Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I knew months ago you'd want to do long distance. Its only a matter of time. I already told you youre good enough to sail through a HIM if you entered one tomorrow. Good job the real Chrissie has quit for now or she would wanna watch her back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    I knew months ago you'd want to do long distance. Its only a matter of time. I already told you youre good enough to sail through a HIM if you entered one tomorrow. Good job the real Chrissie has quit for now or she would wanna watch her back. :)

HA! If I were only 20 years younger...... ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    HA! If I were only 20 years younger...... ;)
    You and me both!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great stuff - 1-for-1 on podium finishes - no pressure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have always seen a Oryx v Dory Ironwoman hoochie showdown in either Europe or America, one of these years!

Come a little later next year and you can do the Humbert Challenge or earlier for the Hell of the West or even August for the Hardwoman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »
    I have always seen a Oryx v Dory Ironwoman hoochie showdown in either Europe or America, one of these years!

Come a little later next year and you can do the Humbert Challenge or earlier for the Hell of the West or even August for the Hardwoman!

Add some mud and I'll be there :)

catweazle wrote: »

griffin100 wrote: »
    Add some mud and I'll be there :)

Down boys. ;)

So, after I returned from the bike shop and told hubby about the Rolls Royce on two wheels my fanny derriere had the pleasure of being perched on, and after I told him how amazing the carbon fiber frame felt between my legs handled, and after I ranted a bit to his amusement about how the heck he could have let me mash it out on that entry level two-ton tin can in the triathlon, and after he grinned at my ignorant mis-pronunciation of the name of that awesome bike I rode, and after he made it known that he was quite familiar with that awesome bike's awesomeness......after all that, then this evening he announces that he thinks I should do a HIM next year. :confused: Wow. I didn't see that coming.

Swim

All I want to do is swim right now. I was supposed to do a tempo run today, but because I was at the bike shop drooling over the bike that I need in my life to complete me ;), I did not get that run done over lunch. And when I returned home from work this evening, the pool lured me in with its rippling surface....and I am a sucker for a body of water with a rippling surface. ;)

Yet another simple but pleasurable session....

3,200 yards as follows:
    2,000 swim
    1,000 pull
    200 breast stroke

(I'm afraid this damn Trek Madone has made me giddy! ;))

Half century orgnaized bike ride booked for September 9th in the Shenandoah Valley!! Woo hoo!! :) New cleats and new handle bars...but not a new bike....yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Half century orgnaized bike ride booked for September 9th in the Shenandoah Valley!! Woo hoo!! :) New cleats and new handle bars...but not a new bike....yet. ;)

as in 50 miles right ? are you bringing the turbo down to the valley with the T.V etc or is this actually going to be outside ?

:rolleyes:

Madone. Suits you. :)

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    as in 50 miles right ? are you bringing the turbo down to the valley with the T.V etc or is this actually going to be outside ?

:rolleyes:

Yes....as in 50 miles.....also known as 80.4672 kilometers. :D

And yes......outside with the big boys and girls playing nicely in the road with helmets on. ...such a little smart arse.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Yes....as in 50 miles.....also known as 80.4672 kilometers. :D

And yes......outside with the big boys and girls playing nicely in the road with helmets on. ...such a little smart arse.....;)

:pac:

Oryx wrote: »
    Madone. Suits you. :)

Madone......mad one......MAD ONE!!!!!! Oh god...LOVE it!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was at the bike shop drooling over the bike that I need in my life to complete me

This time next year you will be back onto hubby saying you cant compete without a TT bike and that Madone piece of thrash is killing your bike times ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

:D Good to see this and I know you will love it.

Just got around to reading your tri report there so well done again and a great read. Can't wait to get cracking on them myself...next year!

:D Good to see this and I know you will love it.

Just got around to reading your tri report there so well done again and a great read. Can't wait to get cracking on them myself...next year!

Thanks!!! I thought of you when I signed up - it's a lovely RIDE. ;) I can't wait to see how I do with the cleats....and how I will do with falling. :eek::o

I have to say, the tri was a really neat experience....one I will definitely do again.....so, get your booty moving and have some fun with them yourself next year. Can't wait to start reading about all of your cycling adventures..... :)

Tempo

I haven't had a running session in over a week, and hubby even asked me tonight if I had lost interest in it. No. I hadn't lost interest - I just needed a break.

I had planned on doing this session outside, and I had planned on cutting the mileage down from 8 miles to 6 miles because I'm still feeling a bit battered....however, Mother Nature was unleashing her wrath this evening so I was forced to move this session inside to my trusty treadie. I consulted the plan before I started and was startled to see I was slated to do 10 miles and not 8. :eek: Huh? Whah?? Really? My head was spinning and negotiations were churning in my mind. Long story short, I shamed myself into doing the entire 10 miles....as follows.

Miles 0 - 1.5 - warmup
    Miles 1.5 - 6.5 @ 8 min/mile
    Miles 6.5 - 7.5 @ 7:30 min/mile
    Miles 7.5 - 8.5 @ 7:04 min/mile
    Miles 8.5 - 9.75 @ 7:30 min/mile
    Miles 9.75 - 10 - cool down

10 miles in 1:20:24 for an average pace of 8:02 min/mile.

Felt good for this session - particularly relaxed during the 8 min/mile segment. I'm very glad I decided to do the entire 10 miles because once I got going I settled into a happy place quite comfortably. I think stepping back these last two weeks has been a good thing for me. I'm two-thirds the way through an 18 week marathon plan, and because of boredom and pace slavery and fatigue, I wonder if it would be beneficial to make this plan a 20 week plan by adding a week of not using the Garmin and adding fun/unconventional sessions after 6 and 12 weeks. I think it would help the mind, body and spirit. :) Of course, training for a triathlon while training for a marathon might have contributed to my burned out feeling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thats a fine run session out of you m'lady...

Have fun on the half century :)

BTW, you rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Thanks!!! I thought of you when I signed up - it's a lovely RIDE. ;) I can't wait to see how I do with the cleats....and how I will do with falling. :eek::o

I have to say, the tri was a really neat experience....one I will definitely do again.....so, get your booty moving and have some fun with them yourself next year. Can't wait to start reading about all of your cycling adventures..... :)

You won't know yourself in the cleats, they make such a difference. I haven't fallen off so far (prob just jinxed myself) but still have the odd problem with cliipping in! My next thing to master is drinking whilst on the move :o

Yeah I have my eye on a tri at the start of next year but need to get my swimming in order.

The Hill From Hell 15 Mile LSR

The hill was the Blue Ridge Mountain. The hell was the obvious. With my triathlon done and dusted, and with only 6 weeks to go before my marathon that has a net elevation loss of something like 1900 feet, I figured my focus for the duration of the training plan has to be in part quad busting downhills. But, what goes down must go up....so....up I went, and then down, and then up, and then down, and then up, and then down. My poor legs feel like they've just run a marathon. No, actually, I think they feel worse.

My goal for this run was to find a stretch somewhere to run that would accomodate a 3 to 4 mile continuous downhill....and Skyline Drive was written all over that order. The weather was perfect for this today - overcast and only in the 70s. I packed my cooler with water and Gatorade, and I packed my bag with jelly beans, gummi bears, shot bloks and Snickers bars. The plan was to park at Elkwallow and run ~3 miles up to Hogback overlook and then back down to Elkwallow for a potty break and a stretch. Then off again down to (I think) Jeremy's Run overlook and then back up to Elkwallow for another quick break. Then part way back up to Hogback, and u-turn it for home once more. I ended up in Elkwallow parking lot with .5 mile left to go, so I cooled down with a few laps around the parked cars and motorcycles to get my full 15 miles in.

I knew a week or more ago when I was mulling over doing this route that I would have to ignore specified plan paces - wasn't going to happen with the inclines I was facing - but I'm banking on the trade off being that I am better prepared for the elevation profile of the marathon....and all I can say is "boy howdy" was that a killer of a run and a fun challenge. For the most part it was only me and my thoughts on these 15 miles, but I did meet up with a few cyclists and we gave each other an encouraging shout out as we passed. One cyclist who I saw twice on my run even high-fived me. Woo hoo!! Love a boost along the way. :D

There is no need for me to post my splits by the mile because they do not make sense without seeing the corresponding elevations - so here's my Garmin data.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/214845298

And here's a map of the area I ran today in case anyone is interested in The Shenandoah National Park. I wish I had my camera for Hogback overlook as the view is simply amazing.
    http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf

And finally, here's my run summary....which is way better than I expected it to be considering the elevation gain on this run was 1,781 feet. :eek: I really wasn't sure my average pace would be under 9 min/mile, but it was. Per the plan, the targeted pace was to be 8:20, but not bothered by that today.

15 miles in 2:11:06 for an average pace of 8:42 min/mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The Hill From Hell 15 Mile LSR

The hill was the Blue Ridge Mountain. The hell was the obvious. With my triathlon done and dusted, and with only 6 weeks to go before my marathon that has a net elevation loss of something like 1900 feet, I figured my focus for the duration of the training plan has to be in part quad busting downhills. But, what goes down must go up....so....up I went, and then down, and then up, and then down, and then up, and then down. My poor legs feel like they've just run a marathon. No, actually, I think they feel worse.

My goal for this run was to find a stretch somewhere to run that would accomodate a 3 to 4 mile continuous downhill....and Skyline Drive was written all over that order. The weather was perfect for this today - overcast and only in the 70s. I packed my cooler with water and Gatorade, and I packed my bag with jelly beans, gummi bears, shot bloks and Snickers bars. The plan was to park at Elkwallow and run ~3 miles up to Hogback overlook and then back down to Elkwallow for a potty break and a stretch. Then off again down to (I think) Jeremy's Run overlook and then back up to Elkwallow for another quick break. Then part way back up to Hogback, and u-turn it for home once more. I ended up in Elkwallow parking lot with .5 mile left to go, so I cooled down with a few laps around the parked cars and motorcycles to get my full 15 miles in.

I knew a week or more ago when I was mulling over doing this route that I would have to ignore specified plan paces - wasn't going to happen with the inclines I was facing - but I'm banking on the trade off being that I am better prepared for the elevation profile of the marathon....and all I can say is "boy howdy" was that a killer of a run and a fun challenge. For the most part it was only me and my thoughts on these 15 miles, but I did meet up with a few cyclists and we gave each other an encouraging shout out as we passed. One cyclist who I saw twice on my run even high-fived me. Woo hoo!! Love a boost along the way. :D

There is no need for me to post my splits by the mile because they do not make sense without seeing the corresponding elevations - so here's my Garmin data.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/214845298

And here's a map of the area I ran today in case anyone is interested in The Shenandoah National Park. I wish I had my camera for Hogback overlook as the view is simply amazing.
    http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf

And finally, here's my run summary....which is way better than I expected it to be considering the elevation gain on this run was 1,781 feet. :eek: I really wasn't sure my average pace would be under 9 min/mile, but it was. Per the plan, the targeted pace was to be 8:20, but not bothered by that today.

15 miles in 2:11:06 for an average pace of 8:42 min/mile.

Wow... you're getting some great stuff in recently. I reckon your calves will be killing you tomorrow, after such a long relentless downhill.

So, next stop, Marathon No.2. How many minutes under 3:30 are you gunning for?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Wow... you're getting some great stuff in recently. I reckon your calves will be killing you tomorrow, after such a long relentless downhill.

So, next stop, Marathon No.2. How many minutes under 3:30 are you gunning for?

My calves are going to hurt tomorrow?? I thought it was just quads. Great. :(

I will be happy with a time as close to 3:30 as possible....I'd be over the moon with a sub 3:30, but first things first, and that's reaching 3:30. ;) I am bound and determined, however, to be as prepared as I can be for this race so I must decide how often I want to run this particular course (with perhaps a few tweaks). I think next week is a 20 mile run....not sure I can do this particular run for 20 miles, so I need to evaluate and weigh the pros and cons and then decide if I receive the most benefit from doing this run at this approximate distance and pace, or an "easier" run for the full distance at specified pace. Any opinions are welcome. :)

My calves are going to hurt tomorrow?? I thought it was just quads. Great. :(

I will be happy with a time as close to 3:30 as possible....I'd be over the moon with a sub 3:30, but I first things first, and that's reaching 3:30. ;) I am bound and determined, however, to be as prepared as I can be for this race so I must decide how often I want to run this particular course (with perhaps a few tweaks). I think next week is a 20 mile run....not sure I can do this particular run for 20 miles, so I need to evaluate and weigh the pros and cons and then decide if I receive the most benefit from doing this run at this approximate distance and pace, or an "easier" run for the full distance at specified pace. Any opinions are welcome. :)

Emphasis on the "any" part here...

There's nothing I like better than determination in a bound girl, but I'll suggest you will prove things to yourself on race day, that don't necessarily need to be pre-proven. Maybe I'm taking you up wrong, but a 20 mile marathon-pace run will only harm your race goals. You know you can hit the distance, now its a matter of hitting it in a given time. Do your 20-miler as slow as you like (in fact, slower than that); you've gallons (liters;)) of fortitude that will take you through 20 miles on race day under 8 min/mile.

Emphasis on the "any" part here...

There's nothing I like better than determination in a bound girl, but I'll suggest you will prove things to yourself on race day, that don't necessarily need to be pre-proven. Maybe I'm taking you up wrong, but a 20 mile marathon-pace run will only harm your race goals. You know you can hit the distance, now its a matter of hitting it in a given time. Do your 20-miler as slow as you like (in fact, slower than that); you've gallons (liters;)) of fortitude that will take you through 20 miles on race day under 8 min/mile.

Didn't intend on doing 20 miles at marathon pace, but rather the prescribed training plan MP + x seconds. Just trying to decide if hills/downhills are more important than hitting mileage and training pace. I think perhaps what you are saying is that they (hills/downhills) are.

Didn't intend on doing 20 miles at marathon pace, but rather the prescribed training plan MP + x seconds. Just trying to decide if hills/downhills are more important than hitting mileage and training pace. I think perhaps what you are saying is that they (hills/downhills) are.

Sorry, confusion is becoming rampant in my pickled and aging mind; I misread your post slightly.

But yes, 100%, getting your legs used to downhills will be very important (ideally you would be ending long runs with long downhills). I believe Boston(?) marathon is notorious for hurting runners by finishing downhill towards the end. It's harder running downhill than uphill, towards the end of a marathon, especially so if your legs aren't used to the extra downhill extensions.

Its a bit more extreme, but hillrunners suffer hugely from the downhill part of first race of the season, cramps, DOMS, etc. Once that's been overcome, the legs are much more capable of repeating the downhill part in future races. Sounds like you are doing the perfect thing, by getting downhill practice in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry, confusion is becoming rampant in my pickled and aging mind; I misread your post slightly.

But yes, 100%, getting your legs used to downhills will be very important (ideally you would be ending long runs with long downhills). I believe Boston(?) marathon is notorious for hurting runners by finishing downhill towards the end. It's harder running downhill than uphill, towards the end of a marathon, especially so if your legs aren't used to the extra downhill extensions.

Its a bit more extreme, but hillrunners suffer hugely from the downhill part of first race of the season, cramps, DOMS, etc. Once that's been overcome, the legs are much more capable of repeating the downhill part in future races. Sounds like you are doing the perfect thing, by getting downhill practice in.

+1 on the above. Spot on. On the hill orientated runs it's time to switch off watching pace and focus on effort (or HR).

The damage is calves on the uphills and quads on the downhills - approximately :).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had to wait a week to read about how you got on :( but delighted to hear that it went so well. Knew you'd kick ass in the swim, but was the bike leg a bit of a surprise? If the waves had been organized according to target times and you managed to shave 30 seconds off your swim, reckon you'd have finished in the top 5? Loved the report. Looking forward to the next race already.

Had to wait a week to read about how you got on :( but delighted to hear that it went so well. Knew you'd kick ass in the swim, but was the bike leg a bit of a surprise? If the waves had been organized according to target times and you managed to shave 30 seconds off your swim, reckon you'd have finished in the top 5? Loved the report. Looking forward to the next race already.

The bike leg was a total surprise. Total. :) Between getting more time in the saddle, clipping in, and upgrading the bike, this is the area I have the most potential to improve in. Very psyched about that. :D

Bike

With my bike back from the bike shop with its new Shimano pedals and handlebars installed, I had hoped to get some road time in the saddle today, but because it was drizzling rain and fairly heavy fog....and because I fell over in the parking lot while at a dead stop but with one foot still clipped in :o.....I figured it might serve me well to practice on the trainer a few times before I actually hit the road. So.....I practiced on the trainer, and it was different. It felt different to pedal. And it was actually harder in some ways.....and really harder when I tried to pedal with one leg. (Oryx, how do you do this??!!) Nothing too earthshaking to report....just 20 miles at an average pace of 16 mph. Legs were feeling yesterday's run up and down the mountain.

Swim

The most exciting thing about this swim was the brand spanking new bathing suit I had on. Purchased it on sale from Speedo. It's an orange, pink, black and white number in a quasi-animal print. Very spiffy. And the back of it is basically totally open, which was very enjoyable in the water because I am always aware of how amazing the water feels moving across my body when I swim....and I couldn't help but think of you folks in Ireland with your wetsuits and how much you are missing while swimming out of doors....

For the next little bit, I will pretty much be using my swim sessions as recoveries from my running, so my swim posts will most likely be very boring, but I need to switch gears for now.

2,000 yards of continuous swimming. This does my body so much good. :)

• Advertisement

Intervals

A quickie lunchtime interval session on the treadmill employing all my tricks to prevent me from constantly looking at the mileage display....such as, can't look down until after the commercial is over....can't look down until I've counted to 200.....can't look down until Andrea Mitchell passes the question on to the next guest. Yada, yada.

1 mile warm-up
    . 5 mile at 6:40 min/mile
    .25 mile recovery
    .5 mile at 6:40 min/mile
    .25 mile recovery
    1 mile at 6:59 min/mile
    .25 mile recovery
    .25 mile recovery
    1 mile cool down

6 miles total in 50 minutes for an average pace of 8:20 min/mile.

Swim tonight. YAY!! :D

Advertisement