Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hannibal [NBC/Sky Living] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jack Crawford - fisher of men. I loved his entrance to Hannibal's room as they confronted him about the phone.

Have to admit, I thought the masked Tooth Fairy cast a near Daredevil type figure when standing in the doorway of the log cabin.

Privacy settings and personal ads. :pac: Secrets with amendments. Solace in baseball and the triangle of mental hospital treatment is complete...

You have hubbed hell, Dr. Lecter.
    I often do

And so we have the mask.

Crazy sons of bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

Maybe it's just me, but I find it a bit jarring hearing Mads' Lecter speaking some of the lines from Red Dragon. Seems as if they've lifted some of the dialogue verbatim from the book/film, and it doesn't really mesh with the character that Mikkelsen has crafted over the past two and a half seasons. Kinda distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Links234 wrote: »
    my criticisms over the slog that was the first few episodes,
    ROBBO7 wrote: »
    Like everyone else was a bit disappointed with the pacing on the first 5 episodes of this series.

I do wonder if it was a factor in its cancellation. The first few seemed disjointed to the series as a whole considering what came before it, and after.

And unlike others, I don't think I spent enough time on the likes of SomethingAwful to desensitise myself to the violence, particularly when there's children or animals involved. Some warped minds on the writers panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I do wonder if it was a factor in its cancellation. The first few seemed disjointed to the series as a whole considering what came before it, and after.

And unlike others, I don't think I spent enough time on the likes of SomethingAwful to desensitise myself to the violence, particularly when there's children or animals involved. Some warped minds on the writers panel.

The books are as warped.

Stopped watching will catch it when it goes on Netflix can be bothered with it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Have to admit, I thought the masked Tooth Fairy cast a near Daredevil type figure when standing in the doorway of the log cabin.

they got that look from the Manhunter film

movies-manhunter-still-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fuller wants to bring back The Avengers TV series
    "I would love to reboot The Avengers with Eddie Izzard as John Steed. That would be wonderful."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a663828/hannibals-bryan-fuller-wants-to-bring-back-the-avengers-tv-series.html#~plDU5o6loRn3lG

I could see it working in the same vain as Hannibal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Sorry if mentioned before here but our boy Mads has landed himself a role in the Star Wars spinoff movie Rogue One! As someone who is a big fan of his and a big Star Wars the joy I got from finding that out has soothed the pain of Hannibal finishing. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

An unusual bit of film memorabilia for anyone with a few quid to spare:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/aug/19/buffalo-bill-home-silence-of-the-lambs-sale

Not sure if it still has the dungeon in the basement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

belongs here I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Despite its high points, I thought something was a touch off key here. Can't quite put my finger on what*...despite knowing what was coming.

*Maybe the sell, as it were.

Again, I liked Lecter's temperament in this one.

Is Will in therapy for Will, or self-justification? The question of aching for Hannibal - that's been there since day one.

My dear Frederic,

You've always had a flair for self-promotion. Eating your face is the first time I've winced in a while. The flame face just prior to the wheelchair was also messed up. The interrogation was suitably torturous in technique and duration. Thought there was a clear difference in the timbre of the Tooth Fairy's voice too.

'Professional discourtesy' and 'proper stuff'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Caught up over the weekend and enjoyed the last few episodes.

Even so, I had to laugh when even the promo for the finale was pretentious. At least they are consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Despite its high points, I thought something was a touch off key here. Can't quite put my finger on what*...despite knowing what was coming.

*Maybe the sell, as it were.

This might be down to some serious problems during production.
    Internet scuttlebutt suggests that Fullers ambition for the series outstripped both time and budget restraints resulting in scenes not getting shot or completed under severe time pressure.
    This season feels every bit like the result of something cobbled together in a rush and missing some vital ingredients to complete the dish so to speak.

The editing of this latest episode is a case in point, Chilton's storyline in the episode is all over the place and reeks of 'we've had to edit around what was shot, which wasn't much.'

Again, I liked Lecter's temperament in this one.

Is Will in therapy for Will, or self-justification? The question of aching for Hannibal - that's been there since day one.

My dear Frederic,

You've always had a flair for self-promotion. Eating your face is the first time I've winced in a while. The flame face just prior to the wheelchair was also messed up. The interrogation was suitably torturous in technique and duration. Thought there was a clear difference in the timbre of the Tooth Fairy's voice too.

'Professional discourtesy' and 'proper stuff'

I'm baffled as to what Will is doing in therapy with Bedelia, could be a co-dependent relationship, could be a weak excuse for a bit of exposition and monologuing. Either way it was a horrible scene that was all about underlining in bold red marker what should have remained subtext.

On another note, am I the only one who thinks Gillian Anderson is a dreadful actress? Her droning expressionless monotone really irritates me and she's the same in everything, I dropped 'The Fall' simply because I couldn't listen to her prozac mumbling any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I really wish less time had been spent in Italy and more time spent with the dragon.

It feels like two seasons pushed together for me, as if on finding out that it was cancelled the switched to the plan for season 4 to finish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Chilton's fire retardant eyes are very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Bit of a mixed bag season to be fair.

I agree with the slow start comments, it was hard to stick with it at times.
    The visuals though are always stunning regardless of episode content which makes it a delight to watch.

Am I bothered that this is the end, overall yes.
    It was a fantastic show but maybe it was time to call it a day.

I do remember Fuller saying a year or so back that he had enough material for 6 seasons or something like that.

Previously on Checkered Suits, we didn't start the fire...

Shotgun - bye bye, skull. Vulcanite plates. Friends and dependency. Hannibal still pushes buttons with the cruelty of truth. Meat's back on the menu. :pac:

Authenticity costs. No battle plan survives contact with the enemy. Knife splatter, combat style. And we finish how we began. A bromance bonded in blood.

Mic drop, yo!

Don't forget to say please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

PSA. Watch it until the credits end

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Didn't expect it to vary so much compared to the film, still I think it was a good ending, they clearly knew or at least felt it wouldn't get the greenlight for another season so ended it to suit if it had to be the final episode.

Also anyone care to explain the post credits scene? Looks like Hannibal's handywork (Gideon) but when would he find the time for that?

Pretty great finale. Season ended better than it started (by a large margin).

Mic drop.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent interview above.

Also an excellent finale and their twisted brutal romance ended perfectly in a dark embracing dive into the sea. Focusing this finale so much on the Will / Hannibal relationship was exactly what was needed - their twisted feelings for one another.

It's a damn shame it's over as Fuller seems to have had some interesting ideas for a fourth season but, in ending this way, it at least went out on a high. A bigger concern would be how future TV shows will play it safer than Hannibal but hopefully if anyone wants to make an "artsy fartsy" show (Fuller's own description at times!), they'll go to the more accepting world of cable.

Hannibal - I'll miss you.

Hannibal season 4 didn't happen because of illegal downloads
    Hannibal ended in part because of online piracy, an executive producer on the show claims.

The psychological thriller series starring Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen ended after three seasons on NBC, and Martha De Laurentiis blames torrents and the people who illegally downloaded.

In an open letter on The Hill, De Laurentiis said "one third" of Hannibal viewers used pirated sites.

"When NBC decided not to renew Hannibal for a fourth season, it wasn't much of a leap to connect its fate with the fact that the show was ranked as the fifth-most illegally downloaded show in 2013," she wrote.

"When nearly one third of the audience for Hannibal is coming from pirated sites - despite the fact that a legitimate download for each episode was available the following day - you don't have to know calculus to do the math. If a show is stolen, it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to fairly compensate a crew and keep a series in production.

"Did pirates kill Hannibal? Unfortunately, that is a cliffhanger that might last for a while.

"With more than 2 million viewers watching our show illegally, it's hard not to think online pirates were, at the very least, partly responsible for hundreds of crew members losing their jobs and millions of fans - who watched the show legitimately - mourning the loss of a beloved program."

Last year, creator Bryan Fuller shared that De Laurentiis was working on securing funding for a potential movie follow-up. But he also said the chances of Hannibal coming back in any form are "less than 50/50".

http://http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/hannibal/news/a787246/hannibal-season-4-didnt-happen-because-of-illegal-downloads/

Yeah I read that yesterday. Not sure it makes total sense though. It was a very niche show.

Is he blaming US based downloaders, or..?

Being a niche show probably means it relies more on advertising than a normal Primetime show with 5 to 20 million viewers and if people aren't viewing it on normal channels advertisers are less likely to buy ad time on it would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It was a very niche show with some faults, GF and I loved watching it but the 3rd season spent so much time on experimental and abstract shots that it killed momentum.

I normally liked the show for that but they put too much emphasis on it on the start of the 3rd season and it slowed the pace of the show to an absolute crawl.

Still, Mads Mikkelsen absolutely killed it as Hannibal, my favourite interpretation of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It was a very niche show with some faults, GF and I loved watching it but the 3rd season spent so much time on experimental and abstract shots that it killed momentum.

I normally liked the show for that but they put too much emphasis on it on the start of the 3rd season and it slowed the pace of the show to an absolute crawl.

Still, Mads Mikkelsen absolutely killed it as Hannibal, my favourite interpretation of the character.

absolutely gave up on teh show becuase of that and still havn't watched it all

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is he blaming US based downloaders, or..?
    Exactly. Of those downloaders, how many could actually have watched it in the US - even on the show's site - and contributed to ratings?

• Advertisement

A year on from NBC dropping Hannibal at the end of its third season, showrunner Bryan Fuller says the door is far from closed on revisiting the series.

"The cast is game, I'm game, it's just a matter of finding the right time where everybody's schedules sync up, but I would love to continue to tell the story with Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen."

Bryan Fuller went on to say: "They're such fantastic collaborators, and one of the most satisfying actor-showrunner relationships I've ever had in this industry. So I would love to continue this story."

The writer also clarified that talk of a Hannibal revival can officially begin once "two years" pass from its 2015 series finale date.

"August 2017 is when we can actually start talking about it," he teased. "That's when we would have to see what the rights are for the character and for the story, and see who's interested and how we get it done.

"I have the story, and the cast is excited for the story, so we're ready to go if somebody wants to go."

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/hannibal/news/a798949/bryan-fuller-game-for-hannibal-season-4/

Advertisement