Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert to be abolished

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,176 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Maybe in your industry he's 'useless', but that's a pretty self- centred view to adopt.
    There's plenty of jobs which require application more than inspiration.

I was generally speaking, not relating to a specific industry.

I see your point about application, but these are going to be very specific and, even so, I would imagine would still require the ability to think creatively and solve problems at some point.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BulletPoints

Yes...down with introverts - drag them out of their shel(ves) - and let make fun things like school plays work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭ameliadad

Did anyone take the Junior cert that serious anyway?

It was just a pointleess "practice" for the Leaving cert as it was told to me

They should change the whole system, not just the junior cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Secondary education puts no emphasis on team work which is vital to university as well as life.

Depends what you do in University... Never once have i had to do anything with a team in University.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Read the theory of multiple intelligences by Howard Gardiner and show me where all of the below are examined:
    Spatial
    Linguistic
    Logical-mathematical
    Bodily-kinesthetic
    Musical
    Interpersonal
    Intrapersonal
    Naturalistic

Depends on which theory of intelligence you subscibe to...
    I certainly wouldn't count intra and inter personal attributes as a type of intelligence. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Good. I would like to go on but there are so many problems with the educational system I just don't know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Sucks to be in fifth class.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Cian92 wrote: »
    Depends on which theory of intelligence you subscibe to...
    I certainly wouldn't count intra and inter personal attributes as a type of intelligence. :rolleyes:
    Why not? The abilities to interact well with others and to understand yourself not good enough?

Yes...down with introverts - drag them out of their shel(ves) - and let make fun things like school plays work.
    I know plenty of introverts who only have the one bookshelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

A complete reform of the Junior Cert is going to do feck all. The entire education system needs to be overhauled. For example in Primary School, why don't they teach the likes of German or French. It'd be highly beneficial for them in the long run. There's plenty of subjects that are over taught by teachers so why not dedicate more time to the basics of science and language from a young age.
    AdamD wrote: »
    I wrote Music beside Musical because that is the subject which tests that particular intelligence. If you couldn't figure that out from my post....

Also: That is a theory on intelligences. Key word there being theory.

Gravity is a theory too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Gravity is a theory too. ;)

Gardner's use of the word theory is not the same as the scientific use of the word.

• Advertisement

Gardner's use of the word theory is not the same as the scientific use of the word.

True but there's plenty of basis for the theory. The different forms of intelligences are most definitely not examined in the Leaving Cert. It's a rather dated examination as they go. Plenty of people get on atrociously in the leaving cert but live perfectly successful existences afterwards indicating that the leaving cert was an awful indicator of their intelligence levels... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

I think all teachers welcome any new course that is beneficial to their students learning. Allowing 40% for assessment through coursework in my opinion is a good idea. However this mode of assessment will be seriously flawed if corrected by the students own teacher. At present it is an external examiner for any coursework completed by a student. I think it will change rapport between students and teachers and this could have a negative impact on any learning environment! Any new course that places teachers in the role of judge rather than advocate of the student is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A complete reform of the Junior Cert is going to do feck all. The entire education system needs to be overhauled. For example in Primary School, why don't they teach the likes of German or French. It'd be highly beneficial for them in the long run. There's plenty of subjects that are over taught by teachers so why not dedicate more time to the basics of science and language from a young age.

Science is already taught in primary school and some primary schools offer foreign languages. There are already huge problems with students coming through to secondary school who can't spell, can't construct a grammatically correct sentence and can't do basic arithmetic. I think those problems need to be sorted out at primary level before we widen the curriculum even more at that level leaving less time for children to learn the basics.

Science is already taught in primary school and some primary schools offer foreign languages. There are already huge problems with students coming through to secondary school who can't spell, can't construct a grammatically correct sentence and can't do basic arithmetic. I think those problems need to be sorted out at primary level before we widen the curriculum even more at that level leaving less time for children to learn the basics.

I'll admit that i'm a bit out of touch with our education system at this point. :pac: But I do recall a foreign exchange student from Germany joining us in first year who could speak English fluently (rather common for this in most European nations). And just seemed to be far better educated in general. Perhaps, it would make more sense just to simply use the guidelines of a successful education system. Granted, I mightn't have any clue whatsoever and may be entirely wrong. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BulletPoints

How quickly the rot sets in. This map is from the NCCA video introducing the ‘Towards a Framework for Junior Cycle’ document (http://ncca.ie/framework).

Waterford and Cork Harbour is missing - presumably landfilled with the debris from recently demolished ghost estates (which geographers would never have built).
    All of the islands have disappeared- presumably under water due to global warming - who knew about that, eh?
    Achill and The Mullet has disappeared - well, they are far way from NCCA Head Office!
    Lough Swilly is gone but then we want to forget all that history, don’t we!
    Lough Neagh has been filled in because we get enough water from rainfall. Anyway, it’s up there - wherever ‘there’ is - and it’s nothing to do with us.
    Strangford Lough was too difficult to get in and out of so presumably someone decided it was better to fill it in.
    Carlingford Lough is fairly ugly and no tourists will want to go there so it’s left out becasue they won’t need to know how to get there!
    Howth really wasn’t happy being on ‘De Northside’ so I guess someone in Dublin City Council granted permission to move it somewhere. Reward if you can find it!
    Makes you wonder what the map of Ireland will look like in 10 years time.
    NCCA Map of Ireland.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ruire wrote: »
    I know plenty of introverts who only have the one bookshelf.
    We generally don't like boasting about the number of bookshelves we have:p
    Many science courses at university level would be more interested in new students having an adequate grasp at mathematics than any of biology, physics, chem, etc. This, a subject supposedly taught from Junior infants up to LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

True but there's plenty of basis for the theory. The different forms of intelligences are most definitely not examined in the Leaving Cert. It's a rather dated examination as they go. Plenty of people get on atrociously in the leaving cert but live perfectly successful existences afterwards indicating that the leaving cert was an awful indicator of their intelligence levels... :eek:

You have to keep in mind that the leaving cert isn't meant to be simply an intelligent test. It's meant to be a way to determine who gets college places. It's a fact that the majority of college courses don't require all of the intelligences predicted, so they're not really interested in examining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,176 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You have to keep in mind that the leaving cert isn't meant to be simply an intelligent test. It's meant to be a way to determine who gets college places. It's a fact that the majority of college courses don't require all of the intelligences predicted, so they're not really interested in examining them.

Which is fair enough if everyone wanted to go on to college. For me, a state exam and education should do a lot more than just decide college places.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement