Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Monday, March 3rd, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles recovery (specifically, slow as Christmas ;))

Holy mackerel did my body take a beating over the weekend. Actually, the last two weeks have been pretty jam packed with tough, quality sessions that accumulated and peaked on Sunday...so I was doing a little jig all day knowing that this evening's plan called for something reminscient of an ice cream sundae with lots of warm, gooey chocolate and plenty of fresh whipped cream. In other words, this recovery went down slow and smooth. And because we had snow and ice that started early, early this morning and did not end until mid-afternoon, it was treadie time tonight.

Dabbled in some stretching, core, foam rolling and yoga after the 4 miles....but the house kitties must've had other pressing obligations on their agenda for they were nowhere to be found when the yoga mat came out. :(

Actual: 4 slow recovery miles while trying to sing like the chick from The Civil Wars (she has a better voice but I have better moves!)

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014

Bike plan: spin 45 minutes easy

The best way to ensure an athlete will abide by the plan on a step back week is to wear their @ss out the two weeks prior. My @ss is worn out. I am abiding. I am thankful for this reduction in work. Hail to my caretakers.

Stretching, core, foam rolling, and some yoga were the extras du jour.

All good in the hood.

Actual: 11.86 easy peasy miles in 45 minutes

Wednesday, March 5th, 2014

Run plan: AM, 5 miles easy......PM, 5 miles easy

Done and done.

The typical add-ons of stretching, core, foam rolling and yoga were added-on with Norris-da-cat in attendance.

The bike shop rang....looks like it's Christmas again in Dory-land. A little bit of a snag, though - wheel decals weren't quite what I ordered....and they don't make what I wanted for my size wheels, so I may look into special ordering what I want for the pop I'm looking for. It's never easy, is it?? ;):)

Actual: 5 miles AM, 5 miles PM....done on my trusty treadie due to annoying ice and snow laying about on the streets and sidewalks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The bike shop rang....looks like it's Christmas again in Dory-land.

Oooooh, new bike time?

pointer28 wrote: »
    Oooooh, new bike time?

It is. :)

• Advertisement

Thursday, March 6th, 2014

Bike plan: spin easy for an hour with 6 x 15 sec sprints with full recovery

I got up at ridiculous o'clock, way before the sun was even thinking about making an appearance, to knock this session out because it was my intention to get a swim in this evening. :)

About all I'll say about this session is....blech!!! Oh baby, I am so not a get-up-before-the-rooster-crows-and-throw-on-my-bike-shorts-and-hop-on-my-trainer-and-ride kind of gal. Blech. This body needs a little more than 5 minutes between laying prone and pushing gears. But I got it done, which freed my dance card to swim after work. :)

Actual: 15.25 sleepy miles in an hour
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Swim!!!!!!!

Whoop whoop!! Headed out to my friend's house immediately after work, hoping his narrow and winding road up the mountain to his house was clear enough from all the snow and ice for me to pass. Happy days, it was in pretty good shape, and the snow from his driveway to the house wasn't too deep either! And if life couldn't get any better, the pool's water temp wasn't horribly freezing cold, it was just take-your-breath-away chilly. :D

Ah, but the endless pool. That undersized body of water with the crazy current that tosses you about and makes you work to stay in one place. The endless pool that you don't go anywhere in. The endless pool that makes me wonder if it really is all that endless? :confused:

Endless or not, I got 30+ minutes in tonight and it was actually pretty good. I used my pull buoy for most of this session, but I did briefly revisit conventional freestyle (kick and all) to see whether or not the sensation of the current pushing my legs down was a fleeting aberration...and sadly my legs were indeed being pushed down by the current without the pull buoy, so back with the pull buoy between the legs. I concentrated on my weak upper body...working my arms and trying to stay strong...employing increased effort as the session wore on. I am way behind on my swimming fitness (would hate to have to race Kurt right now!!! I'd be eating his bubbles!! ;)), but I am so grateful I have this endless pool option to give me a tiny jump on April when my pool opens. Yay!! :)

Actual: ~1,500 endless meters in ~30 minutes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

It is. :)

pics or GTFU:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cmon DD, some pics of your new weapon please. :cool: Best of luck with it!

mossym wrote: »
    pics or GTFU:)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Cmon DD, some pics of your new weapon please. :cool: Best of luck with it!

I have not seen my new ride in person yet, that will happen on Monday when I go for the fit, so all I have are a few pics the bike shop sent me of her.....however, the wheel decals and bar tape may be changing color....and obviously when I get fitted there will be other adjustments (like seat and tri bar height). Therefore, do you want to see her now, or in her finished state?

Oh, and pgibbo/catweazle.....I'm lying in bed right now with the heart rate monitor on and it's hanging between 48 and 50 bpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oh, and pgibbo/catweazle.....I'm lying in bed right now with the heart rate monitor on and it's hanging between 48 and 50 bpm.

Good Jesus this forum just plunged to a new level of anorak :eek:

Disclaimer: I do still love this log :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good Jesus this forum just plunged to a new level of anorak :eek:

Disclaimer: I do still love this log :)
    She wears a hrm to bed. Says it all, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I am way behind on my swimming fitness (would hate to have to race Kurt right now!!! I'd be eating his bubbles!! ;)), but I am so grateful I have this endless pool option to give me a tiny jump on April when my pool opens. Yay!! :)

Actual: ~1,500 endless meters in ~30 minutes

Ahahaaha, everybody smiles knowing well how that race would go. In fact, I'll concede defeat in a hypothetical running deathmatch too, given your training times. Hell, with your new bike you'll whip my ass across all three disciplines...

"whip"
    "ass"
    "discipline"
    "concede"
    I'll just lie back and let a therapist make sense of all that;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I confess, I had a sneak preview. It will knock your socks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Was it 48 when you were thinking of Gibbo and it shot up to 50 when you thought of the mighty cat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Lets wait until the finished state so :D

catweazle wrote: »
    Was it 48 when you were thinking of Gibbo and it shot up to 50 when you thought of the mighty cat ;)

Indeed, cw....and that was just when I was easing into my thoughts. ;)

Then wait we will!!! :)

Friday, March 7th, 2014

Run plan: 8 miles steady

Okay, so here's what happens in my body and mind when I diverge at a faster pace from the plan: Once I'm nice and warmed up, I usually get a little distracted with some daydreaming, and then without me thinking about it the body gets in a groove and starts ticking over at a happy pace. Usually a happy pace that is faster than prescribed in the plan. dammit! So then I usually try and pull it back and slow down, but the slower pace tends to not be as comfortable at that point, and then I start to have a little battle in my mind about how it will appear if on mile 4 I am at 7:19 but then I slow it to a more appropriate 7:45/7:50 pace. Will it look like I couldn't handle the faster pace? Did I die a death out there due to my poor pacing? Ugh. And then I can't fail....I can't look like I wasn't in control. So I screw the plan, hang my head, and tell myself if I add 10 seconds for the flat course, 10 seconds for Garmin inacurracies, and 10 seconds for fairly fresh legs then I am dead on my steady target pace. So there it is.

But two happy things to note: 1) I saw Mrs. Dugans looking quite well with her walker and adorable little dog, Rufus, having just been released from the nursing home she was in recovering from a nasty fall she sustained just before Christmas, and 2) I got a nice shout out from a random fella who recognized me and inquired if I was doing Boston again this year. Yep. Thanks for reminding me, random fella. Plane ticket secured, hotel booked, dance card filled in with frothy-meno-stew of jogging forum fame for a fun weekend of activities.....I leave 6 weeks from tomorrow. This will be a run and not a race.

Actual: 8.09 miles in 1:00:22 for an average pace of 7:28 min/mile
    7:44, 7:38, 7:35, 7:19, 7:22, 7:20, 7:23, 7:17

Saturday, March 8th, 2014

Bike plan: just ride for 2.5 hours

The bike plan said to just ride, and just ride is what I did. The course was my hilly, country road course I have grown to know and enjoy (well, I enjoy most of it...some of the hills are murder, and some of the motorists are idiots, and some of the dogs are loose and bossy....), and the weather was an agreeable partly sunny and fairly mild - so all in all not a bad set of circumstances to be faced with while in the saddle for a couple of hours.

The body had a little trouble finding the love in the first several miles, but probably about 10 miles into it some joy came to the surface. Highlights of the ride were: I took one very yummy Mocha flavored gel at about the halfway point (I could seriously get addicted to the Mocha, Chocolate, and Vanilla gels by Clif!), rode through some very muddy puddles (clothes and Dory need a good washing!!!), saw a gorgeous Red Tailed Hawk take flight from a fence post and soar over a field (hunting, no doubt), and walked through snow in my cycling shoes and then couldn't clip back in due to the ice that was frozen around my cleats (had to sit there and pick it out/blow on it/pour water on it to melt the ice - what a pain in the patootie!!!). But overall I would say it was a pretty good ride.....I kept things relaxed when I could, and worked it when I had to....and my mind stayed busy thinking about the new ride that's waiting for me at the bike shop. Pretty excited....but there'll be no more excuses once I learn how to stay upright and ride her! :)

Actual: 40.4 miles in 2:27:34 for an average speed of 16.4 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I start to have a little battle in my mind about how it will appear if on mile 4 I am at 7:19 but then I slow it to a more appropriate 7:45/7:50 pace.

Yeah, I know that feeling.
    When I was training for my first marathon (at much slower paces than that!) it took a real effort to get my long runs down to the pace everyone was telling me to run at. I'd start out at somewhere between 9 and 9.30/mile (9 was PMP) and I'd have to force myself to slow down to around 10. But after a few miles at that pace it would feel natural, I didn't have to fight to keep it down any more, and after a few weeks it took less effort to run at that pace from the start.

Sunday, March 9th, 2014

Run plan: 2 hours easy with last 15 minutes at MP

In a nutshell....the easy was super disciplined, and the MP was not. So what else is new, right? :rolleyes:

Overcast day...in the 40s (~5 celsius)....and I even showed a little leg today! Spring and the lack of clothes we have to wear cannot come soon enough!!!! The first few miles felt stiff and creaky, but after 2 or 3 miles, the groove and love started to show. I did my route to Lake Arrowhead that is 4 miles up, up,up, and 4 miles down, down, down....then headed into town to finish up the run. I was a mile from my car after I finished with the MP (HMP? :o) miles, and boy howdy was I wishing I had planned this a little better. But, on a bright note, that forced me to put down a nice, slow, very hilly cool down mile partly on a busy, dangerous highway. Yay danger!!!

Mile paces:
    Easy - 8:50, 8:50, 8:42, 8:47, 8:54, 8:33, 8:38, 8:09, 8:14, 8:32, 8:33, 7:57
    MP (more like HMP) - 7:15, 7:14
    Cool down - 9:16

Actual: 15.1 miles in 2:07:06 for an average pace of 8:25 min/mile

Off for an endless swim tonight!!!! :)

• Advertisement

Sunday, March 9th, 2014....Part II

Swim, swim, swimmy, swim

In the endless pool to nowhere.....also known as Dory's fish tank. :D

I'm actually starting to get the hang of this thing. It's so different than swimming in a "real" pool, but I'm starting to get comfortable with the concept/feel/dynamics of a wave shooting out at me and me swimming into it while trying to keep everything together. I'm also starting to realize that there may be some benefits to this type of pool training from an open-water-swimming-into-a-current-while-being-tossed-about view point, especially considering my HIM in June is in a river and we'll be swimming INTO the current for over a third of it. :eek:

Swam for over 30 minutes, all pull buoy style....and the arms definitely got a good workout. My friend is in town this week and he had the pool a nice, cozy 80 degrees for me. What a guy! :) Followed up the swim with a nice sit down in the hot tub. 103 degrees...and that was way toasty warm!!!

Actual endless swim: ~1,500 meters in ~30 minutes

Wow. :D:D:D:D:D

Wow. :D:D:D:D:D

First ride?

First ride?

Just read that and I'll try again.

First ride on the new bike?

At bike shop doing the bike fit right now. Quite a machine. Of course all the guys here have already taken her out for a spin...:confused::mad:...but I've only been on the trainer. They are making me take baby steps for now....don't want to scare me away or hate the bike since this is a new style ride for me. My body/flexibility/size are dictating, but with loads of room for adjustments and more extreme positioning. I'll take her home today, get some spins in, then work on configuring and riding her like the big boys. :)

Monday, March 10th, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles easy

Didn't happen. Nope. I didn't get home from being at the bike shop until going on 7:30 this evening after being there since they opened at 11 this morning. But, I ended up spinning over 15 miles on the new ride while at the shop, so I'll take that instead.

Great day, actually. Learned a good bit...watched them work on her while trying to learn from them but had the fear of god put in me if I tighten anything down too much or screw up any of the integration....and I even got to change a tire (yes, I do know how to change a tire now!!!) but ended up blowing the tube in good fashion when I didn't have the tire seated properly and I pumped too much air into the tube (heads did turn!). :o So I got to do the whole process again, learning from my mistake. Oh, and this time I was told not to use a tire lever as it may damage these delicate tubes....so I just used my hands. Worked fine. :) She's home with me now....sitting in my living room, looking gorgeous and wild. :)

Actual: 15+ miles on The Black Cat

Pics please!

Pics please!

There are still a few more "cosmetic" things to sort, so let's wait until then. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Pics please!

Seconded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any hints on a make/model?

Advertisement