Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a car for sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Wicked131

The 1.4 wouldn't pull you out of bed. A mere 80hp is too little for a car of that size. If A - B town driving is ones sole purpose for a car then I suppose a point could be argued. It seems to be well minded, serviced etc, but why bring all the hassle of a rough bodied car upon yourself when tidy focus' are in abundance everywhere.

Yeah it's definately not a rocket but it's cheap to tax and good on fuel.

It looks well maintained apart from the bodywork, but really you don't need a great looking car to drive it from A-B

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I see nothing special about it to be honest, the low price reflects the tatty condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Zetec spec with rolly windows at the rear. Can't stand that, screams tightness to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

bear1 wrote:
    Zetec spec with rolly windows at the rear. Can't stand that, screams tightness to me.

Ya, you need the titanium spec in the focus before you get rear electrics. Whereas my mondeo is a zetec, yet gets rear electrics.

Ya, you need the titanium spec in the focus before you get rear electrics. Whereas my mondeo is a zetec, yet gets rear electrics.

Should be standard regardless of the spec imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Wicked131 wrote: »
    Sorry pal, but there's nothing more annoying for me than putting mileage as 33500km's while on the pic you can clearly see it's 33500 miles!

My bad changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Wicked131 wrote: »
    Yeah it's definately not a rocket but it's cheap to tax and good on fuel.

It looks well maintained apart from the bodywork, but really you don't need a great looking car to drive it from A-B

Relatively cheap motor tax alright but good on fuel?....not really for what it is.

€4,400 for a 1.4 petrol Focus that is approaching 8 years old after the repair is done and what will likely be a noticeable repair job if done for €500. It might be on for ok money but I certainly wouldn't consider it a noteworthy bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-celica-vvtli-192-bhp/10994653

The one that got away.

This was up for sale in February of this year. was advertised for €2650 iirc, went to view it and that's when i knew i had instant Celica love. I Had chopped the owner down to 2400 and had the money in my pocket and then he told me he had another person who had already viewed it and promised they would take it but they hadn't paid a deposit yet but he was offering them first refusal. More fool him i thought, but clearly they bought it and i didn't. Pain in the hoop to see them selling it so soon as i would have much preferred it.

Very difficult to get a facelift model with the 190 engine and red would be my colour of choice. It had a rake of work done to it, 4 new bridgestones, new radiator, new clutch kit, all new copper brake lines, EBC pads and dimpled and grooved discs, lift bolts replaced and a massive folder of receipts, the chap who was selling it really loved it. interestingly it has a removable swan neck tow bar kit fitted. i'd still swap my own for it.

gas the way your man says "car looks mint", the front bumper was desperate (and still is if you look closely) with orange peel where it had been badly resprayed and the whole rest of the car had that Toyota red thing where the little white bubbles were coming up through it, so the bodywork while straight was actually fairly shabby.

it's almost decent bangernomics with 13 months test and 6 weeks tax, asking €2500.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

48214783.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-volvo-long-nct/10672871?offset=7

Seems to represent good value out of interest how much does a dpf repair on one of these costs and is it possible to get it removed or turned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

thought that too about the front bumper, looks faded and thought a possible gap to with the bonnet or maybe just the angle

does look ok car though

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »
    48214783.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-volvo-long-nct/10672871?offset=7

Seems to represent good value out of interest how much does a dpf repair on one of these costs and is it possible to get it removed or turned

pretty sure there was a recall on dpf issues on the s60

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

gas the way your man says "car looks mint", the front bumper was desperate (and still is if you look closely) with orange peel where it had been badly resprayed and the whole rest of the car had that Toyota red thing where the little white bubbles were coming up through it, so the bodywork while straight was actually fairly shabby.

it's almost decent bangernomics with 13 months test and 6 weeks tax, asking €2500.

I think its just a bad choice of word more than anything. I've mentioned it before here probably more than once at this stage but "mint" seems to be a word thats used inappropriately so often. Mint to me would imply that its in the same condition as when it left the factory as in when it was minted so as to speak.

If you read the rest of his comment he says : -
    "Body work for 12 years old car looks mint"

....which further highlights that the bodywork is not mint and he has used the word inappropriately. It would have made more sense if he said something along the lines of
    Body work for 12 years old car looks excellent.

Anyway, shocking that the previous seller only told you he was selling the car to someone else only after you had viewed the car and negotiated a price and presumably drove some distance to view the car. Presumably when you mention that you had chopped him down to €2,400 a deal of sorts was done. For him to renage after that and say he had the car promised to someone else would have me pretty angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

That must be the most fcuked up looking Cayenne I have ever seen. It wasn't even a particularly good looking car to begin with. why on earth someone would waste good money on making something ugly look even fookin worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Any opinions on this , I have no idea what to buy and my 18yo wrote off my 15 year old run around last week. I have about 7K to play with, I will be doing around 25K a year I reckon. I wouldnt mind something that could pull a load a few times a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have to say I quite like that. If Darth Vader drove a car, that would be it.
    You can say it certainly doesn't try to hide what it is or be timid about it. :D
    If you go it, flaunt it. If you ain't got it, flaunt it even more.

bennyc wrote: »
    Any opinions on this , I have no idea what to buy and my 18yo wrote off my 15 year old run around last week. I have about 7K to play with, I will be doing around 25K a year I reckon. I wouldnt mind something that could pull a load a few times a year.

The engines are supposed to be quite good, good price as well.

bennyc wrote: »

Looks like an ok proposition;

Given the Chevrolet badge, it's going to depreciate pretty ****ing rapidly, would you get half that price back for it next year? Probably not.

When it's washed up it looks well but they are dated looking and this will get worse with time, fit and finish is probably not its strongest point either.

Personally, I wouldn't, not for €6k.

What are your needs, we could make some suggedtions.

Looks like an ok proposition;

Given the Chevrolet badge, it's going to depreciate pretty ****ing rapidly, would you get half that price back for it next year? Probably not.

When it's washed up it looks well but they are dated looking and this will get worse with time, fit and finish is probably not its strongest point either.

Personally, I wouldn't, not for €6k.

What are your needs, we could make some suggestions.

Needs are ,
    25K - 30K Miles per year
    Family Car , two 6ft kids and a booster seat, boot space.

I have always wanted a 4x4 run around for taking home the turf and hitching a trailer to get rid of a load of grass (3/4 acre field to cut) , although that is more a wish list. My other car is a passat 07 with 190K on the clock so I am prob better off making the latest car the main one. I can stretch to more but would hope to stick to about 7K , 700 tax is not the end of the world but dont want to go to the 1K mark.

If you want something jeepy, a Santa Fe might be a good call.

This one is a bit of a high miler, but there's rafts of them in your budget. This one is a good spec, 7 seater, leather, climate control, auto, 4wd, they are actually a fairly nice place to be and still look fresh. They hold their value well and are decently reliable too.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9723110

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Those 2.2 diesels are supposed to be troublesome, no?

Not that i'm aware, other than the cliche "no worse than any other modern diesel". Unless time has been hard on them? When they were launched i never seen anything too crazy, the odd injector failure and the likes maybe, they are fairly fond of suspention busings and links but they are a cheap and quick repair, there was also campaigns out on the air con pulley and headlights on some models.

something about their oil sumps? cant remember now

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10985460

I'd love a Sport M, the factory seam welded chassis sounds like something you'd love to bore other enthusiasts with. That central rev gauge is fairly awesome too even if the redline is in the same place as my own. The kit appears to be mostly cosmetic as it makes roughly the same power as a standard model, only 8bhp more?

If you want something jeepy, a Santa Fe might be a good call.

This one is a bit of a high miler, but there's rafts of them in your budget. This one is a good spec, 7 seater, leather, climate control, auto, 4wd, they are actually a fairly nice place to be and still look fresh. They hold their value well and are decently reliable too.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9723110

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-grand-vitara-1-9-diesel/10783816?offset=16

A good few of these around, is there a way to ensure against DPF trouble ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

something about their oil sumps? cant remember now

I also think something goes wrong, along the lines of suspensions. Its a known fault. I cant think and ive no time to look.
    maybe someone else will know.

they were very hard on ARB bushings and somewhat prone to snapping rear drop links.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/10453948

best reg hiding job of the year goes to!

Don't know if anyone seen this, went for €36k in the end!

Screenshot_2015_12_03_10_55_54.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Don't know if anyone seen this, went for €36k in the end!...

What is it? Some sort of a Honda Civic??

• Advertisement

It's a late model (possibly one of the last?) of the EK Civic Type R and that one has only done 1300kms.

Just read there that they were ¥2.2m to buy new and that one sold for just shy of ¥3m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement