Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot lands Boeing 767 carrying 230 people without landing gear

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

I think landing on water must be much easier then on concrete..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ScumLord wrote: »
    I doubt that...

It's just that when I was watching the making of the A380 I'm fairly sure they said that if the the power fails for whatever reason the landing gear can be deployed by gravity as a fail safe type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Biedronka wrote: »

Not a fukking chance! Too many variables landing on water, unpredictable surface, waves etc, much more chance of a plane digging an engine/wing into the water and cartwheeling and disintegrating.
    Same applies for landing on the grass beside a runway, a big no no! Concrete or tarmac runway with plenty of foam is by far the safest to land on if you need to do it with your gear up.

It's just that when I was watching the making of the A380 I'm fairly sure they said that if the the power fails for whatever reason the landing gear can be deployed by gravity as a fail safe type of thing.

You are correct sir.

• Advertisement

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Not a fukking chance! Too many variables landing on water, unpredictable surface, waves etc, much more chance of a plane digging an engine/wing into the water and cartwheeling and disintegrating.
    Same applies for landing on the grass beside a runway, a big no no! Concrete or tarmac runway with plenty of foam is by far the safest to land on if you need to do it with your gear up.

not to mention you cant sink and drown on a runway!

Saila wrote: »
    not to mention you can sink and drown on a runway!

Do you mean can't?:D

It's also quite difficult to get the fire trucks to the scene if you ditch in water!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

not to mention you cant sink and drown on a runway!
    No but you can burn to death in a fire. Each is equally bad in it's own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The problem with the hudson landing was that he had no power so had to manage his speed, pitch etc and couldnt afford any mistakes. The fact that he had a large area of calm water was the saviour in new york IMO. He could control his airspeed and his pitch and keep his wings dead level and still know he was going to touch down in the calm water. If he had to try to do all this and at the same time reach the ground at an exact location, things might have been impossible.

The polish landing is excellent. If he skidded off the side of the runway and an engine dug in, they would be all killed Id say. I dont know how much control the pilot would have had of the aircraft direction once he touched down, some rudder control I suppose but as the speed dropped he would probably have very little directional control. If there was any significant crosswind, I dont think he would have a chance. Great landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

-yes because your stereotypes about polish people drives me crazy!

(we all drink gallons of vodka, live 20 people in 2 bed, eat swans and there are polar bears in poland...)

There are polar bears in Poland? :eek::eek:
    So it was the polar bears that ate all the swan's, makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Aw i wanted to see where the plane hit the tarmac. Not skidding along. Balls to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

we all ... eat swans

In Soviet Poland swan eats you?

:pac:

Not equal I'm afraid, a gear up landing on a runway is a thousand times safer than on water. I could post link after link after link of aircraft landing safely on runways with gear up. The safe landing on the Hudson was an absolute freak of everything going exactly right. The vast majority of unscheduled landings on water end with a broken up plane and plenty of dead bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The hudson is the first ever successful plane dump in water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Wow... one of the rare times that making skid marks is the least of your worries :O

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If movies have taught me anything, what they should have done was get someone down into the belly of the aircraft via a lift in the galley, and give the landing gear a good boot to free it up. Probably a dead terrorist caught in the mechanism.

The movies have a lot to answer for!

it's not possible, the landing gear is outside of the area that is pressurised, so there's no access from the cabin to the landing gear area.

You can rest assured that there will be a serious in depth investigation into exactly what has failed, there are emergency systems to get landing gear down in the event of a hydraulics failure, and for all 3 sets to hang up means that something fundamental happened to the system to prevent the backups from operating. Might have been something like the Up system didn't de pressurise, so the drop system wasn't able to overcome that pressure, but the investigators have the crew and a pretty much a complete airplane to investigate the reasons, so they are not going to have to do too much guessing or speculating.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Aw i wanted to see where the plane hit the tarmac. Not skidding along. Balls to that.

Take your pick.
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?regsearch=SP-LPC

Not equal I'm afraid, a gear up landing on a runway is a thousand times safer than on water. I could post link after link after link of aircraft landing safely on runways with gear up. The safe landing on the Hudson was an absolute freak of everything going exactly right. The vast majority of unscheduled landings on water end with a broken up plane and plenty of dead bodies.
    The hudson is the first ever successful plane dump in water.

he meant drowing in a river is equally bad as burning to death on a runway

what about a video of the touching down? pics dont tell me anything I want to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

This is just your fantasy

nope you're wrong koles, big auld get together in my gaff in Kato, herself's family all go put the flowers on the graves and then come back here for a ton of grub and vodka and a sing song.
    lolz on your landing in water comment. even if he'd a landed in the auld woda, there are way too many bridges along the Wisła and to try and find a straight stretch of water to land it would be a hard job too...... the body count woulda been huge.

Anyway lemme get back to the vodka, we're all raisin our glasses to Mr. Tadeusz Wrona tonight, heroic stuff altogether. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

it's not possible, the landing gear is outside of the area that is pressurised, so there's no access from the cabin to the landing gear area.

Rubbish! How did Wesley Snipes do it? Or Arnie? You telling me they faked that? Next you'll be telling me they faked the landing in Airplane or the mid-air Concorde-Missile sequence in Airport 80, or whatever it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Rubbish! How did Wesley Snipes do it? Or Arnie? You telling me they faked that? Next you'll be telling me they faked the landing in Airplane or the mid-air Concorde-Missile sequence in Airport 80, or whatever it was.

At this point i think its important to establish that one Fr. Ted Crilly pioneered crawling out of an pressurised plane

what about a video of the touching down? pics dont tell me anything I want to know

http://www.flyinginireland.com/component/option,com_hwdvideoshare/Itemid,/lang,en/task,viewvideo/video_id,104/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

No offence but I think Hollywood knows more about planes than you do. If there isn't a lift down from the galley, you can usually get down there by taking a panel off in the jacks.

There's even a manual override for the landing gear, a big red button that flashes red when the gear is jammed - why would they put that there if you can't get down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Don't be to quick to compliment the pilot, most flight incidence are due to pilot or human error.

But glad it all worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

"Pilot lands Boeing 767 carrying 230 people without landing gear".

I don't know any people with landing gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

-yes because your stereotypes about polish people drives me crazy!

It's revenge for slagging us off in Polish behind the deli counter in Spar :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

maddragon wrote: »
    "Pilot lands Boeing 767 carrying 230 people without landing gear".

I don't know any people with landing gear.
    Grab your coat. You may now exit the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

herself's family all go put the flowers on the graves and then come back here for a ton of grub and vodka and a sing song.

I can only imagine that family...:pac:

• Advertisement

Broads.ie wrote: »
    Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Than.

Yeah, I am sure you are so brilliant at spelling french or german (bet you don't even know irish!!)

Anyway POLISH PILOTS are known as the best so no wonder...

Advertisement