Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had to sleep rough?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

This happened to a lad I know and not me. This particular chap has a very distinctive tattoo. I asked him once how he got it and told me that he'd been in Dublin on a stag night and had gotten absolutely plastered to the point where he didn't know where he was or what he was doing.

Anyway, he woke up in a daze on a bench in an unfamiliar pub and it was daylight. He noticed that he had a fresh new tattoo that was still raw and painful. He went up to the bar to get a drink and to gather himself a bit. When he produced a €20 note the barman said, 'Sorry mate, we don't take that here'. Upon further enquiries, he discovered he was in Holyhead and that his mates had put him on a ferry at some stage and he ended up in Wales, where subsequently, he decided it would be a good idea to get a tattoo. Wife was ringing him constantly but he kept it all quiet somehow! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I think this counts.

Years ago, when I was about 16, I was staying in a friend's with the plan to head out to a club when her parents fell asleep. Her bedroom was on the ground floor so out we went through the window at about 11pm. Great night. Came back around 4.30am and headed back into the window. We were just getting warm under the duvet when we heard somebody coming down the stairs. So, I jumped back out the window wearing just my underwear. I got to hear my mate's father reefing her out of it - he had discovered that she wasn't in her bed that night. Told her that she couldn't sleep in that room for the night because he couldn't trust her, and put her in the boxroom upstairs. So, I spent a few hours huddled under the window with flip all clothes on in the dew (in was mid-November) waiting for her to come get me. Ended up, she wasn't allowed out the next day, but got her little brother to come out and bring me clothes.

To this day I believe that her dad knew I was there. He wasn't the nicest person.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

xoxyx wrote: »
    I think this counts.

Years ago, when I was about 16, I was staying in a friend's with the plan to head out to a club when her parents fell asleep. Her bedroom was on the ground floor so out we went through the window at about 11pm. Great night. Came back around 4.30am and headed back into the window. We were just getting warm under the duvet when we heard somebody coming down the stairs. So, I jumped back out the window wearing just my underwear. I got to hear my mate's father reefing her out of it - he had discovered that she wasn't in her bed that night. Told her that she couldn't sleep in that room for the night because he couldn't trust her, and put her in the boxroom upstairs. So, I spent a few hours huddled under the window with flip all clothes on in the dew (in was mid-November) waiting for her to come get me. Ended up, she wasn't allowed out the next day, but got her little brother to come out and bring me clothes.

To this day I believe that her dad knew I was there. He wasn't the nicest person.
    Pics or GTFO :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

The memory just came back to me. I was in Germany a few years ago and my friends went home in a taxi while a hot drunk German girl was telling me she would take me home. She was really leading me on all night so I couldn't possibly leave. In the end she got so drunk she threw up and almost passed out. I was in almost as bad shape. I just don't throw up which is probably worse because it stays in my system. I ended up outside the bar in the snow and ice trying to figure out how to get back to the apartment frozen with a very thin jacket. In the end I was so sleepy but found a bus stop where the bus home passes by and fell into a coma lying on the very narrow seat for waiting passengers. I woke up a few hours later extremely extremely cold with numb fingers and legs and with a broken back with bemused but warm German commuters boarding their morning bus around me. Of course when I got back to the lads I told them I scored. Didnt want to ruin the legend of psychward ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I reaally can't understand why you didn't stick your thumb out? Unless you did and limerick people are just pricks, if you have to walk that distance you may as well thumb a lift, someone will stop and if they don't then you are simply at sqaure one of walking.

This was in the early hours, the only cars out were taxis with fares in them. Most taxis aren't gonna stop for some drunk guy walking on a dual carriageway. I ran/walked a lot of the way, when I saw a car coming I'd stick out the thumb but to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

When I was about 15 I slept in a phonebox in Tramore after some Waterford scumbags beat us up and robbed our tents.cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

I slept in a tent in the highlands of Scotland in the middle of nowhere for quite some time. Had to walk 7 miles to work every morning.

I'm a fan of bushcraft so it didnt bother me too much except turning up to work smelling of campfire.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Nothing too exciting, but I had to sleep rough in San Francisco airport a few years ago. Sleeping on the floor beside my bags with the straps tied to a chair to make it alittle harder for someone to run off with, I woke up at about half 6. Sitting across from me was a creepy old couple steering me out of it. I just got up and walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Left work in the Airport and went straight out in my uniform.... Got trollied and decided the best way to be on time for my 5am start was to go back to work.

So I slept in the galley of a 757 and got a very big shock when the engineer boarded and started moving the aircraft onto stand for the morning departure.

He gave me a few funny looks when he walked out of the cockpit to see me standing there. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Slept outside Wembley Stadium the night before a gig :p

So annoying, was at the side of the stadium the wind was blowing towards.....:( worst bit about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I love how "had to" sleep rough equates to "I passed out drunk."

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Didn't sleep but stayed up all night once in a park in Amsterdam. We were staying outside of Amsterdam and missed the last train back to the hotel. Tried getting a hotel in the city but they were all full up or far too expensive.

My friend was walking around the little park and reporting back to me on the incredible 3d flowers and the shapes they were morphing into.

My other friend was lying back on the bench snoring like a demon.

Amsterdam can be a dodgy enough spot but I think we walked far enough away from the city centre to come across any trouble.

Got up, got dressed and brushed the teeth the next morning with no clue where we were. Examining the map wasn't much help but we were definitely a good bit out. Found an incredibly long street with trams running along it but weren't sure which direction we were meant to be heading in. I remember seeing the trams approaching from what must have been a mile and a half away. And slowly working their way towards us.

When we eventually made it back to the hostel I slept in the park like a boss. I'm sure I looked like a respectable member of the community toking on my brass hash pipe before dropping off for a nap.

Slept in a shopping centre in Sydney on New Year's Eve also.

The security must have seen us on the CCTV so fair play to them for not coming along and kicking us out. Australia's an awful f*cking dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Arrived in Barcelona one night. We had planned on cycling into town and stay at a friend's house near the sagrada. Unfortunately, RyanAir smashed my girlfriend's bike up despite it being wrapped up in bubble wrap and cardboard and all that and by the time we finished arguing with the ryanair people (to no avail) we had missed the last bus.
    Didn't have to sleep rough, instead we walked 10 or 20km through the industrial areas of southern Barcelona and got in to the city centre and my friend's apartment around 6am. Was good craic despite the fact that we got no sleep, had a very dodgy night's walk and had to pay 180e to get the bike fixed.

Also, a few of us ended up in Ballybunion one night, had planned to camp (there are like five campsites in the town) but none of the campsites allowed campers, only mobile homes so we ended up asking someone was there anywhere to stay in the town so they offered to let us pitch camp in their garden, which was nice.

Slept in an abandoned school up in the Slieve Aughty mountains a few times after a day of mountain biking when I was too tired to ride home, had a sleeping back though.

Set up my tent in a park in the middle of a small town in France once too when I couldn't find anywhere else.

Few nights spent around Eyre square and generally walking around Galway but not actually sleeping, just waiting for morning.

Slept in the hedge of an olive-grove in Slovenia just outside Trieste too having got lost on the way to Croatia.

On a school tour in London in second-year of secondary school we spent one night in a pretty dodgy hostel and two nights sleeping on couches and tables in a community centre thing. That was pretty rough by the standards of school-organised activity.

Planning on spending a few months sleeping rough(ish) around Europe, Afirica, the middle east and Europe again too once I finish my degree. I quite like sleeping outside although I wouldn't call my sleeping arrangements 'rough' since it's always been at least sort of by choice.

EDIT: That post is too long. TL'DR version; yeah, a few times, mostly in a tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

slept outside at a train station in Germany, missed train and had to wait till next morning for the next one.
    slept in a doorway before, not sure if I was out or something and then my sister was heading to the airport in the early hours, had nowhere to go, just had to wait till things opened in the morning.
    There's probably other times, no big deal when you're not sleeping out for multiple nights in a row like homeless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Plenty of nights in airports, bus/train stations etc. I can never really sleep either as I'm always paranoid about getting robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

superrdave wrote: »
    Two years ago, I went to Old Trafford for a United match on a Tuesday night. Plan was to get the train and overnight boat back to Dublin. I get the train to Chester expecting to catch a train to Holyhead in time for the boat. I get to Chester and find out the train is only going to Rhyl (not halfway along the line) and there will be a bus to Holyhead, not in time for the ferry. So I am sitting waiting in the tiny waiting room when two lesbians and a gay guy come in and offer me a beer (why not?) and have one with them. Down the platform, two drunken bums (with their two little dogs) are arguing. So we get on the train when it comes and when the lesbians and the gay guy understand my predicament they offer to let me stay with them in Bangor for the night. I politely decline. While on the train, there is a louder argument down the corridor from the bums. One of the lesbians, facing them, spontaneously jumps up and shouts and runs down the carriage to the bums. Turns out the man bum had hit the woman bum. Not really acceptable to someone who is probably a feminist. Anyway, we get the Rhyl, and she tells the bus driver not to let them on the replacement bus, but he does anyway. It is now about 1 a.m. He lets them on. At the same time, about half a dozen drunken teenagers get on, sit down the back with the junkies and start singing. The same song. Over and over. With the mentally challenged junkie joining in. Anyway, the bus driver is talking to this sixteen year old looking girl the whole time (seems like his girlfriend, tbh, a bit of an age difference) while flying down the dual carriageway in the pouring rain. The lesbians tell the teenagers to shut up but they respond it is their night out and they'll do what they want. So we keep going when one of the teenagers comes up to the bus driver and asks if he'll drop him off at the next roundabout (bout three miles away) cos it is close to home. The bus driver asks if the train stops at his house. He is perplexed. Bus driver says it is a rail replacement bus and only stops at train stations. Teenager kicks off, starts swearing at bus driver. He slams on the brakes and tells teenager to get off, cos he won't be verbally abused. So he is thrown off, but kicks at the doors, nearly breaking them. We continue on towards Bangor. The lesbians again tell the kids and the bums to shut up, cos by this stage it is 2 a.m. On the way into Bangor, they argue some more and the female bum punches one of the lesbians. As you do. So the bus comes to a stop upon being told (screeching, slams on the brakes, while we are heading down a steep hill). The cops are called. While we wait for them, a white Vauxhall Nova pulls up behind us. Who jumps out of the back seat but the kid who was thrown off the bus ten miles back. He starts berating the driver for throwing him off in the middle of nowhere in the rain, when the driver tells him that the cops are en route. Him and his friends quickly scarper, in the nova. The cops show up, take statements from all (I saw very little, my back was to the fight and I didn't see it), and arrest the female bum and give the lesbians and gay guy a lift home. The male bum thus walks off down the street with the two dogs, leaving only me and three others on the bus. So, we get the Holyhead at about 3:30 a.m. (the boat left at 2, I think) and try the Holiday Inn or Travelodge across the road. No rooms. ****. Nowhere else in town. So I try to sleep on a metal bench in the train station / ferry terminal. While there, a small kid is running through the place, in and out the automatic doors, so the place is absolutely freezing, it being March. I get no sleep whatsoever, and eventually get the ferry home at midday the next day, having to plead with the Irishferries ticket desk to let me home. So, I get on the ferry and discover the ferry is going to Dun Laoghaire not Dublin port, where my bike is. Argh!

I wanted to read that but i got to the 2nd line and it was just too painful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Slept in the luggage bay of one of those big coaches in Killarney. Twas cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Slept in the luggage bay of one of those big coaches in Killarney. Twas cold.

Jaysus, were you not afraid of waking up in transit half way up the country somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Jaysus, were you not afraid of waking up in transit half way up the country somewhere?

Not really because there were about 15 people in there, including my friend and me, and I remember breaking a branch off a tree so I could stop the luggage door from closing completely. Don't like being trapped.

We got kicked out at about 6:30am anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i woke up in a crashed car once, well, the engine was missing and the car had been sitting in a field for a long while..... soggy seats are worse then any bench you can imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Slept on the Nitelink a few times.

The service is great, fee sachets of ketchup in your shoes when you wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Had to sleep overnight in an airport once in London. Well, I tried to. It wasn't particularly easy. That's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

There was many a drunken night as a teenager when yours truly had a few cans too many that prevented him from going home to doting parents, but we've all been in that boat, so i'll share a sober experience.

When i was about 15/16, i was going out with a girl i was mad about, and one evening i receive a text asking me to come over, that her parents were out. Ecstatic, i hopped on the last bus out (she lived in a small town/village in the middle of nowhere) and i was sure tonight would be 'the night'.

On the bus out, my phone died but i wasn't worried because i thought i could charge it in her house. However, when i got there it turned out all she wanted to do was break up. And so i was pretty much chucked out onto the street, with no phone in a village i know nobody else. I sauntered around wallowing in misery for a while until i go back looking to use her phone. She wont answer the door. (she hardly drifted off to sleep in the space of 20 minutes, malicious bitch)

I freaked out a little bit, as i only had a bus ticket and 3 euro on me. I found a shop at about ten to midnight, which was closing in ten minutes. So i spent the 3 euro on a box of eggs and proceeded to violently egg her house. I then had to spend the rest of the night on a park bench waiting for the next bus home which was at 7.45 the following morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Pdfile wrote: »
    i woke up in a crashed car once, well, the engine was missing and the car had been sitting in a field for a long while..... soggy seats are worse then any bench you can imagine.
    That reminds me; I was once put up in Carrick-on-Suir in a crashed car the Gardai said they got from a drug bust. It is indeed difficult to sleep in. Parked in the Garda station. They apologised that was all they had but said the cells were worse, and we wouldn't want to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

few cans? wrote: »
    There was many a drunken night as a teenager when yours truly had a few cans too many that prevented him from going home to doting parents, but we've all been in that boat, so i'll share a sober experience.

When i was about 15/16, i was going out with a girl i was mad about, and one evening i receive a text asking me to come over, that her parents were out. Ecstatic, i hopped on the last bus out (she lived in a small town/village in the middle of nowhere) and i was sure tonight would be 'the night'.

On the bus out, my phone died but i wasn't worried because i thought i could charge it in her house. However, when i got there it turned out all she wanted to do was break up. And so i was pretty much chucked out onto the street, with no phone in a village i know nobody else. I sauntered around wallowing in misery for a while until i go back looking to use her phone. She wont answer the door. (she hardly drifted off to sleep in the space of 20 minutes, malicious bitch)

I freaked out a little bit, as i only had a bus ticket and 3 euro on me. I found a shop at about ten to midnight, which was closing in ten minutes. So i spent the 3 euro on a box of eggs and proceeded to violently egg her house. I then had to spend the rest of the night on a park bench waiting for the next bus home which was at 7.45 the following morning :(

Well done lad, she deserved a lot more then an egging for that. What a kunt :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I occasionally sleep in airports, but it's usually reasonably comfortable and warm.

The closest I come to sleeping rough is right where I am now, even though I have a bed. My house has no central heating, so it is damn well freezing in my room at night. I sleep wearing both a hoodie and a jacket, I might as well be on a park bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Columbia wrote: »
    I occasionally sleep in airports, but it's usually reasonably comfortable and warm.

Dublin Airport is the best for sleeping in that I ever found. Everywhere else has these benches with narrow divisions designed to force you to sit upright and stick into your back and legs etc but upstairs in Dublin Airport it's all fancy couches around the McDonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

Over the summer me and my brother managed to get ourselves locked outside our house. Our landlord was away so we spent two nights sleeping on the couches in the University of Limerick.

I also remember falling asleep outside a Homebase while waiting for the rain to pass over. Security woke me at about 7am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i slept on a kitchen table once

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I slept with a rough looking girl once, that counts as sleeping rough....right?

Advertisement