Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Re the added muscles - you just need to change your idea of what beauty is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Running in the tank?!? I salute your crazy ingenuity. Ask your friend to get a second tank, and you can play water polo together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Tuesday, April 8th, 2014

Fish Tank Swim

Two wave cycles, and I felt really quite strong in the water tonight. Not sure if it's that I'm eating better and/or catching a smidge more shuteye, but the vague feeling of fatigue that has been so familiar as of recent vanished for these 66 minutes of stroking with my friend the pull buoy. Hopped in the hot tub immediately afterwards. Ain't life grand.

Actual swim: ~3,000 meters in the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Wow, fantastic bike! Congratulations Dory, and enjoy racing on it, it looks sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Tuesday, April 8th, 2014

Fish Tank Swim

Two wave cycles, and I felt really quite strong in the water tonight. Not sure if it's that I'm eating better and/or catching a smidge more shuteye, but the vague feeling of fatigue that has been so familiar as of recent vanished for these 66 minutes of stroking with my friend the pull buoy. Hopped in the hot tub immediately afterwards. Ain't life grand.

Actual swim: ~3,000 meters in the tank

3k on a swim treadmill ?! :eek:

• Advertisement

Brought to you by the woman who does 3.5 hours on a turbo. Tough or mad, I can't decide.

Oryx wrote: »
    Brought to you by the woman who does 3.5 hours on a turbo. Tough or mad, I can't decide.

And I don't think anything of running in my field for 3 hours. :o I like repetition.

Wednesday, April 9th, 2014

Another sneaky lunchtime yoga session and foam rolling. And then....after work...

Swim

Yep. Another 66 minutes of action-packed aquatic fun!! Whoop whoop!!! ....stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe, stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe....

<yawn>

Okay, so maybe it wasn't so much action-packed fun, but it was aquatic, and it felt good. Dipped my toes in the hot tub post swim. Loving that hot tub!

Actual swim: two wave cycles for ~3,000 meters in the fish tank

Thursday, April 10th, 2014

Sneaky lunchtime yoga and foam rolling......and had some company on the mat in the form of my very limber and showoff cat, Norris. He's quite pushy and piggish about sharing space.

Swim

Yet another shoulder expanding tank swim. At this rate, my body shape will negate any high priced Black Cat aerodynamics. :rolleyes:;) All good.

Actual swim: 2 wave cycles, ~3,000 meters in the fish tank

http://statistik.d-u-v.org/getintbestlist.php?dist=50km&year=2014&gender=W

About this ^^^ I look forward to seeing you age ranked #1 next year......

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    http://statistik.d-u-v.org/getintbestlist.php?dist=50km&year=2014&gender=W

About this ^^^ I look forward to seeing you age ranked #1 next year......

I'll try if you try! ;):D

Friday, April 11th, 2014

I ended this week as I began it....

Sneaky lunchtime yoga and foam rolling....

...followed by....

Swim

....in da tank....one wave....

....then a dip in the hot tub. :)

Actual swim: ~1,500 meters in one wave cycle

Saturday, April 12th, 2014

NEWS FLASH!!!! THE TEMPERATURE IN DORY'S POOL HAS REACHED ACCEPTABLE LEVELS. FIRST OPEN WATER SWIM HAS TAKEN PLACE, AND IT WAS LONGER THAN 90 SECONDS!!
    take that Mr. Godel!!! ;)

Swim

Yep, that's right...yours truly was donning her very bright and perky Speedo today in the out of doors under the sunshine while warming her bare feet on the toasty brick deck in preparation for the business at hand - the traditional opening day cannonball into the deep end of the pool in honor of our very own swimming star, interested. It was a spectacular image of grace - the skill, the tuck, the pointed toes, the splash...the goosebumps. :D

Then it was down to business....to see if I could still swim in a conventional pool, and to see if I remembered how to kick with my legs. Yep and yep. All good....but it was a bit strange feeling at first, however I settled right into normal quite quickly. There definitely is a difference in feel between an endless pool and a regular pool. I like my pool better.....especially on a sunshiny day like today. :) I just did a simple 10 x 200 yard free set - no fuss no muss. Easy peasy.

Actual swim: 2,000 yards (yes, we are back to logging my swim in yards)

Sunday, April 13th, 2014

Swim

Today was a super gorgeous day here, and I took full advantage of it by putting in two swims in my pool. :D One in the morning (which was a nice change since 98% of all of my swims take place as the sun is setting and not as the sun is coming up), and one in the evening.

The morning session was all kick - 5 sets of 200 yards, done as 40 yards each of free, breast, free, breast, free. I did this all kick session because I didn't want goggle marks around my eyes since I was being interviewed in the afternoon by the local tv station about the Boston marathon. Goggle marks always make us swimmers look ragged and tired! Not that we're not ragged and tired, mind you....

The evening session was as follows -
    5 x (200 modified IM, 120 kick (free/breast/free))
    5 x (120 kick (free/breast/free), 200 modified IM)

Basically, did each of the 5 sets continuously, only taking a break in between the two 5 sets at the halfway point. It feels very good to be back in my pool.

Total swim for the day: 4,200 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I do like the Black Cat, nice bike. The nutrition box reminds me of a beluga whale... but apart from that...

Monday, April 14th, 2014

Lunchtime yoga and foam rolling...then...

Swim

....as the sun was setting behind the mountains to the west, and while the wind blew in a change in weather, an evening swim took place in my comfy warm pool. I did a simple 2,000 yard straight swim that felt really, really good, then I slowed it down and lengthened my stroke/glide and did 1,200 with the pull buoy. I am impressed with the value of the endless pool and how it gave me a jump on my season. If not for the fish tank, I'd just be starting my swim training...and with Eagleman only 8 weeks away, that would not have been ideal.

Actual swim: 3,200 yards

8 weeks? God this year is flying by!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hi Dory,
    Haven't seen any mention of Boston lately. Is that still happening on Monday? If so, you looking forward to it?

P.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hi Dory,
    Haven't seen any mention of Boston lately. Is that still happening on Monday? If so, you looking forward to it?

P.

Hey there P. :)

Yep. Boston is still on...I leave Saturday. My training/taper has been a bit unconventional for the last 10 days, and there is a reason for that. I will explain later, but right now I'm off to have a little work done on my leg....which should be a little clue to my unconventional training as of late.

Thanks for checking in on me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Turbo jets??

Happy tax day !

The swimming is a stealth taper I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oh no, not the dreaded "I" word.

Hope you're ok for the weekend.

In response to P's inquiry about Boston....
    Yes, Boston is still on.
    Yes, looking forward to it.
    But, these last 10 days (in particular) have been....well....
    Ugh.

Long story short....I came down with an injury (right adductor) about 6 weeks ago but thought I could work around it even though I was advised immediately by ecoli to mind it (translation: rest) and to have it looked at properly by someone. Do you think I did either of those things? Heck no! You see, I have a training plan to keep with races in "x" number of weeks, and I have no time to waste. Plus, in my mind it wasn't "that" bad. :rolleyes::o So, I kept training....and I was fooling myself into thinking that the injury was improving, even though at times I do think it was trying to heal. However, new issues arose along the way - IT band, knee, and quad involvement...not to mention my other leg was being compromised. Finally, the last straw was a week ago Sunday - a 15.5 mile run at a pace that was faster than prescribed (not that the pace was the cause). Body was good and broken at that point - clarity had been achieved. :( I haven't run since.

After "chats" with ecoli, it was decided I'd suspend any running/cycling until further notice, but instead I'd swim, foam roll, and do yoga. He reminded me that with 2 weeks to go to Boston, the work had been done, and as long as I kept things ticking over I should be fine. Part of me knows he's telling me that because he's a class act and class "coach", and he is putting a positive spin on a less than ideal situation....and I thank him for that. But the other part of me knows I screwed up. These last 10 days have been hard physically (with pain that made it tough to even walk at times), and emotionally (with serious thoughts of not even making it to the startline in Hopkinton).....but I am finally seeing/feeling real improvement (especially in the last 48 hours! amazing what following sound directions can do for the body!), so I am thinking I will make it to the start and finish lines yet! :) I won't be coming home with any shiny new pb, but that's not really what's important for this year in Boston.

This injury has taught me a lesson - and I've made mistakes that I won't make again. And perhaps this injury has some positives, such as: it has allowed me to put in much needed pool time, forced me to do more yoga with a focus on quality/core/control, given me serious reason to get really familiar with the foam roller and its benefits, and will compel me to mind my injury/body in Boston with my eyes firmly set on Eagleman. As they say, when a door closes, a window opens. ;)

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Turbo jets??

Happy tax day !

The swimming is a stealth taper I hope.

Happy tax day to you! I filed mine yesterday! :D

And we'll see if the "s" in swimming stands for stealth. This has been an unusual taper to say the least!
    BTH wrote: »

Hope you're ok for the weekend.

I'm on the mend. thank god!

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :)

Turbo jets??

Happy tax day !
    BTH wrote: »

I is for Intuit, infallibly involving irate IRS inspections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Off topic ... I've just found out I can not post here from the office so this is my old codger attempt off the phone with glasses perched on nose.

There are times the sunny disposition is a disadvantage !

I wouldn't second guess your coach but while it's not great news timing wise it is not too bad... Work is already done ...and it forces you to really taper.

You are right- special week in Boston- they just dropped 3 of 4 against the Yankees !!

Off topic ... I've just found out I can not post here from the office so this is my old codger attempt off the phone with glasses perched on nose.

There are times the sunny disposition is a disadvantage !

I wouldn't second guess your coach but while it's not great news timing wise it is not too bad... Work is already done ...and it forces you to really taper.

You are right- special week in Boston- they just dropped 3 of 4 against the Yankees !!

Sunny disposition....I know. Denial, denial, denial. :(

Timing of the injury....I guess we'll find out in less than 6 days. :eek:

Tuesday, April 15th, 2014

Cold and rainy....and sleet and snow tonight. :eek::eek::eek: So, I took that as a sign to stay warm and safe in the house doing yoga, core, and foam rolling. My poor pool. The temperature has dropped to a frigid 75 degrees Fahrenheit. And my SBR numbers are really going to be in the toilet this month.....but honestly I'd trade all my mileage in SBR for a sound body that is ready to get back to work next Wednesday when I return from Boston if that's what it would take.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Cold and rainy....and sleet and snow tonight. :eek::eek::eek: So, I took that as a sign to stay warm and safe in the house doing yoga, core, and foam rolling. My poor pool. The temperature has dropped to a frigid 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

=24˚Centigrade, which is practically the temperature we brew tea in this part of the world;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great to hear you are on the mend!

Advertisement