't have a background in swimming alright. I've found it fairly useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Mr. Smooth needs to work on achieving a little more upper body definition and "V" shape physique. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great log, some great info and tips.

I'm in the same boat as yourself re swimming and going through same frustrations. Some sessions are fine, others feel like I'm making no progress at all. So many variables too. Keep plugging away. From what I can see, all levels want to improve their stroke.

I've sent that email - just in case it goes into your spam folder.

Swim smooth has some good info for those of us who don't have a background in swimming alright. I've found it fairly useful.

I got the email thanks. :) Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but thanks for going to the effort! I really am grateful:)
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Mr. Smooth needs to work on achieving a little more upper body definition and "V" shape physique. ;)

Ummm.... English please? :P:pac:
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great log, some great info and tips.

I'm in the same boat as yourself re swimming and going through same frustrations. Some sessions are fine, others feel like I'm making no progress at all. So many variables too. Keep plugging away. From what I can see, all levels want to improve their stroke.

Yeah, at the moment I am really just relying on blind faith in the program. There's plenty of time anyway, so I have leeway for things to go wrong :)

Went to the pool on Wednesday. Cant really remember how it went, other than there were these guys intent on just standing in the way of everybody, and talking, rather than swimming :mad: 750m

Yesterday consisted of doing three things that I am bad at:
    Consistent running, Ice Skating and Swimming.

Well I guess I am being a little hard on myself about the consistent running. I had runkeeper tell me my current pace every minute(or two minutes, I don't remember), and there were some rather large variations, but the km paces were pretty okay. The plan was 2miles easy, 2 miles PMP, 2 miles easy. I misjudged the distance, and ended up only doing about 1/1.2 miles of the second easy, but I now know how I can alter that route for future sessions. Splits were (in km)
    5:38 / 5:41 / 5:44 / 4:50 / 4:36 / 4:45 / 5:16 /5:36 / 5:35 = 8.47km

The fast running still not as consistent as I would like, but I feel that it is getting better.

Ice Skating next. I had been once before, when I was 16, and spent more time with my arse on the ice, than my feet. This time, however, whilst I was brutal at the start, I only fell twice, and I was getting the hang of it towards the end. I feel that if I had been let loose in the rink by myself, with as much space as I needed, I would have clicked with it. Tempted to take up rollerblading in the summer, just so I can be good at it next year :rolleyes:

Swimming. Particularly bad session, I feel. My legs were tired, no improvement on the breathing. Nothing to do but keep at it :) 550m.

Shock Horror, I think I might get the chance to go out on my bike today :eek:

• Advertisement

Ummm.... English please? :P:pac:

How about I explain the upper body definition "V" shape thingy with the assistance of Michael Phelps? :D Mr. Smooth, eat your heart out!

phelps_438v2.jpg

Michael+Phelps-ASG-016925.jpg

It's funny when I look at this, because they list his low body fat to his advantage, but the other day in the pool, I heard someone explaining to somebody else about some girl's stroke as they watched her, saying that she would have a higher percentage of body fat than the other guy, which keeps her higher in the water, so therefore she is better. I know for a fact that this isn't true, because if higher body fat made you higher in the water, then I'd probably hover a couple of inches above the surface :pac:

RQ, I've watched the first half of that video, and it does have some helpful tips! Will get around to watching the rest later, but I already have a list of things I must try when I get to the pool tomorrow :)

So to get through the last couple of sessions:

Bike. http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/65140736. 60.40km / 2:16:22 / 26.57km/h avg / 539m climbed.

Didn't eat properly before, didn't bring money or food, bar one bag of jellybeans. Was fine* for the first 25km. Struggled after that. Time wasn't too awful in comparison to previous attempts at the same route, but a lot of time could be shaved off, no doubt.

*Fine, considering my lack of cycling. Bad would a more accurate assessment :rolleyes:

Swimming x 2. Friday and Saturday. 400m and 600m. Saturday's session was the better of the two. At the moment I'm doing just varied orders of kickboard, freestyle with buoy, and freestyle without buoy. Will add to that next week on the back of the video so kindly provided by RacoonQueen :)

Running. 8 miles @ PMP +30 (5:15/km ish).
    The plan was to do this on Saturday morning. Didn't happen. The plan changed to doing this Saturday evening. Didn't happen. Sunday morning. Didn't happen. Eventually I hauled my sorry ass out this afternoon. Started out quite stiff and slow, and was slightly worried. Found my stride though and plodded on. Reached the halfway hill, turned around, and began to struggle on the way back. I have an audio cue of current pace every two minutes, with the pace hitting as slow as 5:57 on the flat (into the wind granted), and I was beginning to worry, but looking back over the stats, km splits were pretty ok for what I wanted. Should have ran up and down my driveway for the extra 330m to hit 30km for the week :rolleyes:

http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/65464539 14.03 km / 5:10m/km / 1:12:35
    4:56 / 5:07 / 5:14 / 5:04 / 4:58 / 4:58 / 5:17 / 5:18 / 5:10 / 5:13 / 5:18 / 5:22 / 5:13 / 5:18 / 5:09

Highlight of the run had to be passing out a lady on a bike :D granted she was with her young child on a bike with stabilisers, but shhhhhh! :pac:

Weekly Summary:

Swimming x 5. 2.9km. Happy with the number of sessions. Just waiting(hoping) the quality will improve with it.

Cycling x 1. 60.40km. Wanted to get 2x 60.40km cycles in, and one shorter ~25 in. Obviously that didn't happen. A little bit pissed off, seeing as I technically had the time to do it, if I had just managed it properly, but I think at the same time, I might be going a little hard on myself, considering my awkward work schedule, with college at the start of the week. Next week will have an improvement ;)

Running x 3. 29.67km. Happy enough with how the sessions went I guess, not particularly the first one, but teething problems were always going to happen. Gonna repeat the week again, since I have the time, and I think it will stand to me, having done it full and proper. If I had done the 8 miles when I had planned to, I had intentions of doing a couple of hill repeats today, as three run sessions seemed a little like slacking off. Alas, it did not happen, but what harm :).

In other news, I am doing the Cork City Marathon, nothing will change that (bar injury), but I also really wanted to do the WW200, but its the sunday after the bank holiday monday marathon... I sincerely doubt I'll be able for it, which is a big disappointment. Blah. Also, 17th in the SBR challenge. Firmly mid table. Happy with that :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ha you've watched more of that video than I have, in my possession two years and still not watched. I'm nearly finished my family guy and american dad boxsets it'll get it's moment in the sun then. :cool:

So tried some things from the video.. As expected, I sucked at them, bad. :D. Last night's swim was kind of special though, apparently there was a fire alarm, so we all had to get out, and stand at the side until given the all clear. I thought that in the pool would have been one of the safest places, during a fire :P. Spiced it up a bit. Made big progress on the kick drills. I somehow just seemed to be travelling at almost twice the speed I normally manage. Will try keep that up :). Was a little pushed for time, as I arrived late, but an OK session. Definitely have had worse :cool:

450m.

Am repeating week 1 again, as I messed up the intervals of the first session last week, and I just think it will stand to me, and I have a couple of weeks leeway too. So today went out for the interval session. This was a much better attempt. It's amazing the difference a week can make in fitness :). Ran the recovery intervals at the same pace, but ran the fast minutes faster, and steadier. They hurt like hell, but I assume that's what I'm aiming for. Was worried that I had only set the cues for 5 intervals, and come the end of the fifth one, I had come to terms and was happily waiting for the voice to tell me warm down. Off she went into the 6th one, and I cursed myself for getting it right :rolleyes:. The last interval was a little slower than the others, but still faster than anything I knocked out last week. Looking back on it, I was particularly happy with the session. :). Didn't finish the warmdown fully, but I was a little under pressure for time as I was running during a break in college. Had another 9 minutes to go, and I felt good, so I definitely would have managed it, I just didn't have time.
    http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/65776641

7.22km / 36:57

10:00 @ 5:46
    1:00 @ 3:29
    3:00 @ 5:31
    1:00 @ 3:32
    3:00 @ 5:28
    1:00 @ 3:26
    3:00 @ 5:26
    1:00 @ 3:35
    3:00 @ 5:40
    1:00 @ 3:30
    3:00 @ 5:40
    1:00 @ 3:56
    15:00 @ 5:25

Made big progress on the kick drills. I somehow just seemed to be travelling at almost twice the speed I normally manage.

I'm curious...do you think there was more or less splash from your kick during this faster session?

• Advertisement

Made big progress on the kick drills. I somehow just seemed to be travelling at almost twice the speed I normally manage.

I'm curious...do you think there was more or less splash from your kick during this faster session?

More splash, definitely. I used to barely get any splash, now I have a small bit, even though the, video that interested linked said that there shouldn't be any splashing...

More splash, definitely. I used to barely get any splash, now I have a small bit, even though the, video that interested linked said that there shouldn't be any splashing...

Yeah, usually a powerful kick doesn't have much splash. You're probably starting to get proper form and strength now, but do watch that. For a swimmer, forward thrust is generated by giving water mass backward momentum, so keep that in mind with both your kick and your stroke. Kicking air (big splash) is useless to you....and your goal with your stroke should be to move the most possible amount of water forecefully down past your toes. It's all about movement of water.

Was swimming Tuesday night again. Paid more attention to my kick splashing. It doesn't really splash that much, its more that I can hear my left foot on eery second kick or so, making a wooshing noise. I remember when I was a kid and kicking with the board, I used be able to feel the water splashed by my kick hitting the back of my head. It's certainly not that bad :pac:

450m

Day off college yesterday, should have gone for a cycle, or a run, or both, or anything for that matter. I didn't. Spent the entire day in front of the computer putting the finishing touches on my CV, writing cover letters, and doing verbal and numeracy assessments. Deadlines, Deadlines, Deadlines. :o

I've fallen a bit behind with college and some other things, and I've basically banned myself from doing any training till I get it all done. (Not sure if being forced to stay in my warm house and not train is as much of a motivator as I had originally planned :pac: )

Should hopefully get enough done to make it out for a cycle tomorrow, if not, a run Saturday AM.

*watches SBR challenge zoom past*

So the last few days were an important lesson in time management. Trying to train as often as I can, along with 20hours of lectures a week, 16-20 hrs of work, extra-cirricular college stuff, procrastinating in my hours between lectures in my computer labs on places like facebook and reddit, as well as making time to see my girlfriend and friends. There isn't enough hours in the day :o. The obvious thing to improve on here is the periods between lectures, need to be efficient and turn that time into study time, to free up the evenings...

Because of the above, I havent done anything since my last post, until tonight. Went for a swim. It felt good to be back in the pool, and I think my stroke almost improved with the break. There were times where I really felt like I was flying it :). My stamina though, was understandably down, and I was panting hard after a the three sets of 50s I did.

Broken up, the swim was:
    100m pull buoy
    50m kick.
    100m freestyle
    100m pull buoy
    50m kick
    100m pull buoy
    100m freestyle

600m total.

Am I spending too much time with the buoy? Not enough on kick? As regards splashing, my first 50 was good, but the second one, I was tired, and I splashed a bit more than I should have.

Interval run tomorrow, and depending on what time I get out of work, I'll either tear into town for another swim, or go home and do some rolling/corework. Need to get money together for another couple of swim lessons too :) Got my TI card in the post, looking forward to making good use of it.

I also made a bet with a friend of mine, who is a much better swimmer than me (can do ~600/700m continuous freestyle, although with his head above water) in one pop, a bet that I would beat him out of the water in my "A" race, assuming he does it, that is. Yes, I was drunk :o. And I now have roughly a weeks wages resting on the outcome of this race :eek: :p.

Broken up, the swim was:
    100m pull buoy
    50m kick.
    100m freestyle
    100m pull buoy
    50m kick
    100m pull buoy
    100m freestyle

600m total.

Am I spending too much time with the buoy? Not enough on kick? As regards splashing, my first 50 was good, but the second one, I was tired, and I splashed a bit more than I should have.

So, 300 pull buoy, 200 free, 100 kick. In my humble opinion (and if interested is out there, please jump in), I think that this breakdown is okay for the moment. I do think that the pull buoy will give you great value since your upper body/stroke is what will be most important to you (especially in a wet suit) in a triathlon, and since you are still learning the proper way to swim. Make sure you stroke correctly and don't get sloppy thus reinforcing bad habits. I think eventually you'll want to rack up more laps just swimming w/out the toys, but then you can supplement a portion of your swim sessions close to 50/50 with the toys.

Cool, thanks :), I'll keep that in mind. Where do I draw the line though between proper stroke and swim fitness? Like, I assume that if I hit the pool five days a week, doing a length, focusing on my stroke, rinse and repeat, I'm not really building up too much fitness?

As in, I can do one length now as it stands, with a stroke that im happy(ish) with, but if I turn and do the next 25, I start to flail about a little(probably closer to a lot :P )bit after about half way. I assume what I'm meant to do is maybe split the session 2/3 working on my technique, and 1/3 trying to keep my technique more swimlike and less drownlike as I try to cover as much distance as possible, to build up fitness?
    I should have another few lessons lined up come the end of January too, hopefully :).

Had planned getting up before college for this interval run. Woke up maybe 20 mins before my alarm, heard rain outside, and I groaned.It wasn't particularly heavy though. "Maybe it will be a little drier in 20 mins I thought". Two and a half hours later, I guess I got one of the fast intervals in, as I bombed through the house grabbing my stuff left right and centre before tearing off to college :o. Also, realised I left my towel in the swimming pool last night :rolleyes:

Got home from work tonight, planning to go straight out for a run. Got in, there was dinner ready for me(a real luxury), and my phone needed to be charged before I went out (Runkeeper). 50 minutes of debate later, I kicked my arse out the door. Obviously though, my brain had disconnected itself from coherent thought (probably in protest of the upcoming run) and I ended up taking a route where 3 and a half of my fast intervals were uphill. :confused::confused:
    http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/66911558
    2pzz19x.jpg

I've had better runs, and I was quite tired towards the end, but I'm happy to have it done, as I need to get out on the bike tomorrow, and I didn't want this nagging at me for the day.

You definitely do not want to put in laps with poor technique - that only breeds very bad habits that are hard to break. If you get sloppy as you fatigue, then take a break...catch your breath....stretch out your muscles....then go again. Also, alternate pull and kick, thus working and resting muscle groups so fatigue will be less of a factor. What I might consider if I were in your shoes (or flippers) is start your swim session with 50 or 100 pull, then 50 or 100 kick. Repeat this several times. Not only will this isolate stroke and kick so you can practice technique, but it might help conserve energy so you can put in more laps....then, end your session with swimming, employing what you just practiced....resting/stretching in between laps.....then go until you can't lift your arms over your head, thus indicating proper exhaustion.

See how this goes, and as you make progress, adjustments will probably need to be made to up the swimming and reduce the pull and kick. Again, interested may have better/more insight....and your instructor may also give you valuable advice. :)

You definitely do not want to put in laps with poor technique - that only breeds very bad habits that are hard to break. If you get sloppy as you fatigue, then take a break...catch your breath....stretch out your muscles....then go again. Also, alternate pull and kick, thus working and resting muscle groups so fatigue will be less of a factor. What I might consider if I were in your shoes (or flippers) is start your swim session with 50 or 100 pull, then 50 or 100 kick. Repeat this several times. Not only will this isolate stroke and kick so you can practice technique, but it might help conserve energy so you can put in more laps....then, end your session with swimming, employing what you just practiced....resting/stretching in between laps.....then go until you can't lift your arms over your head, thus indicating proper exhaustion.

See how this goes, and as you make progress, adjustments will probably need to be made to up the swimming and reduce the pull and kick. Again, interested may have better/more insight....and your instructor may also give you valuable advice. :)

I'll keep all of that in mind, thanks! :). I passed on the clumsy but with gusto comment to my girlfriend today and she broke out laughing saying she couldn't have described it better herself :pac:

Wednesday - Swim.

Had planned to do a little bit more distance, but I got there late had, places to be, things to do, and it was uncomfortably packed, so I just got fed up. Not 100% sure on the details of the session(should probably start writing it down somewhere) but I think it was.

200m pull
    100m kick
    150m freestyle

450m total.

Despite leaving early, I still managed to turn up 25 mins late to where I had to be. Got stuck waiting for a woman to turn around before I could get out. She distinctly reminded me of this

Luckily, the other 2 were 40 mins late, so I wasn't too bad in comparison :P.

Thursday - Run.

Failed again in my ambitions to get out in the morning. Was too busy in college to get out during lunch, so ended up having to go tonight. The plan called for 2miles easy, 2 miles tempo, 2 miles easy. I wanted to go for a bit longer today, as if I was to do a DQS on my diet today, probably would have been in the region of minus 1000 and so I felt like punishing myself. Ended up doing 12.13km(7.53m) in 1:03.
    http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/67195559
    30uabkh.jpg
    Was feeling good for most of the extra run, but started having bowel issues for the last bit, which slowed me down a good bit:rolleyes:

The biggest downside to the late runs, is that I'm only coming down from the high now, and its nearly 1am. Need. More. Sleep. :eek:

I can only imagine what you'd be like on the dance floor after a few pints! :eek:

Good job on the swim and run.

Was AWOL there for a bit, if anyone of ye noticed :P. Mixture of projects and illness meant I did no training, and ate all round me for two long. Got back on the horse last night and went for a run.

It was cold. At times I thought I may aswell have just jogged on the spot in the freezer, wearing a coat made from ice cubes. I got it done though, and glad to be back in the game. Died after the third interval, but what harm. Lost some major ground in the SBR though :/. Heading to the pool later, not looking forward to it really, its been quite a while :S.

http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/69075399
    8.42k / 44:32

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Delighted to see you're back. I had noticed your absence:). Gave me the chance to pull away from you in the challenge. I'm sure you will have no problem catching me up over the next few weeks:D.

I noticed as well. Now, as they say 'round these parts....HTFU!! ;) You've got some work to do!!

Ended up doing 150m in the pool the day of my last post. Should have done more, but I was at the pool during lunch time, rather than night time, so there was schools there for lessons, and the place was just jammed. I usually swim in the open swim area (I don't deem myself to be good enough for the slow lane just yet), and it was like the local old folks home had sent down their 150y/o + age groupers to do lengths of doggy paddle, that along with a guy doing aqua jogging, another guy swimming in circles in the deep end and two kids splashing about, I simply got fed up. My swimming was horrid anyway, so it was probably for the best :rolleyes:

Did nothing (again!) until this morning. Got my bike ready, cycled to a friends house, loaded the car, and set off for a 9am cycle with the local Cork Tri Club. Got in there, unloaded the car, noticed a nick in my front tyre with a bit of bulging tube. Worried, I cycled about 50metres. Tube burst, I got off, we loaded back up the car and went home :mad: Not sure why i bothered testing it, I knew i couldn't ride with it. Bought a new tyre today anyway.. could have done without that particular expense :rolleyes: If anyone feels like guiding me through how to change a tyre though... :pac:

Went to the pool this afternoon in consolation. Still slightly pissed at my last attempt of swimming, and at the failed bike, got in, and the open swim area was jammed, but there was only one chap doing breast stroke in the slow lane, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and give it a go! :eek:
    Session went like this:
    200m pull
    100m kick
    200m pull
    50m kick
    100m freestyle, all in about 40 mins. It was definitely the most compacted session I have ever done, being in the lane definitely helped with that! It was certainly an experience. I'm happy to say I was going the same speed, if not faster with my kick, as the breast stroker was normally, and a lot faster with the pull buoy. He had left by the time I hit regular freestyle. I think I over did it with the pull though, because by the time I got to the regular free, I was cooked. Could be partially to do with only swimming 150m in the last two weeks two though :pac: During one length of my pull too, I kept pace with a woman in the medium lane :cool:

As for the quality of the swim, I was happy enough with my two pulls, the second kick saw a lot of splashing as I tired, and the first length of my freestyle was absolute pants, after which I got my head down and kept it together for the remaining 75m. I concentrated a lot more on my stroke in the lane than I do normally, (less obstacles to worry about I guess?). I'm not sure if my kick drills are following through to my full stroke(if that makes sense), but i'm pretty much at my limit concentrating on my arms at that point, so I guess I can't afford to worry about it just yet. As for my arms, I definitely need to make more of an effort to get my elbows higher, and make sure my pull back has more purpose, rather than coasting through the water (again, if that makes sense :p )

One rather strange thing that happened though, is the we were supposed to be swimming clockwise in the lane, when this lady comes along, and starts swimming anticlockwise. The other guy in the lane leaves, and I was left alone, not sure what to do :eek: So I followed the instructions on the signs, and we had a game of in-lane chicken. I lost, and got out of the way. At the end of that length, I stopped for a few seconds, and a father and son got into the lane, so the way the woman was swimming, and just followed suit. It didn't bother me either way, so we all just ended up swimming anti-clockwise in the clockwise lane. It was kind of funny, to be honest :)

Anyway, if I keep writing the post is going to be longer than the distance I swam today :rolleyes:, so.. Will definitely be returning to the lane again, as it made a world of difference! I must see if there is a set timetable for when the lanes are in play (a lot of the time it's just medium and fast :eek:)

Will try and make it out for a run tonight too, but I need to attach my new tyre, and am contemplating cycling to college next week (had my first serious crash the last time I tried that :p), meaning I'd have to ready my bike for the commute too.

For any of ye out there with lives:
    tl;dr:
    150m swim.
    Failed bike.
    650m swim.

:pac:

Dory and shotgun, ye both make hill/trail running sound like such fun.. :D

First of all....good job for keeping at the swimming. I commend you for that as I know it's the most challenging of the three disciplines for you. Second....anti-clockwise? How funny. We say counter-clockwise. Anyway...perhaps the woman in the lane was American, as we swim counter, er, I mean, anti-clockwise here. :)

And lastly....yes, yes, yes....trail running is the bomb. I don't do enough of it, but when I do, I'm transported to a very fun place. You must try it...and like I tell everyone in this forum, if you're ever in the States and are any where near me, I'll treat you to a run or cycle or canoe or whatever in our wonderful out of doors!!

Thanks! :) There are some woods nearby that I could try it out in, but I imagine I would need to buy special trail runners, so I don't hurt myself(?), and that would be at the bottom of a very long list of other things I need to buy... Why do I always end up with too much week at the end of my money! :P

Went to the pool again last night, contemplated going out for a run afterwards or this morning, but binned it as I have a presentation this afternoon, and apparently someone from Dragon's Den is going to be there, so I need to do some serious prep work for that :eek:

As for the swim, breaking it down:
    200m pull
    50m kick
    200m pull
    50m kick
    150m freestlye

650m total. Braved the lane again, started off pretty poor, and found my groove (probably equally poor) after the first 100m. Had some pretty nice lengths by my standard. Really concentrated on my elbows and keeping my arm out stretched out for as long as possible for the reach(?). Still need to work on actively pulling my hand back as opposed to just letting it come back to me, but I'm happy to report I'm doing a much better job of closing my hands, so the water isn't slipping through my fingers :)

Half way through there was a guy who got into the lane and started doing lengths, and his arms were all over the place, quite similar to an obnoxiously drunk person in a club at 1am :P, and his breathing was as poor as mine when I started swimming first.... YET, HE COULD STILL SWIM LONGER THAN I COULD. :mad:

:pac:

Should really go for a run tonight, but if I get out of work on time, I'm going to head to the pool instead and work some more. I feel full on consistency of swimming every day, or nearly every day is what's going to hopefully tip the scales in my favour, so I'll keep at it. On the subject of scales, I could be doing a lot better on that front....:o

Hit the pool after work tonight, was a little pressed for time, and there was lessons on, so the place was pretty packed. Only really had time for 400m, but tbh, I was better off, I was really struggling out there.

I feel I put down some really solid stroke work today, but struggled with the one kick drill I did, lots of splashing. I still really need to work on my breathing. I think it would be a big help if I could actually see myself swimming, so I could visualise it all a bit better. They don't allow camera's in the pool though, so I'm not quite sure how I'd manage that. I think I felt the session aerobically more than anything else. I was finishing some lengths really panting and with a big red face on me :o I was happy with the quality of the session overall though.

Not sure why I was so tired today. Was running around a lot trying to sort things out for a presentation in the afternoon, and i didn't really eat a healthy substantial lunch, and then rushed off to work, and didn't get a proper dinner, so that could have been the cause...

Have a cycle and a run on the cards for tomorrow, it'll be nice to log something other than swimming. On the subject of logging, it's disappointing to log over 1.5k of swimming in the 48 hours, and not move up a swim rank in SBR. :eek:

Ah consistent training, why must you evade me so..

Went for a really suffering run on Friday after college, was doing fine, but slightly understimated how hilly it was going to get (by my standards at least), and immediately died at the first hill :rolleyes: Happy to get it down, and by christ, I'm going to train regularly from now on, it's not worth the pain of getting back into it!!

11.03km in 1:00:53. http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/activity/70238393

Got tied up with work and other stuff on saturday, so that became a rest day.

This morning got up to go out on the beginner cycle with a friend of mine with Cork Tri Club. Apprehensively set out with the fast group, found the pace easily manageable. Stupidly paused my garmin at some point, and missed out on part of the route, and while trying to fix the map, I totally screwed up the timing. So average pace is totally skewed but I think it should come out at just over 25km/hr.

The plan was apparently to do 50k, which I was happy with, but nobody told me that the fast group were doing more than that! :O Stuck with them no problem until the coffee stop. Left there, and we got what they called a "chaingang" going. Single file, with a 30 second turn on the front before you peel off to the back. I have never had so much craic on a bike before, really really enjoyed it :D. Great speeds too, we maintained ~42km/hr for most of it I think. Then we got to a crossroads, and it turned out that we had dropped my friends a good bit back, so I hung back to wait for him. Gutted I had to though, as I was really enjoying myself! Stuck with the slow group back into the city then, and then off home with my friend. Really really surprised at my bike fitness, didn't think I'd keep with them at all. The running must be paying off, cause I sure as hell am not doing enough bike training!

Did 91.13km in total. Looking forward to next week already. :)

Supposedly, Im doing my LSR tonight, but after doing nearly double the bike distance I was expecting, I think it might be wise to let it off till tomorrow. I'll see how I feel this evening after work, and might just go for a short one.

we maintained ~42km/hr for most of it

Did 91.13km in total.

All I can say is :eek::eek:

Bally8 wrote: »
    All I can say is :eek::eek:

haha, I think you may have misread that :P. We maintained that speed when we did the train thing but that only lasted for about 25 minutes :P. Outside of that, I imagine the avg was the lower side of 30 ;)

If I could maintain those speeds, I'd probably head to the pro peloton :pac:

• Advertisement

It was the distance of the of the cycle more than the speed of the chain that amazed me. I've never done more than 66k so to see you doing over 91 when you havent had the time for consistent training is brilliant.

I'm going to have to go out and do loads next week to keep ahead of you on the challenge :D

Advertisement