Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Tuesday, August 20th, 2013

This was pretty much a repeat of yesterday.....

Run plan: easy

First up, a sneaky lunchtime field run in the sun....

Actual: 4.2 hot field miles

Next up, an evening field run with butterfles who were faster than me. The body is still feeling fine, but I am tired tonight. Sleep can't come soon enough.

Actual: 4.2 slow field miles
    ~~~~~~~

Swim

I have neglected all core work this summer - I just really haven't had time to fit it in. With DCM less than 10 weeks away I am going to try and add a little strength and core work, along with some stretching and yoga. :) So, a very minuscule amount of core and stretching was done on the pool deck prior to diving in. Felt good, but I've really got to get this back in the training rotation.

The swim was a lovely steady swim in my comfy cozy pool. Love saving my swim for the last task of the day. It's slice of heaven that makes all the world's problems seem so far away.

Actual: 1,000 yard pool swim

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Plan: 3 hours at a pace slightly slower than easy

Well, this was interesting.....
    .....this was 3 hours of field running in a crazy electrical storm. :eek: In other words, that was 26 or 27 or 28 times around the field in 3 hours while it poured buckets. I sort of lost count the number of times around once I hit 12. <sigh> I certainly had not intended on doing this run in the field - good god I am not THAT crazy - but when I exited the clinic at 5:30 this evening with my running gear on all ready to hit the hills and streets, I was greeted by dark clouds and fierce lightening off by the Massanutten Mountain. Crap! It just looked too ominous to be too far from home, so I quickly made the decision to hit the field for this one in case it got too bad. I must've figured if I got struck by lightning, at least there'd be a finite area to look for my body in. :rolleyes:;)

In summary, by the hour...

First hour - insane rain, nasty thunder and lightning off in the distance, gale force wind, cold currents of air, Green Day to keep me company.

Second hour - insane rain, scary thunder and lightning all around me, blustery wind, Green Day still keeping me company.

Third hour - steady rain, lightning off by the Blue Ridge Mountain, dusk morphing into total darkness :eek:, imagination taking over and scaring me into thinking every shadow contained some kind of nocturnal creature that does harm to little girls in runners :eek:, got totally spooked by an unnatural sound in the adjacent field and convinced myself it was a little-girl-in-runners-eating bear when in fact it turned out to be a harmless cow :o, was comforted by the lightning bugs that were out, was amazed at how noisy bugs are when it's pitch black, couldn't see a foot in front of me for the last 45 minutes which made for a particularly slow final leg, and had my beloved Foo Fighters jamming in my ears trying their best to distract me from all the monsters in the night.

Slow, slow, slow run (due to the circumstances surrounding this run - field, weather, darkness, scaring the sh*t out of myself)...but I got 3 hours in and I could have done more. No energy issues with this one, I guess that's due to keeping the pace so slow....and keeping the pace pretty steady. I was amazed at how steady I kept pace until I couldn't see due to the darkness. I guess I just get into a rhythm....a steady, relaxed rhythm. Any way, no complaints I guess. It's done.

Paces:
    9:20, 9:13, 9:21, 9:28, 9:28, 9:26, 9:28, 9:36, 9:31, 9:30, 9:30, 9:28, 9:27, 9:32
    and the darkness came....9:41, 10:07, 10:19, 10:46, 8:39 (10:49)

Actual: 18.8 miles in 3:01:59 for an average slow pace in a god awful electrical storm and partial darkness of 9:41 min/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Your mad :D

Some dedication though if I had half that motivation at the moment I would be laughing. Will all come together in Oct

ecoli wrote: »
    Your mad :D

Some dedication though if I had half that motivation at the moment I would be laughing. Will all come together in Oct

:)

I just could not stomach the treadmill for 3 hours - to me, this was the lesser of two evils.

The interesting thing that came out of this for me was how good I felt physically and cardiovasularly throughout...which either indicates that the external forces were much more miserable than the internal forces, or there is something to this going slow for long distances.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

I returned to last night's crime scene for this one - the field. Ugh! You'd think I'd be totally sick of the field by now, or that I could just put my legs on auto-pilot and snooze while I went 'round and around, but it's an entirely different look out there when it's not piercing rain or spewing lightning bolts or blowing walls of wind, not to mention the fact that I could actually see where I was going and there in fact were no wild demons chasing me. The legs definitely knew they had been through something last night, so I kept this in the easy-recovery range. Hot and humid out there today....but it's all good.

Actual: 4.2 easy/recovery field miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great stuff all together, what distance is that loop, I have been known to do 15 miles on a 1k loop, I just think of it like a 10k track race, only each lap is longer :pac:, good mental strenght!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great stuff all together, what distance is that loop, I have been known to do 15 miles on a 1k loop, I just think of it like a 10k track race, only each lap is longer :pac:, good mental strenght!

That loop is approximately .7 mile....so our loops are of very similar distances. Good mental strength, for sure!!!! :)

Friday, August 23rd, 2013

Plan: easy

omfg.....I took a rest day. :eek:

Purely situational as it was raining buckets at lunch (so no sneaky lunchtime run) and my brother and his wife were in town for dinner (so no evening run after a making a total pig of myself). Thank goodness I had banked a little weekly mileage already. :) First rest day in WEEKS!

Saturday, August 24th, 2013

I've got some Olympic style massive house cleaning going on this weekend, so this was just an easy field run in between washing linens and cleaning toilets. This has been a funny week training-wise - all runs have been easy or slower than easy. Next week, not so much. Next week is ugly. Gah.

Tomorrow.....Spartan Race!!! I suspect I'm going to get a little muddy. :D

Actual: 6.3 field miles

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oh I love mud runs. Brings out the kid in me. Enjoy!

Spartan Race
    Sunday, August 25th, 2013
    Wintergreen, VA

Oh boy am I going to be one sore puppy tomorrow. Yikes! In between the 20+ obstacles that tested the absolute limits of my puny upper body, this mud run/obstacle course was done at a ski resort so all 8 miles of it was either up the mountain or down the mountain, and my poor quads are going to be screaming at me in protest when I awake in the morning, I just know it! :( But it was a fun day, and here's my brief story....

Up an at 'em early to travel the 2 hours to the venue with some of my team mates. Checked in, got body marked, fastened my chip and race number, coordinated our matching team outfits, then off to mill about prior to the start. After realizing that this adventure was going to take several hours to complete, I made the very wise decision with 20 minutes to go to scarf down a breakfast bicuit for I was feeling pretty hungry. My team mates were worried they might see my breakfast biscuit make a reappearance at some point, but I had to get some food in me pronto!

After a motivational speech that included a lot of yelling and chanting about being a Spartan and what we do for a living (apparently it has something to do with some movie I've never seen before) at the start line, my wave was off pretty unceremoniously. A bit anticlimatic really, but before we knew it we were trekking up a muddy hill and to our first set of obstacles - walls we had go over and under. They went easy on us at the start as these walls we had to go over were pretty short and werre no trouble for a weakling like me. The obstacles seemed to come in clusters, and most were immediately after some god awful climb. There were walls to hurldle over or shimmy under, rope netting to climb, a very cool and very high slip and slide to shoot down and into a body of very cold and very muddy water, logs to carry up and down a hill, logs to turn end over end, concrete weights to drag, sandbags to carry, barbwire to go under in the mud and rock (rolling on your side is best, but it makes you nauseatingly dizzy!), inverted walls to get over, a spear to throw, a traverse wall to walk, a concrete weight to lift on a pully, haybales to jump (my specialty!), a wall to swim under in cold muddy water, fire to jump, a slippery wall to climb with a rope, and my very favorite obstacle because I really didn't think I could do it but I did :D - the very high rope climb that was suspended over a mud hole that I had to make my way up to ring the bell that was at the tippy top before I made my way back down without falling. The rope had knots in it for our hands and feet, and once I realized that the secret to this climb was in the leg strength and not arm strength, I knew I had this thing. And I did. :) I am most proud about nailing that obstacle. :cool:

This was fun, and to all of you who have never done a mud run - you really need to experience one at least once in your life. It's teamwork and no time pressure (unless you are an elite going for the prize purse)...and it challenges you in ways that running and triathlon races don't. Plus, you get totally dirty and get to wear a cool headband and feel like a bad @ss, so what's not to like about that? The post race showers are garden hoses pumping very cold water, so keep that in mind when you've crossed the finish line and are dreaming about a nice hot shower. Not going to happen at a mud run. But they do have the option to have yourself power washed by a volunteer. Looked to me like the volunteers were having way too much fun for my liking!! :eek:;)

Looking at the pictures posted on facebook and assessing the damage in the shower when I got home, I see that my race clothes were a mess, I looked several shades darker than I really am (made my teeth look pearly white!), my hair was tangled and knotted, and I had mud and dirt in places I never would have dreamed of! So yes, Oryx, it definitely brought out the kid in me!! Fun day out. Whoop whoop!!! :)

• Advertisement

Spartan Race, the aftermath....

I woke up this morning with quads that were less than happy with my adventures yesterday....and discovered cuts, scrapes, bruises, punctures, a sore derriere, sore shoulders, ripped up palms, and a swollen/bruised/jammed finger. I guess I got more than a medal and a t-shirt yesterday! I also realized I did a pretty piss-poor job on my race report (total snooze-fest!) so I thought I'd just wrap this baby up with a few more thoughts....and photos. :eek: I never post photos cuz I can't stand photos of myself as most of us women don't but I thought perhaps getting a bit of a visual would convey the spirit of the event better than my words.

But a few words first.....
    As I mentioned yesterday, I did this as a team of seven, which was grand until it became very apparent that 2 of the gals (there were 4 guys and 3 gals) were of a different ability than the rest of us. Basically, the ladies had many great talents and were totally digging this whole Mountain Muscle pink fandango thing we had going on, but they weren't the most skilled at running/hiking up and down the side of a mountain over and over again (as weren't a lot of the participants - lots of b*tching and moaning going on out there :confused: and I thought we were Spartans going out to battle the course!!!!), and after waiting for them at the obstacles probably an accumulated hour :eek:, at mile 6 the five of us made the decision after waiting and waiting for them at the concrete block pulley and not being able to see them coming up the side of the mountain to forge ahead. In their defense, it has been said that we climbed 4,153 feet over 8 miles yesterday, so that's really nothing to sneeze about. I hated leaving them, especially since I had come to appreciate the need for your teammates when you are small and of the female persuasion and are facing a wall that you need a boost to get over to avoid the 30 burpees you'll have to do as your penalty if you do not successfully kill it. :o I came to know one of my mates quite well. He was my catapult man, and boy could he practically toss me over the wall to another teammate who was waiting on the other side to ease me to the ground. Girls, get yourself a few big, strong men on your team for this kind of adventure.....or at least don't be shy about meeting some strapping fellas on the course who are eager to give you a boost. ;)

And speaking of burpees, I had to do a total of 90 of them. :o My first set came when my hand slipped off the monkey bar. It was my second grasp and it just slipped right off knocking me to the ground. Crap! So there I was on the side with my mates waiting for me as I did 30 of these god awful things. My next set came when I didn't hit the target with my spear, but fortunately the burpee section was quite crowded so I got to do these in style with company. Looks like these mud run folks don't spend a lot of time chucking spears. And my last set was near the end when I fell off the traverse wall. In my defense, the blocks for me to hold on to were spaced way too far apart for me - there just was no way I was going to get this one done. So, 30 more burpees and that made 90. Whoop whoop. :(

But the laugh of the day came when I was told by a teammate that I had come in 3rd in my age group. :D Oh. My. God. Too hilarious, really. I mean, we wasted so much time along the way waiting for our mates and just taking our time in general that I can't believe I came in third. Obviously there is commentary in that result, but I will not even go there. Let's just say, you kids have something to look forward to. ;):)

And now the pictures of a few of the obstacles....to better provide a flavor of the day.

The map of the course:
    image.jpg

On top of a wall with a teammate:
    Hmmmm....well, this is a bust. For some strange reason my Ipad will not allow me to add another photo without losing the first....and I don't think I've exceeded the space limit. Oh well. If I figure this out then I'll post them as an edit....otherwise, just use your imagination!!

Monday, August 26th, 2013

This will be quick as I wasted too much time trying to unsuccessfully attach photos to my above post.

My quads were screaming, but the screaming became normal as the screaming became constant so I didn't really notice the screaming until I stopped running after 7 miles. In the field. After work. In the glorious evening sunshine. Tomorrow's 2 hour steady run will be interesting.

Actual: 7 field miles with screaming quads

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

DD, that sounded like so much fun! Hmmm, being thrown over a wall and being caught the other side by fine strong men.... Brilliant! 😉
    I think a lot of us would have been looking at waaaaaaayyyy more burpees if we had tried.
    Hope the quads aren't screaming for too long. Can't believe you powered thru 7miles the next day. Now THAT is dedication to the cause. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I have about 10 pages to catch up on here.... if i start now I'm gonna be late for work. I'm looking forward to sprouting roots when i sit down with it later :):)

Tuesday, August 27th, 2013

Run plan: 2 hours steady

Due to the battered nature of my quads (not to mention the bumps, bruises, scrapes and cuts on my shins, knees, hands, arms and shoulders), I had been given the green light by the man with the plan to postpone today's session until tomorrow to give my body an additional day of rest. Thank you coach!!! :D But, I had mentally prepared myself days ago to get this session done this evening, and I convinced myself that the quads weren't that bad, especially once I'd get them warmed up....so....off I went, skipping like a school girl to get this session done this evening. No tinkering with the plan is my motto. I am a Spartan, whatever that means.

Okay...had to use some serious tunes tonight to distract me from all the bad temptations - we had Ne Yo, Pittbull, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Natasha Bedingfield, Rihanna, and Maroon 5 to start with....then came Volbeat, Foo Fighters, JJ Grey and Mofro, Saving Abel, John Mellencamp, The Boss, Gogol Bordello, Audioslave, STP, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd, to name a few. I knew this run was going to be tough, and I knew I was going to have to pull out the big guns to get the job done.

Basically, prior to blasting off I had decided to allow myself some slack and had mentally agreed that if I could only go at an 8:20 to 8:30 pace that that was acceptable since steady means MP plus 20 to 30 seconds and I would be perfectly in line with my sub 3:30 marathon goal. As a reference point, however, my other steady state runs have come in right at 8 min/mile avg pace, if my memory is correct....so obviously I secretly hoped to be closer to 8 min/mile than 8:30 min/mile. Obviously. :rolleyes:

The run....it was tough alright, but it wasn't horrible. The first mile was yucky as the legs were protesting a bit, but I surprised myself on the second mile when the legs were starting to get with the program and were keeping a respectable pace. The next 7 miles were pretty good, other than any downhills that were just brutal on my poor quads. I started to fade just a bit at mile 9, plus I needed a potty break, so I stopped to use the bathroom on the Greenway only to walk in on a man...who I know. :eek::o Good god, lock the door!!! Jeez....thankfully he was all zipped up and washing his hands, but it gave me such a startle that I let out a little scream when I saw him standing there. Any way...I did my thing, downed 2 shot bloks to pick me up, and had a swig of water and gatorade...then off I went again. The next 4 miles felt pretty good but I had to keep thinking about my arms and form, and I kept telling myself to relax. I also wondered if there is a running equivalent to a masher on the bike? I wondered if I am faster/stronger if I can push harder with my legs but have them go at a slower turnover? :confused: I transitioned to my cool down after 13 miles, and headed home on that dangerous piece of highway with its nasty hill and undesirable gully.

Paces:
    8:18, 8:05, 7:45, 7:50, 7:47, 7:46, 7:45, 7:43, 7:50, 7:47, 7:44, 7:44, 7:35
    Cool down: 9:08, 9:07

Actual: 15 miles in 2:00:04 for an average pace of 8:00 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Masher or spinner, you get the job done in style regardless. Excellent run. I wonder if you are the leader of the 3:30 bus or will we all see smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

3.30 is starting to look like a very soft target (and tbh has done for a while :))

griffin100 wrote: »
    3.30 is starting to look like a very soft target (and tbh has done for a while :))

Oh no you don't. As history has proven, my pattern is to train faster than I can perform in a race...so, let me just get my sub 3:30 before I start getting all silly with grander thoughts. (not that I'm not secretly having grander thoughts....;)) I've a half marathon in a few weeks, so, while I am a bit worried about the elevation profile of that race (I've seen two profiles - one said a 900+ elevation gain :eek:, the other said 600+ elevation gain :eek:), I am hoping this race will be a fair reflection of where I am at that time. But thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

Wednesday, August 28th, 2013

A very eeeee-zz, e-z, e-z, e-z field run after work to shake out the legs. Considering what they've been through recently, they are in pretty decent shape. :) Ten times around the field, which included 3 or 4 stops to pet the little white kitty that sometimes takes a stroll in our field, and I was done. Not much else to report on this one. Tomorrow is another quality session. And then another quality session at the weekend. 60 miles is the target for the week. No worries. ;):)

Actual: 7 easy peasy lemon squeezy field miles

Thursday, August 29th, 2013

Run plan: 2 mile warm up, 3 x (2 miles @ HMP w/2 min recovery), 2 mile cool down

Holy MACK-e-rel!! This session sucked. Sweetmotherofjesus....this was tough. Within 50 paces into this run I knew this was going to be pure misery - I guess the Spartan race and not taking that extra day off that my man with the plan suggested I take finally caught up with me. I felt sluggish, heavy, fat, and unworthy. Oh, and I was sweating like a pig due to the awful humidity. Blech. Barf. I had made up my mind to target a 7:15 pace for this session. I knew the pace was a little hot and a little unrealistic for me in a true race situation, but I had decided to be consistant with my training paces, and because I have been doing 8 min/mile steady runs, then my HMP should be around 7:15. So there you go. Commitment made. :o

I won't dwell on what I've already stated about how horrid this run was, because it was horrid - I was huffing and puffing from the very first HMP set, had to walk during the 2 minute recoveries, and had to do some serious negotiating in my mind when with only 1 mile to go in the third and final HMP set my tummy was giving me serious notice that it was not in a good place. In fact, I had to do lots of negotiations just to get this done....and I kept telling myself over and over again, "I don't have to enjoy it, I just have to do it....I don't have to enjoy it, I just have to do it....I don't have to enjoy it, I just have to do it....." I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy it, but I did do it. I fell just short of my target HMP, but for how I felt and how deep I had to dig I'm happy enough to have come as close as I came. Two easy days ahead of me, and that is the best news ever. Whew! :)

HMP paces:
    1st 2 mile set - 7:19 min/mile
    2nd 2 mile set - 7:16 min/mile
    3rd 2 mile set - 7:17 min/mile

Actual: 10.5 miles in 1:27:06 for an average pace of 8:18 min/mile

• Advertisement

Friday, August 30th, 2013

Very busy day......guests coming for the weekend (very special guests :))....so this was a very quick 7 laps around the field in between a hair appointment and dusk. All is well in the land of Spartan legs. Whoop whoop. !!

Actual: 4.9 miles easy in the field

Saturday, August 31st, 2013

Our very own DukeOfDromada and his lovely wife wildrhubarb have graced my presence for the weekend. :D Today was an assortment of activity - a nice bike ride on Skyline Drive followed by an even nicer hike. Then, the Duke and I hit the field for an easy 6 lap spin in the grass (he was a bit surprised at the drag of grass) where we were probably going a little too fast at times and talking up a storm. All good in the hood. :)

Actual: 15.4 mile bike, 3.7 mile hike, 4.2 mile field run

Sunday, September 1st, 2013

Plan: 2 mile warmup, 3 x (2k @ 5K pace, 5 minute recovery), 2 mile cool down

Off to the Greenway with the Duke as my sidekick for this one. All I can say is it was hot, humid and this session was very tough. This whole week has been tough, actually - the Spartan race took a lot out of me, this was the third quality session of the week, and the mileage is up a bit too - so I guess the fact that I had thoughts many times about slowing down or wishing this to be over is slightly understandable.

Not having a respectable 5k time, I decided to use my fairly recent 10k pace as my 5k pace today. (Ok, so I could have taken my 10k pace and then done some fancy calculations to determine what my projected 5k pace is based on that 10k pace, but I didn't.....because I figured I'd be lucky to hit my 10k pace based on how I was feeling, and also due to the heat and humidity.) So, my target pace for today was 7 min/mile.....and the Duke was happy enough with that as well.

Well, speaking of the Duke....because he is suspicious of the accuracy of the almighty Garmin, he keeps track of his paces the old fashioned way - he uses posted distance markers on the course and does a bit of math in his head. :eek: Lucky for him, the Greenway has .1 mile markers on most of the Greenway - not all, but most - so, while I was being comparatively lazy and relying on my Garmin to feed me the plan and the paces, he was busy adding and subtracting and seeing to it that we hit the .1 mile markers every 42 seconds. :eek: And we were doing a pretty darned good job staying bang on target. <pats self on the back> But here's where the controversy comes in: per his calculations (assuming the .1 mile markers have been accurately placed, and also keeping in mind that he could not track the entire 2k mathematically due to some marker missing), we pretty much did each interval at a 7 min/mile pace BUT my Garmin recorded the paces to be faster than that. I have always felt that my recorded Garmin paces are slightly faster than reality, but by how much?? Well, the Duke estimates the Garmin margin of error to be ~2%, or approximately 8.4 seconds at 7 min/mile....and, if so, that would mean that every stated pace I've ever hit has been stated too fast by my Garmin by 2% (8 to 9) seconds/mile....and I would then assume that all Garmins have this same potential margin of error. Ugh. Oh well. I guess this is just one more reason my training paces seem faster than they should be. And, if this 2% margin of error is true and if I rely on my Garmin to guide me in the marathon, then I would be 4 minutes and 12 seconds slower in reality over the 26.2 miles in my pursuit of my sub 3:30 marathon. :(

2k paces as recorded by my Garmin (keeping in mind the Duke calculated we were pretty much hitting 7 min/mile paces):
    6:53, 6:44, 6:46

Actual: 8.69 miles in 1:12:17 for an average pace of 8:19 min/mile

Followed up the run with a 7 mile kayak/canoe down the Shenandoah River. I suspect my arms are going to be a bit sore tomorrow.

I missed my target mileage of 60 miles for the week by 2.x miles...but the Duke convinced me to "let it go" so I am not going to worry about it. Not. Going. To. Worry. About. It. <tries to convince self....;)>

Monday, September 2nd, 2013

Bike

Today was a holiday here in the states, so a bike ride (2nd one in 3 days!!!!) with out of town guests DukeOfDromada and his lovely wife the wildrhubarb was on the docket for this morning (which morphed into this afternoon due to the length of time it took us to knock this out due to scenic stops, crazy climbing, and such). :D Up to Skyline Drive it was, but this time we went south instead of north (I've never gone south on Skyline Drive on my bike before....wow... :eek:) - started at Panorama and ended up at Big Meadows before we turned around to head back home. 20 miles out and 20 miles back. And speaking of backs, I got to know the Duke's back very well. :D For other than the occasional time the Duke got a wild hair up his arse and took off like a bat out of hell, he was the perfect gentleman and allowed me the pleasure of riding in his slipstream. We had one near fatality, however, as we were exiting an overlook....the Duke was slowing to check on traffic and I was right behind him, and when he either slowed way, way down or stopped (I can't remember which), I ended up falling over on my bike clipped in. :o Hate that!! At least I didn't take him out with me. Skinned my knee, but the bike is fine. Whew!!

Nice ride....all up or down - not really any flat stretches to speak of. 4300+ feet of climbing over 40 miles - talk about forcing me to try and get over my fear of the downhill :eek:...not to mention forcing me to work in my small ring on the uphill :eek: - no mashing today!! I think if I ever want to be a serious cyclist I'll need to do more of this kind of ride.

Actual bike: 40 miles of spinning uphill and white knuckling downhill
    ~~~~~~~

A nice and easy field run in the evening light to shake out the legs from the quad busting climbing on the bike. I felt pretty good, but I'm fretting about the Garmin margin of error crap. So....this means all of my paces I've ever posted on this log from my Garmin are probably 8 to 10 seconds/mile faster than reality. In other words, I am 8 to 10 seconds/mile slower than I appear to be per my Garmin and my posts. Crap. Oh well. Must. Work. Harder.

Actual: 4.2 easy miles in the field while I fretted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hopefully catch up with you in DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Monday, September 2nd, 2013

A nice and easy field run in the evening light to shake out the legs from the quad busting climbing on the bike. I felt pretty good, but I'm fretting about the Garmin margin of error crap. So....this means all of my paces I've ever posted on this log from my Garmin are probably 8 to 10 seconds/mile faster than reality. In other words, I am 8 to 10 seconds/mile slower than I appear to be per my Garmin and my posts. Crap. Oh well. Must. Work. Harder.

I wouldn't worry about it, your results speak louder than your Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On the Garmin thing, you can pretty much always expect a margin of error up to +-5%. That doesn't mean that you accumulate error and it compounds into a super-error. What it means is that at the end of a marathon, you can reasonably expect the distance (and as a consequence the pace) to be out by a factor up to to the watches' margin for error. This can be short by 5%, long by 5%, or exactly right.

GPS is not the only contributor to a difference in expected distance versus watch distance. Poor racing line (affects most people), moving from side to side (water stations, shade, posing for pictures with Disney characters!), congestion/moving around other runners, tall buildings/obscured view of satellites (running underneath roads/bridges in Chicago/New York) all contribute towards inconsistency between the recorded distance and the expected length of the course. This is also true of your run with the Duke. Unless you know exactly how the route is measured (and follow that line exactly), there is already a divergence between your actual pace, your Garmin pace, and the Duke's calculated pace. If the markers are accurate though and the Duke's maths are good, then the Duke's data would be the most accurate representation of your run.

The only sure-fire way to accurately establish your progress against your target (on a course where you know the mile markers to be accurate) is to know in advance what your splits should be at each one of those markers, and check those against a clock/stopwatch, or to follow someone (like a a reliable pacer) who is doing exactly this. In reality, if your goal was a 2:59:59 marathon (6:52/mile), during a pmp run on your Garmin, you should be aiming to hit ~6:48/mile. This isn't just to counter-balance the GPS margin for error, but also for poor racing line, congestion, shoe-laces, dropped gels and the multitude of other things that happen during a marathon. When you are aiming for a specific time goal, it really helps to have some form of training cushion. The running forum is littered with the dead bodies of runners who, at some point, missed out on sub-3 by mere seconds (myself included). When you do beat that particular time goal, you tend to do it by a comfortable margin (2 - 5 minutes), having learned from previous heart-breaking experience.

Your field is a very good example: Given that it is a fixed distance, with little or no opportunity for congestion (apart from kittens, frogs, field mice and various other animal pit-stops!), you could mark out known fixed distances and check your pace against them (which is essentially what most people do on a track).

If your watch training pace currently matches exactly to your target pace, don't despair. The boost you get from race day adrenaline, having water every few miles, cheering adoring fans and fellow brothers and sisters-in-arms will more than make up for those few seconds per mile.

<Dory reading Krusty's post the first time around:>
    On the Garmin thing, you can pretty much always expect a margin of error up to +-5%. Blah, blah, blah.......blah, blah......blah, blah, blah. blah....

Blah, blah, blah, blah......blah, blah....

:eek:
    :eek::eek::eek:

OMG!! 5%????

Ahhhh....but after doing the calculations in my head and scaring the sh*t out of myself, I calmed myself down <breathe...in, out...in, out....;) > and I read your post again. :o Whew. Okay...so you've organized all your thoughts very well and it's quite logical indeed. The Duke is quite a precision oriented fellow and his line was dead on the distance marker path, so there's little to no variation there. I would imagine the markers are fairly accurately spaced as well, but there were some gaps in the markers due to paving and also due to the path splitting off, so not every tenth of a mile was accounted for mathematically by the Duke. Also, unless he was using a watch with tenths and hundreths of seconds, there could be a slight bit of accumulated error there as well. (Spitting hairs, aren't I?? ;)) Bottom line is this...I do believe the Duke's calculations more accurately reflect the pace of that particular run, but I also believe that the actual pace was just ever so slightly faster than 7 min/mile. Why? Because neither method is without some error, and because 6:5x sounds SO much better than 7!! :D

Oh, and thanks, Krusty, for such a detailed/humorous/enlightening explanation. :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013

Work was absolute nuts today. !!!! It just never pays to take a day off because we always pay for it....and being nutty-busy at work meant that I could not do my easy run over lunch, which then meant that I could not do my planned swim this evening. I haven't done a proper swim in 2 weeks. :eek: I've gotten in my 87 degree pool and splashed around a bit, but no proper swim in 2 friggin' weeks. :eek: :(

But, the evening was drop-dead gorgeous, so this run was a delight to do. Well, a delight other than the fact that the field hay is being cut and baled and that always makes me sad because I worry about all the little critters who find protection and enjoyment in the hay. <pout> On a positive note, however, the hay cutting and baling does result in uber cool and uber fun hay bales....and that means some serious hay bale jumping may be on the list of awesome things to do in the next week. :D

The run...the gorgeous evening field run....9 times around at a heavenly delightful pace. The legs felt good on this one. Two big/long sessions this week.....so I better be eating my Wheaties!!!

Actual: 6.3 heavenly evening field miles

Advertisement