Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you met any rockstars that were actually cool?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SLK2005

Met Richard Fortus, Thin Lizzy / G & R. Very nice lad, took the time to chat to my 14yr old son and later answer his email.
    The Edge very friendly, no sh£t about him. Got a big autograph which the young fella is going to get framed.
    Have a drum stick from a UFO gig at the stadium in the early 80s but that doesnt really count as I didnt meet Andy Parker the drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Paul Gilbert was bang on sound. So were the guys from Amon Amarth. I got stuff signed from Anthrax a few years ago when Danny Spitz was briefly in the band. Himself and Joey Belladonna came across as the friendliest out of the lot while the rest kept their heads down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

You know what, there are "rock stars", musicians that are labelled to be so uncool and a lot of the time its the one's with the good reputations that can be so up their own áras's

I was walking down by Waltons Music a good few years ago, and Pappa Roche's stores walked by, I was about 14 at the time, just after buying leads for my guitar and I stalked after them big time, as I remember Bill Clinton was buzzing about town alson that day, oh well.

Well I tapped Jacoby Shaddix on the shoulder and just said Hi, he stopped everyone stopped and was just like hey what's up and we started chatting, really friendly, smiling asking me how I was even though I was completly stalling everyone he signed my cardboard packaging for the leads, I was well happy.

Still not the most amazing run in, but at that age, to have that connection with someone it was just a really uplifting experience,

I've decided not to try and meet musicians I really respect as they've dissapointed me in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

after the RATM gig in the O2 I was walking around the arena looking for my mates, got talking to Cormac from The Answer. was good craic, both us were fairly drunk! very nice guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

A point worth making is that people in bands are just people, some might be amiable and friendly, some aloof, some arrogant assholes, but same could be said for anyone you might approach at any time, anywhere. The biggest problem with meeting your idols is that they might turn out to be regular people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Agree about the Edge was talking to him at the Urinals in pub in Dublin about 10 yrs ago, he went back to his group of friends, went he was leaving we stopped him & asked if we could get his autograph. He waited while we found a pen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

met Bon Scott when i was living in london circa 1977 -sound bloke was bon had some bird with him.other than that met dave mustaine cork last year ,the guy that played sax on lizzy live and dangerous,doug from kings x,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Met Sepultura a few years back, they were very cool.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Worked with Joey Ramone for a day - an absolute gentleman & one of the sweetest, most considerate people I have ever met.

Also Jimi Sommerville - really nice

And Rob Halford - great fun - total character & all around nice guy

James Hetfield was surprisingly nice when I met him, expected a lot of ego but he was quite the opposite.

E from the Eels accidentally peed on my shoe before their gig once, got chatting after he repeatedly apologized and then asked what song I'd like to hear them play that night.

Presidents of the United States of America were all just great guys. Spent a night hanging out with them and to say that we're nice is an under statement.

Met Henry Rollins over the summer and he could not be more accommodating to his fans. Guy is just a real gent, he came out after a gig to the 30 or so of us who waited and spent about an hour chatting to everyone, signing things and taking photos. Not a hint of ego about him, just a regular down to earth guy who appreciates his fans unlike some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

James Hetfield was surprisingly nice when I met him, expected a lot of ego but he was quite the opposite.

E from the Eels accidentally peed on my shoe before their gig once, got chatting after he repeatedly apologized and then asked what song I'd like to hear them play that night.

Presidents of the United States of America were all just great guys. Spent a night hanging out with them and to say that we're nice is an under statement.

Met Henry Rollins over the summer and he could not be more accommodating to his fans. Guy is just a real gent, he came out after a gig to the 30 or so of us who waited and spent about an hour chatting to everyone, signing things and taking photos. Not a hint of ego about him, just a regular down to earth guy who appreciates his fans unlike some.

Rollins can be a bit of an ass at times but I'd well believe that he appreciates his fans, he doesn't take his success for granted at all and punishing work schedule is in part fuelled by a fear of ending up in a wage slave job.

Rollins can be a bit of an ass at times but I'd well believe that he appreciates his fans, he doesn't take his success for granted at all and punishing work schedule is in part fuelled by a fear of ending up in a wage slave job.

I think with Rollins he can jump the gun at times, that video of him getting all crazy at some kids he thought were making fun of him is a prime example. He's the kind of guy that if you're an ass to then he will be an even bigger one back to you.

He seems to have relaxed his schedule in recent years, though I agree with him that if you the opportunity to do what you love for a living then you should take every opportunity and not be one of those who takes months off to sit around and do nothing.

The one thing that he could do is smile more, its rare to see him smile and never in fan pics. Not one friend who has met him has seen him smile and that includes one friend who spent months working on a show with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think with Rollins he can jump the gun at times, that video of him getting all crazy at some kids he thought were making fun of him is a prime example. He's the kind of guy that if you're an ass to then he will be an even bigger one back to you.

He seems to have relaxed his schedule in recent years, though I agree with him that if you the opportunity to do what you love for a living then you should take every opportunity and not be one of those who takes months off to sit around and do nothing.

The one thing that he could do is smile more, its rare to see him smile and never in fan pics. Not one friend who has met him has seen him smile and that includes one friend who spent months working on a show with him.

Oh that vid is high on the cringe list, the Iranian girl he was with was very embarassed, he kinda just identified those people as hipsters (probably correctly) and acted like an ass to them and as hipsters they gave snarky replies which he wasn't expecting. Then he had to backtrack, he pretty much said I hate hipsters, without saying you are hipsters but implying it strongly and then did a 360 when they said "what do you know about us."

There's another vid where as a 20 something he basically acts like the older brother bully to this kid that's interviewing him, not cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

After their gig in Dolans, Limerick in 2002, I met all the lads from Breed77 and One Minute Silence, smoked "stuff" with them on OMS's tour bus. They were such a sound bunch!

Brian Yap Barry asked me where I was from and what my name was and he then said "oh yeah, you're dad taught me mathematics" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Chatted to Ricky Warwick at the top of Grafton street one day about 14 years ago. Really nice guy, very approachable and didn't mind some random stranger rabbitting on about The Almighty (they'd split at that point).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Met Trey from Morbid Angel after their London gig on Tuesday, got a photo and had a chat to him about Quake 3 instagib! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Met Trey from Morbid Angel after their London gig on Tuesday, got a photo and had a chat to him about Quake 3 instagib! :pac:

What's he like to talk to? Also, any mention of an Irish gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

met a few in my time but the ones that stand out as cool people to meet and actually talk to were:

Erik Rutan
    Igor Cavalera & Andres kisser
    Shane Embury
    All the lads from Onslaught
    John Tardy

Met the original line up of Paradise Lost back in the early 90s. Sound bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jaysus, Paradise Lost, I always thought they would be the next big thing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Met Steven Wilson, Gavin Harrison, Richard Barbieri (all from Porcupine Tree) and Jon Wesley (their concert guitarist) at after-gig party in Albert Hall last October - lovely bunch of guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

What's he like to talk to? Also, any mention of an Irish gig?

He's a dead sound guy. Got very enthusiastic which to be honest, I wasn't expecting at all.

A mate mentioned it but I can't remember what he said about it. I'll find out though if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,206 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Met Steven Wilson, Gavin Harrison, Richard Barbieri (all from Porcupine Tree) and Jon Wesley (their concert guitarist) at after-gig party in Albert Hall last October - lovely bunch of guys.

Where was that after party? Although I think Im remembering the flyers now. Met them after the Dublin show the Monday before that though.

Mikael Akerfeldt is a really nice guy, TRoy from QotSA is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I went backstage at Alice In Chains's gig in Manchester on their last tour through these parts. Talked to William Duvall first for a good while - I'm a big Comes With The Fall fan. Great band. So m and my girlfriend know William and we had a beer and he signed/ruined my CWTF album with a gold ink pen we had...

cwtf-richy.jpg

Had a beer with Mike Inez who was telling us stories about his times with Ozzy Osbourne because he had some friends from the Ozzy crew with him. SUPER nice guy who has a smile etched on his face all the time.

Sean Kinney was feeling a little under the weather but met us and joked around for a while before heading off and Jerry was really cool, totally relaxed and appreciative of the support. So yeah, very positive experience.

Here's some signed stuff and a goofy pic (Baldy, their crew guy was taking the pic and said "Kung-Fu!" as opposed to "Say cheese!")

bgwtb.jpg

signin.jpg

kung-fu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Mushy wrote: »
    Where was that after party? Although I think Im remembering the flyers now. Met them after the Dublin show the Monday before that though.

Mikael Akerfeldt is a really nice guy, TRoy from QotSA is too.

It was in the Albert Hall - Laisse Hoille had an exhibition of prints related to the band before hand in the Elgar Room (I think). I bought one and went back to collect it after the concert. It turned out that the invited guests and the band were having drinks there at the bar afterwards. Got a print of "The Incident" cover signed by them all (except Colin Edwin who was gone). Two members of Marillion were there two (Steve Hogarth, singer and Steve Rothery, guitarist) as well as Steve Hackett (former guitarist with Genesis)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,206 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delphi91 wrote: »
    It was in the Albert Hall - Laisse Hoille had an exhibition of prints related to the band before hand in the Elgar Room (I think). I bought one and went back to collect it after the concert. It turned out that the invited guests and the band were having drinks there at the bar afterwards. Got a print of "The Incident" cover signed by them all (except Colin Edwin who was gone). Two members of Marillion were there two (Steve Hogarth, singer and Steve Rothery, guitarist) as well as Steve Hackett (former guitarist with Genesis)

Wow a journey through the ages of prog really. Thats amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

met a good few artists who were really sound, dandy warhols, gary numan, captain sensible, suede, steve diggle from the buzzcocks told me this hilarious story about taking all of kurt cobain's cocaine stash when they supported nirvana knowing he'd get away with it..

the only major dick i met was wayne hussey from the mission, total ignorant ego prick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Met this bloke last night, apologises, the person didn't tell me it was a HD camera until afterwards so its a big file. Also have a few videos from meeting Theory Of A Deadman, Black Stone Cherry and Alter Bridge on Saturday. Ill post one below.

311321_10151039184720145_810160144_21978115_116473680_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

• Advertisement

Can't see either of those.....?

Advertisement