Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014

Run plan: 5 miles easy AM.....5 miles steady PM

Did the first 5 miles sneaky lunchtime style in shorts and a t-shirt under some very welcome sunshine in my field. Didn't bother with the Garmin - I prefer these easy runs to just be about having them feel easy and not about me competing with the clock...and I know the distance in the field, so it works perfectly!

Went slow....a little creaky for the first few miles, then things felt much better once I was all warmed up. Did 8 revolutions around the field...so that equaled....

Actual run AM: 5.6 field miles

Did the second run of the day down at the track after work. I've put in some mileage in the field recently - slow mileage, mind you - and I had a need for some easy terrain tonight, something that would reassure me that running does not always feel like I'm dragging myself around by my feet. And this did the trick....but, well, it was a wee bit too fast. However, in my defense, the track always registers faster than reality, so perhaps we can add a good 20 seconds to each mile to adjust for inaccuracies.

And, also in my defense, I had company on the track for miles 2, 3, and 4 - my fastest 3 miles of the run. Company in the form of a local law enforcement officer who is a friend and a running rival.....and once he stepped on the track, my pace shot right up without me intending on it or realizing it. :o Oops. And funny thing, as soon as he left the track, my pace went back down. Damn that competitive streak!!!

And while I'm placing blame elsewhere for my pace being too hot, I was sporting a brand new pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 17s that I'm pretty confident also contributed to my undisciplined pace. ;) I liked the shoes. I'm usually an Asics Nimbus gal, but I wanted to try something new, and these are lighter than the Nimbus, so I thought I'd give them a whirl. The first 5 miles were a two thumbs up.

7:26, 6:58, 7:03, 7:10, 7:22

Actual run PM: 5.15 miles in 37:12:00 for an average pace of 7:13 min/mile (but if adjusted for track/Garmin inaccuracies, probably closer to 7:33 min/mile...which would still be about 20 to 30 seconds too fast....:(:o)
    ~~~~~~~~~

Swim

From the track to the fish tank I went with pull buoy in hand....and one wave cycle of good upper body/arm/stroke work done. The only thing I don't like about swimming is the muscle it can add to the shoulders. Distance running never has had that effect on me.

Actual: ~1,500 meters in the tank

Thursday, April 3rd, 2014

Swim

:eek: As soon as I rolled back the cover on the fish tank I suspected by the looks of the water that there was a little problem here.....and as soon as I hopped in the tank and slipped on the bottom of the slippery pool floor my suspicions were further confirmed - no chlorine in the the tank!!! :eek: Ah well....what harm, right? I did my swim in the cloudy water, then dumped a load of liquid Clorox into the pool. That should do it!

Actual swim: one wave cycle in scanky water, ~1,500 murky meters
    ~~~~~~~~~

Bike plan: 1 hour easy with 30 second surges every 5 minutes

Did this immediately post-swim, and honestly not too much to say about it. I did notice that my power and cadence both increased (for the most part) for both the surges and the easy as I got warmed up and into a groove. Probably the most distressing significant thing of the evening that is bike related is once again my data will not magically upload to my Garmin account. Apparently there is an issue with my phone and my Edge 510 recognizing each other. I reinstalled the Garmin Connect mobile app on my phone and tried re-pairing, but no go. Funny that this started after being at my bike shop, and maybe there is no correlation, but I'll be giving Garmin support a call tomorrow to get this sorted.

30 second surges below as avg power/max power/normalized power (not totally sure why normalized power is so much lower than average power unless it's due to the short length of time of each set???)....

#1 - 177w/244w/140w
    #2 - 194w/250w/157w
    #3 - 229w/313w/184w
    #4 - 234w/320w/187w
    #5 - 233w/299w/185w
    #6 - 225w/250w/176w
    #7 - 240w/305w/193w
    #8 - 251w/305w/197w
    #9 - 250w/305w/200w
    #10 - 249w/308w/196w

Actual bike: ~16 miles in an hour, as prescribed above

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The only thing I don't like about swimming is the muscle it can add to the shoulders.
    I love muscley shoulders! Heathen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    I love muscley shoulders! Heathen!

Why doesn't swimming give me muscles shoulders :(

BTH wrote: »
    Pics. Let us be the judge.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Pics. Let us be the judge.

I'm not sure I could do that to you. You'll need your sunglasses!!

Which reminds me, do you still have my pink dumbbells? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Dory Dory wrote: »

If he has, he hasn't been using them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm not sure I could do that to you. You'll need your sunglasses!!

Plus I've seen more meat on a chickens forehead!

@the hoochies, I've shoulders enough to drape you both over and carry you up some stairs, but alas I'm taken ;)

@the hoochies, I've shoulders enough to drape you both over and carry you up some stairs, but alas I'm taken ;)

You're killing me!!! ;):)

• Advertisement

Friday, April 4th, 2014

Was supposed to do a run, but I got the clear from the running boss to take a rest day. The body just needed a moment.

Saturday, April 5th, 2015

Bike plan: 2.5 hours easy, +/- 30 minutes

Ah, another nice windy day! Can't a girl trying out her new bike catch a break around here?? Harrumph! Well, at least I am getting in some very good practice in case Eagleman is windy, as it is advertised. And the sun was out, so that's always a plus. But this ride was just about time in the saddle and getting comfortable and confident on The Black Cat, and both goals were accomplished. I didn't risk drinking on the go as it was too windy for that at this stage of my learning curve, but I spent some quality time down on (in?) the bars and actually preferred that to conventional cycling - seems easier from an energy expense standpoint and I stayed upright. :D

It was a liesurely ride with plenty of starts and stops to keep things in the easy, such as - met a friend on the road and had a chat and showed off my bike to him, came across a very sweet dog and stopped to give him a pat on the head and to tell him he better run on home but to look both ways before he crosses the road, saw dear sweet Mrs. Burner with a car load of groceries so I helped her carry them in to her house and reluctantly turned down her offer to make me a turkey sandwich, and had several turn-arounds since I was sticking to my safe road and doing out-and-backs.

Here's the link...not too impressive, but again the goal for me was to enjoy the ride and enjoy The Cat. Both boxes ticked. :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/473995248

Actual bike: 40.35 miles in 2:16:05 (average moving pace was 18 mph)

Arrived back home and decided to get a session of yoga in. Wow. It's been a very long time since I've done a proper session of yoga, and boy did I need it!! I forget how valuable yoga is to athletes, and I reallyreallyreally need to make more time for it. I also did some much needed foam rolling. These are two things that don't have to take a lot of time, but can benefit the body (and performance) in so many ways. Their return on investment is pretty dang up there! :)

And I have a few pics of The Black Cat, but I'm not sure exactly how to post a pic. I know how to link the pic if I'm on my computer at work (you don't see the pic on my log, but you go to it via the link), but I don't know how to post the pic (without the link) on my log here. If there are any suggestions, let me know....otherwise I'll link it when I get to the clinic.

Upload the pic to a hosting site and then embed it in your post by wrapping [img][/img] tags around the url.

What is a hosting site?

What is a hosting site?

Tinypic is the only one I can think of offhand. A place to upload photos for online storage or so that you can link to them from other places like this.

I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks.

Saturday, April 6th, 2014

Run plan: 2 hours at MP + 20 seconds (or, per ecoli, 7:50 min/mile)

I think ecoli must have "adjusted" my MP + 20 seconds for my "Garmin inaccuracies" to come up with 7:50 min/mile, because my PB MP is 7:40 min/mile. ;) Ah, but if only he had told me to target 8:00 min/mile. :o

Any way....I'll keep this short as I've housekeeping to do today and no time to muck about.....

Gorgeous day....started out with my new Mizunos on (I usually wear Asics).....felt awful for the first 3 miles.....really awful for the first 3 miles....to the point that I really started to question "things"......then decided to run back to the car and change into my Asics that I had with me "just in case"....have no idea if it was psychological, or if it was the shoes, or if it was just the body finally warming up, but I immediately felt better after changing into my Asics and the pace picked up with ease...next 5 or so miles felt the best....the next 5 or so miles felt so-so....and decided once I hit 15 miles that I would use the remaining time left to cool down.

This run was okay....a little faster than prescribed.....and I'd say the run actually looks better on paper than it was in reality, so no one get all googly-eyed at the paces.

7:35, 7:48, 8:00, 7:36, 7:32
    7:36, 7:32, 7:35, 7:35, 7:41
    7:38, 7:40, 7:39, 7:40, 7:37
    5:22 (10:20)

Actual run: 15.5 miles in 2:00:07 for an average pace of 7:45 min/mile

Upon arriving back home post run, I immediately popped in my post-run yoga dvd and did that session. Again, yoga, yoga, yoga seems to agree with my body. I really must take the time. :)

Now, dirty floors and laundry await me!!!!

pgibbo wrote: »
    If he has, he hasn't been using them :pac:
    Plus I've seen more meat on a chickens forehead!

You lot would give a man a complex.

And there'll be no photos of my bony torso or shoulders on this or any log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

skinny-kid2.jpg

How do you keep getting photos from my childhood??

interested wrote: »
    skinny-kid2.jpg

Yep, that's you alright! I believe I remember you striking that same "happy" pose in McGrattans.

• Advertisement

And in keeping with the theme of Photo-Monday...

Let me introduce to you, The Black Cat....

:D

The Black Cat.jpg

The Very Aero Black Cat.jpg

2uzusnp.jpg

314t8qx.jpg

Its fully armed and ready for battle! I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Christ thats a beast of a bike - perhaps the Black Panther might be more apt

The bottle holders out the back, can you still access Treks own aero holder underneath - and I havent seen that Garmin holder either, what is it, I am in the market for something like that myself

Not too many spacers either from what I can see - a nice aggressive looking position - well wear my friend!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

finally the pics. looking good!!

one question though, is the computer mounted very high? can you see it while in the aero position?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

serious looking weapon there Dory Dory, best of luck with it and enjoy the speed

catweazle wrote: »
    Christ thats a beast of a bike - perhaps the Black Panther might be more apt

The bottle holders out the back, can you still access Treks own aero holder underneath - and I havent seen that Garmin holder either, what is it, I am in the market for something like that myself

Not too many spacers either from what I can see - a nice aggressive looking position - well wear my friend!

When I was thinking of pink trim, I had The Pink Panther in mind for the name. ;)

Yes, you can still access the aero holder/box underneath the water bottles - I immediately asked that question (and had them show me) when I saw the configuration on my bike. Funny, Trek shows another behind-the-seat option on their website that I wanted - box and bottle holder all in one system - but when we contacted Trek they said it was still in the design phase and not on the market yet. Oh, and they said I was the first person who had inquired about it! :o

The Garmin is attached to the bottle cage (bottle cage is by Bontrager, is made for the Speed Concept, and comes with a special mount to attach to bottle cage to seat the Garmin, but that added even more height that I did not want to the Garmin so we just used those ties that cinch down) - but lots of options to attach the Garmin to the bike. Before I added the bottle cage on the bars, the Garmin was attached with bands that came with the 510 - was slick.

I will wear her like the little black dress she is. :)
    mossym wrote: »
    finally the pics. looking good!!

one question though, is the computer mounted very high? can you see it while in the aero position?

Yes, the computer is mounted quite high....and I discussed my concerns with my bike shop peeps as they were installing it, however I told the fellas I'd give it a try. I'm not sold. I can only see it if I sit up and look down....so I think I may have to explore other options. (note to self: write Kyle, Collin and Tim at the bike shop today!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sweet machin Dory. Best of luck with the Black Cat!!! :cool:

Monday, April 7th, 2014

I did something I've never done before - sneaky lunchtime yoga. It was great. The yoga sessions I do are only 20-some minutes long, so it's a snap to do in this window if I don't have anything else penciled in. :)

Swim

Because my pool is still too cold for this *cough* delicate body of mine, and because I am not near as daft as Kurt ;), I did this in the safe confines of the fish tank. One wave cycle...all arms. I swear my shoulders are getting bigger. Good god, I'm going to look like a freak of nature if I'm not careful - huge thighs from cycling, wide shoulders from swimming. Not going to win any beauty pageants at this rate.

Actual swim: ~1,500 meters in da tank
    ~~~~~~~~~

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

I decided to do this "aqua" style....so I dug out my very old aqua aerobics shoes (thank you, Oryx, for reminding me! :D) and "ran" in the fish tank post swim. I wasn't really sure what to do, so I just sort of made it up as I went along - I jogged into the wave, around the perimeter of the pool, and even tried my hand at jogging backwards into the wave. :confused: But mainly I stood directly in front of the wave and leaned into it like I was running uphill and pretended to run, even pumping the arms underwater. I have to admit, other than being slightly bored, it was a pretty good workout.

Actual aqua run: one wave cycle, ~3 miles??

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Holy sh##, that's a beast! Awesome!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What a bike!! Well wear Dory. Enjoy the many successes you are going to have on that cat.

As for your aqua fish tank running, thanks for the laugh, I can imagine what you must have looked like running in all directions. We really are a crazy bunch :D

Advertisement