Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Ah, now the excuses begin :pac:

I had a long post written out but I won't bother. I'm done with the discussion about it. All I will say is that I was messaged by a few people about it afterwards saying how cheap it was. If you can't understand how it wasn't a cheap thing to do I really don't know what to say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I had a long post written out but I won't bother. I'm done with the discussion about it. All I will say is that I was messaged by a few people about it afterwards saying how cheap it was. If you can't understand how it wasn't a cheap thing to do I really don't know what to say to you.

Sorry for the jokey reply, didn't realise you were serious - what do you mean by cheap? Wasn't meaning to flame or anything, my apologies man.

Edit: If you mean having Cook on the team as a standin, I don't really agree - we had him as standin the first time we played you guys as well and you beat us! I messaged cherry to tell him we had to remake with a standin cause Kuruz' internet was messed up, and I'm sure I said it in all chat to you guys too. I seriously didn't realise you had an issue with it, this is the first you've said to me of it. Sorry again dude.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I wasn't able to play the final (why we lost ;)) and haven't seen the games or know what happened but after the first game people from other teams were complaining to me about it even though we won so I guess there was some dissent but nobody said anything, so can't really say anything to the team afterwards. One team I felt got the wrong end of the stick were knocked out in the lower bracket first round when they played a match there that consisted mostly of players from a team in the upper bracket finals as standins, which was a bit much.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Oh you're talking about our game? That we unfairly lost? :P

Anyways it's all in the past this point, as I've said before the next tourney will have much stricter rules enforced so that

a) Standin's don't come and go freely
    b) Games don't drag on for 2 months :P

I've been trying to play Skyrim among other games with my spare time. It just isn't the same as feeding I may have to reinstall quicker then I thought....

It didn't annoy me at the time Paul but when I thought about it afterwards it did feel quite cheap as the stand was the MVP in both games. It was friendly tournament lets forget about it just not something I would have done personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

About 70 hours of gameplay in and feel comfortable in pub games with sandking, and just learning shadow shaman. I rarely go solo and usually wait for my friends to come online.

Just to learn other hero mechanics, I random bot games until I find a hero I haven't yet tried. It happens occasionally that I play a hero whose ulti I cannot understand/master (ahem, brewmaster), but usually the guides are enough to get the basics.

I'd love to be able to random in pub games, but don't feel comfortable doing so yet in case I get something weird like Morphling and can't spend 5 mins paused to read about it. Can anybody suggest a list of the most complicated heros to learn about so I can do some homework?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Meepo/Naga/Visage are probably the most complicated if you don't have good micro skills.

You could try doing Timbersaw/Clockwerk offlane, they're always great heroes to learn and can often determine a teamfight with just one ulti pop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mojojojoprime

The more time you play the better it will be but some heroes are just awful to play as and against
    bloody Legion Commander hate her so much.

Agreed. My SK and my mate as Pudge were laning against Lifestealer and he tore us apart. My mate kept explaining to me that we had to get away any time there was any kind of engagement, but I couldn't get my head around the fact that we were 2v1 and couldn't do much without getting killed.

*sigh* so many hours in, still so much to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

The more time you play the better it will be but some heroes are just awful to play as and against
    bloody Legion Commander hate her so much.
    You haven't experienced the abomination that is Earth Spirit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 mojojojoprime

Oh I've seen him in action stupid stones flying around the place.
    I haven't tried to play him yet but a few mates have and find him hard enough to master.

With ES, you're either with a player who knocks the enemies away to safety, or against one who knows what he's doing. Also his rolling boulder range is just plain stupid.

Oh I've seen him in action stupid stones flying around the place.
    I haven't tried to play him yet but a few mates have and find him hard enough to master.
    It's ok, he can non channel aoe roar a team.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Agreed. My SK and my mate as Pudge were laning against Lifestealer and he tore us apart. My mate kept explaining to me that we had to get away any time there was any kind of engagement, but I couldn't get my head around the fact that we were 2v1 and couldn't do much without getting killed.

*sigh* so many hours in, still so much to learn

honestly, it'll be about a year before you are actually comfortable in the game.

yeah es is absolutely bullshit. does his ulti need to last so long as well? broodmother is also completely stupid atm. why give her the ability to walk over terrain... so unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Iv played a small bit of this and am ok at the basics of it but when it comes to items im totally lost, I just saw the hero builds option. Does that work for people who have tried it?

If you know what situation you're facing it's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

If you know what situation you're facing it's great :)

Im re downloading dota now so will try it out later. Does it give you the order you rank up your abilities or is it solely for items?

It does both.

20 minute courier in a game yesterday!

1506688_10151967753483635_2015713894_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

20 minute courier in a game yesterday!]

25 minutes for a flying courier in an all pick game last week for me.

That pic is awesome btw.

• Advertisement

Was going for a rapier on Jakriro but my noob team ended it too quickly.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/481207177

Team randoms riki, picks spectre. Time to make space. CM/Alch, no morals.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/481379040

While we're at it, anyone want have a look at IO's item build and see where he went wrong? ;)

http://dotabuff.com/matches/482817796

Decided to random pick a few games. All seems to go well but when it goes bad, it goes horribly, horribly wrong very fast.

I can get the hang of the playstyle of most new heros by about levels 5-8 by a combination of reading the build guides and having played against them previously. However, I randomed Doom and hadn't a notion what to do. Most guides were jungle/hard carries, so I started jungling. Jugg ended up being solo lane against broodmother and weaver, so screamed at me to come down and help. As soon as I warded the lane, he started feeding like crazy and blamed me.

Probably the quickest defeat ever @ 23mins. Even now, I'm still not sure if I was the worst hero on the team or not.

Well if you randomed Doom and he picked Juggernaut after, it's his fault. 2 invis heroes on one lane is bad for them and can be easy for you to win but if you randomed after him, it's kind of your fault then :P A good support with sentries alongside Doom/Jugger would have meant toast for those 2 heroes.

Decided to random pick a few games. All seems to go well but when it goes bad, it goes horribly, horribly wrong very fast.

I can get the hang of the playstyle of most new heros by about levels 5-8 by a combination of reading the build guides and having played against them previously. However, I randomed Doom and hadn't a notion what to do. Most guides were jungle/hard carries, so I started jungling. Jugg ended up being solo lane against broodmother and weaver, so screamed at me to come down and help. As soon as I warded the lane, he started feeding like crazy and blamed me.

Probably the quickest defeat ever @ 23mins. Even now, I'm still not sure if I was the worst hero on the team or not.
    In this situation, you sacrifice your jugg since you do nothing as doom until lvl 6. You rice like no tomorrow, go midas + carry items if your team sucks, some utility items into carry if they don't. It's pretty inevitable the jugg will have a horrible time but he's going to get solo xp. So trundle yourself down at lvl 6 with a dust, hope he's lvl 6 (and knows how his ult works) and kill one of them to get him back into the game. If that fails, roll your eyes and abandon him and either go kill other lanes or rice some more.

If you're looking at the built in hero guides, the 6.79 guides are more up to date. Most of the jungling guides are well out of date and its definitely optimal to lane Doom now that the jungle and midas have been nerfed. That said, if you're in all pick and you're short of supports, then screw the lane, since jugger is going to compete with you for farm. Tell him next time, not be be a douche and to pick a support instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

New Patch Notes

EDIT JUST SEEN THE THREAD ABOUT IT
    Here I was thinking I was first for all the sweet sweet internet points

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I cannot wait for Random Ability mode, can you bloody Imagine getting Divided we stand, combined with ****ing anything ! 4 Pugna ward, 4 Shallow Graves, TWO Magic missiles at level 3 now lol, some heroes surely will be banned from the mode !

• Advertisement

Another "Ranked Matchmaking is Broken" post.

From start to finish Luna decides her role in the game is to afk farm instead of pushing for towers. After 56 minutes she still doesn't have a Satanic and has dealt less tower damage than the disrupter support. Spends the entire game flaming us in the chat. GG.

If it wasn't for this clown I'd have an 11 game winning streak.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/487103415

Advertisement