Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Go be awesome!

Sorry, I should have said be even more awesome than usual!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck fellow hoochie. I know you're going to not only do well, but you'll enjoy the process too.

Eat. Drink. Keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I look forward to seeing my target time for 2015 finally enter my radar come saturday night. On a completely unrelated subject - how many slots for Kona are available in your age grade ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    caught in the remaining piece of the piece I had accidentally

I love these words together, they seem to capture the essential panic of a taper:) Best of luck!

catweazle wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing my target time for 2015 finally enter my radar come saturday night. On a completely unrelated subject - how many slots for Kona are available in your age grade ;)

I already checked this. 30 in total for the event. But all D needs is one....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All the best Dory...I'll need you guys to keep this updated as I'm marshalling on Sat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Some very flattering words/implications above, but with only 16 weeks of first ever IM training that came off of 2 months of injury-forced rest, I'd say it would be a long shot at best to be competitive in my AG. Give me a few years, then we'll talk!! ;)

But thanks, everyone, for the well wishes!! Whoop whoop! Finishing touches being put on the packing now...then off I go to the eastern shores of Maryland...where I hear the jelly fish are plentiful! :eek:

Thursday, September 18th, 2014...aka, 2 more sleeps!! :eek:

Very quick update....

I arrived in Cambridge in the early afternoon and got registered and briefed without any trouble - and the biggest thing I learned at the briefing was how seriously they take littering here. It's a 4 minute, red card penalty. That and drafting are equal. Heck, nudity was barely even touched on....however, public urination was - it's definitely frowned upon. The buzz is good, but a little low key....the sun was shining and the wind wasn't too bad....and the swim is still not wetsuit legal. That final decision will be made Saturday morning at 5am. Tomorrow is racking the bike and dropping off bike and run gear bags. And rest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

... Heck, nudity was barely even touched on...

:confused::confused::confused: Is this a major issue in the tri world ??

pgmcpq wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused: Is this a major issue in the tri world ??

Apparently over in Ireland it is. Seems it is a bit of an obsession with some race officials at some of the tri races...even trumping drafting in the spending-of-energy-to-police-this-infraction. From what I gather by reading some of the logs, nipples of any gender cannot be displayed at any time....even male nipples. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good luck Dory. 16 weeks better than nothing. Every faith in you. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'm distracted by with my own preparations this side of the water, but just a quick note to wish you luck tomorrow. I think you've every reason to expect to do well.

Looking like it will be touch and go on wetsuits in my race as well, but no doubt a non-wetsuit swim will have far less of a negative impact on your race than mine. On public urination as long as you go on the move, and not jump into the bushes, I don't see how they'd be savvy enough to make a call on it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

The very best of luck Dory. Enjoy your first IM. Don't sell yourself short, you might have had an injury but you're coming in off a massive level of base fitness. You might be more competitive than you think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

good luck dory..

Friday, September 19th, 2014...aka, 1 more very short sleep!!! :eek:

It's a little after 3 o'clock in the afternoon here in Cambridge, Maryland...and it occurs to me that I will be wiping the sleep from my eyes in less than 12 hours to start my first ever IronMan race day journey. I have to be honest with all you folks, my emotions have been all over the place as the unknown can be both exciting and scary. The swim....in the jelly fish filled open water, rather than in the safety of my comfy pool...for 2.4 miles. The bike....on flat roads that hold the potential for some brutal winds...for 112 miles. And the run...again on flat roads, but on the sizzling asphalt with no cooling shade...for 26.2 miles. wtf?? Do any of you ever ask yourself, "why am I doing this?" Of course you do. And we all have our own very good reasons, I just wish I could remember what mine were right now. ;)

Ah...but the bike is racked and the gear bags have been checked in, so I guess I'm really going to do this thing!! I really appreciate everyone's grand support along the way, especially to those who suffered through some of my ridiculously long and drawn out, sleep inducing posts full of silly drivel that a lot of times had nothing to do with training at all, but rather had more to do with cats, frogs, wildlife, and hissy fits. I have absolutely no idea how things will go for me tomorrow, but as long as I'm moving forward (even if it's slower than expected) I will be happy just being out there amongst the other athletes trying to push my boundaries and reach the finish line. This is my starting point.

And so, on that note...I will bid you adieu as it is nearly show time. I will see you fine folks on the other side. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck Dory. I'm so excited for you. You are going to kick ass! Can't wait for the very detailed report!

Everyone has those thoughts. And tomorrow will take you on quite an emotional journey.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Peaking well for Feb,,,good luck tomo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

. I have to be honest with all you folks, my emotions have been all over the place as the unknown can be both exciting and scary. ...

Right, but time to put that aside at the start line. You can only swim/ride/run the current mile. Anything else is a distraction. You don't need luck - so best wishes !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Go have the most amazing day today !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Best of luck!

Race morning and shes on boards :)

Go get em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

1.04.40 for the swim

7th Overall woman (1st in Category)

Fantastic 1.04 swim from our girl.

Oryx wrote: »
    Fantastic 1.04 swim from our girl.

Looks like the swim was a tough one to with only one person under 55 min

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

ecoli wrote: »
    Looks like the swim was a tough one to with only one person under 55 min

was it non wetsuit?

Pmaldini wrote: »
    was it non wetsuit?

No, Wetsuits are allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Very good swim, interested to see can she keep herself at the business end of her AG and nab a cheeky Kona slot:)

Very good swim, interested to see can she keep herself at the business end of her AG and nab a cheeky Kona slot:)

A good 12 min ahead of the next competitor after the swim

Transition cost her a small bit in relation to the female's around here currently sitting in 9th overall.

Great to see her in the mix with the girls hopefully having them around her on the bike might help mentally

• Advertisement

No pros in this race, so no pro swim times.

Her first bike split is strong. Im already sniffing kona here!

Advertisement