Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Happy Thanksgiving hoochiedoubledee x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Happy Thanksgiving hoochiedoubledee x

Thank ya, darlin'! xo

Thanksgiving, November 27th, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles easy, am....6 miles easy, pm

Good god....if Thanksgiving Day means eat as much rich food as possible....all day long....and then cram an extra helping in for good measure...then scarf down a slice of homemade pecan pie....and top it all off with a Straw-ber-Rita margarita...without any guilt, then I definitely embraced the meaning of this day with gusto! :D

And in between all that gorging, I managed to get in some training.

The morning run was done on the treadmill due to the sleet that was falling and the streets being icy. I watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will I trotted along at an easy 10 min/mile pace. Legs felt a little heavy to start with, but by the time I was nearing the end, some joy came sneaking in.

Actual run: 4.5 easy tready turkey day miles

I spent 60 minutes on the Black Cat, in part because our power went out (no doubt due to the snow and ice we have here) and I was worried I wouldn't get my second run in. Of course I had my turkey and sweet potatoes in the oven cooking when the power went out!!! But that's another story.

And....then.....the power came back on! Voilà!!! So, no excuse not to get the evening run in....so I did. 6 miles at an easy 10 min/mile pace while I watched the Eagles stuff it to the Cowboys. And, like this morning's little trot, it took a few miles for the legs to feel the love. But they felt the love. Eventually. :)

Actual run: 6 love-finding treadmill miles

Friday, November 28th, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

Still plenty of snow on the ground, but the day was bright and sunny, and this was just a short recovery run...so....I decided to brave the frozen elements and make this a fun snowy stomp. I slipped into an old pair of running shoes, grabbed a pair of shades :D , and away I went, crunching through the very bright white surface quite deliberately and slowly (not that I had a choice). Gorgeous day, with an unexpected surprise that got my carcass in an uproar (here's looking at you, kid)....but nice to be out in the fresh air and sunshine over the noon hour.

Actual run: 4.2 crunchy, snowy, stomping field miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thanksgiving, November 27th, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles easy, am....6 miles easy, pm

Good god....if Thanksgiving Day means eat as much rich food as possible....all day long....and then cram an extra helping in for good measure...then scarf down a slice of homemade pecan pie....and top it all off with a Straw-ber-Rita margarita...without any guilt, then I definitely embraced the meaning of this day with gusto! :D

And in between all that gorging, I managed to get in some training.

The morning run was done on the treadmill due to the sleet that was falling and the streets being icy. I watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will I trotted along at an easy 10 min/mile pace. Legs felt a little heavy to start with, but by the time I was nearing the end, some joy came sneaking in.

Actual run: 4.5 easy tready turkey day miles

I spent 60 minutes on the Black Cat, in part because our power went out (no doubt due to the snow and ice we have here) and I was worried I wouldn't get my second run in. Of course I had my turkey and sweet potatoes in the oven cooking when the power went out!!! But that's another story.

And....then.....the power came back on! Voilà!!! So, no excuse not to get the evening run in....so I did. 6 miles at an easy 10 min/mile pace while I watched the Eagles stuff it to the Cowboys. And, like this morning's little trot, it took a few miles for the legs to feel the love. But they felt the love. Eventually. :)

Actual run: 6 love-finding treadmill miles

And it never occurred to you to power the oven off the turbo? Rather than measure wattage/miles it could be temperature/food. E.g. Turbo session : roasted turkey @ 350

• Advertisement

Saturday, November 29th, 2014

Run plan: Track session! :eek: 2 miles easy, 20 x (200m @ 3k pace, 200m recovery), 2 miles easy

This was supposed to be Wednesday's session, but due to the snow that fell all day on Wednesday, today's originally planned session was swapped out for Wednesday's. We're still in the deep freeze here, so I waited until after noontime in hopes that the temps would go up and I wouldn't be freezing my patootie off. Good news, temps got to about 40 degrees Fahrenheit, but the sun was nowhere to be found so I couldn't count on a little solar action to warm the bones. Therefore, I resorted to donning a down running jacket, and all was well in my world.

The rickety school track I run on is longer than 400m, but I'm honestly not sure just how much longer. However, the only real meaningful number for this type of session is the comparative split for the intervals, so that's all I really concerned myself with today. In my head, I broke this down into 4 sets of 5 x 200s....and I think they went pretty well. My goal was to keep pace even while accepting the fact that I'd be expending more effort to keep that pace as the session went on. I had no idea what my 3k pace should be, but based on a few post-session calculations that were highly unscientific and crudely estimated, I should have been targeting 6ish min/mile.....and based on my Garmin (taking into account Garmin inaccuracies, especially on a track and at short distances), I was in the neighborhood of this target pace. So, happy camper. :)

3k-ish paced intervals, stated in elapsed time...
    47, 48, 46, 47, 46, 46, 46, 46, 46, 46
    47, 46, 47, 46, 47, 46, 45, 45, 45, 44

Recovery intervals, for sh*ts and giggles, state in elapsed time....
    1:16, 1:14, 1:16, 1:19, 1:19, 1:19, 1:20, 1:19. 1:20, 1:22
    1:22, 1:20, 1:20, 1:26, 1:25, 1:23, 1:28, 1:24, 1:25

Actual run: 9.38 miles in 1:19:13 for an average pace of 8:27 min/mile

Hopped on the Black Cat this evening for an hour to spin the legs out. I find value in this. Not sure this time spent on the Cat is really doing anything to forward my cycling skills or ability, but it's definitely helping with recovery, and I'm hoping it's reinforcing bike muscle memory.

Hit the yoga mat immediately after the bike for some needed gentle stretching and foam rolling. Spent a little extra time on the mat....something I need to do each and every week throughout the training plan.

Sunday, November 30th, 2014

Run plan: 10 miles easy, with HR strap

Not a bad day out today. Still pretty chilly, but the sun is shining, which made Dory one hot, sweaty overdressed mess for this run. I had a feeling when I pulled on my down running coat I was going to regret it, but I didn't listen to my gut.

I met up with a friend for this one, and we did my old route out towards Lake Arrowhead and back. It's a bit of a winding and narrow road (and my friend was nearly reduced to roadkill when an idiot in a big, black SUV wasn't going to give an inch of the asphalt...in fact, it seemed like he moved closer to us - I ended up in the gully to avoid being hit!).....but the "nice" thing about this route is it has 4 constant miles of uphill, and a returning 4 constant miles of downhill. However, because of the elevation profile, I knew it'd be a bit tricky keeping the heart rate down to 135 or less, but I did the best I could. Honestly, at times I felt it took more effort when I slowed my pace down while going uphill :confused: but I tried to ease back as much as possible with the hope of bringing my bpm down.

It's nice doing some road running again. I love my field, and I find "comfort" in repetition and familiarity.....but variety truly is the spice of life, so variety it will be!! Not only am I rotating my running shoes, but I'm going to rotate running surfaces and venues. :)

But the run was fine. Seems so funny to be going so slow, but I have to keep the faith that I'm teaching my body "self-sustainability", sort of. ;) No doubt, however, that it's time on my feet, and I would imagine that alone has value. Again, no need for any stops or water or nutrition. This is still so fascinating to me. I wonder how far at this effort one could go without any nutrition? Maybe over the coming weeks I'll learn where my breakpoint is.

Garmin link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/642758830

Actual run: 10.45 miles in 1:43:04 for an average pace of 9:52 min/mile, an average HR of 142 bpm, and an elevation gain of 498 feet (I would have bet you anything that the elevation gain was more than this!)

Arrived home and had some kitty love on the Cat. 60 minutes of spinning while I ate lunch and trolled the internet. I tried a Gatorade chocolate recovery milkshake. Hmm....it was ohhh-kay. I'd rather have good old chocolate milk....and I ended up tossing half of the Gatorade shake away. It was free from the NY City marathon, so no loss.

Yogi #1 (Norris) and I hit the mat and made like Gumby and stretched, stretched, stretched. Then it was some foam rolling for good measure. Week 3 of the plan done, and it was another very good week. This is going to be interesting. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

same arrowhead as the water brand?

mossym wrote: »
    same arrowhead as the water brand?

Not that I'm aware of. Too much goose poop in there!! It is the lake where our local tri takes place. I remember the first year I did the triathlon, I honestly thought I was going to throw up while I was swimming because of all the poop -there is no way you can avoid taking in water while swimming, and I was not prepared for that goosey muck. The lake is much cleaner since that first tri, but I still doubt there is a connection to your water. It probably has more to do with American Indians.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of. Too much goose poop in there!! It is the lake where our local tri takes place. I remember the first year I did the triathlon, I honestly thought I was going to throw up while I was swimming because of all the poop -there is no way you can avoid taking in water while swimming, and I was not prepared for that goosey muck. The lake is much cleaner since that first tri, but I still doubt there is a connection to your water. It probably has more to do with American Indians.

not an irish water, was a brand while i lived in california. https://www.arrowheadwater.com/

nice effort on the run though.:)

• Advertisement

I know some of you folks are already following this thread, but for those of you who aren't but who have an interest in run training theories and approaches, there is no one better than ecoli (aka, ECOLII) to provide a space for such chit chat, guidance and suggested sessions. Here's the link, if you are so inclined....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057323546

Monday, December 1st, 2014

Just a sneaky lunchtime leg shaker-outer in the field. Gorgeous sun shiny day. OMG! 70 degrees and I had on shorts and a short sleeved top. Tomorrow it's supposed to be freezing with sleet raining down on us. WTF?? I mean, this extreme and erratic weather is a bit concerning to me. Don't like the extreme and erratic.

And don't even talk to me about Thanksgiving Day leftovers. Good god, will the eating never stop!!! :eek:

But the good news is, the recovery run was lovely. A bit creaky and heavy to begin with (I wonder why? Turkey, much? :rolleyes:), but legs are in great shape at the moment.

Actual run: 4.2 recovery field miles

Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles easy, am....7 miles easy, pm

The first run was a sneaky lunchtime run in dreary, chilly conditions. The field was a bit muddy from the melted snow and drizzling rain, but I guess every day can't be warm and sunshiny....I mean, if they were, would we appreciate them as much??

Actual run: 4.2 sneaky lunchtime field miles

The second run was done after work in a steady rain on a cold night. Ugh. But to be honest with you, once you're wet, it's not all that bad. And variety of running conditions keeps things interesting, so tonight was just fine. I did this in town - down Main Street to the left (east), until there were no more street lights and it was just too dark for me to run safely......then down Main Street to the right (west) all the way through town and up to the Singing Tower....and then back to the clinic. Because I had a feeling I might be a bit short since I had to do a U-turn a little sooner than I had planned (due to the lack of street lights and safety concerns), I ran the parking lot of the shopping center in town twice to ensure all miles would be accounted for. Yes, I am that person. :o

The run was surprisingly good. I was so bundled up for this jaunt that my Garmin was buried under layers of clothing and I never once saw my paces, but as I look at the paces just now for the first time, I am pleased at their uniformity, and I am pleased with the paces based on the effort I was expending and considering the undulations of the route. The last mile was a bit fast, I will admit...and the effort went up on this mile, I know....but sometimes my legs get a little crazy the closer I get to the finish line...they just can't help themselves. ;)

9:03, 9:03, 9:10, 9:10, 9:02, 8:50, 8:36

Actual run: 7.3 miles in 1:05:29 for an average pace of 8:58 min/mile

Wednesday, December 3rd, 2014

Run plan: 2 miles easy, 12 x (1 min hills @ 3k effort/10k-HM pace, 3 min recovery), 2 miles easy

Hmmm.....I'm not really sure how I feel about this session.

I headed out over lunch...into the spitting rain.....and wind. WIND.

In a nutshell, I question how hard I tried on these repeats. ?? I'm honestly not sure. Even though I know the accuracy of my splits is somewhat suspect due to the brevity of the 1 minute intervals, I still had a look at them and compared them to the hill session I did 2 weeks ago on this same hill, which only confirmed my suspicions. :( Hmmm. The session two weeks ago only had 8 repeats, today's had 12....so, did I consciously or unconsciously pace these slower because there were 4 more today? I don't know.

There was wind....which I definitely took notice of at times, and I vacillated between making myself into a wedge to cut through it, and using it to my advantage as a training tool to make me stronger. Did the wind slow my paces down? I'd say maybe a smidge, but the session 2 weeks ago was in freezing cold, so I had that to contend with then.

And to my credit, I basically felt like I could vomit after each repeat starting on the 6th one....so perhaps that's an indication of my effort. And while my paces this week were slower than 2 weeks ago, the paces themselves (taken with a grain of salt for previously stated inaccuracies) were still faster than my 10k pace, so there is that....but then I wonder if that hill isn't steep enough to warrant 10k pace at 3k effort? Ugh! But it was the mental battles I was having on the last 6 repeats that I think make me question if I tried my hardest. I don't think I caved, but maybe I did. ?? Ugh! Sometimes it's not easy being me!

Bottom line....I trotted away from that hill today with question marks in my mind. I felt hollow after that last repeat....wondered if I had given it what I was supposed to give, but also not convinced that I hadn't. I'm sure I'll be revisiting that hill....and when I do, I'll remember the flat feeling of today's session and I'll try and erase it.

Actual run: 8.01 barf-o-rama hilly miles

Hopped on the Black Cat after work for 60 minutes to spin the legs out. Followed this up by squeezing myself onto a crowded yoga mat (hello Norris and Butler!) for some stretching, core, and foam rolling. :)

Thursday, December 4th, 2014

Sneaky lunchtime field run. This was pretty uneventful - had yesterday's hills in the legs...and I really noticed the unevenness of the grassy path I run on, and it sort of annoyed me today.

Actual run: 4.2 annoyingly uneven grassy field miles

I hit the streets after work to get this done urban street style. I did the exact same route as Tuesday's evening run, except I only ran the shopping center once instead of twice since I knew I'd have enough mileage to satisfy the plan.

This was probably a little too fast. The effort was totally manageable, and for 75-80% of this run I could have sung out loud to the Gogol Bordello cd I was listening to if I had wanted (the other 20-25% would be the hills I was huffing and puffing on :o), but I'm not totally sure you'd qualify this as "easy". ?? BUT, what I do like about this run are two things: 1) the relative uniformity of the splits, especially considering I had my watch hidden under my running coat so I never saw the paces, and 2) the hills I met did not affect my pace. In fact, I think I am getting stronger on the hills...I like to muscle up them while staying relaxed and breathing deeply. :)

9:12, 8:52, 8:32, 8:38, 8:37, 8:31, 8:39

Actual run: 7.08 miles in 1:01:43 for an average pace of 8:43 min/mile

Friday, December 5th, 2014

This was a dreary, chilly, rainy, sneaky lunchtime field trot. But I had my absolute favorite jacket on, so I was smiling all the way! :)

Actual run: 4.2 styling and profiling recovery field miles

Saturday, December 6th, 2014

Run plan: 2 miles easy, 12 x (1km @ HMP, 75 seconds recovery), 2 miles easy

Holyfeckingcrap this was hard. !!!
    :eek:
    Definitely the toughest session I've faced in quite some time. In fact, this made the hill session on Wednesday look like sissy stuff.

I got started a little later in the day than I intended due to it pouring down rain and I was trying to wait it out. Finally, around 1ish (13:00) I headed out - was still spitting rain, but the worst of the downpour seemed to have passed. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of this dreary weather, but I guess it could be worse - it could be snow and ice! No matter, though, out to the field I went... with old shoes, water-repellant coat, ear warmers, positive attitude, and a target of 7:15 min/mile for the HMP.

Soooo...a quick synopsis is as follows: The first 4 x 1kms were fine, totally manageable and felt great. The 5th km started to take effort, and I was dying bundled up in my rain coat that does not breathe! I noticed my energy level dropping on the 6th km, and that's when I remembered that I hadn't eaten anything since my bowl of cereal 7 hours earlier, and I realized that I didn't have any gels or water with me. Ugh. Oh well, the show must go on. And on it did, but on it went after I did a quick striptease between the 6th and 7th kms as I was suffocating at this point and couldn't stand all the clothes I had on. However, this resulted in a little extra recovery time...not the end of the world, and it wasn't a whole lot of extra time, but it was a blip in the plan and duly noted by yours truly. :( The remaining 6 x 1kms took some real mental conviction and trickery....and, to reinforce that I needed to be all business here more than ever, I played the same 2 high energy songs on my iPod over and over again until I reached the 12th km. And it worked. :D

Wow. This was a great session in so many ways, but boy was I crawling on the 2 miles of cool down. Yikes! Slow. S-l-o-w. 10:46 min/mile slow. :o I have a feeling tomorrow's 14 miles easy may rival that slowness. !!!

12 x 1 km paces stated as min/mile pace...
    7:11, 7:11, 6:56, 7:10, 7:13, 7:08
    7:10, 7:08, 7:08, 7:00, 7:12, 7:04

Actual run: 20.9km (12.98 miles) in 1:51:26 for an average pace of 8:35 min/mile

There was some kitty love this evening - 60 minutes of spinning on the Cat while I jammed out to Christmas tunes. I had a few segments of real work here - upping the effort to something above easy, and sweating like a big girl. Felt good, to be honest. :)

Hit the yoga mat after the Cat for stretching and lots of foam rolling. !!! How can something that looks so innocent be so evil?? ;)

Sunday, December 7th, 2014...aka, Pearl Harbor Day

Run plan: 14 miles easy

After yesterday's session :eek:, I knew that today's run would epitomize the concept of running on tired legs. Box checked, goal met, all good in the hood. In other words, legs were pooped from the beginning, but they managed remarkably well. :)

It was a spectacularly gorgeous day out there - sun shining, crisp and clear - and I bundled up accordingly, making sure I could shed layers if needed. I also had some company for part of this run, which was nice, even if we ran in almost complete silence. I did the east part of town and then U-turned it back to Dry Run Road to head out towards the lake (4 miles up), then another U-turn (4 miles down) to retrace my steps. As implied in the previous paragraph, the legs were suggesting that they'd much prefer a nap and some pampering, but to their credit they held up well and honestly didn't complain too much. I was instructed to not bother with the HR monitor, so I went by honest easy effort and didn't glance at the paces on the Garmin at all. No stops, no gels and no water on this run, however around mile 9 I started to have dreamy thoughts about a tall glass of orange juice served over oodles of ice. And speaking of dreamy thoughts, I had a dream last night that I went 10 hours and 30 minutes in an IM, but in the dream I was so focused on figuring out where (and how) I had shaved an hour and 30 minutes off my first IM that I didn't even celebrate my time. Dreams are funny, aren't they??

Any way...best run week for me in 10 or 12 or 14 months. ?? Not only was there some serious quality in there, but I racked up 66 miles.

Actual run: 14 miles in 2:15:16 for an average pace of 9:40 min/mile

Hopped on the Black Cat immediately after the run to spin out the legs. 60 minutes of Christmas tunes and surfing the internet while the cats kept looking at me as if they wanted to be fed.

Hit the mat for some stretching and painful foam rolling....then finally fed the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

These are some savage looking sessions you're putting in lately

Monday, December 8th, 2014

Just a cold and slow recovery trot in the field over lunch. Amazed how good the legs and body feel. Perhaps actually following the plan the way it's intended, and perhaps spinning out the legs after certain sessions, and perhaps foam rolling on a regular basis are having a positive effect. ?? Who knows...but I really am trying to be disciplined. !!!

Actual run: 4.2 recovery field miles

Did some core work this evening....with the BOSU ball and a medicine ball. Was good. Different, but good! :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday, December 9th, 2014

This is going to be quick as I wrote this once and lost it...

The first run was done in a winter wonderland of a field as we've had a wintery mix of ice/snow/rain since midnight last night. In fact, we had enough ice that I spent a good few hours unable to sleep last night in part due to the sound of ice sheets sliding off the roof. Very loud. Not fun. But the sneaky lunchtime icy run was sort of fun in a seasonal kind of way.

Actual run: 4.2 icy field miles

I was convinced that there'd be black ice on the roads after work, so I decided it'd be monumentally stupid to do this second run on the streets of town. That meant it was an evening on the treadmill! Whoop whoop! I do think there is value in the treadmill...so I honestly don't mind running on it from time to time. Plus, I like that I don't have to wear many clothes, and I like that I can zone out into a near hypnotic state due to the static and repetitive nature of it. 7 miles done...in the comfy confines of my basement.

Actual run: 7 easy tready miles

Wednesday, December 10th, 2014

Run plan: track session!!! :eek::D
    2 miles easy
    3x400m in 1.34-1.38 w/70 sec recovery between #1 and #2
    3 min recovery
    2 miles @ MP
    3 min recovery
    3x300m in 1.08-1.12 w/1 min recovery between #1 and #2
    3 min recovery
    2 miles @ MP
    3 min recovery
    3x200m in 45 w/ 1 min recovery between #1 and #2
    2 miles easy

This could quite possibly be the best session I have ever done - best session in terms of design, quality, and execution. Sure, the MP miles were slightly faster than real MP, but it's the track, and I felt great.

2 miles easy: 9:07 min/mile (for the 2 miles)
    3 x 400m in on 1:34, 1:33, 1:33
    2 miles @ MP: 7:21 min/mile (for the 2 miles)
    3 x 300m in on 1:08, 1:08, 1:08
    2 miles @ MP: 7:10 min/mile (for the 2 miles)
    3 x 200m in on 43, 41, 40
    2 miles easy: 9:06 (for the 2 miles)

Actual run: 10.97 miles in 1:33:57 for an average pace of 8:34 min/mile

Spinning on the Cat was needed after work. Box checked.

Stretching and foam rolling was needed after the Cat. Box checked. :)

Thursday, December 11th, 2014

Just 6 laps easing around the field over lunch on a cold and blustery day while the Foo Fighters' "Skin and Bones" cd helped me exhale. Sometimes recovery runs do more than just recover the body.

Actual run: 4.2 nice and easy gentle recovery field miles

I don't usually do anything extra on a recovery day, but I don't usually have a recovery day on a Thursday....and because tomorrow night will be dedicated to making sure the house looks like Christmas threw up all over it, I decided to spin a spell on the Cat. Was going to do 60 minutes, but after 45 minutes I didn't see the point, so I did my best happy holiday dismount and got on with a bit of stretching on the yoga mat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What is the goal at the moment, the 50k? And then smacking a 2015 IM goal?

PS Endless pool on your Santy list I hope... you deserve one:)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What is the goal at the moment, the 50k? And then smacking a 2015 IM goal?

Donadea 50k is just for fun. The run target will be Boston (third time's a charm, right? ;))....however the real target is IM Louisville in October 2015. I'll have 6 months after Boston to get my @ss adhered to the bike saddle in preparation of it!
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    PS Endless pool on your Santy list I hope... you deserve one:)

Hmmm....

<drums fingers on table and looks accusingly around the room>

.....funny you should ask. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I need to have a word with my Santa. Cos he is DEFINITELY short changing me compared to your Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Oryx wrote: »
    I need to have a word with my Santa. Cos he is DEFINITELY short changing me compared to your Santa.

You're just too naughty Oryx :cool:

Friday, December 12th, 2014

Run plan: 7 miles easy

Gorgeous, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS day out there today. !!! Cold, yes. Crisp, yes. But...THE SUN WAS FRICKIN' SHINING....goddammit. !!!

10 times around the field done sneaky lunchtime style while my man with the tool box was busy installing the Endless Pool....with the hydraulic treadmill that would make Alberto Salazar proud. :D Santa's got a big mouth. I suspect BTH has known for a while too. Tsk, tsk. ;)

Actual run: 7 gorgeously sunshiny easy field miles

Tonight was spent decorating the tree while listening to Pandora's Rockin' Christmas station/stream....and I swear to you on a big old stack of bibles if I hear one more version of "All I Want For Christmas Is You" I will vomit. But in happier news, the tree is looking pretty festive! :)

Saturday, December 13th, 2014

Run plan: 14 miles progression, not to exceed MP

Progression runs are a control freaks dream come true. :)

Overcast day (what else is new?), but not as cold (there is a god!). I was sporting my pink adizeros that I am still luvin', and I was feeling pretty good from the start of this one. I stashed a bottle of water and two gels by a tree in the field just in case I needed a boost....but the good news is I didn't - so, no stops, no water, no gels taken on this run, and I felt totally fine throughout.

My plan for this run was to start out at 9:30ish min/mile and increase ~10 seconds per mile to get me to my final mile at 7:30ish min/mile. Of course somewhere along the way I realized I'd actually end at 7:20 min/mile if I followed my plan strictly, so I decided to sort of fudge the last 2 miles. (you have no idea the things I compute/debate/solve on my runs!) Effort was easy until mile 9, at which point I had to start working a bit. Overall, nice run. Pleased with my self-control and paces....and pleased with how my body is managing these long runs.

9:25, 9:20, 9:11, 8:54, 8:46, 8:34, 8:28
    8:15, 8:04, 7:59, 7:45, 7:37, 7:30, 7:27

Actual run: 14 miles in 1:57:24 for an average pace of 8:23 min/mile

Immediately hopped on the Black Cat for 45 minutes of spinning to recover the legs. Some stretching on the mat followed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Abby read your PM message- twice!- last night, for todays first ever swim meet. She was nervous almost to tears beforehand, but came away with a 45sec 50m FS (thats about 7 seconds off her pb). Her exact words during a two-hour car conversation/deconstruction analysis: "Dory Dory is totally right, you feel real nervous beforehand, but once the gun goes and you hit the water you feel magic!"

Thanks Carol, you're a star :D

Advertisement