Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Killarney Maxi Marathon. It was good until you get into the park and then it was very up and down little hills

Sorry to butt in :o but just wanted to say that the Killarney Maxi was 15 miles, so if you did that in 1.51.36, you'll absolutely smash sub 1.50 in Waterford half.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Younganne wrote: »
    except for the sore throat, cough and ear ache, tired and can't get warm ( i know a run would warm me but noone to mind the kids)

Oh dear that doesnt sound good. You should rest and not run if you are coming down with something :(
    I've ran tue, wed and thu. I've tried to increase my speed a lot with the 5 k in mind. I still need to get a massage on the aul legs and they are feeling a bit wrecked still. Hopefully get out tmw for the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Week is a bit jumbled here also. two runs on tuesday (what a pro:rolleyes:) none on wednesday. ran yesterday and this morning and decided to run a half this sunday (i know i know :o) but a few friends are going and it looks like fun so i said id go. Wont run hard will probably do it at DCM marathon pace ~9:05 min miles. waiting for the:mad: from e.coli..

Sorry only getting through posts now

First off great session the other day. That is a classic five k session but has benefits the whole way up the times were also pretty impressive.

Regarding the half that is probably a smart idea to take it as a training session remember that will be 2 halves since the marathon before christmas so just make sure you pay particular attention to your body its better to err on the side of caution as opposed to getting sick or injured remember consistency is the biggest training secret so better to have few days easy/ off as opposed to months injured

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi, how is the week going for everyone so far? its not going to plan so far for me.... did my 4m on Tuedsay no problem, didn't get out on Wed, tried to do the treadmill yesterday but only managed 2.5m...finally gave up...went to kettlebells last night , it was tough but enjoyed it, 1st class since the week before Marathon so felt it everywhere but am fine today....except for the sore throat, cough and ear ache, tired and can't get warm ( i know a run would warm me but noone to mind the kids)...
    young lad has chest infection so its in the house...hope to shake it before it takes hold...so not sure what running if any i'll get done the rest of the week, but just continue when i can....
    Life sometimes just gets in the way of me becoming a really fast runner!!!!;):p

...sounds exactly like me 'except take away the kids and the chest infection but add in sciatica, fatigue, really sore knees , sore hips and no confidence - strange how I could run 26.2 miles without too much hassle a few weeks ago and am now really struggling to hit 3 miles ......

...any brilliant advice world changing advice for a novice?

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

...sounds exactly like me 'except take away the kids and the chest infection but add in sciatica, fatigue, really sore knees , sore hips and no confidence - strange how I could run 26.2 miles without too much hassle a few weeks ago and am now really struggling to hit 3 miles ......

ATVB,

John Mc

Sports massage John. Seems to have done the trick for me. Loosened the legs out and almost back to normal another session next week and I am hoping to be flying about the place :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in :o but just wanted to say that the Killarney Maxi was 15 miles, so if you did that in 1.51.36, you'll absolutely smash sub 1.50 in Waterford half.

Ruby that time is for the half during the Maxi marathon. :D unfortunately

They gave us a half marathon time also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ATVB,

John Mc

oohh john no offence but i'll keep my lot at the minute instead of yours:eek::eek:... the confidence will come back when you get a couple of SLOW short runs in..i did them last week and thankfully have no niggles or pain anywhere TG... go back to Hal Higdons week 1 recovery plan for novice and take it very easy...just make sure there is no injurys and it is just fatigue(sp)

it just takes some people a bit longer that others to get over the marathon...i know one of the lads at work that ran 2.55 still hasn't had a run, but he jsut doesn't want to at the minute!!

i agree with Nules on the massage. i had one the week after the marathon, it was very painful but "good pain" if you know what i mean...it seems to get rid of all the pains and it was great.....definitely treat yourself to one.....
    I have a wedding tomorrow but definitely hope to be back to running next week!!!!

John, Here is the week one recovery plan all run at very slow pace....

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|2m|4m|2M|rest|30-60mins|Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Thanks Dave & shazkea for the garmin replies! The garmin thread is so huge it's hard to find what I'm looking for. I have an eye on doing interval training with it so might have to cough up more money-although Christmas is coming, have to sweet talk my hubbie!

Been an off week for me too. Had 3 different dr/dental appointments with the kids plus a school trip to help with so house gone to pot, had to catch up on that yuck! Too tired to get out after those days. Going for a 10k today with my bro, always a great motivator.

Been thinking bout getting up at 6 to run just half an hour Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, then interval training (when Ecoli says so) on Wednesday, with longer run on Saturday. What do u think? With homework, bath times, 2 afternoons a week gone on kids drs app. it's bloody hard to get out now. God I sound so whiney, must be lack of running:)

Well did my 60 mins yesterday, felt slow to be honest and my leg is still acting up but completed it. Going to work on strength training now too, something I've neglected upto now.

What's the running plan for next week Ecoli?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Guys

Hope all is going well. Here is this weeks plan. This is the last recovery week of the HH recovery plan but I have made slight amendments as we are using it to transition into racing as many of you guys are aiming for Jingle Bells

|Rest|5m|3m + Strides|5M|rest|60mins|Cross

*Strides these are roughly 4x60-80m strides

These are to be done @ roughly the pace you aim to hold for 5k race. Dont worry about exact splits or indeed exact distance but rather a rough idea. in terms of recovery in between these it should be walking back as slow as you need in between strides. This should not be hard at all. The aim of strides is to improve running form while giving your body a small introduction to these paces

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

John, Here is the week one recovery plan all run at very slow pace....

|Rest|2m|4m|2M|rest|30-60mins|Cross

Tried short run in Ardgillan yesterday, lasted one mile before knee issue kicked in with a vengance - off to physio/sports therapist tomorrow - I'm going damn stir crazy now - can't sail because of sciatica and can't run because of knee - anyone got an entry form for a nursing home handy......:mad::(

I will be on the start line of the Jingle bells tho.....

Thanks again,

JohnMc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Tried short run in Ardgillan yesterday, lasted one mile before knee issue kicked in with a vengance - off to physio/sports therapist tomorrow - I'm going damn stir crazy now - can't sail because of sciatica and can't run because of knee - anyone got an entry form for a nursing home handy......:mad::(

I will be on the start line of the Jingle bells tho.....

Thanks again,

JohnMc

Ardgillian :eek: i would be looking for somewhere a little flatter to get back into it John those hills would kill anyone. Maybe try getting to some football pitches and running there after you go to the physio.

Went out for a slow 60 mins yesterday I had to give up after only 4 miles the legs were gone (dead). Was getting nothing off them. Since I have started training, that is the first time I have ever given up. The face on me when I got back into the house the wife just left me alone for a while:)

I was supposed to do the same today but I just could not be arsed.

Have taken Nules advice I am having a massage this week.

Hope I will be able for Waterford at this stage.

Went out for a slow 60 mins yesterday I had to give up after only 4 miles the legs were gone (dead). Was getting nothing off them. Since I have started training, that is the first time I have ever given up. The face on me when I got back into the house the wife just left me alone for a while:)

I was supposed to do the same today but I just could not be arsed.

Have taken Nules advice I am having a massage this week.

Hope I will be able for Waterford at this stage.

Ah Dave i wouldn't be too worried about it. If you have to do Waterford as a training run so be it. But i have no doubt you will be on here next week after your massage gushing about your new legs ;) I am going for another one this week just to be sure

We all seem to be tired, weary or injured in some way and i think (IMO) we all need to cut ourselves some slack.. Marathon training is very hard on the body, especially for novices who have not been doing high mileage over a regular period like some of the more experienced runners..... we have trained for and completed a marathon which is a huge achievement and even for those who trained, got injured and couldn't do the marathon, the training was still there...So i think a little R&R is needed and then back into it when our bodies are ready!!!!

But that is just the way I'm feeling...i know so more experienced runners who have not done any runs since DCM as they are recovering....

so if you are not up to full runs, fast runs whatever...go easy on yourself, get the body rested & fixed and then back into training...best to avoid injury!!!

Edit: i know not everyone on this thread did marathon so forgive me for my wandering!!!

Name|Sessions|Distance|Total|Comments|
    BobMac104|||15m| |
    Younganne|2|6.5m|20.5m|chest infection so didn't get at all over the weekend
    red face dave|||11m|
    Nules10 |||14|
    Conseng|||12m|
    run44|||10m|
    shazkea|||12m|
    KittyMittens|||9.5m||
    Cutex|||6m|
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||15.6|

BobMac104|||15m| |
    red face dave|||11m|
    Nules10 |5|26|40|enjoyed most of my runs this week, one extra also at the weekend :)
    Conseng|||12m|
    run44|||10m|
    shazkea|||12m|
    KittyMittens|||9.5m||
    Cutex|||6m|
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||15.6|

Morning all. Started my new running time this morning and it was brilliant! Got up at 6:15 and just got dressed and went. Was worried bout being tired and not eating but one of my best runs ever energy wise. My leg is still a little sore but the rest of me felt brilliant.

I started strength training on Saturday with OH too. My upper body was and still is so sore but legs felt grand. Another session of that tonight and then rest tomorrow, hope it will all go to better running!

Sorry your run went bad for you on Saturday Dave, hopefully a new week will bring better things.

Hope your feeling better too Anne, hate chest infections:mad:

BobMac104|||15m| |
    red face dave|||11m|
    Nules10 |5|26|40|enjoyed most of my runs this week, one extra also at the weekend :)
    Conseng|||12m|
    run44|||10m|
    shazkea|||12m|
    KittyMittens|||9.5m||
    Cutex|2|9.5m|15.5m|only got out twice last week, def up the mileage this week!
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||15.6|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

BobMac104|||15m| |
    red face dave|||11m|
    Nules10 |5|26|40|enjoyed most of my runs this week, one extra also at the weekend smile.gif
    Conseng|||12m|
    run44|||10m|
    shazkea|3|14|26m|wk 5 back running and no runs missed yet - must be a record for me!
    KittyMittens|||9.5m||
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||15.6|

We all seem to be tired, weary or injured in some way and i think (IMO) we all need to cut ourselves some slack.. Marathon training is very hard on the body, especially for novices who have not been doing high mileage over a regular period like some of the more experienced runners..... we have trained for and completed a marathon which is a huge achievement and even for those who trained, got injured and couldn't do the marathon, the training was still there...So i think a little R&R is needed and then back into it when our bodies are ready!!!!

But that is just the way I'm feeling...i know so more experienced runners who have not done any runs since DCM as they are recovering....

so if you are not up to full runs, fast runs whatever...go easy on yourself, get the body rested & fixed and then back into training...best to avoid injury!!!

Edit: i know not everyone on this thread did marathon so forgive me for my wandering!!!

You're absolutely fine. It's interesting to read all the after-stories from DCM as everyone tells you about training, the big day etc but not too much detail on the weeks after. So when I eventually I do make to the start line for a marathon, I'll be back to read all these posts afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

BobMac104|||15m| |
    red face dave|||11m|
    Nules10 |5|26|40|enjoyed most of my runs this week, one extra also at the weekend smile.gif
    Conseng|0|0|12m|real life suggested I take a week off last week.
    run44|||10m|
    shazkea|3|14|26m|wk 5 back running and no runs missed yet - must be a record for me!
    KittyMittens|||9.5m||
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||15.6|

BobMac104|||15m| |
    red face dave|4|15|26m|Tough week
    run44|||10m|
    KittyMittens|||9.5m||
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||15.6|

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

BobMac104|||15m| |
    run44|0|0|10m|Sick all week with throat and chest infection, which seems to be getting worse rather than better :(
    KittyMittens|||9.5m||
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||15.6|

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

BobMac104|||15m| |
    run44|0|0|10m|Sick all week with throat and chest infection, which seems to be getting worse rather than better :(
    KittyMittens|1|4|13.5m|Loads of excuses...but a new week starts today :)|
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||15.6|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

BobMac104|||15m| |
    KittyMittens|1|4|13.5m|Loads of excuses...but a new week starts today :)|
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |1|5.2|20.8|Always knew last week would be the "perfect storm" between work, visitors, kids etc. Only managed one - thought I would get out on Sunday but woke up with a bad pain in my lower back still there now but hope it's just a pulled muscle and will ease. Fingers crossed. Going stir crazy already :(

hurray i got out in the gorgeous sunshine and managed 4.64m in 45.00..ie avg pace 9.41 avh HR 167.... i just decide to go with the flow and see how i got on so was very happy with the pace, it was a comfortable pace. It felt good to get a run in as opposed to a slow jog and the fresh air will do me good.....new week hopefully it goes better than last week....i know it the plan was for 5m but this will have to do for today, might try make it up on some of the other runs!!!

kit3 i hope the back is ok and you are recovering!

Kittymittens i hope your week is better for you

run44 hope you are on the mend and minding yourself. mine was very mild and just seems to bother me in the morning for a while and then its fine

redfacedave, nules10 and shazkea well done and fair play to you, you all got great milage in last week..
    Belated Happy birthday Shazkea and was it you who completed the "silent run" mission last week???:) well done!! i'd never manage that, love the sound of my own voice too much!!:rolleyes:

Bobmac104, sunflowerro and jimh...hope you are all ok
    Cutex 2 runs is better than none!!
    Conseng somethimes life just gets in the wasy but all we can do is try our best and get on with it. Hope all is well with you!

Here's hoping for a better week for all the people who didn't have the best last week!!!

• Advertisement

kit3 i hope the back is ok and you are recovering!

Kittymittens i hope your week is better for you

run44 hope you are on the mend and minding yourself. mine was very mild and just seems to bother me in the morning for a while and then its fine

redfacedave, nules10 and shazkea well done and fair play to you, you all got great milage in last week..
    Belated Happy birthday Shazkea and was it you who completed the "silent run" mission last week???:) well done!! i'd never manage that, love the sound of my own voice too much!!:rolleyes:

Bobmac104, sunflowerro and jimh...hope you are all ok
    Cutex 2 runs is better than none!!
    Conseng somethimes life just gets in the wasy but all we can do is try our best and get on with it. Hope all is well with you!

Here's hoping for a better week for all the people who didn't have the best last week!!!

Cheers Anne and yup it was me being silent on a group run...anything for a bet and a free drink :D

I have to say that I think some of you are being very harsh on yourselves with regards to missing some runs or generally not feeling well. There is no big hurry back (besides the weight gain :rolleyes:).
    As Anne says you've completed a long training plan & your first marathon so your immune system will usually be at it lowest point now. Come back when you're body is ready and you are ready mentally to enjoy running again. Enjoy your accomplishment, recover well and then spend some time making a plan for next year.

I've had my fair share of running injuries/sickness this year and I've finally learnt to listen to the body even when I don't want to! it's easy to forget that running should be a fun hobby and weekly runs should not be a chore.

Advertisement