Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot lands Boeing 767 carrying 230 people without landing gear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Biedronka wrote: »
    -yes because your stereotypes about polish people drives me crazy!

(we all drink gallons of vodka, live 20 people in 2 bed, eat swans and there are polar bears in poland...)

What I love is that in spite of your posts, your username is still pronounced "Be Drunk. Ah."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

radia wrote: »
    Similarly, Capt Sullengerger who safely landed in the Hudson river a couple of years ago had a glider background.

I just finished reading Chesley Sullenberger's book the other night - he made a point of mentioning that he didn't think his previous gliding experience had any benefit to him. Something to do with a glider being designed to glide compared to the Airbus falling out of the sky at a rate comparable to a lift falling two stories every second...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

seamus wrote: »
    What I love is that in spite of your posts, your username is still pronounced "Be Drunk. Ah."

http://www.ivona.com/?tk=ac6XSD8CFC

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

If movies have taught me anything, what they should have done was get someone down into the belly of the aircraft via a lift in the galley, and give the landing gear a good boot to free it up. Probably a dead terrorist caught in the mechanism.

I would have thought a priest if there was one on board and some sticky tape would have done the job as well, a good tape dispenser also helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Broads.ie wrote: »
    Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Isn't this against the charter these days?

If so, why is it being flouted again and again these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If movies have taught me anything, what they should have done was get someone down into the belly of the aircraft via a lift in the galley, and give the landing gear a good boot to free it up. Probably a dead terrorist caught in the mechanism.

Yeah they just didn't try hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Yeah, I am sure you are so brilliant at spelling french or german (bet you don't even know irish!!)

Anyway POLISH PILOTS are known as the best so no wonder...

Oh are you Polish? Then that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh are you Polish? Then that's ok.
    Good job: Grammar Nazi attacks a Pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You can rest assured that there will be a serious in depth investigation into exactly what has failed, there are emergency systems to get landing gear down in the event of a hydraulics failure, and for all 3 sets to hang up means that something fundamental happened to the system to prevent the backups from operating.

Do we know all 3 failed though? If the nose wheel failed for example, then it would possibly be better landing with none of the landing gear down.

Passengers from that plane were saying they didn't even feel landing was without wheels and plane was assisted by two f16 before landing -pilots of f16 were giving information about landing gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Charter:
    If a post is illegible, contains excessive text speak or lacks paragraphs/punctuation etc., you may point it out nicely. Once

Well I guess than you're on a last warning Broads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Yeah, I am sure you are so brilliant at spelling french or german (bet you don't even know irish!!)

Anyway POLISH PILOTS are known as the best so no wonder...

Well they'd have to be to fly all the badly maintained airliners, what with the mechanics being out of their heads on vodka and all:D

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Well they'd have to be to fly all the badly maintained airliners, what with the mechanics being out of their heads on vodka and all:D

-not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

-not funny

You can give it, but you can't take it.

Get a bleedin sense of humour! This is After Hours on Boards FFS.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Get a bleedin sense of humour!

-I do have sense of humour, but this isn't funny AT ALL>

Biedronka have you been drinking vodka tonight?

Biedronka have you been drinking vodka tonight?

No, I don't like it and I don't drink it (maybe bloody mary twice a year, but it wasnt today)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Passengers from that plane were saying they didn't even feel landing was without wheels

That's because they were so tanked on Vodka

OMG who reported me? What sort of dweeb would report a post like that? It was even thanked by a mod. I hardly broke the charter.

Anyway, I've run out of things to say about this Polish pilot other than, I want whatever vodka he was drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

impressive.

but our ryan air pilots would refuel in twenty minutes and atempt a take off without the undercarriage.

polish -impressive

michael o' leary- remove the undercarriage( proven by poles as unessessary waste of space) and fit some more passangers in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OMG who reported me? What sort of dweeb would report a post like that

I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

new optional extra for Ryanair

Landing Gear €5 per person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    You registered just to post that :D

-yes because your stereotypes about polish people drives me crazy!

(we all drink gallons of vodka, live 20 people in 2 bed, eat swans and there are polar bears in poland...)

No sense of humour either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

:confused: I have been living in Poland for 25 years of my life and nobody in my family or friends was drinking vodka after visiting graveyard.
    This is just your fantasy.

ps: and look who drinks gallons... http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel_200/218_travel_top_ten.html

You certainly nailed it there Biedronka, judging by the tetchy replies. They give it but can't take it.
    Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Today's a bank holiday (all Saint Day, everyone goes to the graveyard and then home for gallons of vodka) in Poland & they had the President there on tele a few mins ago, looking like he'd been at the vodka all day with the family. Sporting a fine Movember and all.
    Far play to the pilot tho in all seriousness, Poland's been having a bad time of it recently with train & bus crashes and the big plane crash in Ukraine that they had to take the blame for.

Didn't the Polish presidents own twin brother and predecessor not die in a plane crash last year ? You can see then, why he might not be in top form when on telly dealing with another plane crash or near crash. No vodka required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Passengers from that plane were saying they didn't even feel landing was without wheels and plane was assisted by two f16 before landing -pilots of f16 were giving information about landing gear.

Not F-16, try MIG-29's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Makes the Hudson landing look a bit tamer...but the Hudson one probably took more skill. Can only imagine what the noise in the cabin must have been like... I hope in this case there was a loud round of applause after it came to a halt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

tolosenc wrote: »
    That's true of most flights, I reckon.

Smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

gatecrash wrote: »
    Not F-16, try MIG-29's

They have both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They have both.

I didn't say that they didn't. The intercept/wheel check was carried out by Fulcrums though

Advertisement