Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You know the feeling pooped thing? Could be to do with swimming miles every day. Just sayin like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

^^^^ What she said ;-) Oryx is a very wise woman.

I suggest a proper honest-to-goodness rest day, I've just recently taken 2 rest days.....I must admit one was hangover induced but the other was for no reason at all, COMPLETE rest, I didn't even jump in the sea and I feel great now.

I'm really hoping you feel better soon, The Child of Prague is on overtime :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    You know the feeling pooped thing? Could be to do with swimming miles every day. Just sayin like...
    Marthastew wrote: »
    ^^^^ What she said ;-) Oryx is a very wise woman.

I suggest a proper honest-to-goodness rest day, I've just recently taken 2 rest days.....I must admit one was hangover induced but the other was for no reason at all, COMPLETE rest, I didn't even jump in the sea and I feel great now.

I'm really hoping you feel better soon, The Child of Prague is on overtime :-)

:eek: Double teamed by two A-list ladies whom I have immense respect for. :eek:

(You two aren't undercover for shotgun and his quest to retain top monthly swim mileage, are you? ;))

In my defense :o, the swimming I am doing at the moment is far from strenuous, in fact I would call it more therapeutic and medicinal (for the mind and body) than anything else. Probably what I really need is a complete day off from work!! And tell that Child of Prague we're nearly there - I go for my first "run" since Boston tomorrow. A mere 15 - 20 minute slow trot around the field. Whoop whoop!!! :)

I hear what youre saying about therapeutic, and sometimes the mind does need that. But rest days can have such a therapeutic effect too. At least I have found that.

Good luck with that run. Progress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Take a rest day from work so you don't have to give the training a break? I like your style!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek: Double teamed by two A-list ladies whom I have immense respect for. :eek:

(You two aren't undercover for shotgun and his quest to retain top monthly swim mileage, are you? ;))

:D shotgun's angel hoochies :D

Ah but in all seriousness, you should probably take a couple of days rest ( got similar advice all the way from the jogging forum in my own log.. Your spy?!).. ;)

:D shotgun's angel hoochies :D

Ah but in all seriousness, you should probably take a couple of days rest ( got similar advice all the way from the jogging forum in my own log.. Your spy?!).. ;)

Hmmm.....shotgun vs. dory swim effort/energy/speed at this particular moment is like comparing a mako shark to a beluga whale. ;) Point is, I feel I'm resting while I swim...whereas you're busting gut and stressing yourself.

Any way....I'm following boardsie orders to rest on this rainy Saturday (took a 2 hour nap with one very attentive kitty after arriving home from work)....and will keep it low key today. However, if this evening is drop dead gorgeous outside, then all bets are off the table.

Saturday, May 10th, 2014

Feeling better regarding my cold/flu, so after a long day of rest it was a beluga whale type of swim - translation: slow yet graceful :). I'm definitely not 100% healthy yet, but I've slept so much these last 4 days (Tuesday night got 10 hours rest, Wednesday night got 11.5 hours rest, Thursday night got 9.5 hours rest, Friday night got 8.5 hours rest, and today took a 2 hour nap :eek::eek::eek:) and I'm tired of sleeping, to be honest, so this swim was a low-stress easy activity for me. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;))

Any way....4 weeks to Eagleman. We'll see tomorrow if I can even run yet....and then there's the issue of the bike....not to mention that my overall fitness is probably in the toilet right now due to the double whammy of injury and illness. I'm hoping I'll have clarity of what to do about this race in the next two weeks. <grumble, grumble, grumble....>

Actual swim: 4,000 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck tomorrow.

But please ...patience!

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow.

But please ...patience!

With 100% sincerity, I promise. :)

(and good luck to you in your race tomorrow!!!!)

• Advertisement

Sunday, May 11th, 2014

As I write this post, I am sitting on my hammock by the pool in one of the most gorgeous evenings in recent history listening to Stevie Wonder, Barry White, Aretha Franklin, The Beatles, The Commitments, The Wood Brothers, UB-40, and an assortment of other "feel-good" artists singing an assortment of "feel-good" songs, channelling my inner dancer, and creating an inner smile that I haven't felt in quite an age.....reminding me that life can feel pretty damn good. :)

Run plan: 15 - 20 minutes handy

I sandwiched this little test run between two 20 minute sessions of yoga, and unfortunately even after 3 weeks of no running since Boston, my injury is still not totally healed. I did this super slow in my field, but pretty much from my very first foot plant I knew where I was. I could have stopped right then and there, but I decided what I was feeling wasn't bad enough to warrant not giving this a full attempt, so I did the entire test run, which was 3 laps around the field. Maybe next weekend will be better. Fingers crossed.

Actual run: ~2.1 very slow miles in the field

The rest of the day was pretty much spent in and around the pool.....overcompensating for what I can't do at the moment, and after some negotiating about what I can do the moment. (hi ecoli :)) Any way....no need to even talk about this swim....let's just say I had a little time on my hands....and a few targets in mind. At the right pace, I'm not really sure just how long I could swim. I think I could live in water....as long as I could listen to music under there. :)

Actual swim: 8,000 yards of pure heaven

Sunday, May 11th, 2014

As I write this post, I am sitting on my hammock by the pool in one of the most gorgeous evenings in recent history listening to Stevie Wonder, Barry White, Aretha Franklin, The Beatles, The Commitments, The Wood Brothers, UB-40, and an assortment of other "feel-good" artists singing an assortment of "feel-good" songs, channelling my inner dancer, and creating an inner smile that I haven't felt in quite an age.....reminding me that life can feel pretty damn good. :)

Run plan: 15 - 20 minutes handy

I sandwiched this little test run between two 20 minute sessions of yoga, and unfortunately even after 3 weeks of no running since Boston, my injury is still not totally healed. I did this super slow in my field, but pretty much from my very first foot plant I knew where I was. I could have stopped right then and there, but I decided what I was feeling wasn't bad enough to warrant not giving this a full attempt, so I did the entire test run, which was 3 laps around the field. Maybe next weekend will be better. Fingers crossed.

Actual run: ~2.1 very slow miles in the field

The rest of the day was pretty much spent in and around the pool.....overcompensating for what I can't do at the moment, and after some negotiating about what I can do the moment. (hi ecoli :)) Any way....no need to even talk about this swim....let's just say I had a little time on my hands....and a few targets in mind. At the right pace, I'm not really sure just how long I could swim. I think I could live in water....as long as I could listen to music under there. :)

Actual swim: 8,000 yards of pure heaven

Sorry the run did not pan out as hoped. Again as a rule it it causes pain - it's not a good idea. Still it sound like you are feeling a bit better ?

Btw.... I went to school with one of the commitments...so I've always had a fondness for that album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

8000 yards !

And she says it likes it's nothing. I feel inferior 😢

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Sorry the run did not pan out as hoped. Again as a rule it it causes pain - it's not a good idea. Still it sound like you are feeling a bit better ?

Btw.... I went to school with one of the commitments...so I've always had a fondness for that album

Disappointed about the run, but the injury is getting better. Was not really painful, it was more sore with a pulling sensation. And my cold/flu is greatly improved too. Happy days!

Wow....you were acquainted with one of the Commitments? Do you remember which one? Very cool! :)

P.S. I hope your race went well for you, even if it lacked the smooching from last year. ;)

:eek: 8,000yds flipping 'eck. OK you win already :rolleyes:

How long did that take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great to see you enjoying the swims Dory, keep 'em up. Here's a nice project for today:

How fast can you swim 438yards?

:eek: 8,000yds flipping 'eck. OK you win already :rolleyes:

Oh, I NEVER underestimate you. ;)
    Oryx wrote: »
    How long did that take?

Gosh, I didn't keep track to be honest, but it would have been in the neighborhood of 2 hours....probably a little over 2 hours.
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great to see you enjoying the swims Dory, keep 'em up. Here's a nice project for today:

How fast can you swim 438yards?

Well, I'm under orders to pull only, so your request to time myself for 21.9 lengths :confused:;) will have to wait a bit.

Monday, May 12th, 2014

Looks like this log should be moved to the swimming forum. Apologies for how boring this piece of real estate will be for a while, but until this injury is healed I'll be clinging to my speedo and googles for a bit of sanity.

Two swims today...a sneaky lunchtime swim of 2,000 yards, and an evening swim of 3,000 yards before a fast moving shower snuck up on me. I'm supposed to lay off the injured leg for a few days, so that meant pulling only and open turns using just my good leg to push off.

Actual swim for the day: 5,000 yards

Wow....you were acquainted with one of the Commitments? Do you remember which one? Very cool! :)

The singer on destination anywhere. She's had a very successful acting and music career (on BBC America these days) Of course she was one of the cool kids ....and I ...eh ...was a late developer!

These swimming totals are staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

8000 yards .... spot the accountant ;) swimming and counting - bliss for you imagine

Keep the pull buoy, those shoulders must be coming along nicely now - if you eat all your veg, and meat and keep it up you'll have shoulders as big as BTH when you grow up little twist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If you were a horse the farmer would have brought you around the back of the barn by now:) Hopefully you did not pick up that deadliest of viruses "man flu".

Hope that blasted injury heals up soon and you can get back to proper training soon, knowing the type of character you are it cannot be easy to not train!

If it is man flu my thoughts are with you and yours

Tuesday, May 13th, 2014

This was done between thunder, lightning and pelting rain. After being taunted by shotgun tonight (I've got your number, muffin man) I couldn't let a little electrical storm get in my way of some much needed yardage in the pool to soothe the 8,000m shaming. ;)

Actual swim: 4,000 thunderous yards

@pgmcpq - I LOVE that song! And "cool" is a relative term. ;)
    @interested - wow....good memory. :cool:
    @jb - injury is healing slowly, but if I were Oryx I'd avoid going anywhere near the back of that barn. :eek:
    @shotgun - the priest was thankfully called off when I began to rally. ;)

Wednesday, May 14th, 2014

A sneaky lunchtime swim of 2,000 yards....and then a post-work evening swim of 4,000 yards. The evening was gorgeous here...and I cranked up the tunes outside (not that I can even hear them while I'm swimming, but somehow it makes me feel like I'm having a party). Oh, and my frog is living large in the deck drain by the pool. Cute little rascal. I had to fish him out of the pool a few nights ago....not sure he really appreciated that.

Actual swim for the day: 6,000 yards

Friday, May 16th, 2014

I took yesterday as a rest day. :eek: First one in weeks, but to be honest with you, between the cold-rainy weather we had last night, and the fact that I'm still coughing and feeling a bit fatigued, I decided to come home from work last night and kick back on the couch in comfy clothes with the cats. And I don't regret it - I needed a night of nothingness. We all do from time to time.

Today was a two swim day - 3,000 sneaky lunchtime yards....and 3,000 sunset swim yards. I was still feeling pretty sluggish for the lunch swim, but thankfully had a little mojo for the evening swim. Never underestimate how much a cold or flu can take out of you because it's always more than you think. I feel like a broken record, but between my injury and this recent illness, these last 3 months have totally sucked for me. I better be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel soon!

Okay, so I've got a little run to do tomorrow. :eek: Months ago, I agreed to buddy-up with a young girl and run a 5k with her....it's a way to encourage and promote sport in girls and hopefully instill confidence in them....a few of my friends are doing this with me tomorrow. Fingers crossed my hip flexor and IT band hold up, and toes crossed my little charge is not having to drag me over the finish line instead of the other way around. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Friday, May 16th, 2014

I took yesterday as a rest day. :eek: First one in weeks, but to be honest with you, between the cold-rainy weather we had last night, and the fact that I'm still coughing and feeling a bit fatigued, I decided to come home from work last night and kick back on the couch in comfy clothes with the cats. And I don't regret it - I needed a night of nothingness. We all do from time to time.

Today was a two swim day - 3,000 sneaky lunchtime yards....and 3,000 sunset swim yards. I was still feeling pretty sluggish for the lunch swim, but thankfully had a little mojo for the evening swim. Never underestimate how much a cold or flu can take out of you because it's always more than you think. I feel like a broken record, but between my injury and this recent illness, these last 3 months have totally sucked for me. I better be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel soon!

Okay, so I've got a little run to do tomorrow. :eek: Months ago, I agreed to buddy-up with a young girl and run a 5k with her....it's a way to encourage and promote sport in girls and hopefully instill confidence in them....a few of my friends are doing this with me tomorrow. Fingers crossed my hip flexor and IT band hold up, and toes crossed my little charge is not having to drag me over the finish line instead of the other way around. :o

More couch time and fresh juices (lots of ginger ;) and really hope you enjoy your 5k - great idea and hopefully you guys get the weather for it.

Saturday, May 17th, 2014

Girls On The Run 5k

Pink and purple spray paint for the hair, check. Brightly colored beads and bangles, check. Funky dance music at the start, check. Oodles and oodles of excited little girls ready to run their first 5k race, check. :)

Girls On The Run is non-profit organization that is focused on promoting health, confidence and a sense of accomplishment in young girls. Our community got involved in this program a few months ago with approximately 20 girls meeting after school twice a week to run under the watchful eye of a few volunteers/coaches in preparation of this 5k....and more volunteers were recruited to run as a buddy for each girl. My young girl was 12 years old. :)

Okay, so let me fast forward to the finish line that we crossed 41 minutes after we crossed the start line. :o:eek::D Oh my....I didn't realize how hard it is to run so slow. :eek: But bless my little girl's heart, she did it. :) We started out at a decent "clip" for the first half mile, but soon after that I could hear her huffing and puffing so we s-l-o-w-e-d it way down. And then there were the hills, yikes, but I told her we needed to shorten our steps and use our arms, so we did...and we actually consistently passed others on the hills. Yay! But then by mile 2 it was obvious I was losing my girl fast, so we decided to do this fartlek style (also known as "fartage style" in some upper crust circles around here ;)) - we'd run to Point A, then walk to Point B...and so on. Worked a treat, and she learned a new term. As we neared the finish, I was giving her a real pep talk to inspire her so she'd be looking strong and fresh as we crossed the line with her family waiting with cameras at the ready to capture the special moment. She did great - she kicked it up a notch and had the biggest smile I had seen on her all morning. And she was delighted to have her finisher's medal placed around her neck - I really think she thought she had just won a gold in the Olympics. :) Brilliant day for her and her family as the pride was quite evident all the way around. And I enjoyed the festively decorated cupcakes in all shades of neon that were waiting for us.

The only negative of the day is that I lost a frickin' toenail after the race. wtf?? Really? Well, it's the same toenail I lost after last year's Boston marathon, and before this year's Boston marathon I knew it was suspect, so I guess this little 5k pushed it over the edge. Sayonara little nail. It was nice knowing ya. And my injured leg did okay. I could still feel the injury, but it's slightly better than it was a week ago when I ran, and it seemed to feel better the longer I ran on it today...so fingers crossed it feels fine in the morning, and that it continues to improve, even at this slow rate.

Actual run: 3.1 miles

This evening I got in a swim session....a therapeutic and good feeling 4,000 yards. I'm definitely getting my strength and energy back from last week's illness. Each day...moving forward and hopefully feeling better....patience is really a talent and a challenge, but I'm trying.

Actual swim: 4,000 yards

And I was sort of reminded about my yoga, stretching, and foam rolling....so I did about 30 minutes of all of that tonight. I need to make sure I set aside time each day to do a little of all of that. !!!!!

Nice job on the 5k - that a legacy that might last longer than any PB.

Toenails .. really what purpose do they server. Seriously if you continue to loose the same nail see if you are jamming that toe - for me I have found it very shoe specific.

• Advertisement

Sunday, May 18th, 2014

So, I measured my pool today. Not exactly sure why I did, but I did. And as I was stretching the 100 foot measuring tape along the edge of the pool I wondered if I'd regret doing this as ignorance is bliss, and if the results showed my pool was actually shorter than 20 yards (or 60 feet) then I'd be devastated. So with breath held (and thoughts of why the heck do I care and what really will that change?) I carried on with this task....and was very oddly pleased when the measuring tape showed 60 feet 3 inches as the distance from deep end to shallow end. :D Whew! And then the calculations started to fly in my head......3 extra inches per length, 30 extra inches per 200 yards, 1 extra yard per 240 yards..... I stopped short of calculating seconds-per-yard to determine my time adjustment. :rolleyes::o It's a curse, I tell ya!!!

Any way....chilly but sunny day. This swim was done as 6 x 1,000 yards (or more accurately, 6 x 1,004.167 yards :D) with generous breaks to putz about the pool in between the sets.

Actual swim: 6,000 yards (aka, 6,025 yards ;))

Hip was a little sore today from yesterday's run. It wasn't bad, but it was telling me it had done something....so tonight's yoga session was a feel-good stretch-fest...and the foam rolling done immediately after was perfect icing on the cake.

Advertisement