Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had to sleep rough?

Options
  • 07-11-2011 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Never have done myself! So anyone on here have to sleep outdoors and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Slept in a lift and slept on a bench. The lift was worse though, the damn thing kept on automatically moving during the night :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Slept in a horse stable once after a lot of alcohol, no idea how I ended up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

i'm always rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Slept in a lift and slept on a bench. The lift was worse though, the damn thing kept on automatically moving during the night :mad:

Emergency stop button ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Ya got so drunk over on holidays, and has to sleep on the fire exit as i coudnt find my room, and fell asleep in a carpark on my way home from a night out(decided id had a quick sleep to sober up) haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A few times work related.
    Other times when younger, backpacking in warm countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

msg11 wrote: »
    Emergency stop button ?

Didn't think of that at the time, would of been handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭benki11

Backyard couse of alcohol,Wife never opened door

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

What?

I sleep rough every few months.

Slept rough a few weeks ago.

Hooked up with a chick in Sydney CBD. Jumped in a taxi to Bondi, went for a p!ss down a lane after we got out. Came back and she had bolted. :mad:

I'd no cash after paying for half the taxi and had lost my credit card AND was only in Sydney for long weekend.

Slept in a laneway. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Does Oxegen count?

Certainly felt rough.

I have fallen asleep in a doorway for a couple of hours after a night out more than once. Woops!

Other than that.... nope, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

dave3004 wrote: »
    What?

Hooked up with a chick in Sydney CBD. Jumped in a taxi to Bondi, went for a p!ss down a lane after we got out. Came back and she had bolted. :mad:

I'd no cash after paying for half the taxi and had lost my credit card AND was only in Sydney for long weekend.

What did you say or do to her in that taxi?!

I slept outside in St Tropez once, as I couldn't find anywhere to stay. Bugs crawling on me etc, it was horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Once I slept in an airport for 2 days waiting for a rescheduled flight out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Currently cycling Africa. Sleeping in a tent is my way of life atm. (admitedly I type this from the luxury of a hotel room...)

Does toilet hugging count as rough ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Hopefully the same laneway you went for a piss in, after all it was technically your territory at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yep, was in Madrid, staying in the outskirts of the city. Got extremely drunk with some Americans and missed the last bus home, we lost each other and I ended up sleeping on the street with some homeless guy who was actually a very nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Few times -

kicked out of a hotel in laois so had to sleep on a park bench.

Me and my mate were running out of cash on a euro trip so we'd put our bags in a train station locker, get hammered then find a park bench.

Slept in a car in cork for a few days.

And the odd beach too.

Many years ago, one night my friend threw me on the bus home from city centre coz I was too drunk and taxis weren't daring stop for me. It was 11pm. luckily my house is at the last bus-stop.

I wake up the next morning with a hangover that could kill a zombie.

Stumble downstairs and my mam looks at me in pure anger...Pointing a butter knife at me as she speaks....." If you ever, EVER knock on the door like you did this morning at 6am you will never sleep in this house again"......

I rang my mate to confirm the 11pm bus ride.

6am?????

WTF happened for 7 hours I do not know.....but if there is a god.....Thats the first question I am asking him !

Slept on a wall before. I was on my 6th year holiday in Santa Ponza (cliché much) and was scoring some bird on the beach.

Happy with the foreplay going on but unhappy with the lack of finishing.

Was like Arsenal. All great stuff in and around the box but hadn't put together that glorious finish.
    This continued for far too long…..Hours passed. Eventually the night had finished. Must have been about 3 or 4am.
    She decided to head home. I couldn't walk. The worst case of blue balls a man has ever had.

Across the road from McDonalds, I had to sleep on the wall that lines the beach and let the hours pass, my balls deflate and my skin blister from the morning sun.
    Trundled home about 9am and blasted one out…..Which is what I should have done several hours previous to prevent the problem !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

My tale of sleeping rough is indeed, a harsh one.

One time in my formative years, I awoke in my king size bed to the sound of my dear mother knocking gently upon my bedroom door.

"Breakfast in bed, Napper?" said she.

"Oh, how wonderful" I exclaimed.

But upon my first tentative sip of my large mug of hot chocolate, I realised it was far too hot and ever so slightly burnt my tongue.

Needless to say, I was disgusted and banished her from my presence, the callous witch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Beach once or twice

Tent got destroyed the first night of the bennicassim festival but that was Spain so twas grand

Drunk in the boot of a ford fiesta arched over a spare tyre

Behind a bush near my house in cork cause was too drunk/lazy to walk the rest of the way home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

What?

Sounds like you got used for taxi fare my good man.
    Terrible alright. Just a total user.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I fell asleep in someone's back garden once. I was at a house party and I went out to the garden because I needed some fresh air. I'd had a bit too much to drink and was feeling sick. I ended up falling asleep on a bench they had out there and didn't wake up until around 6am the next morning. The worst thing was that they had locked the door and I was stuck out there. I was bloody freezing! I had to wait a few hours until someone woke up and let me out. I think I scared the bejesus out of the guy's mother when I knocked on the kitchen window. I didn't really know that guy or his family that well (I'd gone to the party with a friend of the guy's) so it was a bit awkward. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    What did you say or do to her in that taxi?!

I slept outside in St Tropez once, as I couldn't find anywhere to stay. Bugs crawling on me etc, it was horrible!

Maybe she bolted because she stole his credit card :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

More than once. The first time was years ago when I was about 19 and couldn't getta taxi back from Limerick to Shannon so off I set walking the 12 or so miles home. I made it about 8 miles and was wrecked so I sat down under a flyover for a break and then fell asleep. About an hour later I was awoke by a concerned motorist who on his way to work spotted what he thought was a dead body. He was relieved to see I was alive and I was more relieved and grateful for the offer of a lift home the rest of the way.

I've slept on a bench in Eyre Square in Galway, and once outside Euston Station in Dublin also which was probably the scariest night of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i often slept rough travelling around europe when i was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

slept in a park in Dublin near Trinity Hall (i think the accom is called) because the warden wouldn't let me and a friend stay in a friends room cause we weren't signed in, lol. Mate had 2 sleeping bags so we borrowed those and slept in the park. Actually had a good sleep and when my friend tried to wake me I wanted a few more minutes just like in the leaba. Felt like such a bum and I'd say people walking passed were wondering why us two knobheads were in sleeping bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Once in Gran Canaria, after a few too many beers i woke up on a bench at the side of the road, dont know what time it was, but the sun was up, not a clue where i was, went for a bit of a wander, found a road i knew and kept walking for maybe 20 minutes till i found the beach,
    i knew my way back to the hotel from the beach, so i set off, walked back the same road i had come down, got back to the bench i had slept on, and a few minutes the far side of it was the hotel, had a nice three quarters of an hour walk in the early morning air anyway,

Another time was at Creamfields in punchestown, one of the dj's played about 15 minutes over time, so when i got back to the bus, it was gone. Was living in Tralee at the time, so found a bus that was going to Limerick, got a lift, and wandered the streets/ slept outside the bus station untill half 7, when the first bus was going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Work night out in Templebar and I head home to Artane, about six km north if you know it

For some reason I decided to walk it?? Don't know why

Must have been walking for hours, last I remember I was on North Circular Rd and dog tired, I could barely walk

There was wasteground beside some office builiding and I climed in there and slept on the grass, nice and quiet, nobody could see me

Woke up the next day and nearly killed myself trying to get over that gate and razor wire.

I don't know how I made it over the fence without impaling myself

Slept in many airports but I don't think that counts. Roma have the most uncomfortable window sills and seats. Wood and grated metal, would wreck your back to lie on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

On a bender in Taipei some years ago, headed to a nightclub at sometime around 2am, not feeling the best so took a walk around the block to sober up a bit, feeling somewhat fatigued sat down on one of the many scooters parked at the side of the road, woke up sometime around 7am to 30 odd degrees, a very sore head and a f**king gazillion mossie bites...

Advertisement