Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Not my best weekend of running. On my LSR yesterday, I was 13miles in and felt a pain in my hip which forced me to stop and hobble back to the car. So annoyed. Doesn't seem quite as bad today so I'm hoping it was just inflammation of the joint (or something temporary) but am going to rest it and make a physio appointment for during the week, just in case. Haven't really had an injury that has stopped me running before - was probably due one unfortunately :(

Fingers crossed the physio will have good news for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Run you probably just jerk it while running. I say you should be sound. Came on here to say the same as you not having a great weekend either, no running done at all was supposed to go hill training today but one to many Captain Morgans put an end to that.

Finding it very hard to keep focused with no races coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|||84.4m|256.8m||
    Younganne|4|23.6|84.27m|136.24|4 sessions, better week this week:D|
    red face dave |||58.5|133.5|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    Conseng||||
    run44|||49.8|147.9m||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    KittyMittens|||38.8|38.8||
    Cutex|||19|58.5|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

The novelty of the Table seems to have died away, but i'll keep putting it up weekly for now.:p

missed my run yesterday and did 10.5 hilly route today. taper next week for the half marathon on Sunday...i'm kinda looking forward to it to see if there is much of an improvement with all the variety in the training at the minute and i've lost 9lb in weight so all should help!!!;)

run44 wrote: »
    Not my best weekend of running. On my LSR yesterday, I was 13miles in and felt a pain in my hip which forced me to stop and hobble back to the car. So annoyed. Doesn't seem quite as bad today so I'm hoping it was just inflammation of the joint (or something temporary) but am going to rest it and make a physio appointment for during the week, just in case. Haven't really had an injury that has stopped me running before - was probably due one unfortunately :(

Fingers crossed the physio will have good news for me...
    Run you probably just jerk it while running. I say you should be sound. Came on here to say the same as you not having a great weekend either, no running done at all was supposed to go hill training today but one to many Captain Morgans put an end to that.

Finding it very hard to keep focused with no races coming up.

Hope things improve for you both soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

red face dave |3|15|73.5|148.5|Bad Week
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    Conseng||||
    run44|||49.8|147.9m||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|||19|58.5|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

• Advertisement

Nules10 ||||128.2|
    Conseng||||
    run44|3|21.4|71.2|170m|Potential injury :(|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|||19|58.5|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Nules10 ||||128.2|
    Conseng||||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|1|6||64.5|after 2 weeks off after dental work(ouch) had my first run yesterday :D
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

So good to be back out running again! Went to the Phoenix Park last night with my brother, it was a bit tougher than I thought but felt great afterwards. Here's to lots & lots more running, I have so much catching up to do on the 1000 mile challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

BobMac104|4|31m|164.5m|336.9m|Was away for a week in the sun so just tipped away at it.|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    Conseng||||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|1|6||64.5|after 2 weeks off after dental work(ouch) had my first run yesterday :D
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

Was away last week for some eh.."warm weather training" but still managed to get over 30 done. i needed a down week as i was feeling quite battered. I got a bit sick at the start of last week aswell so i think the break came just in time. going to keep it handy this week i think as i have ballycotton on sunday so looking forward to that. Will do some speedwork tomorrow night to wake the legs up but i wont push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

BobMac104|4|31m|164.5m|336.9m|Was away for a week in the sun so just tipped away at it.|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

Removing my name from the table for now. I have done very little running recently as I went back to GAA training with the intention of combining the 2. That brought back last years back pain. Went to see a "sports" doctor last week who has identified a couple of probable causes so will follow through with him and try to get sorted. I will keep reading this log and maybe jump back in later in the year. Enjoy.

Hope you get sorted soon Conseng.. give us an update on how your doing from time to time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

I can still run comfortably, even the quicker 100-200m interval type stuff at gaa training and we often do a 12-14 minute stamina run which is no bother either. All my problems show up when the football is introduced. Maybe I just need to forget football and run but the doc suggested that underlying problems will put an end to my running soon too if not sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

BobMac104 wrote: »

Was away last week for some eh.."warm weather training" but still managed to get over 30 done. i needed a down week as i was feeling quite battered. I got a bit sick at the start of last week aswell so i think the break came just in time. going to keep it handy this week i think as i have ballycotton on sunday so looking forward to that. Will do some speedwork tomorrow night to wake the legs up but i wont push it.

With Regards to speedwork

I always find best to throw in some Race paced stuff in one rep followed by a few shorter sharper ones so Rather than your usual say 8-10x 400s or whatever maybe 1k-1mile @ race pace followed by 3x400s or something like that keep the volume down on the session as well

Here is the plan for this week
    |Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|4m|1 mile easy, 30 min @ MP , 1 mile easy|4m|rest|1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

Those of you racing I want the following and best of luck on Sunday

|Rest|2m|1 mile easy, 2 x 1 mile @ HM Race pace w / 90 sec , 1 mile easy|2m|rest|1 mile very light jog|Race

ecoli wrote: »

With Regards to speedwork

I always find best to throw in some Race paced stuff in one rep followed by a few shorter sharper ones so Rather than your usual say 8-10x 400s or whatever maybe 1k-1mile @ race pace followed by 3x400s or something like that keep the volume down on the session as well

Thanks ecoli. I was wondering about it alight. Helps a lot.

Just keep the 400s or what ever you chose to do at quicker than race pace but its not a speed session so these dont have to be blisteringly fast 5k-10k pace would be grand

Just keep the 400s or what ever you chose to do at quicker than race pace but its not a speed session so these dont have to be blisteringly fast 5k-10k pace would be grand

No chance of blistering pace out of me!
    thanks again though. Looking forward to it now . I have done a few solid weeks the last month or so and iam hoping to improve on dungarvan even though the course isn't supposed to be easy. plus there will be a big pack of runners around my pace.

An easy pace 4 miles yesterday with no pain at all. A good sign! I'm so relieved! :D

Great stuff run44!

Great stuff run44!

Cheers Bob! Was really worried that I'd be out of action for a while...

Physio booked for later this week too, just in case ;)

no harm either. nice and easy coming back into to it now id say and you'll be flying in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Here is the plan for this week
    |Rest|4m|1 mile easy, 30 min @ MP , 1 mile easy|4m|rest|1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

Those of you racing I want the following and best of luck on Sunday

|Rest|2m|1 mile easy, 2 x 1 mile @ HM Race pace w / 90 sec , 1 mile easy|2m|rest|1 mile very light jog|Race

Just wondering if anyone can explain wed session for people doing hm.what does w/90 sec mean.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Just wondering if anyone can explain wed session for people doing hm.what does w/90 sec mean.thanks

90 second recovery but i am open to correction :)

Nules10 wrote: »

90 second recovery but i am open to correction :)

Ya that's what i take it to be anyway.

Yep apologies that 90 sec is your recovery time in between reps

ecoli, i missed todays session on the HM plan. I should be back out tomorrow could i do todays session then or just stick with the 2miles thats on for tomorrow. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

This week isn't going too badly. After 2 weeks off I felt pretty wrecked doing a 6 mile on sunday & a 4 mile on Tuesday. I couldn't get out on Wednesday which was probably just as well!

Last night I went for a 4 mile run hoping I'd feel abit better during this one and I did! I really enjoyed it, I didn't bring my garmin just went by feel and ended up doing 8:30 min pace. It has done wonders for my confidence and I'm looking forward to my weekend running.

Ecoli I can only do one run at the weekend which should I do? The hills or 90 mins?

My son is competing in the indoor Dublin championships on Sunday in 60m sprint & hurdles so we're making a day of it. It's his first competition, I'm so proud :D

Cutex wrote: »
    This week isn't going too badly. After 2 weeks off I felt pretty wrecked doing a 6 mile on sunday & a 4 mile on Tuesday. I couldn't get out on Wednesday which was probably just as well!

Last night I went for a 4 mile run hoping I'd feel abit better during this one and I did! I really enjoyed it, I didn't bring my garmin just went by feel and ended up doing 8:30 min pace. It has done wonders for my confidence and I'm looking forward to my weekend running.

Ecoli I can only do one run at the weekend which should I do? The hills or 90 mins?

My son is competing in the indoor Dublin championships on Sunday in 60m sprint & hurdles so we're making a day of it. It's his first competition, I'm so proud :D

Well done on getting back to the running, you are flying. Best of luck to your son on Sunday...:D

Well done cutex!

Nice pace there cutex. Good luck to your son too at the weekend

• Advertisement

@ Cutex - Given that the focus is on 10k at the moment and you have been working on miles over the last few months the hill session will stand to you in terms of working on form so I would say go for the hills

Advertisement