Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So the F2P stuff is making it's way in.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/22/dota-2-patch-files-tease-microtransactions-masks-taunts-and-dr-kleiner-included/#comments

Unsure how I feel about some of them. Needs more Pimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Well as long as you have full access to the whole hero pool, cosmetics won't bother me that much, as long as ... in tournaments they disable it.

Couriers and announcers are pretty standard and to be honest I like it, as for skins, as long as they are not silly and fit into the lore thats fine with me

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Got myself an invite, its pretty sweet. The unfair bots are brutal, much easier to play against real people. I'll only look to the bots if i'm trying out a champ with tricky mechanics.
    I'm having trouble with the interface somewhat (partly moving over from lol, and partly it's not the greatest) but i did have fun killing things on Lich.

dibkins wrote: »
    Got myself an invite, its pretty sweet. The unfair bots are brutal, much easier to play against real people. I'll only look to the bots if i'm trying out a champ with tricky mechanics.
    I'm having trouble with the interface somewhat (partly moving over from lol, and partly it's not the greatest) but i did have fun killing things on Lich.

Aye they still have a long way to go, I take issues with the picking screen, the single draft is counter intuitive, at least show us what the others also have, and PLEASE GOD make it enforce your pick after 1 minute, so its not a Mexican stand off to counter pick when the creeps are close to spawning.

But I have seen some great ideas on the dev forums, I played alot of HoN so I am used to the big UI, but I would also like to see some kind of UI scaling.

Lich is a great great hero to start with, but don't just stick to the supports who don't need farm, farming in DoTA 2 is more difficult than LoL, so pick carries as well and practice farming, I would reccomend Juggernaut for a fun first carry, his Q is a spin to win ( garens, but you are magic immune ), his W is a healing ward, you don't have the mana to spam it early but it is ****ing OP if you can hide it from people, his E is a passive chance to Crit giving him his carry potential and his Ultimate is akin to that new hero in LoL Fiora's ultimate except at lot deadlier if you catch 1/2 opponents alone.

Go Skeleton King, stun, crits, life steal AND a second life. What more could you want when your starting off.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks. i was wondering what champs to try out.
    I was playing Lich solo top, i got left there for some reason and ended up with the most CS of anyone in the match (a stellar 68!) which i though was hilarious since i spent half my time trying to figure out how to deny with the A key. I was 4/2/6 when the other team had 3 rage quits. Lots of fun:P
    I'm gonna start last hit practice early here allright, and the move animation interrupt thing seems quite important. i've not come accross that in lol. for now i'm just trying to get a grip on what exaclty is going on on the battlefield.

dibkins wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. i was wondering what champs to try out.
    I was playing Lich solo top, i got left there for some reason and ended up with the most CS of anyone in the match (a stellar 68!) which i though was hilarious since i spent half my time trying to figure out how to deny with the A key. I was 4/2/6 when the other team had 3 rage quits. Lots of fun:P
    I'm gonna start last hit practice early here allright, and the move animation interrupt thing seems quite important. i've not come accross that in lol. for now i'm just trying to get a grip on what exaclty is going on on the battlefield.

Generally most princples from LoL carry over, some don't and new concepts are brought in.

Most of the common questions have been answered here,

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/otygb/switching_from_league_of_legends_what_should_i/

Also I can't stress this enough, Dota2 has carries and hard carries. Hard carries tend to be quite week early game and are dependant on their CS (go hard or go home I guess). They are the toughest champs to play because they have a lot of weight riding on them doing well. Such champs include Faceless Void, Anti Mage, OutWorld Destoryer etc. These champs NEED gold else they provide f*ck all use.

To be honest reading **** is a waste of time, just playing regularly is how to get decent and understand the game. Yeah read if you need to get the very basics but you're better off just throwing yourself in the deep end while queuing with friends if possible.

To be honest reading **** is a waste of time, just playing regularly is how to get good and understand the game. Yeah read if you need to the very basics but you're better off just throwing yourself in the deep end while queuing with friends if possible.

No it isn't. If your a LoL player there are a lot of concepts in Dota that aren't going to be explained to you and that the game presumes you already know. If you have a friend who knows their stuff talking you through it then yeah it serves no purpose but for someone who wants to quickly find some answers it's a great source of info.

Aye its very hero dependent, for example for melee, anti Mage has a nice quick attack animation with not much follow through, while Tide's forward swing takes eon's, and with ranged Lina has the longest attack point but the highest ( afaik ) starting range, while Sniper has the smallest attack point ( almost melee with no travel time ) but a very weak base damage to start with.

My favorite attack animations are Sven, Naix and Rhasta, dunno why I am just used to them.

One of my favorite combo's to do with a mate is Naix in the jungle, and Beast master mid, once your both level six, have Naix Jump into Beast masters hawk and fly it behind the enemy, then pounce out when a fight starts xD , Or have a blink like Queen of Pain, or even Storm Spirit with a large mana pool can bring the two of you into a fight

• Advertisement

To be honest reading **** is a waste of time, just playing regularly is how to get decent and understand the game. Yeah read if you need to get the very basics but you're better off just throwing yourself in the deep end while queuing with friends if possible.

The first thing you will learn is not to give Dragon Knight First blood

Stev_o wrote: »
    No it isn't. If your a LoL player there are a lot of concepts in Dota that aren't going to be explained to you and that the game presumes you already know. If you have a friend who knows their stuff talking you through it then yeah it serves no purpose but for someone who wants to quickly find some answers it's a great source of info.

So you're just basing this on your own experience am I right?

I came from HoN didn't read anything at all, jumped into the game and was absolutely fine. Nearly sure I am queued in one of the higher tiers as I've been on teams or vs teams with people I've seen in casts. I am average at best but my point is I got to that mediocre level from just playing. The people on my vent that do all the reading up about the game and just watch casts all the time while not playing are the ones that are armless when it comes to inhouses so I am basing what I said on a few people I've seen personally so take what you want from that. I think it's proven in anything though that you get better at something by grinding at it.

GO_Bear wrote: »
    The first thing you will learn is not to give Dragon Knight First blood

Ha that game was a mess!

Oh and post your steam here, or PM me it and I will add you lads and see if we can get more games going, at the moment I only really play games with Tar and one with KaG in the last while, so I have been playing with ze germans, which is fun but I cannot understand what they are saying :/

Oh and post your steam here, or PM me it and I will add you lads and see if we can get more games going, at the moment I only really play games with Tar and one with KaG in the last while, so I have been playing with ze germans, which is fun but I cannot understand what they are saying :/

Sorry about that ya I am rarely on during the week anymore :( . Playing alot of 7 a side and when I do get on at the weekends the lads from my vent are at me to get a few in :( . Funny though when we play we regularly win! That DK game was just a total mess. You were fully farmed by 25 minutes!

I came from HoN didn't read anything at all, jumped into the game and was absolutely fine. Nearly sure I am queued in one of the higher tiers as I've been on teams or vs teams with people I've seen in casts. I am average at best but my point is I got to that mediocre level from just playing. The people on my vent that do all the reading up about the game and just watch casts all the time while not playing are the ones that are armless when it comes to inhouses so I am basing what I said on a few people I've seen personally so take what you want from that. I think it's proven in anything though that you get better at something by grinding at it.

Ha that game was a mess!

Your coming from HoN which was a straight copy of Dota, go figure. Does a LoL player know what runes are? Do they know where they spawn? At what time? Do they know what cheese is? That's not even half of it.

Your coming off your experiences of HoN so why advise someone coming from LoL where it's an entirely different system?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I came from HoN didn't read anything at all, jumped into the game and was absolutely fine...

Hon is much more similar to Dota than LoL is. I'd definitely recommend LoL players trying the game out to do some reading up.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Your coming from HoN which was a straight copy of Dota, go figure. Does a LoL player know what runes are? Do they know where they spawn? At what time? Do they know what cheese is? That's not even half of it.

Your coming off your experiences of HoN so why advise someone coming from LoL where it's an entirely different system?

A number of people I play with came from LoL , the ones that play regularly are the ones that are at a better level by far.

Sorry about that ya I am rarely on during the week anymore :( . Playing alot of 7 a side and when I do get on at the weekends the lads from my vent are at me to get a few in :( . Funny though when we play we regularly win! That DK game was just a total mess. You were fully farmed by 25 minutes!

Its grand, I have not been able to play alot as well, Busy at work, so maybe one game a night, Last week I had an almost 7 game win streak and I am paying for it now, some of the teams ... some of the enemy teams :( We lost to an Anti mage with a 138 CS afer 38 minutes, and he actually thought he was good :( I had that after 12 minutes on DK !

Its grand, I have not been able to play alot as well, Busy at work, so maybe one game a night, Last week I had an almost 7 game win streak and I am paying for it now, some of the teams ... some of the enemy teams :( We lost to an Anti mage with a 138 CS afer 38 minutes, and he actually thought he was good :( I had that after 12 minutes on DK !

I should be on tonight now that I think of it. I'll get a few games in if I can!

I am not on tonight mate, well I might be between 6 and 9, but not any later, But I do need a win :/

• Advertisement

A number of people I play with came from LoL , the ones that play regularly are the ones that are at a better level by far.

Eh of course? Im not telling him to go read up for 9 hours and play 1 single game a day and through this process he will understand the game. Your completely missing the point that's being made here. Here's a post with a lot of questions that LoL players will ask with answers. Have a read through them to clear things up if your lost.

i had already read the reddit primer. Very handy. For example, i got terribly confused as to why i was unable to move my character, while my teammate was chasing a flying donkey around - reason, i was at that point controlling the flying donkey:( After reading the guide i did a lot better in my game the next day. Its just things like reading how much more damage the creeps do and how much less damage the towers do was very handy. Yes, i would have learned it from playing too, but even with my experience in lol i find the dota battlefields quite confusing still and i can't really pinpoint where i'm being damaged from, or if i jsut have a weak character or what. Tips like, don't buy boots 1st were hand too.
    Don't worry, i won't be reading up any more unless i have some specific questions:P

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hunter px1

Is there a chat channel set up in game for boards.ie? or is everyone still sticking to Teamspeak?

Also Druid added this week on test realms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've had a beta invite for months but there's no bloody Mac client!

Im still looking for any spare keys or ones floating around to give to two mates of mine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

OmYUa.jpg?1

Will still probably be better then half the AM's out there by default.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

some hero prices leaked

AJZb9.jpg

• Advertisement

Ahhh I c what you did thar :pac:

Advertisement