Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I love having a mathematical brain in the house ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Come on Carol, leave those girls behind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    After 21.2mile marker:

Tamara Foltz 10:30 total race time, 11:39 m/h current pace
    Tracey Macc 10:37, 15:36
    Karen Robinson 10:50 11:32
    Jean Norton 10:59 12:21
    Nina Wending 11:00 11:55
    Dory 11:00 12:33
    Whoops, Tracey Macc hasn't reached the 21.2 mile marker yet.

It's a straight battle for third place, and Dory's in the hunt...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Whoops, Tracey Macc hasn't reached the 21.2 mile marker yet.

It's a straight battle for third place, and Dory's in the hunt...

I wounder if she knows how close to the podium she is ??

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Am sure she is giving it everything now. What a girl.

• Advertisement

Tamara Foltz has won her AG
    Karen Robinson in second has passed 24.4 11:26 @11:15 pace
    Jean Norton in 3rd passed 24.4 11:34 @10:51
    Nina Wendling in 4th has passed 24.4miles 11:40 @12:37 pace
    Dory in 5th has passed 24.4miles 11:42 @13:05

Tracey Byrd in 6th has passed 24.4miles 11:42 @ 11:42

Looks like podium has gone- but can DD get home under the 12 hours mark?

DD has just overtaken Nina Wendling, looks like she is finishing fast...

12:00:57 6th place
    Well done Carol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done Carol!! You are some woman! Superwoman! Can't wait to hear all about it

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Looks like podium has gone- but can DD get home under the 12 hours mark?

57 seconds. Lol. Thats gonna niggle :)

Well done ironman. Ya did it! And in great style!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Oryx wrote: »
    57 seconds. Lol. Thats gonna niggle :)

Well done ironman. Ya did it! And in great style!

Ya she was bitching to me about my tardy transitions and losing 3 minutes to get under 5:30 so she won't sleep till the new year thinking of those 57 seconds :D

Must have been a tough run, it looks like no one got under 3 hours for it

Great debut though, she will take an hour (and 57 seconds) off if she goes again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yay!! It's done!! Run got ugly with tummy troubles....saw the inside of too many Porta Potties!!! Happy overall...except for those damn 57 seconds. ;) Thanks to you all for spending your day with me. I'm a freaking IronMan!!! :D. Or is it IronHoochie? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Dory "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN" welldone you, super effort, and by the way you nearly have me divorced after spending my night trying to get updates on you while out for a meal on my wedding anniversary:) but it was worth it:D enjoy the moment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Well done Dory! Haven't posted myself for ages, injuries, but been following this all day, congratulations!!! Amazing achievement!

Oh, and one more thing...the drafting was disgusting on the bike!!! Trains of folks flying by with no shame that I could detect on any of their faces, including the first two women who passed me who were tucked nicely amongst the men catching a ride (separate train rides, mind you). In fact, the first one who passed me (Tracy Macc??) actually turned to me as she passed and said to me, "yes, this is drafting." I was totally dumbstruck.

Oh, and one very last thing before I close for the night, two super special thank-yous to: interested for feeding me all those evil swim sessions and giving me guidance on the bike, and to ecoli for working with me for 2 years now on my running. Both brilliant and awesomely talented fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Delighted for you DD - brilliant performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats DD. Awesome debut. Enjoy some down time before continuing the journey ;) Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Great result. Delighted for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats DD...delighted for you! Sub 12 dead on for next time out! :)

Well done Dory! You passed one of your rivals over the last mile I think? Did you know who was in each AG at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Super effort DD, enjoy your well earned rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Yay!! It's done!! Run got ugly with tummy troubles....saw the inside of too many Porta Potties!!! Happy overall...except for those damn 57 seconds. ;) Thanks to you all for spending your day with me. I'm a freaking IronMan!!! :D. Or is it IronHoochie? ;)
    Straight up freaking IRON HOOCHIE of the exclusive IRON HOOCHIES club!! :D
    Great job Dory, great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Congrats Ironhoochie. Thank you for a most entertaining day willing you on. Top notch performance:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory."
    William Barclay ....

Well done Carol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Brilliant result. I fell asleep before you finished last night but woke during the night to check up on you :)

It's a just reward for all the work you've put in. You've shown that to be at the competitive end of your AG it's not all about huge training volumes, but rather training smart. I think taking the experience of your first IM onboard will make you Kona contender at your next IM.

Well done Dory! You passed one of your rivals over the last mile I think? Did you know who was in each AG at the time?

If you are asking did I know what place I was in on each leg of the race....

I figured I was first on the swim, but obviously that's hard to tell since you can't see legs with ages on them in the water....and yes, I figured at the end of the bike that I was in 4th behind the two drafters who passed me (disgraceful), and one honest gal...but I was feeling good at the end of the bike leg and was hoping to smash the run to catch at least one of them. Plus, I thought maybe, just maybe the drafters might have gotten caught and penalized. The run got a little nuts, though - had to stop ~7 times to relieve my cramping tummy (gels and blazing sun while working so hard are not a good mix for me) - so I honestly had no idea where I was at that point (but funny thing, I saw the first female drafter on the side of the road somewhere on the last half of my run, so I knew she was out)...but now seeing the results I sort of wish that I had known my position as perhaps I would have gutted it out a little more and maybe moved up the ladder a bit for the final tally. And yes, I saw that rival pass me around the 25 mile marker and I decided right then and there I was having none of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And yes, I saw that rival pass me around the 25 mile marker and I decided right then and there I was having none of that!

Brilliant

Advertisement