Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you listen to Irish Original music or prefer cover bands?

Options
  • 04-11-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Poll to follow so wait before you respond:

First of all instead of taking this to the music thread, I consider this to be an AH chat kind of thread because the question is being proposed to non-musicians ( and musicians too I guess ).

Do you think Ireland is very anti-new Irish artists out on the road doing their thing? Does Louis Walsh really control the music here? Are Chrystal swing really what the Irish public want?

Am I a musician? yes. Am I annoyed at the Irish music scene? yes. Am I the only one? NO ( at least I wouldnt like to hope so. )

But its not just the big guns ( record companies ) that are making all the wrong moves its the Irish people. I find that if the Irish have a choice between a covers band on a thursday night and watching lets say...an Irish Original band such as pugwash ( my all time fav irish band by the way and no I'm not them, to prove it this is me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TFXuXxmbM) then they wont bother going to see pugwash, even if their album is backed by record companies such as EMI but would rather have a few drinks listening to some guy with a backing track singing desperado.

I suppose this is a post for the Irish public. I dont get you and would like to get to know you and why it is there is no love from you for the Irish underground artists who are soooooooo much better than JEDWARD ( not blowing my coal saying I'm better than anyone but speaking about other artists. )

Hopefully you'll all prove me wrong and tell us you love the original music scene.

It's just sad to here a great irish band like Pugwashs lead singer say ''Most of are fans are not from ireland, but from the far east, England and America.''

*sigh* :(

Do You choose Original arists/bands over cover artists/bands? 33 votes

Yes! I choose to listen to Original Artists compared to cover bands
    0% 0 votes
    Yes! I like to listen to cover bands compared to Original artists.
    100% 33 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

What are you touting, I prefer Plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh wah wah wah, why am I not famous

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Glen Miller, Mozart, Chopin and many others are dead. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

phasers wrote: »
    Oh wah wah wah, why am I not famous

Nope thats not my agenda at all. I know people who arent musicians who have the same thoughts as myself.

Just a thread to get into the hearts and minds of the Irish public thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It seems to me that most Irish bands have to make it big abroad before they're appreciated in Ireland. Personally I don't like the crap "artists" such as jedward etc and any of that manufactured pop that's pumped out.

Keep plugging away OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Captain Pugwash, a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I suppose this is a post for the Irish public. I dont get you and would like to get to know you and why it is there is no love from you for the Irish underground artists who are soooooooo much better than JEDWARD

There aren't any properly good Irish electronic artists about, which is why I've no love for them.

I also despise how there seems to be three types of Irish bands at the moment; The ones that pretend to be really indie, the ones who pretend they're really hardcore and metal, and the ones that play terrible covers of oasis.

Come out with some decent music that doesn't make me want to claw my eardrums open, Irish bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

There are people who want to go see original music and there are people who aren't that into music so would prefer to have a cover band playing whatevers in the charts, the two appeal to different kinds of people. On the subject of original bands recently I have seen Foy Vance, Adebesi Shank and 0 Emperor all original Irish bands and all really good. Another problem is that it seems hard for these bands to get noticed. I saw 0 Emperor play in the smoking area of the Bowery in Cork there wasn't even enough people to fill that and it's tiny, shameful for how good they are.

TheZohan wrote: »
    It seems to me that most Irish bands have to make it big abroad before they're appreciated in Ireland. Personally I don't like the crap "artists" such as jedward etc and any of that manufactured pop that's pumped out.

Keep plugging away OP.

Yeah watched an interview between phil lynott and Gay Byrne in the 70's and he felt he was more appreciated abroad than in Ireland. he said ''No offence but some overweight guy from Greece comes to play in Ireland singin Opera, nobody has ever heard of him before and people flock to him, but when a homegrown Irish dude like myself gives it a go nobody shows up''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP, loads of people like to see original bands, perhaps you're just shit?

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »
    There are people who want to go see original music and there are people who aren't that into music so would prefer to have a cover band playing whatevers in the charts, the two appeal to different kinds of people. On the subject of original bands recently I have seen Foy Vance, Adebesi Shank and 0 Emperor all original Irish bands and all really good. Another problem is that it seems hard for these bands to get noticed. I saw 0 Emperor play in the smoking area of the Bowery in Cork there wasn't even enough people to fill that and it's tiny, shameful for how good they are.

Thanks. yeah I mean I dont have a problem with cover bands as such, I love to hear guys give a good live version of tunes they love or that we like, but nothing beats a rockin band like many of the undergrounds I know belting their tunes that they just created last week. I just dont get the absence of seats in an original scene from the public, compared to their preference to listen to cover bands EVERY weekend. I've even met cover band artists who find this strange but hey they say it makes them their money. *shrug*:confused:

And ok as someone else said, some of these bands are garbage ( including me ) but I still think it's fun to have a look at their gigs and over a period of time they often grow in their sound, songs and performance and this is fun to watch also and be a part of dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Just give me Westlife, they have all bases covered

OP, loads of people like to see original bands, perhaps you're just shit?

I dont perform live I just create instrumentals and songs for cable shows in the states. There are two types of moves in the industry, the band that works hard, creates a sound for themselves and goes for a record deal, and the artist who just composes music for Film/tv such as network shows and cables shows.

and yeah I'm rubbish, and need to work better at my art and craft of writing songs. But this thread isnt about me it's about those artists out there who are actually good and deserve the record deal and applause they are after.

Thats why I began the thread, so please dont let it evolve into a thread about me lets focus on the premise of thread.

jam

sgb wrote: »
    Just give me Westlife, they have all bases covered

Havnt you heard? they split up:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Unfortunately for Irish artists there is very little exposure over the airwaves, or anywhere else but the odd 'indie' show on tv.

It's a friggin disgrace and an insult as there is so much homegrown talent going unnoticed and we have to hear Back in Black 500 times a day on Nova or Arcade Fires latest on Phantom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You say it like the vast majority of people listening to more commercial pop-type stuff, leaving only a niche market for "serious musicians" and other genres is a uniquely Irish thing. It's not.

WindSock wrote: »
    Unfortunately for Irish artists there is very little exposure over the airwaves, or anywhere else but the odd 'indie' show on tv.

It's a friggin disgrace and an insult as there is so much homegrown talent going unnoticed and we have to hear Back in Black 500 times a day on Nova or Arcade Fires latest on Phantom.

yeah, radio airplay is a big thing for artists, and the artists who spend much of their dole and hard earned cash from stacking shelves in Dunne stores really create a whopping record and yet get no airplay, nothing in return, it's a shame.

Unless your biography says: ''I've supported Paul weller and also mow his lawn every second saturday'' radio shows? they dont wanna know.

there should be a national airplay radio station for underground artists, even if the bands productions are created on garage band home studio, it still makes for pure fun and it's art regardless. biggrin.gif

Namlub wrote: »
    You say it like the vast majority of people listening to more commercial pop-type stuff, leaving only a niche market for "serious musicians" and other genres is a uniquely Irish thing. It's not.

Wrong! it may not be a uniquely Irish thing. But after his gig here in Ireland one night I was speaking with Aziz Ibriham ( Ian Browns Guitarist ) and he said to me, ''what is it with your country? like 20 people showed up to my gig tonight. When I play London, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, the venue is full of mad go getters''.

I shruged it off and tried to change the subject, truly I was ashamed of being Irish that night I didnt know how else to respond ehhhhh.

But I'm tellin ya. Even Daniel O Donnell packs the house in Dubai, whats happening man? This Country is losing it's green status. :):(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Origional artists any day.

Josh Groban is pure class but that shower of schite Westlife have taken LOADS of his songs and make a right muck of them!
    Bunch of ****! :mad:

Wrong! it may not be a uniquely Irish thing. But after his gig here in Ireland one night I was speaking with Aziz Ibriham ( Ian Browns Guitarist ) and he said to me, ''what is it with your country? like 20 people showed up to my gig tonight. When I play London, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, the venue is full of mad go getters''.

Didn't even know Aziz did solo stuff, but there ya go. Again, exposure I guess. Of course he would be more exposed there in his homegrown territory, especially in Northern England with his link to Ian Brown.

But I'm tellin ya. Even Daniel O Donnell packs the house in Dubai, whats happening man? This Country is losing it's green status. :):(

That's nothing to be proud of :P. Probably all Irish expats going anyway...

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Origional artists any day.

Josh Groban is pure class but that shower of schite Westlife have taken LOADS of his songs and make a right muck of them!
    Bunch of ****! :mad:

Ya got style Biggins. Seems like Louis Walsh is the cause of Irelands woes.

I say bring the sixties back. Here is a band who nobody shows up to their gigs really. They arent Irish but still...I say bring back some real instruments and writers like these guys. Love their sound and if you like the sixties underground stuff I'm sure you would like them too. I think they will be the ones to change the tide of how people today listen to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

fleet foxes? You've probably never heard of them.

I'm not in touch with the music scene at all and even I know who Fleet Foxes are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Fleet Foxes are pretty popular tbh

phasers wrote: »
    fleet foxes? You've probably never heard of them.

I'm not in touch with the music scene at all and even I know who Fleet Foxes are.

THEN GO TO THEIR GIGS! :D:D:D:D

http://thedaytripperblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/img561.gif

thread wont let me post pics so you'll have to click on link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

From my experience, Irish original bands, by enlarge, have been utter cr*p. Someone hit the nail on the head - The indie band who simply have no idea how generic and forgettable they sound (and how much a third of the crowd would love to break them). Then you got the home grown traditional bands and solo acts which has been flogged and battered for centuries, yet these folks still beat their guitars about how she left him...in a field...in athlone, who gives a diddly ohhh f*ck about this common theme any more?? IMO 99% percent are chancers looking for a bit of attention.

There has been a few occasions where Ive thought "Im not a huge fan but that was worth the listen". I dont think people listen to music the way we once did. Music was so heavy with emotion, extraordinary song writing, intellectual and heartfelt, at times encouraging and merging with huge movements - 60's. Their seems to be no subtlety, romance, patience any more. You have bands bashing out 4/4 verse/chorus stuff, which is still a good formula but its so referenced and extracted from bands that are already blatant pasteurists. It just seems song writing is done for an immediate, temporary little hit/jig, nothing sustaining or rich.

Im not keen on covers either but women are, do the math.

guitarzero wrote: »
    From my experience, Irish original bands, by enlarge, have been utter cr*p. Someone hit the nail on the head - The indie band who simply have no idea how generic and forgettable they sound (and how much a third of the crowd would love to break them). Then you got the home grown traditional bands and solo acts which has been flogged and battered for centuries, yet these folks still beat their guitars about how she left him...in a field...in athlone, who gives a diddly ohhh f*ck about this common theme any more?? IMO 99% percent are chancers looking for a bit of attention.

There has been a few occasions where Ive thought "Im not a huge fan but that was worth the listen". I dont think people listen to music the way we once did. Music was so heavy with emotion, extraordinary song writing, intellectual and heartfelt, at times encouraging and merging with huge movements - 60's. Their seems to be no subtlety, romance, patience any more. You have bands bashing out 4/4 verse/chorus stuff, which is still a good formula but its so referenced and extracted from bands that are already blatant pasteurists. It just seems song writing is done for an immediate, temporary little hit/jig, nothing sustaining or rich.

Great post guitar hero :D

couple of questions:

1. what is a pasteurist? lol

and

2. What formula works for you? what do you suggest bands or artists could do to flesh out their music and make it stand out more?

Thanks. yeah I mean I dont have a problem with cover bands as such, I love to hear guys give a good live version of tunes they love or that we like, but nothing beats a rockin band like many of the undergrounds I know belting their tunes that they just created last week. I just dont get the absence of seats in an original scene from the public, compared to their preference to listen to cover bands EVERY weekend. I've even met cover band artists who find this strange but hey they say it makes them their money. *shrug*:confused:

And ok as someone else said, some of these bands are garbage ( including me ) but I still think it's fun to have a look at their gigs and over a period of time they often grow in their sound, songs and performance and this is fun to watch also and be a part of dont you think?

I think a lot of people go to see cover bands the same way they go to a pub or a club it's not a decision to go see the band, they're just going on the piss and the band happen to be there. there is more of a conscious decision in going to see an original band.

guitarzero wrote: »

We are? :eek:

There are a lot of great bands and musicians in NZ that get little play overseas, but the great thing about there is they celebrate their own music and even have a whole month dedicated to promoting it.

http://www.nzmusicmonth.co.nz/what-is-nz-music-month/

Think we could really do with something similar here, although Irish trad has had a massive global impact, it would be great if we celebrated our contemporary artists a bit better.

WindSock wrote: »
    We are? :eek:

There are a lot of great bands and musicians in NZ that get little play overseas, but the great thing about there is they celebrate their own music and even have a whole month dedicated to promoting it.

http://www.nzmusicmonth.co.nz/what-is-nz-music-month/

Think we could really do with something similar here, although Irish trad has had a massive global impact, it would be great if we celebrated our contemporary artists a bit better.

You heard the man, now go and change your vote in the poll :P:pac:

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »
    I think a lot of people go to see cover bands the same way they go to a pub or a club it's not a decision to go see the band, they're just going on the piss and the band happen to be there. there is more of a conscious decision in going to see an original band.

Good point. But in the small ( did I say small? maybe not so ) town I come from such as Dundalk they seem to purposely go out to see these bands do their sets. Again I cant speak for the whole of ireland and I can only come in from the small town perspective as opposed to cities because thats all I really know.

Advertisement