Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Priests

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

FIT :cool:

unless you're a 12 year old boy I'm not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Any cult that practices ritualistic cannibalism every week deserves to be ridiculed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

AG2R wrote: »
    unless you're a 12 year old boy I'm not interested.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

:eek:

I've got to keep with the rest of the clergy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

They should dress up as atheists. Throw on the ol' Soviet style "Comrade O' Learychenko" suit and send people off to gulags to wither away.

Only one person can be Stalin though!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

People dress up as scary characters at halloween.

Paedophiles are scary by nature, hence people dress up as priests!

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

orourkeda wrote: »

Nothing like i thought it would be, i want my money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

HovaBaby wrote: »
    They should dress up as atheists. Throw on the ol' Soviet style "Comrade O' Learychenko" suit and send people off to gulags to wither away.

Only one person can be Stalin though!

I had a quick look at the census and there seems to be a lot of atheists in the country. A worryingly large social group. I am very afraid of these people and need to recognise them so as to prevent them from eating my children. Can you post pictures of common or garden Irish atheists attired as you describe so i know what to look out for. There must be heaps of them but i have not seen any. Thanks for the heads up friend.
    Awaiting pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I'm guessing you don't think much of those sexy nun costumes so huh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Nowt wrong with My costume ! I even Scored !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

voz es wrote: »
    I dont get it, dressing up as a priest making the sgin of the cross having a big cross around your neck, mock confessions etc. It's plain wrong , mocking something that millions of people strongly believe in. How is this acceptable in modern age Ireland with our culture of being right and fair. I'm not saying i'm perfect like, sure i laughed my ass of watching Fr. Ted as a young lad.

Do ye think this is right and if so why?
    Is it ok to mock anything as long as it is funny?

religion is silly, and it should be mocked at every given opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I dont get it, dressing up as a priest making the sgin of the cross having a big cross around your neck, mock confessions etc. It's plain wrong , mocking something that millions of people strongly believe in. How is this acceptable in modern age Ireland with our culture of being right and fair. I'm not saying i'm perfect like, sure i laughed my ass of watching Fr. Ted as a young lad.

Do ye think this is right and if so why?
    Is it ok to mock anything as long as it is funny?
    why do people think that dressing up as someone is mocking them?

first we had it in the blacking up thread, now we have it here

what the fcuk is wrong with people these days

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

ronan45 wrote: »

Dammit... I had googled that costume to post, but alas I have been beaten to it!

See OP? Someone dressing up as a "regular" priest doesn't seem as bad now, eh? EH?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

My recollection is that it remains part of the statute law of Ireland that it is a criminal offence to impersonate a clergyman in a public place. Licensed theatrical productions were the only permitted exceptions. The prohibition goes back to time immemorial in the common law, but was given statutory effect no later than the 16th century in England, and by extension, in Ireland also. The Act was fortified repeatedly, notably in the middle of the 19th century, and the crime was defined more precisely. The offence can be committed in several ways, but it was primarily effected by appearing in a public in the 'dress or garb of a cleric or clergyman or minister of religion or priest or other person in holy orders or in a religious institute'. A manifest intent to deceive or mislead or mulct people did not form part of the mens rea, and no obligation lay on the prosecution to prove any such intent. The penalty has varied over time, from quite swingeing penalties in the more distant period, to imprisonment in the 20th century.

A defence that a Hallowe'en event amounted to a theatrical performacne might be made out, but it might also fall foul of the determination of the district judges, who are, notoriously, a law unto themselves. Beware.

There would also be available to the prosecuting authorities the possibility of relying on common law public order and similar powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

dressing up as someone does not necessarily mean impersonating them

Helix wrote: »
    dressing up as someone does not necessarily mean impersonating them

The law disagreed, and permitted an exception only for theatrical performances - in England from 1737 to 1968, for example, only for those plays licensed by the Lord Chamberlain. The presence of a character costumed as a clergyman in the cast of a play constituted grounds on which this theatrical censor could refuse to grant a license to stage the play. In all other contexts, it was treated as a serious offense for someone other than a clerk in holy orders to appear in an open place dressed as a clergyman. (There had been notorious cases of clerical impersonators deceiving widows, especially, as to their identity, and entering their confidence, to the ruination of those ladies of quality, both personally and financially.) Part of my previous post attempts to summarise the legal test applied. I am separated from my authorities at present, but I suspect that the provisions of the statute remain in force.

"The offence can be committed in several ways, but it was primarily effected by appearing in a public in the 'dress or garb of a cleric or clergyman or minister of religion or priest or other person in holy orders or in a religious institute'. A manifest intent to deceive or mislead or mulct people did not form part of the mens rea, and no obligation lay on the prosecution to prove any such intent."

Hugo Brady Brown

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

A taxi driver in Welling, Kent, has banned women dressed up as nuns from using his taxi, after several of them have, over the last few weeks, run off without paying their fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Going back to what i had written before, religion is not a disproved theory. Nobody has said anything to change my mind on the topic, mainly people telling me not to take it so serous, i'm not but i wont be dressing up as a priest either. Yes there are mistakes made everywhere and in every organisation, some far worse than others and many a problem has been started with propaganda.

If you wanted to highlight a negative about what a section of religion you can. but you could also have a long list highlighting the negatives of any culture or nation if you consider religion just another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Going back to what i had written before, religion is not a disproved theory. Nobody has said anything to change my mind on the topic, mainly people telling me not to take it so serous, i'm not but i wont be dressing up as a priest either. Yes there are mistakes made everywhere and in every organisation, some far worse than others and many a problem has been started with propaganda.

If you wanted to highlight a negative about what a section of religion you can. but you could also have a long list highlighting the negatives of any culture or nation if you consider religion just another opinion.

It's not disproved, neither is my theory that I'm actually Shazam, I just need to find the magic word that will activate my powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Going back to what i had written before, religion is not a disproved theory.

Yeah but it's only a theory loike!

• Advertisement

Batsy wrote: »
    A taxi driver in Welling, Kent, has banned women dressed up as nuns from using his taxi, after several of them have, over the last few weeks, run off without paying their fares.

Perhaps they were the genuine article.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

All agree that slavery is a negative action, there have been results from this action before that in my opinion were negative and thus i dismiss it as a negative action.

Not true - there are lots of cases today of maids coming here from overseas and having their passport held and forced to work 7 days a week for food and accommodation. These people obviously agree with slavery. No matter how far out a belief there is there will always be some people who agree with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Going back to what i had written before, religion is not a disproved theory.

Neither is the tooth fairy, the Yeti, alien abductions, Santa Claus, and a billion other things, many of them more likely than religion by which I take it you mean the existence of god etc. Doesn't mean I'm putting my wisdom tooth under the pillow tonight though!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

Ah, I get it. OP, show us where the fake priest touched you using this cute fake priest teddybear..

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

ronan45 wrote: »

:eek::eek:

:D Oh dear, my daughters bf went as a priest with a sign saying Im not here to serve im here to perve, that made me cringe a little but wow that one you posted has the shock factor. (couldn't help but giggle though)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donald_ducked

Funnist thing I saw on Halloween night was a fella and a girl dressed as a priest/nun riding down an alleyway beside a well known club in Dublin

True love

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

if you're gonna get a priest costume at least get one of these one's:

http://www.wtfcostumes.com/priest_with_kid_costume.php

Personally I blame the priests, if they didn't do the crime, i wouldn't be giving them my time ( @ halloween )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i was the pope the last 2 years and a nun this year. it went down a storm!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Congratulations. this post has pretty much zero relevance to the topic under discussion and fails to address any of the genuine questions put to you.
    About folk dressing up as witches. Offended?
    if not why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

If belief and an opinion were the same thing it would be one word.

eh... ever heard of a synonym?

Advertisement