Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

BTH wrote: »
    Don't worry KG, its only 200 Yards. So its only 183metres in 2:33. Sure thats only 1:23 pace per 100m.

Oh...

:eek:

Jesus. I'm in awe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wednesday, July 24th, 2013

Run plan: 2 miles warmup, 10 x (75 seconds on/off), 2 miles cool down

Okay. The screwy Garmin rounding-my-pace/mile-when-I-do-short-distances mystery has been solved. This little puzzle was solved when I finally loaded my Garmin data on my computer...and low and behold, when I retrieved my data from my computer to have a look-see, whaddayaknow....there the non-rounded data was! Apparently the data that appears on the watch itself is not exactly the same as what is displayed on the computer. And I wonder just how many of you gentle readers knew this all along and didn't bother to tell me. Hmmm. I imagine you are the same people who would not tell a friend if they had something disgusting hanging from their nose. Friends want to know when they have something disgusting hanging from their nose.

Did this session down at the track over lunch. Two miles nice and easy to loosen up the legs and body...then it was time to get down to business. Sprinting is not my favorite gig. Sprinting makes me nauseous. Sprinting makes me breathe hard. Sprinting makes me employ my compartmentalizing skills. Sprinting make me cuss my coach. But, I think sprinting has made me faster...so, I can live with all the other things sprinting makes me do. This session was pretty manageable (considering how hard it was) until I got to the last 3 intervals, at which time I was starting to fade and was definitely hating life at that moment...and I wondered then if last night's swim session was rearing its ugly head.

75 seconds "on" paces -
    5:43, 5:31, 5:23, 5:33, 5:35
    5:30, 5:22, 5:30, 5:32, 5;30

Actual: 7.39 miles, including 2 miles warmup, intervals, 2 miles cool down

I was curious today if I am doing these little short and sharp gems any faster, so I looked up the other 3 similar sessions I've done in this training cycle. While it is not exactly accurate to compare these sessions because of the varying distances, locations, and weather...I compared them any way...and here is the comparative summary as an average pace/mile of the "on" intervals:

May 25 - 12 x (1 min on/off), done on the flat Greenway - 6:04 avg pace/mile
    June 5 - 7 x (1:30 on, 2:00 off), done on the track - 5:47 avg pace/mile
    July 5 - 14 x (1 min on/off), done in the slow/grassy field - 6:06 avg pace/mile
    July 24 - 10 x (1:15 on/off), done on the track - 5:31 avg pace/mile
    ~~~~~~~

Bonus run

I did this second run tonight because: a) the field looked too inviting to ignore this evening, b) I will be short on time tomorrow and my target run mileage is 50 miles this week, and c) multiple daily runs seem to be all the rage for some very successful and popular runners (hello Krusty!).

This run actually felt really good. I could feel the fatigue of the earlier session in the legs, but it was okay. It's much cooler this evening, so it made this run quite enjoyable.

Actual: ~4.2 lovely evening field miles
    ~~~~~~~

Swim

I wore my Speedo on my run (with a pair of shorts), so it was a dash from the field to the splash of the pool. Whoop whoop! 2,000 wonderful yards to get the body back to where it longs to be. I got really, really hungry after the halfway point (thoughts of Nathan's hot dogs perhaps?? :D)...and almost had to stop at 1,400 yards because the pangs were quite distracting, but then I got to 1,600 yards, then 1,800 yards...and then it would have been a sin to stop when so close to the goal of 2,000 yards.

Actual: 2,000 yard swim

Thursday, July 25th, 2013

Run plan: easy

It is absolutely gorgeous outside!!! We are experiencing a respite from the heat today and it was pure joy to do this run field-style over lunch. :D

Actual: ~4.2 miles in the field under the sun with the breeze blowing, making life oh so grand!

Friday, July 26th, 2013

Plan: easy

This was a double dip into the field - a short, easy run under the sun at lunch...and then more of the same after work. It was another stellar day here in Virginia, so these two runs were a complete joy to do. I have not done too many of these double runs, but I am finding (to my absolute surprise) that the second run of the day feels remarkably good. :confused::) I'm not complaining, and I wonder if there is more/different benefit to putting in two short runs rather than one long-ish run in a single day. Legs/body feel great at the moment! :D

Actual: 2 x ~4.2 mile field runs (~8.4 miles, for those mathematically challenged peeps out there)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Hey DD, fantastic result in your 10k, podium finish is brilliant, well done.

You’re doing some savage training, though I hope your coach is screaming at you to slow down! Need to run slow to run fast ;)

• Advertisement

You’re doing some savage training, though I hope your coach is screaming at you to slow down! Need to run slow to run fast ;)

Perfect timing on this gentle reminder! Yes, coach has been reminding me to go s-l-o-w on the l-o-n-g runs....and, as luck would have it, I have a 2 hour and 20 minute run today that I am supposed to go at a pace slower than easy. All I've got to say is....just watch me go slow!

Saturday, July 27th, 2013

Run plan: 2 hours, 20 minutes at a pace slightly slower than easy

Well, the goal of this run was to stay disciplined and target a pace around 8:30 min/mile....and, also to get some good hill work in. Translation: it'd be a Lake Arrowhead loopity loop kind of day!! Yeehaw!

The weather was in my favor - 80ish degrees, cloudy, and spitting rain - a runner's dream. And, with my favorite fellas to keep me company, I set sail to the beat of Green Day....keeping things loosey goosey with the shoulders relaxed, arms acting as a pendulum with a bottle of water in each hand, and making this all about strength and endurance and not about speed. I will, however, apologize to anyone in earshot of my mighty fine rendition of Lady Cobra's contribution on Green Day's "Nightlife". Yeah, I belted it out like I meant it, and I even busted a few amazing moves while running, which may explain the slight drop in pace at that time. Note to self: dancing while running may be detrimental to the pace!

Overall, the run was really nice. I stopped for a quick potty break at mile 7...grabbed some additional water (I had sucked all of mine down) from a shopkeeper friend at mile 14....and stopped to check on a friend who had just crashed on her bike and was bleeding (but fine) at mile 15. I will say, though, my legs were starting to tire around mile 14 - I could feel the hills and the time in the thighs and was starting to look forward to this run being over. But it's now in the books, and I'm happy with my average pace. Paces listed below are pretty representative of the inclines and declines I faced.

8:55, 8:44, 8:31, 8:34, 8:34, 8:10, 8:07, 8:53
    8:36, 8:03, 8:00, 7:59, 8:08, 8:38, 8:22, 8:44, 5:59 (8:33)

Actual: 16.7 miles in 2:21:07 for an average pace of 8:27 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Boom! Planned run executed nicely. BTW, the challenge. You win. I'll hand you my agreed forfeit in Dublin :o. You are a machine!*

*albeit a damn fine one!

Sunday, July 28th, 2013

Lake Swim

Met up with 5 other tri peeps for a little early morning lake action; however, one of the gals refused to swim this morning because she had spied a snake in the lake yesterday. Well...um...yeah. There are snakes and snapping turtles and leg nibbling fish in them thar waters. I just assume if I keep moving about they will leave me alone.

So, the five of us decided to start at the pier and swim diagonally to the far corner of the lake a few times. What a nice swim. The lake was entirely empty other than us, so the peace and quiet were soothing to the soul and the tranquility was magical. I went a little further than I normally do, but I had the time while waiting for the others to finish up.

Actual: ~2,000 meters lake swim
    ~~~~~~~

Bike

Out of the lake and onto the bike...we lost one swimmer but picked up the non-swimmer for this. I hung with the fast guy for a while - in fact, he drafted off of me for the first few miles until he pulled up beside me and he wanted to chit chat about my bike and my technique. I had no idea what the hell he was asking me...something about do I have "standard" or something else kind of component, I think. :confused: But then I finally realized where he was heading with his hemming and hawing...so I interrupted him with, "I'm a masher." Relief came over his face as it was obvious he was struggling to get his constructive criticism out of his mouth. Yes, I'm a masher...and yes, I need to show all the rings some love.

I worked this ride pretty hard, and passed a few random cyclists along the way. Even had one fella try and hitch a ride with me....but baby, the ride ain't free so I shook him after about a half a mile. My speedometer computer thingy wasn't working, and this small crisis had me a bit distracted from time to time as I like to have a feel for my pace, but the issue seems to have resolved itself as it started working once I arrived home...of course!! :mad:. Post ride, my thighs are all warm and fuzzy - no doubt from the cumulative effect of yesterday's long run and today's hard ride. :)

Actual: 17.4 miles on the bike sprint course
    ~~~~~~~

After a quick and dirty computation and comparison of target mileage to actual mileage completed week-to-date, I realized I needed less than a mile to hit this week's target. Thank god, as my legs really were not interested in doing much more than lounging on the couch or by the pool at this point. So, I basically shuffled around the field two times. Seriously, it may not have even been fast enough to call it a shuffle. But it's done.

Actual: ~1.4 very slow field miles
    ~~~~~~~

Target run mileage for the week: 50 miles
    Actual run mileage for the week: 50.69 miles

Swim yardage for the week: 10,200 yards

Bike mileage for the week: 17.4 miles

Boom! Planned run executed nicely. BTW, the challenge. You win. I'll hand you my agreed forfeit in Dublin :o. You are a machine!*

*albeit a damn fine one!

You just treat me to that pizza you promised and your story about why you are a winner and we'll call it even! :)

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek:
    Shotgun!!! You closed your log!!! Oh good gravy....what are we to do now?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Credit where credit is due DD. You have some discipline! Maybe Kurt can take up the baton where I dropped it?! Pizza is a deal but you won fair and square and I'm one to keep my word. Forfeit due. Simple! You are due more credit than you know right now :D

Credit where credit is due DD. You have some discipline! Maybe Kurt can take up the baton where I dropped it?! Pizza is a deal but you won fair and square and I'm one to keep my word. Forfeit due. Simple! You are due more credit than you know right now :D

And you are a true gentleman with class and honor. I cannot wait to meet you in Dublin. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Shotgun!!! You closed your log!!! Oh good gravy....what are we to do now?? :(

+1, sorry to see the log closed, but (having chatted with you a few days back) I'm sure a new chapter will open soon. Sometimes a fresh slate is the best way to keep it interesting. Best of luck in whatever form it takes- have to say that your 1:36 in the 6k swim last week was one of the best performances of the year from this forum. My jaw literally fell open when I saw your time :eek::D

Monday, July 29th, 2013

Gorgeous, gorgeous sneaky lunchtime field run. The weather as of recent has been super shockingly mild for this time of year. I guess I won't complain as it really is a nice relief, but I sincerely hope the lake temperature doesn't drop much more than it has already as I hate swimming in cold water and the triathlon is less than 3 weeks away.

The run was fine....the legs still feel a bit of the weekend in them, but they are oh so much better than they were yesterday. I have a big session tomorrow night, so here's hoping they are back to feeling like a million bucks after a good night's sleep. :)

Actual: 4.2 gorgeous field miles
    ~~~~~~~

Swim

Very tired when I got home from work - actually could have gone immediately to bed, but instead I slipped into the Speedo and did a nice swim in water that was probably 10 degrees warmer than the air temperature....and it felt so nice. Nothing fancy or remarkable about this swim - it was just the usual unimaginative yet effective from a wind-me-down-and-reset-my-perspective splash.

Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

Run plan: 2 miles warm up, 4 x (2 miles @ MP w/3 minute recovery), 2 miles cool down

I vowed to be disciplined...I vowed to set a realistic MP target...I vowed to embrace that realistic MP target. And...well, I did okay....until the last 2 MP miles, that is.

In a nutshell....
    Did this after work....temp was ~80 degrees with very low humidity....first 2 sets of MP miles were on rolling hills, second 2 sets of MP miles were on the flat Greenway. My legs were not feeling the joy to begin with - they were still feeling the run/bike mileage from the weekend - but they did cooperate. I employed some good old fashioned arithmetic and sprinkled it with dreamy marathon goals and came up with an acceptable pace range of 7:30 to 8:00 min/mile, with my eye zeroed in on 7:30 to 7:45 min/mile.

Without beating this into the ground, basically each 2 mile set felt better and better and easier and easier. I love these sessions with a bit of recovery in between sets - it allows me to regroup, and I think it elevates the quality of the miles - at least so it seemed tonight as each 2 mile set was faster than the one before it. In fact, I was surprised how fast the last set was based on the percieved effort I was putting out. I know I went out of my MP zone on the last set, but it felt too good and I pretended to be practicing my last two miles of DCM to justify my lack of discipline. ;):D My subsequent cool down was miserably slow and my legs and right foot (I think I tied my shoelaces too tight!!!) were screaming at me, but a cool down is to bring the body down and shake out the session. Job done.

Things I saw tonight on this run: lots of really large people drinking oversized sodas...a father who left his 3 young boys unattended while he ran around the Greenway loop with his dog (idiot!!).....and a young guy who looked like he should have been in Urban Cowboy because of his cowboy hat, shades, wife beater t-shirt in the color gray, boots and accompanying swagger. Never a dull moment in the town of Luray!!! :)

2 mile set paces:
    7:40, 7:34, 7:27, 7:16

Actual: 13.0 miles in 1:45:19 for an average pace of 8:06 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

DD, I freakin love your log... :D

Good session there. Well done! :)

Just booked my flight to Dublin....12 weeks from tomorrow....so incredibly excited. :)

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

This was a dark and dreary field run in an old white t-shirt and shorts over lunch. Legs were definitely letting me know they've been through the wringer as of late for the first couple of miles, but by the time I hit 3 miles they were thinking about whistling Dixie again. Happy days.

Actual: 4.2 miles in the field sans sun
    ~~~~~~~

Swim

The extreme downpour we had nearly foiled my plan to swim this evening, but as luck would have it the rain had pretty much ceased by the time I was to swan dive into my own private aquatic Idaho. I had no interest in doing anything other than getting lost in my own little world as I ticked off 2,000 yards without interruption, however, there was just the right combination of air, pool and body temperatures clashing and mixing to breed stubborn fog on my goggles' interior...so...when it became apparent this fog was of the spit-immune variety, I caved and did these yards as 10 x 200 yards so I could wipe the fog away on a regular basis. Concentrated on my stroke. No speed tonight, just some moderate strength.

Thursday, August 1st, 2013

Is it really August 1st??!! :eek: Good grief time goes by so fast. The county fairs are all starting up and the triathlon is only two weeks away. :eek::eek: Where does it all go??

Any way....field run, again. But I like doing these little jewels. It's a very efficient use of my lunch and I never, ever, ever worry about my pace. I run by feel, and it is such a delight not having the Garmin racing me and challenging me and taunting me to shame. So far, I don't think these little runs have been detrimental to me in any way....and I think perhaps I am being kinder to the body by actually abiding by the plan to go easy while putting my serious energy and effort in the quality sessions. Having faith in the plan, I guess. I suppose the proof will be in the pudding come October 28th! :)

Actual: 4.2 hot and sticky field miles. Looks like summer is back!

• Advertisement

Event schedule for the rest of the year....

With the triathlon only two weeks away, so starts an assortment of events:

Luray Sprint Triathlon http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=2385 - Sunday, August 18th

Spartan Race http://www.spartanrace.com/midatlantic-obstacle-racing-super-spartan-virginia-2013.html - Sunday, August 25th

Hokie Half Marathon (at my alma mater!! Virginia Tech!!! finisher's medal will be uber cool!) http://www.hokiehalf.com/ - Sunday, September 15th

Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon (in the town where I grew up) http://www.wilsonbridgehalf.com/ - Sunday, October 6th (training run only!!)

Dublin City Marathon - Monday, October 28th (whoop whoop!!)

New York City Marathon - Sunday, November 3rd (I must be crazy!)

In the words of Elmer Fudd...."Th-th-th-th that's all, folks!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^ You read my mind, I was just about to start clucking about if you had races planned. Looks like a winning schedule!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

*counts on fingers*

two marathons within 6 days....

Do you know Hunnymonster????

Oryx wrote: »
    *counts on fingers*

two marathons within 6 days....

Do you know Hunnymonster????

I know....two marathons in 6 days. UGH! It's a bit insane, but NY will be my "fun" run. Even thinking about "dressing up" for it....but we'll see as I'm flying directly from Dublin to NY and won't have much time to get too creative.

Hunnymonster?? Nope. Can't say I know this person you speak of. However, I'm thinking I remember a post that shotgun wrote and he/she was referenced in. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I know....two marathons in 6 days. UGH! It's a bit insane, but NY will be my "fun" run. Even thinking about "dressing up" for it....but we'll see as I'm flying directly from Dublin to NY and won't have much time to get too creative.

Hunnymonster?? Nope. Can't say I know this person you speak of. However, I'm thinking I remember a post that shotgun wrote and he/she was referenced in. ??

How can you not know hunny?????

Oh those were the days when mods were mods :)

tunney wrote: »
    How can you not know hunny?????

Oh those were the days when mods were mods :)

Oh, do enlighten me just a little. Please. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

HM is the female Chuck Norris. I think that about says it.

Oh, do enlighten me just a little. Please. :)

Long distance fanatic - tri and run. Lovely girl. Very helpful but took no sh1t. Modded for a few years. Her husband into long distance stuff as well, more from a swimming perspective though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tunney wrote: »
    Long distance fanatic - tri and run. Lovely girl. Very helpful but took no sh1t. Modded for a few years. Her husband into long distance stuff as well, more from a swimming perspective though

Still does. Like a spectre you wont find her if you are looking but she still haunts the forums from time to time :D

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Still does. Like a spectre you wont find her if you are looking but she still haunts the forums from time to time :D

Nah, she only has power in the plodders board now.

Advertisement