Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    Well done on not letting an ounce of self pity seep in here, anyway. You're hiding it well, if it is there at all.

There've been a few tough moments....in particular when I realized that I had jeopardized Eagleman - the race I've had my heart set on since last fall - and what's even tougher is to realize that had I tended to my injury when it happened (over 2 months ago), Eagleman would still be on the table. But crying over spilled milk will do you no good, so, the only thing I know to do is to try and salvage what I can from the situation and focus on making me a better and stronger athlete both mentally and physically. I'll never make this mistake again as it costs too much to ignore an injury....and I hope maybe this prevents someone who reads my log from making this same mistake too. It's not worth it. A day or two or three (or even a week) of rest is better than what I've been through and have tossed away. On a positive note, If there's a silver lining, it's that I'm more determined than ever in so many ways. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey there. :)
    Yes, actually I am....and just yesterday I cancelled the rest of my booked appointments with the PT. I do believe there is a place for holistic medicine (so please, I am not knocking that), but I just didn't see any real gains in what was being done to me. I honestly think rest, yoga, proper stretching and plenty of foam rolling is the cure for my hip flexor/IT band injuries. Fingers crossed, but in the hour I've been up getting ready for work, this may be my best morning yet regarding pain. Woo hoo!!! :)

And thanks about the swim mileage. I'm pouring myself into the pool at the moment to stave off self pity. ;)

On a scale of 1 to not very, how much do you mean/believe this statement?
    ;)

Green&Red wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to not very, how much do you mean/believe this statement?
    ;)

;) Well, some folks do believe quite passionately in holistic medicine, so perhaps part of their comfort and cure is in just believing. I do know for me in this situation I lacked belief, and all I could think about as I was laying on the table with hands resting gently on various places on my body for an hour under the guise of medicine was that both my insurance company and I were paying these people for this! :eek: ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hmm. I missed the bit about holistic therapy. Doesnt sound like what you need at all. My sports physio finds trigger points and makes me cry. Maybe that doesn't work either but Ill take it before laying of hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

;) Well, some folks do believe quite passionately in holistic medicine, so perhaps part of their comfort and cure is in just believing. I do know for me in this situation I lacked belief, and all I could think about as I was laying on the table with hands resting gently on various places on my body for an hour under the guise of medicine was that both my insurance company and I were paying these people for this! :eek: ;)

From what I've read on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Any chance of a plan-b A race ? Just to take the pressure off making a specific date ? Much better to vent a bit on the log than push before your ready. (Yes, yes .... we all _know_ but we all do it).

Holistic medicine - I'm a believer that too much medical practice addresses the symptoms but rarely take the time to identify the underlying causes ...... but if it's not working, it's not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Any chance of a plan-b A race ? Just to take the pressure off making a specific date ? Much better to vent a bit on the log than push before your ready. (Yes, yes .... we all _know_ but we all do it).

+1, makes a lot more sense to get fixed and target another race. (Doubt you'll do that though). Whatever about running Boston with a injury on a wing and a prayer, doing another endurance event expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

And holistic medicine? These are not the droids you are looking for. Pick an endurance swim, or shorter Tri, maybe, to test the injury first.

Holistic medicine - I'm a believer that too much medical practice addresses the symptoms but rarely take the time to identify the underlying causes ...... but if it's not working, it's not working.

I actually looked for another half iron distance race to target later this summer, but if I am sticking with the IronMan brand race, then the pickings are slim (think Muncie, Indiana, aka average America) ....and if I venture out to another "off" brand, nothing worked with my schedule or druthers. It's fine. I'll use this year to build and learn...but next year there's going to be some serious business going on here!

Traditional medicine - agreed. Sometimes the cause is overlooked and only the symptoms are treated, and that doesn't solve anything as you're just ignoring/masking the problem. But the technique being used on me to correct my injuries was way passive and just a little too voodoo magic for my liking. And maybe I am totally wrong and their hands really did untangle my ureter as I was told at one of my session last week :confused:, but I think I'll finish the healing process by following some common sense and with a little guidance from ecoli to determine when I'm ready to start running again.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    +1, makes a lot more sense to get fixed and target another race. (Doubt you'll do that though). Whatever about running Boston with a injury on a wing and a prayer, doing another endurance event expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

And holistic medicine? These are not the droids you are looking for. Pick an endurance swim, or shorter Tri, maybe, to test the injury first.

No worries about doing any more damage to my body - I've totally learned my lesson and am a devout believer that no race/training is worth what I have gone through.

With that being said, regarding Eagleman...I will either:

a) scratch the event all together....
    b) show up and do the swim portion only (interested's brilliant idea)....or..
    c) show up and attempt to do the entire event ONLY if I am 100% healed (and I do mean 100%!!!) not as a race (translation - slow and easy, and with permission to bail at any point along the way if I am not comfortable) as I am not in any kind of race shape at this point, but rather to gain experience and knowledge of this course as I intend to target it again next year.

No decision will be made for another few weeks. Eagleman is 4 weeks from Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

b) show up and do the swim portion only (interested's brilliant idea)....or..

When they were handing out genes I reckon he skipped the rugged good looks line and went for second helping of Smarts. Great idea:)

• Advertisement

really did untangle my ureter as I was told at one of my session last week :confused:,.

Dear god ....:eek::eek::eek:.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    When they were handing out genes I reckon he skipped the rugged good looks line and went for second helping of Smarts. Great idea:)

Well, interested is pretty damn adorable in my book. ;)

And I KNEW you'd be all over that swim idea. :D

Dear god ....:eek::eek::eek:.

I know!!!!!

Tuesday, May 6th, 2014

I'm trying to come down with the creeping crud - body achey, chesty cough, sniffly nose, skin crawling. :( But it would have been a sin not to spend some time outside in the pool on one of the most gorgeous evenings we've had here in an age. So...it was a very slow and simple swim while I counted down the yards until I could hop out of the pool and get ready for bed. I'm there now....nighty night folks!

Actual swim: 3,000 achey-creepy-crawly yards

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

b) show up and do the swim portion only (interested's brilliant idea).....

As a relay??

If I didn't have obligations that weekend I'd be there for the run. You have a cyclist already.

As a relay??

If I didn't have obligations that weekend I'd be there for the run. You have a cyclist already.

:) I don't think this event allows relays, but a fantastic idea if they did and if you were free.

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014

I just can't catch a break around here. :(:mad: Just as my injury is getting better and I am much more comfortable walking and moving about, I come down with a super-sized dose of a cold/flu that has left me feverish, achey and pretty much downright miserable. :(:mad: I managed to squeeze in a lunchtime swim of 2,000 yards before this bug decided to unleash it's entire wrath on me, but that's it for me today. Going to try and sleep this off. !!!!

Actual swim: 2,000 yards

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014

I just can't catch a break around here. :(:mad: Just as my injury is getting better and I am much more comfortable walking and moving about, I come down with a super-sized dose of a cold/flu that has left me feverish, achey and pretty much downright miserable. :(:mad: I managed to squeeze in a lunchtime swim of 2,000 yards before this bug decided to unleash it's entire wrath on me, but that's it for me today. Going to try and sleep this off. !!!!

Actual swim: 2,000 yards

Gawd ... Did you break any mirrors recently ?

The upside is that this has happened at a time you should be letting the leg heal so a couple of days inactivity might be just what the doctor ordered.
    I know this goes against every instinct you have, but this bear might be too big to wrestle. Retreat, regroup and live to fight another day. And yes this means a few days put of the pool. Until you feel better - no cheating!

It miserable but it will pass. Meanwhile time for Norris to earn his nip.

Gawd ... Did you break any mirrors recently ?

The upside is that this has happened at a time you should be letting the leg heal so a couple of days inactivity might be just what the doctor ordered.
    I know this goes against every instinct you have, but this bear might be too big to wrestle. Retreat, regroup and live to fight another day. And yes this means a few days put of the pool. Until you feel better - no cheating!

It miserable but it will pass. Meanwhile time for Norris to earn his nip.

No mirrors have been broken ;)....but this has been a horrible 10 weeks for me. Character building, dad would have said. Any way....yes, time to rest. Today may have to be another day spent on land, kicked back in my PJs. As soon as I get home from 11 hours of work, that is.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This too, will pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

somewhere MCOS is putting down his dory voodoo doll, laughing as his monthly swim total title is safe for another month.

seriously though, hope this passes quickly, nothing worse than being sick. on the bright side, you got about 3 weeks swimming done in a couple of days there so not like you are behind:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Speedy recovery

Thursday, May 8th, 2014

Woke up feeling like death warmed over...and, as I got dressed for work, I could only think about sneaking home at some point in the day to get a nap in. A bribery of sorts to force myself out the door. :( However, sometime around midmorning my meds must've kicked in because I started to feel slightly human again. hallelujah, praise the lord...and can I get an "amen" from the little girl in the back pew?! Whew. I'm still not 100%, but I believe I will make it. :)

So, because I was feeling much better, I figured there'd be no harm in a medicinal swim this evening. (hello, pgmcpq :o) Water felt great on my body, and I kept things super easy. Actually, I kept things embarrassingly slow...but I enjoyed it. I was definitely tired at the end of the swim (and still sniffling, coughing, slightly achey....), and will hit the hay early for the third night in a row with two cats in tow. Which begs the question, are both Norris and Butler earning their nip? I couldn't ask for two better nurse-aids! :)

Actual swim: 4,000 handy yards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Amen!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hi Dory Dory,

just wondering if you were able to try the aquajogging with the injury you have or did you have to knock it on the head for a while?

oh! and a couple of hot whiskeys and off to bed for yourself and that nasty cold will be sorted:)

hallelujah, praise the lord...and can I get an "amen" from the little girl in the back pew?!

Hallelujah, and I say unto you, brothers and sisters ... the lame will run again .... the infirm shall ride ... the disease ridden shall rise and swim once more .... and ... I say unto you ...the ungodly.... yes, the ungodly, competition shall be smote down the placings with much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I figured there'd be no harm in a medicinal swim this evening ....4,000 ....yards

:eek::rolleyes:

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Hi Dory Dory,

just wondering if you were able to try the aquajogging with the injury you have or did you have to knock it on the head for a while?

oh! and a couple of hot whiskeys and off to bed for yourself and that nasty cold will be sorted:)

Hello there! :)

I dabbled in the aquajogging just a little bit, but I was never really "encouraged" by anyone assisting me through this recovery time to get into it wholeheartedly....instead, I was encouraged to swim. And that's what I've been doing. Swimming. However.....:D.....I have been given the green light to try a very short and handy trot around the field on Sunday. Yay!!! Fingers crossed all goes well.

Hallelujah, and I say unto you, brothers and sisters ... the lame will run again .... the infirm shall ride ... the disease ridden shall rise and swim once more .... and ... I say unto you ...the ungodly.... yes, the ungodly, competition shall be smote down the placings with much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Wow. You're good....I mean, really good! In fact, tell me where your next Sunday sermon gig is and I'll be there with a few extra amen brothers to offer up, and a pair of running shoes just in case. :D
    :eek::rolleyes:

I know. But you already knew that!!!! :o

• Advertisement

Friday, May 9th, 2014

I'm just keeping it simple while I'm battling this bug. (Feeling much better but still sputtering and sniffling and pretty pooped.) Two swims today - a sneaky lunchtime 2,000 yard swim, then a post-work evening 4,000 yard swim before the dark clouds and storm moved in. !!!

Actual swim total for the day: 6,000 yards

Advertisement