Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you met any rockstars that were actually cool?

Options
  • 04-11-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Apparently a lot of rock stars are assholes, was wondering are there any cool rockstars that don't act like self important asshats? For example Devin Townsend is meant to be cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Apparently a lot of rock stars are assholes, was wondering are there any cool rockstars that don't act like self important asshats? For example Devin Townsend is meant to be cool.

I think in the Rock/Metal scene the arseholes are definitely in the minority.

I've met so many but can't remember one nobhead, Dave Mustaine was a bit of a gobshite but i didn't technically meet him, he used a bad trick to avoid meeting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

scudzilla wrote: »
    I think in the Rock/Metal scene the arseholes are definitely in the minority.

I've met so many but can't remember one nobhead, Dave Mustaine was a bit of a gobshite but i didn't technically meet him, he used a bad trick to avoid meeting us.

Bad trick? Or dare I ask?

Bad trick? Or dare I ask?

Just him being a nob, think it was around '88, outside Manchester Apollo after a gig, round the side by the backstage door, next to the Pub. About 30 odd fans were waiting, and the rest of the band signed anything/everything.

Then a roadie came out, asked who wanted some pics, threw them in the air away from the tourbus, people go to get them and Mustaine just runs onto the bus and refused to come out. Gobshite

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Met all of Metallica,all sound. Also met Faith No More,very cool,particularly Big Jim Martin. Met Aerosmith and in general sound except for Joe Perry who was a ponce and pouted like he was the big rock star and doing record signings was beneath him. Steven Tyler was brilliant,would've chatted all day except their handlers were trying to keep things moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Pete Steele was an absolute gent outside the SFX back around '96 or '97, can't imagine him being any different 'til the day he died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

graveyardshift.jpg
    12399_10150119542795145_810160144_11413608_8193924_n.jpg
    6449_277604755144_810160144_8657671_3065546_n.jpg

These guys were all nice
    Apparently a lot of rock stars are assholes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056436887

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

at least he didn't use a bad trick to avoid kissing the blarney stone, like my bud. Went all that way to anyhow sure why not btw how many of you?? They will often shirk the throngs u gotta get in with em by yourself via drugs or good restaurant suggestion.. though slayer just wanted the nearest BK. Paradise Lost wanted the best italian vino to sink their plastic fangs into

Also if mustaine sometimes seems egotistical well he is a virtuoso in the field of thrash .. so it may be a byproduct. Motley you make famous people look even shorter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've met Rise Against, and they were all fantastically nice. Likewise for George Fisher from Cannibal Corpse.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    at least he didn't use a bad trick to avoid kissing the blarney stone, like my bud. Went all that way to anyhow sure why not btw how many of you?? They will often shirk the throngs u gotta get in with em by yourself via drugs or good restaurant suggestion.. though slayer just wanted the nearest BK. Paradise Lost wanted the best italian vino to sink their plastic fangs into

Also if mustaine sometimes seems egotistical well he is a virtuoso in the field of thrash .. so it may be a byproduct. Motley you make famous people look even shorter

WTF!!

WTF!!

Indeed. Thought i was missing something there!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I met Robert Plant in a rehearsal room in Birmingham around 1991-ish and he was cool. Also met and chatted to Lajon Witherspoon from Sevendust after a gig and he was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Met and drank with Phil Lynott and he was as cool as they as get and also a nice guy.

Met Lemmy who was sound, Lips from Anvil back in the 80s, who was also sound. Ian Gillan and Tony Iommi who were quite but not particularly rude.

Brian Robertson, who was a bit of a nob!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Chad Smith did a drum clinic up in BIMM music college today before the gig. He was supposedly really cool and nice and friendly. Signed an old concert ticket for my friend even though he was being rushed to his van, said hi and thanks to everyone that had waited outside for him.

On his Twitter he commented saying he'd a great time and tried to comment as Gaeilge. Bless him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

lord lucan wrote: »
    Indeed. Thought i was missing something there!:confused:

Oh but you are james

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Met Alexisonfire several times and they are the nicest guys you could meet. Dallas can be a bit off at times but the rest of em are dead on. Went for a few drinks with them after a show in London a few years back, even got them to sing happy birthday for my gf who couldn't make it.

The Hives were way cooler than I expected too. Met them in a Guitar Center in New York and chatted with them for 20 mins. They were all asking about Ireland and stuff. One of the guitarists asked me to jam a song with him too. Got a cool photo with the singer too!

Martha from Bleeding Through is great too. Ended up watching the other bands with her at the Never Say Die tour in Newcastle last year. Sound out.

36 Crazyfists, Rise Against, Sepultura and Funeral for a Friend were all great aswell though they were just fleeting exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Nornagest (Enthoned) and Peter Tatgren (Hypocrisy) are quite decent to have a chat with, but above all, I would mention Eisregen

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Me da met Rory Gallagher at a gig back in the day and let him play his guitar, plus he gave me da his guitar pic. Sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Me da met Rory Gallagher at a gig back in the day and let him play his guitar, plus he gave me da his guitar pic. Sound :)

Your dad is one lucky sonofa*****

Your dad is one lucky sonofa*****
    yeah lad, of course back then those were the days when fans were allowed to be close to the musicians, not like today were theres upteen security guards and barriers.

yeah lad, of course back then those were the days when fans were allowed to be close to the musicians, not like today were theres upteen security guards and barriers.

True, in the past at big festivals there were only 3 main areas of admittance.
    Front of stage where the fans went, 1 Backstage area and The Stage (Artists only but only during or before there own set)

Nowadays ya got Backstage, VIP, Artistes Area, AAA and stage. So if yer feeling happy you have an elusive Backstage pass, the only thing it probably means is slightly better bogs and quicker to get a pint.

• Advertisement

True, in the past at big festivals there were only 3 main areas of admittance.
    Front of stage where the fans went, 1 Backstage area and The Stage (Artists only but only during or before there own set)

Nowadays ya got Backstage, VIP, Artistes Area, AAA and stage. So if yer feeling happy you have an elusive Backstage pass, the only thing it probably means is slightly better bogs and quicker to get a pint.
    haha well said.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Met Gavin Harrison (drummer for Porcupine Tree and other bands) at his Drum Clinic earlier this year, gentleman is the only word for him. Got an autograph and a picture.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Billie Joe from Green Day is an absolute sweetheart.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was working at Arthurs Day this year and met the drummer from The Killers who was a really cool guy along with his band (which included the original bass player from Weezer :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Met Eddie Vedder & Mike McCready in Dublin, totally cool guys. Got a guitar pick from Eddie & a tooth pick from Mike :) Billy Corgan suprisingly nice, heard mixed stories about him, I was lucky enough to get into his soundcheck when he played solo here a few years ago, have to mention his touring keyboard player, Linda Strawberry, she was totally cool, really nice & not bad looking also :) Tom Araya from Slayer & Joey Belladonna from Anthrax, cool guys. Max Cavalera, sound bloke, Chad Smith from the chili peppers, a legend & a total gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been lucky enough to meet a good few of my favourites over the years, but the ones that stand out as geniunely nice folk are Kittie, Fear Factory, and Joey Bellodonna from Anthrax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Have met a lot of bands over the last few years and the only people I found rude were Mike Patton from FNM and Kerry King from Slayer.

That said I know people who have met them over the years and say they've been lovely. Everyone's entitled to a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Well I met one of my idols (Vinnie Paul - Pantera) in an Irish bar while I was on honeymoon in new york.

Myself and the missus went on the piss with him and a couple of other lads from Hell Yeah and they were some of the soundest most down to earth people you would ever meet.

Myself and Vinnie were chosing Pantera songs on the Jukebox together.

How awesome is that. Best night ever..

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Well I met one of my idols (Vinnie Paul - Pantera) in an Irish bar while I was on honeymoon in new york.

Myself and the missus went on the piss with him and a couple of other lads from Hell Yeah and they were some of the soundest most down to earth people you would ever meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

bigbadcon wrote: »

Had a similar night in fibbers with gene hoglan from death/syl

Chad smith is indeed a gent, as is Devin Townsend, ditto fear factory (minus burton, didn't get to chat him much so have no opinion) Justin chancellor is nice, as is Adam jones (great story bout him, and how he went out of his way for a fan, for another day tho)

Taylor Hawkins passed me a joint. Mike mckeegan is nice, but wouldn't pose for a photo. Peter Steele was of course, a gent. Ditto all of slayer ( minus araya, he wasn't there, and it was bostaph, not Lombardo....shared a urinal with hanneman!)

Sikth.... All gents, even mikee, who's mental.
    Hmmm I've met more than Id thought I had!

Advertisement