Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Tuesday, September 17th, 2013

Run plan: easy

I woke up this morning with the the half marathon knocking around in the legs. Ugh. :( I really thought yesterday that I had escaped any residual effects from the race, but, ahhhh, that was not to be. Oh well, it wasn't bad soreness, just disappointing soreness in the sense that it was a reminder that I am a mere mortal with mere mortal aches and pains. Dammit. :mad:

So, out to the field for this post-work trot. Oh, lovely jubbly it was....nice and easy breezy in the evening air. One of the absolute best things I have ever done with regard to running was to force myself to go Garmin-free on these easy runs. The freedom of running purely by feel is liberating, and it allows me to honestly and purely run easy. Eight times around the field.....two times stopping to give some love to the white cat who's been boldly hunting in the field...and one lap of opening up the legs while the sun was setting behind me so I was running towards my very elongated shadow that I could never catch. :confused:;) I noticed at about the halfway point the legs were feeling oh-so much better...in fact, they felt downright bouncy and perky. Whoop whoop....all good in the hood. :):D

Actual: 5.6 field miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Well done on the race Dory, not long until Dublin keep up the great work you are flying it

Wednesday, September 18th, 2013

Plan: easy

Just an easy trot in the field after work. It was a bit chilly starting out in my shorts and t-shirt, but I warmed up after a lap or two and was quite comfortable for the duration of the run. The sun is setting much too early these days, and I have to say I don't care for it one bit. Darkness by 7:45 is just too early when you work all day, but what's a girl to do? Legs felt good for this (I think any/all residual race effects have come and gone :)), and I was so relaxed a few times that I honestly think I could have fallen asleep while running. Seriously. Not kidding.

Actual: 4.9 easy field miles

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Plan: Alternations....also known as 2 mile warm up, 3 x (1 mile MP - 10 secs, 1 mile MP + 20 secs), 2 mile cool down

Important tidbits -
    Did this immediately after work in the evening sunshine.
    Legs felt heavy early on but got with the program by mile 3.
    It worked out that the first two MP - 10 seconds sets were probably at a net decline. :o
    I was high five-ed by a little girl, asked if I was running marathons by an older gentleman, and bowed at by two ladies I see all the time on the Greenway. I am not worthy.....
    Was instructed to keep paces between 7:30ish and 7:50ish min/mile for the alternations...which, after I employed my fancy math table and converted to Garmin terms to account for inherent errors :rolleyes:, I determined the paces should be between 7:20ish and 7:40ish min/mile....but were actually a bit faster than that due to Dory-stubbornness and inability to let go of something. Yay me! :(:)

Alternating miles -
    7:08, 7:28, 7:10, 7:26, 7:05, 7:14

Actual: 10 miles in 1:19:10 for an average pace of 7:55 min/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I reckon had I said 6.30 and 6.50 per mile paces you would have went low sixes just to rebel :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote:
    Any way….ugh….3:15…..3:00????!!!! If only I were about 20 years younger……
    Those numbers I threw out were indeed pretty crazy. But every day, those numbers are sounding a little less crazy.... Well done in the half... You rock!

ecoli wrote: »
    I reckon had I said 6.30 and 6.50 per mile paces you would have went low sixes just to rebel :p

I would have converted real paces to Garmin error paces then added in some of my overachieving character and sprinkled it with a little criticism and then tried to squeeze in a bit of a pace buffer "just in case" :rolleyes:...and, yep...by golly I would have been 100% sure you had asked me to go 6 - 6:20 min/mile. ;)
    Those numbers I threw out were indeed pretty crazy. But every day, those numbers are sounding a little less crazy.... Well done in the half... You rock!

:) Well, you are a smoldering-bouldering running fool, so thanks. :)

Friday, September 20th, 2013

With the threat of rain all day tomorrow and because I feel like I'm coming down with a cold :(, I decided to get in a few extra miles tonight to relieve having to do much in the way of running in the soggy wet weather tomorrow. Regarding the feeling I'm coming down with a cold, I can't get enough sleep at the moment, my head feels like it's going to explode every time I bend over, my nose is a bit runny, and I've been doing some sneezing. Boo hiss. I'm fighting this with extra sleep, extra orange juice, and avoiding running in chilly rain.

Soooo....tonight's run was after work and on Main Street in its entirety. First I trotted east, then I trotted west. I left the Garmin at home because this was an easy run, and I pretty much kept the pace and effort easy until I hit the mile long, gut wrenching hill on mile 7 and my killer hill loving instincts kicked in and I embraced the climb by muscling my way to the top. Mile 8 was a lovely downhill on tired legs, so I tried to keep it relaxed (it's amazing to me how hard it is to go downhill when your legs are pooped!) and I cruised down to the bottom of the hill and into a local restaurant where my chicken salad sandwich (with grapes and nuts) and pasta salad were awaiting my arrival. Dinner time, baby! :D

Between of the extra miles put in tonight AND all the hills of Main Street I faced, I may have overdone this run a bit in light of the fact that I had a quality session last night that the legs were still feeling. I had given the legs their last rites by the time I reached the restaurant ;) and I was ready for this run to be over about 2 miles before it was in fact over. Ugh. I'm anticipating tomorrow's easy run will probably be more of a recovery run.

Actual: ~8 miles on the streets of town

Saturday, September 21st, 2013

I woke up this morning with my right knee in a bit of pain. I'm sure it had to do with running 8 miles on the street last night when I really should have only done 5 or 6 on grass. Oh well. I was trying to bank a few miles to take the pressure off today, which in the end I'm glad I did because it rained most of the day and I really wanted a little extra time today to do two things: clean out/toss out items in the garage that have been boxed up for a few years just waiting for me to go through them, and take a nap. Both boxes ticked and I am a happy camper tonight. :)

I did this easy run mid-morning between clouds and rain, and between the cool breeze that was blowing and the very, very slow recovery pace I was plodding at, I barely broke a sweat on this one. I had taken two Advil about an hour before I started the run, and the knee seems back to normal now. Thank goodness as I was starting to think I was already suffering from taper-crazies....and I'm not even into my taper!!!!

Actual: 3.5 field miles at a lovely recovery pace.

Sunday, September 22nd, 2013

Plan: 3 hours at a pace slightly slower than easy

Gorgeous, gorgeous morning here....I was so thankful that today was my 3 hour run day and not yesterday with the clouds and rain. One of the goals for today's run was to practice taking in energy and hydration and to figure out a few things in preparation for DCM. Basically, I'd like to add an energy element to my shot bloks since I'm not convinced the bloks alone provide me with enough "stuff" to see me through 26.2 miles, and that addition I am thinking of is the gels Oryx has sent me a few times. After consulting my man with the plan, it was decided that I'd take my first European high powered Oryx gel after an hour, then a set of bloks 30 minutes later, then another gel 30 minutes after that, and then maybe another set of bloks 30 minutes after the gel. I've used these gels before, but it's been a while and never in this manner....so I really need to see how my body/tummy will react to them before I commit to using them at DCM. I was also to carry a 10 oz. bottle of water and a 10 oz. bottle of Gatorade.

I decided to do my hilly Lake Arrowhead loop to start with as this gets in some very nice hill work with varying grades of slope and constant climbing. I started out nice and slow while really enjoying this glorious morning and the rays of sunshine that were piercing through the trees in the wooded sections with the green canopy overhead. What great atmosphere this first hour was, and boy how it helped make the climbing so much easier.
    Miles 1 through 7 - 8:46, 8:40, 8:20, 8:31, 8:24, 8:36, 8:36

The next hour contained some ups and downs, but the net was an elevation loss. I took my first Oryx gel on mile 8, and I made sure I took in fluids before and after taking the gel as I really want these gels to work. I believe I got a bit of a "kick" from the gel as mile 10 contained some solid hills that were no trouble to me as indicated in my pace. I was definitely feeling strong on most of these miles and had to hold myself back a bit as it was my intention to keep the pace between 8:15 and 8:30 for this section. :o Went a little faster than intended for some of these miles, but I listened to my body and kept the effort where it was comfortable, and the paces pretty much reflect the ups and downs of the course. I took three shot bloks on mile 12.
    Miles 8 through 14 - 8:06, 8:17, 8:00, 8:05, 8:15, 8:21, 8:26

I found myself on the flat Greenway for the last hour.....and it never ceases to amaze me how much easier and faster it is to run on flat terrain. I made the decision to go ahead and up the pace guilt-free as long as the effort remained easy....and I also allowed myself to amp it up for the final two miles just to see what I had left. The last two miles felt great, which is a huge reminder to me how important it is to pace smart early on to avoid the slow and certain death that would cheat seeing the run through in style. Oh, and I took my second Oryx gel on mile 16. This second one had caffeine in it. :D
    Miles 15 through 22 - 8:05, 7:58, 8:05, 7:52, 8:05, 8:01, 7:51, 7:26

Other than some mild belching :o, the tummy felt fine with the gels. Good run. Not much more to add. :)

Actual: 22 miles in 3:01:03 for an average pace of 8:14 min/mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^That's your best training run yet on this log. It's gotta be great for the confidence, to finish the last third as stonkingly as you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

^^^^^ what he said :)

You need to get this 3.30 monkey off your back so can concentrate on a sub 3.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    ^That's your best training run yet on this log. It's gotta be great for the confidence, to finish the last third as stonkingly as you did.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    ^^^^^ what he said :)

You need to get this 3.30 monkey off your back so can concentrate on a sub 3.

Boys, boys, boys. :) Thanks....and yes, a good run with the right mix of early pacing and Oryx's dynamo gels....but I am also mindful that I did the hard stuff first and the easy stuff last. Still, I'm happy. Hopefully this bodes well.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Brrrrr!!! Where did summer go?? Jeez-o-peez, I was way underdressed when I started this run, and I just can't stand being cold so I hoofed it back into the house and threw on a long sleeved shirt. Could have used some gloves too as my hands were numb when I finished. I haven't even dug out my jeans yet - still wearing shorts - but looks like my shorts wearing days are numbered. :(

The run was a simple 9 times around the field taking it super easy. Five weeks until DCM. Lots swirling in my head. Like....how the hell am I going to paste together 26 consecutive miles at a 7:37 min/mile pace?? BeepBeep better have his sh*t together. ;)

Actual: 6.3 r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w field miles in the chilly evening air

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Let me know if you want me to send more of the hard stuff.

Oryx wrote: »

Oh wow...if you do, you'll be greatly rewarded. :)

(thanks!)

No problem. Leave it with me. :)

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013

Another spectacular day here in the valley, and since I have not treated myself to a sneaky lunchtime run in weeks, I did just that today....treated myself to a sneaky lunchtime run. :D Six very gentle spins around the field, and the noon-deed was done.

Actual: 4.2 lunchtime field miles

Sometimes it's just a tastefully done photograph of the backside of an elite athlete wearing nothing more than a hoodie and whose perfectly formed curves and contours are shaped and highlighted by strategically placed lighting that reminds one that a beautiful body truly is delicious art. And it's inspiring. Thus, with that image in mind, I went bouncing out to the field after work and did another six very happy laps in the field. :)

Actual: 4.2 artful field miles

With that image still very much in my mind, I decided it was time to get back into the habit of doing some strength and flexibility. So....some core work and stretching was done. Must do more of this!!!! !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Sometimes it's just a tastefully done photograph of the backside of an elite athlete wearing nothing more than a hoodie and whose perfectly formed curves and contours are shaped and highlighted by strategically placed lighting that reminds one that a beautiful body truly is delicious art. And it's inspiring. Thus, with that image in mind, I went bouncing out to the field after work and did another six very happy laps in the field. :)

And are you going to Share? ;)

Theres all kinds of talk around these parts about those perfectly formed parts, but where is it to be found?

• Advertisement

Emer911 wrote: »
    And are you going to Share? ;)

Ah now, I'm sure Krusty owns a hoodie. ;)

Wednesday, September 25th, 2013

Run plan: 2 mile warmup, 6 x (1 mile @ 10k pace, 3 min recovery), 2 mile cool down

I had serious doubts about this run from the get go. I just wasn't feeling it and actually considered turning around during the first mile or so and trying again in the morning...but....I kept going. Yay me! And 10k pace? Blech. 10k is one of those horrible distances that is somewhere between a 5k and a HM...sort of like the middle child of running distances. Having run a 10k not that long ago, I knew my pace should be around 7 min/mile...so there you go.....7 min/mile was my target for tonight.

The first 10k mile began on an uphill but then morphed into a downhill - I worked my butt off to stay on target. (Not that I even knew I was on target since my watch was showing "live pace", which meant it was all over the place and I hadn't a clue where I was pace-wise!)
    The second 10k mile felt a little better and I kept telling myself "no heroics". There was one pretty good hill on this section. And wind.
    The third 10k mile...who knows??? It was in the center of town with some ups and downs, but mainly sidewalks and people and stoplights, so maybe that's why this mile was the slowest.
    The next three 10k miles were done on the Greenway, so it was flat and no traffic lights or intersections, and that certainly contributed to the speed. I definitely opened things up on the final mile, and that mile actually felt the best of the six.

I am VERY glad this session is history because sweet jesus it was tough, and now my legs are pooped....HOWEVER, the legs and I are tickled pink that the next 3 days are easy breezy running....in the soft, grassy field. :DYay coach!

10k mile paces:
    7:00, 7:00, 7:07, 6:51, 6:56, 6:46

Actual: 11.8 miles in 1:38:46 for an average pace of 8:22 min/mile

Thursday, September 26th, 2013

Run plan: easy :D

I did this run sneaky lunchtime style and wooo-wieee the legs were toast when I started this snail's pace trot. :( Good grief, I'm guessing it's where I am right now, physically spent after almost 20 weeks of training and into my second week in a row of 60 mpw and less than 24 hours after a hard, quality session and 4 days after more miles than I should have probably done :o a lot of miles on a Sunday. BUT, on a positive note, after rounding the field six times in the glorious sunshine, I can honestly say the legs started to come alive and feel the joy once again. The legs might still be toast, but they're more like buttery toast now. (that sounded so much better in my head when I was running!)

Actual: 4.2 sunshiny buttery-goodness field miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I read this and thought it sounded like something you might be capable of..:)

http://balls.ie/athletics/marathon-wrong-turn-accidental-win/

Izoard wrote: »
    I read this and thought it sounded like something you might be capable of..:)

http://balls.ie/athletics/marathon-wrong-turn-accidental-win/

:) And I'd hope to be wearing Oryx's fur bikini!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

You have it now?

That's a relief, I'd hate to see it go to waste...!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If you're running 7:19 pace you're on your own honey, but if you're wearing the bikini I'll pace you to the 25 mile mark and then wait for the others ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    Izoard wrote: »
    You have it now?

That's a relief, I'd hate to see it go to waste...!

;):D
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    If you're running 7:19 pace you're on your own honey, but if you're wearing the bikini I'll pace you to the 25 mile mark and then wait for the others ;)

Which makes me wonder, darling, what I'd have to wear to have you pace me to the 26 mile mark. ;)

Friday, September 27th, 2013

Day 2 of three easy days in a row, and I feel like I've been given a reward for working hard or something. :) Tonight's run was done field style (surprise! :rolleyes:) and it felt pretty good. Legs are still feeling all the mileage in them, but it's not bad so I let them (the legs) go a few times then pulled them back. I let the body dictate the easy. Tomorrow is day 3 of easy....then a big run on Sunday. Gonna get Oryx's rocket fuel gels out for the big run.

Actual: 6.3 body dictated field miles

In my quest to try and dabble in a little core and elasticity work, I stretched this less than Gumby body post-run while Norris the cat shared my yoga mat and flaunted his flexibility right in front of me. Shameless. Then he tried to use me like a jungle gym while I did some core work. I'm not sure my yoga mat is big enough for the both of us. ;):)

• Advertisement

Saturday, September 28th, 2013

Some things take 7 days to create, happy legs only take 3. Three days of easy and the legs are back feeling the joy and bouncing in the field all happy-go-lucky again. Whoop whoop.

Actual run: 6.3 bouncy, happy field miles

Skipped on into the house and down to the basement for a little stretching and core work. My flexibility has gone way back - it's shocking how much reach I have lost by not taking the time, so I will try and take the time a few times a week and see what happens.

Swim

The pool is still open but has been tragically neglected - I just haven't really had the time, plus the focus for the last month or so has been all about running. However, tonight I had some time and some desire so I slipped into the speedo, dove into the pool, and did a nice and easy swim while the heater chugged its little heart out. :)

Actual swim: 2,000 yards in the heated pool in the evening light

Advertisement