Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dory Dory wrote: »
    @ cl.....no worries, plus I know how busy you are with all the interviews and glamour shoots. ;) The marathon is Sunday, October 7th. I don't believe I've had a sip of the spirits since I was in Ireland. :eek: It does you and the Clown no harm, that's for sure....and hubby says beer is his favorite recovery drink after a long bike ride. And you (and digs) have a standing reservation at the DD training camp! Woo hoo!! That would be a blast! :D

Woohoo! Can't wait :)

I think my secret is the beer/peanuts or red wine/chocolate combo of choice on any given evening. The only major negative impact so far is the one it's having on my BF %... The plan is to get through Berlin and then get my ass into the gym and work on the guns while the legs are in recovery. :o
    griffin100 wrote: »
    I think I've finally found a practical use for those furry critters that like to accompany you on your runs!!!! (no pun intended)

Haha - I didn't spit out my tea at that but I did manage to snort it up my nose in whatever retarded chuckle I let out.. urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

We had 6 friends for dinner last night so no training to report for Sunday, unless you count the day-long marathon food-fest of cooking and preparation I did for the gathering. But today was a holiday so I made up a little lost time was some quality sessions - a trifecta, actually. :)

Bike

Okay, some might turn their nose up at the thought of spending so much time on a trainer or question the quality of the stationary session, but with no downhill to give my legs a break, it was a constant burn with constant effort that made me yearn for a little pavement pedaling. Now that I clip in :cool: , my legs are working double time - there is a definite difference in fatigue I am experiencing, but I know it's a positive. When I tried to think of the pedaling in terms of a circle instead of a box or up and down, I found my feet chasing each other in a crazy accelerating motion....which got a little out of hand at times. I also concentrated some on the up motion, but hubby told me not to do that....circle, circle, circle. Any way....20 quality thigh burning miles while watching Serena Williams beat up on some poor waif in the US Open.

Run

It's Monday, so it's interval day. I chilled after the bike, then went to work for a while (closed, but still have to walk, feed and treat the dogs/cats at the clinic (don't walk the cats, though...)), then came home to hop on the treadie to knock this session out. Felt absolutely great - strong and confident....even did these interval miles slightly faster than plan, but I felt in total command. Funny how one day you feel amazing, and another day not so much. :confused:

1 mile warm up
    1 mile @ 6:54
    .25 mile recovery
    1 mile @ 6:49
    .25 mile recovery
    1 mile @ 6:44
    1 mile cool down

5.5 miles in 45:15 for an average pace of 8:14 min/mile.

Swim

Immediately changed into my speedo after the intervals to post a wonderful 2,000 yard recovery steady swim. No messing around with this session - my VA Tech Hokies are playing in their first football game of the season tonight (live, primetime on ESPN....as I type), so I had to be perched in front of the television by the time Enter the Sandman was booming in the stadium. Mission accomplished. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Now there's a great way to spend a day! Have you noticed much difference in your speed since clipping in?

(PS aero bars next way to spend $$$)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Now there's a great way to spend a day! Have you noticed much difference in your speed since clipping in?

(PS aero bars next way to spend $$$)

I have a 50 mile organized ride this Sunday so I will let you know about speed then, but I do feel I have more power. The aerobars are a given -already chatted w/bike shop about that - as is the almost certain Trek Madone I fell deeply in love with (the 2013 model comes out just in time for my birthday!). Sleek lines, sensitive to the touch, precision handling - artistry in motion, actually. <sigh>

Swim

I could live in warm water. I hate that my pool will be closing in about 6 weeks. :( Oh well. Such is life.

4 x 1,000 freestyle with some breast stroke thrown in for good measure.

(note to self: update SBR challenge data.....soon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I have a 50 mile organized ride this Sunday so I will let you know about speed then, but I do feel I have more power. The aerobars are a given -already chatted w/bike shop about that - as is the almost certain Trek Madone I fell deeply in love with (the 2013 model comes out just in time for my birthday!). Sleek lines, sensitive to the touch, precision handling - artistry in motion, actually. <sigh>

Please please please DO NOT put aero bars on that bike until next March/April or whenever you have to for a tri.
    Even the Madone needs a few months to shine as it was designed, without the baggage of aero bars etc.

:eek:

interested wrote: »
    Please please please DO NOT put aero bars on that bike until next March/April or whenever you have to for a tri.
    Even the Madone needs a few months to shine as it was designed, without the baggage of aero bars etc.

:eek:

No worries. My plan is a few organized rides this fall and treat it like the road bike that it is, then when triathlon training next spring begins, put the "clip on" aerobars.....which I assume are like an accessory that come off and on at will and leave no trace behind. :)

The Hill from Hell, Part III - the Condensed Session

Because I plan on doing a proper 20 miler this weekend, I swapped my proper tempo run for a little mid-week hill work. Fairly warm day today, but not horrible, so after I finished up work I headed straight to the mountain to run from Elkwallow up to Hogback Overlook - just over 3 miles up and three miles down.

The first two miles up the mountain were pretty unremarkable - hard as always, but I chugged along thinking of Kurt and how I am allowed to go slow and how I need to keep my stride short and body relaxed. I also know that it's only going to be 30 minutes or so until I get to the top, and I know I can suffer for 30 minutes. The third mile up the mountain was tougher - I was definitely struggling and hating life. I had to pee, so I took the opportunity to take a quick break and relieve myself before I reached the summit - better to break going up than going down.

Reached the top and the view was amazing. Fog was rolling in and the sun was setting, so the scene looking down on the valley below was quite dramatic. I sat on the stone wall for a few minutes before heading back down the mountain to appreciate the beauty and solitude, and acknowledge how lucky I am to live in such natural wonderland. After a few stretches and a few flat laps at the top to loosen the legs, it was time to descend.

And descend I did, until I saw a tin can of a car slowing as it approached me...and the window rolling down...and a man's arm waving me to stop. Great, I thought. And I had forgotten my mace. :rolleyes: Good news though, turns out he wasn't planning on abducting me ;), but rather he wanted to warn me that there was a bear up ahead that had just crossed the road. Huh? Whah? A bear??? He saw the concern on my face, and in his attempt to quell my fears he said....."well, it wasn't a very big bear." Oh....that's MUCH better. Right. So on I went, keeping an eye and ear open for a not very big bear that may or may not appear before or behind me. And I had forgotten my mace.

The bear never materialized, but downhill speed did. With two downhill sessions under my belt already, I know that I should be able to easily keep a 7:30 to 8:00 min/mile pace while going downhill without batting an eye. I relax, let the legs become automatic, and use gravity as my friend. First downhill mile was right in target. Second downhill mile seemed faster, but I didn't realize how much faster until about 3/4 of the way through it when I looked at my watch - 6:4x!!!! OMG!! Momentary panic, then Intersted popped into my head telling me to not allow my mind to rule my body...go for it. And go for it I did. The second downhill mile ended up being 6:42, third downhill mile was 6:36, and the last .42 downhill mile was 6:04. :eek::eek::eek: Wow. I pushed these miles, and did feel nauseated about a mile into them, but I let it rip. Very pleased. One thing that helped was the lack of traffic up on the Drive tonight - I didn't have to bob and weave on and off the road avoiding traffic. I am under no illusions - this is healthy downhill pace, and for only 3 miles - I doubt I will be able to sustain or match this pace in the marathon (not that I won't try), but this is very good practice for me.

I will post the Garmin data tomorrow as an edit to this post....and I have a few pics from the run....but here are my splits. First three miles are up, up, up...

9:51, 9:49, 10:02, 7:32, 6:42, 6:36, 2:32 (6:04 pace), 1:31 (9:10 cool down pace)

6.58 miles in 54:38.04 for an average pace of 8:17 min/mile.

Edit - Garmin link of this run...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/219437111

A few photos from the run....
    2012-09-05_19-09-49_716.jpg

2012-09-05_19-16-48_95.jpg

2012-09-05_19-20-57_436.jpg

Still need to update SBR challenge data.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Wow, glad to hear you're alright. I checked online for any further reports regarding your bear and found this picture. The streets are a safer place without these sort of characters getting in your way. :rolleyes:

628x471.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I wonder was it bigfoot himself :eek:

Smalfut.jpg

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested, I added 3 photos and the Garmin data (which now says avg pace of 8.18 min/mile :confused:) of last night's run to my original post ^^^.

@ Interested....look how sad he looks. :( Breaks my heart.

@ catweazle.....hmmm, I think I've seen that photo before. Interested, can you help me out here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Now you know how to take precautions!
    ATT5.jpg

OMG.....hilarious!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Cracking hill work.

A week of puppies, kitties and bears ... oh my :).

Swim

Just a nice 3,000 yard swim under a gorgeous evening sky.

2,000 yards free
    1 x 200 yards breast
    4 x 200 yards free

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just took a look at your Garmin link. Wow. You are so bloody lucky! If I lived there, I'd never run another marathon again in my life (maybe). My eye was caught by Jeremys Run Drive and Jeremiah's Run Drive (brothers?!), then I found this 15 mile loop. I could spend all day just browsing the trails you have outside your back door.

Just took a look at your Garmin link. Wow. You are so bloody lucky! If I lived there, I'd never run another marathon again in my life (maybe). My eye was caught by Jeremys Run Drive and Jeremiah's Run Drive (brothers?!), then I found this 15 mile loop. I could spend all day just browsing the trails you have outside your back door.

Yes, we are SO lucky to live where we do - it's absolutely soaked in unspoiled nature with trails on top of trails. I've hiked parts of that 15 mile loop you posted - hubby has probably done all of it. The parking lot the link references is the parking lot I park in to run my hills - and it's great because there are flushing toilets and a little wayside place to eat/purchase drinks and snacks there. The trails are somewhat challenging in that there are plenty of rocks and uneven surface, but you just slow it down and watch where you plant your foot and definitely enjoy the surrounding of trees and canopy. I'm only 2 hours from DC (less, actually).....come see me!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sadly, the two places I frequent are Wisconsin and California (a mere 1,000 - 2,000 miles away!). I'll try and look you up next time I'm in NY (a mere 314 miles way. :)). Bloody big country! Can you run on Skyline Road? Looks amazing. *Edit*: Is it wrong that I'm mapping runs in the hills around Luray?!

Sadly, the two places I frequent are Wisconsin and California (a mere 1,000 - 2,000 miles away!). I'll try and look you up next time I'm in NY (a mere 314 miles way. :)). Bloody big country! Can you run on Skyline Road? Looks amazing. *Edit*: Is it wrong that I'm mapping runs in the hills around Luray?!

Yes, you can run on Skyline Road (actually called Skyline Drive) (cyclists LOVE Skyline Drive) - and that's what I've been doing on these hill runs the past few weeks. I do like to trail run "off road", but with the marathon only 4 weeks away I am sticking to paved roads for the moment. After the marathon, I have a while until my next event so the plan is to do some trail running. You have no idea how magical the woods become in the fall with all the colors bursting and the air getting crisp. I also have a goal of running from Panarama (south of Elkwallow near my favorite trail, Mary's Rock) to Elkwallow then up to Hogback overlook...then back down again. I figure the entire run will be in the neighborhood of 21 - 23 miles and the total elevation will be near 2,000 ft. This will be something I will do at a leisurely rate with lunch at Elkwallow (fried burgers and blackberry milkshakes!) perhaps later this year. I'll also want to recruit someone to do this with me, and that may be hard.

And it is DEFINITELY not wrong that you are mapping some runs in my area. Perhaps you will need to bring the kids to DC for some American culture and history (wait - how old are your kids??), then you can slip on out to the mountains. My absolute favorite time of year here is late September through early November - it's gorgeous. My home is your home if you ever head our way. :)

20 Mile LSR

Today has been a bit blustery, so when I headed out to the field to tackle this 20 mile run at a target pace of 8:20-8:30 min/mile, I knew I'd be working against the wind. What I didn't expect, however, was the humidity. Packed up the cooler with the usual goods, dialed up the satellites on my watch and off I trotted. Within the first mile I realized it was much hotter than the 84 degrees on my weather display - I hadn't bothered to check the humidity (it was 67%) because I was more focused on the 12 mph wind - and by the second mile my body was telling me there was no way I was going to get 20 miles done without keeling over before they were completed. So, after those two miles, I turned off the Garmin and gathered up my cooler and trudged down to the basement to finish the remaining 18 miles on the treadmill. Barf. And this is why I will never train for a fall marathon again.

Initially, I broke the 18 miles down to 3 x 6 miles to mentally get through this, but then once I started ticking off the miles I just pretty much kept going. I did take one break to refresh the water and have a stretch and consume some jelly beans at mile 8....and I watched the US Open (Murray is a class act). Not much else to say about this "run"....so here are the stats....

Per Garmin:
    2.07 miles in 17:17.98 for an average pace of 8:21 min/mile
    8:21, 8:22, 34.2 (8:01 pace)

Treadmill:
    18 miles in 2:32:37 for an average pace of 8:28 min/mile
    Miles 0-11 @ 8:34 min/mile
    Mile 12 @ 8:27 min/mile
    Mile 13 @ 8:20 min/mile
    Mile 14 @ 8:13 min/mile
    Mile 15 @ 8:06 min/mile
    Mile 16-17.5 @ 8:00 min/mile
    Mile 17.5-18 @ 10 min/mile

• Advertisement

Aargh, nightmare- 18 miles on the dreadmill:( Crappy that you missed out on the outdoor run, but it would have been lunacy in that heat, good call. Nice to see those splits get progressively faster, too. I'd say if you were in the salvage business, you'd have a Tri-State enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

You are a machine! Your mental toughness is so impressive.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    You are a machine! Your mental toughness is so impressive.

Thanks, but there is a bit of a let down with doing this on the treadmill; however on a positive note, I will say I did get honest time on my feet, so there is that. The weather is supposed to break tomorrow, so I'm hoping the worst temps and humidity are behind us. Fingers crossed.

Aargh, nightmare- 18 miles on the dreadmill:( Crappy that you missed out on the outdoor run, but it would have been lunacy in that heat, good call. Nice to see those splits get progressively faster, too. I'd say if you were in the salvage business, you'd have a Tri-State enterprise.

Yes, the progression at the end was to at least add a little quality to the session. PN told me before my first marathon to use the first 20 miles as warmup for the last 10k, so it was in that spirit that I approached the last 6 miles. Kinda miss PN.....man of few words, but there was something about him.... :)

Yes, the progression at the end was to at least add a little quality to the session. PN told me before my first marathon to use the first 20 miles as warmup for the last 10k, so it was in that spirit that I approached the last 6 miles. Kinda miss PN.....man of few words, but there was something about him.... :)

You know, I saw him today, and he mentioned your name. Again ;).

You know, I saw him today, and he mentioned your name. Again ;).

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

18 miles on a treadmill...words fail me :eek:. Actually some do come to mind but I'm not sure I know you well enough to tell you that you're as mad as a bloody hatter :p:D. Seriously that's some humidity and heat though, I like my heat but thats a tad too much for me!

Fab trails though so I'm jealous...thinking I'll have to put hiking in the states on my hitlist for next year! Any good suggestions?

18 miles on a treadmill...words fail me :eek:. Actually some do come to mind but I'm not sure I know you well enough to tell you that you're as mad as a bloody hatter :p:D. Seriously that's some humidity and heat though, I like my heat but thats a tad too much for me!

Fab trails though so I'm jealous...thinking I'll have to put hiking in the states on my hitlist for next year! Any good suggestions?

Of course my first suggestion is to hook up with me and I'll take you on trails in the Shenandoah National Park!!! :D We've loads of trails with all sorts of degrees of difficulty and scenery - waterfalls to Camp Hoover to deep woods to signifanct climbing. The ones that come to mind are Mary's Rock (which I love because the view is fab from the top), Old Rag (probably the most popular and I've done it at night in the full moon), and White Oak Canyon (waterfalls and swimming) - but that is not even the tip of the trail iceberg. There are also tons of hikes in our area that are outside of the National Park. Hubby is a big hiker and he has tons of suggestions in this regard. If you do get serious about planning a trip, then I'll tap into his wealth of hiking knowledge for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Thanks, but there is a bit of a let down with doing this on the treadmill; however on a positive note, I will say I did get honest time on my feet, so there is that. The weather is supposed to break tomorrow, so I'm hoping the worst temps and humidity are behind us. Fingers crossed.

Treadmill is not fun - but they are perfectly valid miles. Better to get the quality miles in than fight the conditions.

At 6am this morning here - 72F :) ... humidity .... 89% :eek:. And now at 6pm - a tornado warning until 9pm :confused:. But it is September ... it must end soon.

I have trained for fall marathons before, and while I missed last summer, I don't remember it being this difficult.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Treadmill is not fun - but they are perfectly valid miles. Better to get the quality miles in than fight the conditions.

At 6am this morning here - 72F :) ... humidity .... 89% :eek:. And now at 6pm - a tornado warning until 9pm :confused:. But it is September ... it must end soon.

I have trained for fall marathons before, and while I missed last summer, I don't remember it being this difficult.

Valid miles, thanks. I know my legs feel they were valid.

Today's weather has been crazy! Temp was 66 degrees at 6:30 here this morning.....then in the upper 80s with humidity that made it feel like the 90s mid-day....then a horrible storm with wind and rain.....and now it's a cool 68 degrees. I believe this week is supposed to be nice. I heard about the bad weather coming your way. The US Open had called off the women's final earlier today because of it.

So other summer's have not been this awful to train in?? Okay then, I will keep an open mind to fall events that require summer training. :)

Advertisement