Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot lands Boeing 767 carrying 230 people without landing gear

Options
  • 01-11-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Sky
    A plane carrying 230 people has crash landed in Warsaw.

All the passengers on board escaped without injury.
    The flight from New Jersey to Warsaw was filmed as it touched down without its landing gear.
    Emergency services raced to the Boeing 767 aircraft in order to put out a small fire after it skidded down the runway.
    The plane, operated by Polish airline LOT, had circled the airport for an hour but the crew were unable to get the landing gear to work.
    The pilot dumped excess fuel before attempting the landing.
    The airport has been closed until tomorrow morning following the incident.

Click the link to watch the vid... Seriously well done by the pilot..

I'd assume there was skidmarks afterwards.. Not just on the landing strip :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ryanair crash land a few hundred flights every day & it never makes the news headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

All the passengers on board escaped without injury.

Meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That's extremely rare. Normally at least two wheels are down. It's a friggin' miracle it stayed in one piece tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ConorLSB

Fair fucks to the pilot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Many of the LOT pilots would be ex-Air Force. I wonder if that was the case here. Some super flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'll have to buy that pilot a Tyskie next time I see him :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

He landed without landing gears down :eek:

That has to be the most epic landing I've ever seen, so smooth and the plane so intact. Incredible. If it wasn't for the pilot there'd be no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Tons of foam covering the runway is very handy to have in these situations .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Thread title needs more cow bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'd say the main damage was in the mini-bar section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If it wasn't for the pilot there'd be no chance.

That's true of most flights, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Thread title needs more cow bell.

Done and done.. Got something better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Hate to quibble about the title of the thread, but it was a crash landing rather than a crash. Fair dues to the pilot, but anyone put in charge of a jetliner by a respected airline would have managed the same feat under equivalent conditions. He had enough time to jettison fuel, the runway was probably covered with foam ---:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Unbelievable Tekkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I thought that landing gear dropped out by gravity if the power fails.

no?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Apparently Capt Eugeniusz Wronahis has 20 years experience on the 767, as well as a background as a glider pilot (member of Polish National Team in Glider Aerobatics), which probably helped in keeping the exact angle needed to land smoothly.

Similarly, Capt Sullengerger who safely landed in the Hudson river a couple of years ago had a glider background.

Seemingly there's an electric motor that unlocks the main gear doors and nose wheels, so its failure could potentially keep things locked up out of gravity's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Sheee-it, I'm flying to the US tomorrow on board a 767, better bring my inflatable anti-hemorrhoid doughnut cushion just in case :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Today's a bank holiday (all Saint Day, everyone goes to the graveyard and then home for gallons of vodka) in Poland & they had the President there on tele a few mins ago, looking like he'd been at the vodka all day with the family. Sporting a fine Movember and all.
    Far play to the pilot tho in all seriousness, Poland's been having a bad time of it recently with train & bus crashes and the big plane crash in Ukraine that they had to take the blame for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Fair play to the pilot, I would hate to have been a passenger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Give that man a Bass

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Really great piece of flying there, passengers safe, plane intact bonus, job done.

Harsh to even call it a crash landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

Today's a bank holiday (all Saint Day, everyone goes to the graveyard and then home for gallons of vodka) in Poland & they had the President there on tele a few mins ago, looking like he'd been at the vodka all day with the family.

:confused: I have been living in Poland for 25 years of my life and nobody in my family or friends was drinking vodka after visiting graveyard.
    This is just your fantasy.

ps: and look who drinks gallons... http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel_200/218_travel_top_ten.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,922 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My old man helps engineer and build them Boeing planes. I'm sure he's delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If movies have taught me anything, what they should have done was get someone down into the belly of the aircraft via a lift in the galley, and give the landing gear a good boot to free it up. Probably a dead terrorist caught in the mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Biedronka wrote: »
    :confused: I have been living in Poland for 25 years of my life and nobody in my family or friends was drinking vodka after visiting graveyard.
    This is just your fantasy.

You registered just to post that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Overheal wrote: »
    My old man helps engineer and build them Boeing planes. I'm sure he's delighted.

Not if he engineers the poxy landing gear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    You registered just to post that :D

-yes because your stereotypes about polish people drives me crazy!

(we all drink gallons of vodka, live 20 people in 2 bed, eat swans and there are polar bears in poland...)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought that landing gear dropped out by gravity if the power fails.

no?
    I doubt that, in most cases you'd probably want it to stay in, if the plane loses power during a flight they're going to want the plane to stay in the air for as long as possible as it gives them more time to fix the problem. If the landing gear came down at that point it would dramatically slow down the plane reducing the amount of time they have to fix the problemr. The size and complexity of these planes probably means manual options can't be used any more but they're supposed to have loads of redundancy built into the system to counteract that.

All these accidents make planes safer in the long run so at least no one had to die for this improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

WOW, just WOW!

I'd of had seven shades of ****e running down me trousers had I of been on the flight.

That pilot has some skill. 'Well done him' just seems too drab to describe it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Biedronka wrote: »
    we all drink gallons of vodka, live 20 people in 2 bed, eat swans and there are polar bears in poland...)

Wow, you Polish reallly are crazy!

Advertisement