Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

From what weight would most of ye be bulling Lmx heifer's?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Last few years, I had them from 450kgs as I'd calve them at 24-26mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

I had a bunch last year off of heifers, best group of AAs i ever had. Mine were certainly as calm as the other breeds and were always keen to see the ration coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I saw the teaser following a cow late last night, as I was drawing bales from a field beside them. Neighbour checks them every morning and saw no activity at all. I just got her AI'd there and he said she was on.

The same cow went months last year without going in calf until I spotted her bulling with 2 others in the middle of the night. It just goes to show how short heats can be and how hard it is to spot them. Teaser does have a chinball but he doesn't mark them that well.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Anything over 400 I bull 380if their Angus

60% of mature weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

A general enquiry about Gamin for anyone uwho used him,did ye find the gestation very long?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

1st calves for me this year from him: bulls 287 (LMx cow) & 293 (AAx cow), heifers: 288 (AAx cow) & 289 (LM cow).

He's longer than any of the other LM bulls I've used on my cows. The 2 heifers are really good quiet calves. He's a great bull.

Last 2 Gamin calves here - bull at 292 days, heifer at 281 days. A lot has to do with the cows breeding. That heifer was from a heifer with 5 stars gestation.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Gamin came fast for me this year on 2 cows. Both under 290 days I’d say. As said above prob down to the cow too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies have one here at 297 and not a notion of calving this week end I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sadly it’s the cow effect, used the same bull on 3 cows- 285, 286 & 293 days

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

For anyone using Gamin it's time to start keeping an eye on his availability, he died late last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

All things considered there hasn’t been a better commercially available Limousin bull than Gamin imo. They reckon that their new bull Record is going to be a serious bull. Have you tried Loyal? Easy calved and great shape/muscle to them i find.

I've a 2 year old heifer calving to Loyal in the coming days. She's gone 290 days today, so fingers crossed. She's a big heifer and not that big in the belly so far. When the time comes around to calving these heifers, you're always glad you went easy calving.

Cow I'm culling this year came in heat Wednesday morning standing. Counting them Thursday morning and she was still in standing heat. I finally have an answer why she never holds AI but holds the bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Not yet. Pins starting to drop a bit so expecting something in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Few calves in the last 2 weeks.

Top is a Mas du Clo heifer calf from a Cerberus x sympa 2nd calver.

Bottom is a Joskins bull calf with his Dam, who goes back to Fl22. No shortage of milk.

Also calves out of Gamin, Loyal and Cavelands Jolly. Gamin was handy at birth but shaping up well. Loyal was early, very handy, probably only 30kg, but thriving away. Jolly off a 2nd calver Ch x Lim, good sized heifer calf but calved herself

• Advertisement

The apple must be ripe before it will fall. Gone 4 days now. Maybe putting her in the shed on her own upset her a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Know that this bull isn't very well known, but going to give my opinion. Very nice calves, good shape, growing well and great calving ease. Tomschoice Onslow. Used on heifers and cows, 5 calves on the ground, not a single assist.

First heifer will be one month old tomorrow. From a short legged cow, but the calf is showing some good size. Second calf is around 3 weeks old in the photo. The third heifer is from simxlimxangusx first calver. Very good growth, shape. What I really like about his calves, is that they seem to have wide rear part. Overall very nice calves, but pelvic region stands out. Hopefully his daughters will be good cows in the future. So far three heifers and two bulls. One more blondex heifer is due with his calf on the 5th of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Had the last Vrb (Verbeterd roodbont) sired calf calf born last night. From 13years old 3/4 lim cow, 291 days gestation, heifer. The cow never missed a year and probably only had two bull calves in her whole lifetime. Four daughters in production, several graddaughters and one more her heifer is for AI this year.

Had three calves from one bull and three calves from another vrb bull. Not a single assist, the biggest was heifer from angusx cow, 51,5kg. All calves are pretty nice, but one bull's calves are just better looking.

Two black heifers are by the same sire as the newborn. Should be a nice one in the future. Already shows some good muscle definition.

Got another Vrb bull for use this year. So far only one cow AI'ed. Liking the breed so far. Easier calved than blues it seems, but longer gestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pingg10

anyone keep heifers from lm2010

poor figures for replacement but one id like to keep

Reliable figures say it will be a wild animal with poor milk, lower fertility and poor calving ability

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’ve A heifer out of him and can’t fault her, had a serious black zag bull too first time out

Well she just calved. 301 days. I can't figure this out. I doubled checked my records and ICBF agree with me on the AI date.

She popped her out, no problem. 90 mins from crubeens just showing to up and drinking on her own. Nice lively heifer. Sucking like mad.

Loyal is a serious bull on the right type of cow, works very well on Simx and Limx cows with good size i find, great shape to them.

Want to pick people's brains for a minute will explain what I'm at in a few days.Whats the longest gestation anyone has see or even heard of for a Limousine

• Advertisement

Think 305 was the longest here, used KJB a good bit one year, was a disaster gestation wise, easy calved at the same time tho, nice heifers but plain bulls.

Advertisement