Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Priests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

orourkeda wrote: »
    When are we going to change the record?

Seriously

When religious people finally decide just what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

voz es wrote: »
    pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Why is it important to respect other peoples opinions? What if it was their opinion that black people should be slaves again?[/QUOTe
    Fair point some opinions i would not respect or agree with. I dont view religion as just an opinion though its a belief and when there is no true answer of the outcome of having this belief its wrong to dismiss it. All agree that slavery is a negative action, there have been results from this action before that in my opinion were negative and thus i dismiss it as a negative action. So when somebody dismisses religion its a belief there dismissing and not a fact as they dont have all the answers of where it all started or where it will all finish. So its fair and reasonable for somebody to come to a conslusion of how it will all end up, be it just nothing, reincarnitation or an afterlife. Its not fair to dismiss something that you cant argue to be wrong. So its surley just ignorant to mock it .

its not ignorant to mock religion.

religion is an opinion, how is it not?

a belief and an opinion are the same thing. if you believe something to be true, then you have an opinion on the matter.

we all know how this is turning into a "you cant prove its wrong so therefore its right" bullshít argument thread.

cue the spaghetti monsters, rational atheist views and stubborn catholics. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Its such an easy costume though when ya cant be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Millions of people believe all sorts of shíte. Religion doesn't get a get out of jail free card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Didnt realise it offended the faithful :(

welp I know what I'm dressing up as...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Cianos wrote: »
    Many state Jedi as their religion. Are you as offended by those who dress up as Darth Vader?

Darth Vader was a Sith Lord, not a Jedi since he moved to the Dark Side! /pedant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I dont get it, dressing up as a priest making the sgin of the cross having a big cross around your neck, mock confessions etc. It's plain wrong

Why? What is wrong with dressing up as a Priest for a fancy dress? They fell off their privileged 'pedestal' quite a while ago, or did you miss the memo?
    How is this acceptable in modern age Ireland with our culture of being right and fair.

We might have those principles alright, but they seem to be sadly lacking in the Church you defend. What do they know about what is right or fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I would have thought that it was the most appropiate costume for the festival it is.

Sure isn't that what JesusWe'en is all about?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Just because millions of people believe something, doesn't mean its not made up pure horseshíte.

Exhibit A - The world is flat

Indeed, and how many billions of flies are convinced that sh1t tastes delicious?:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Dressing up in the garb of someone who carries around a little statue of a dead man nailed to a piece of wood, and who eats and drinks what he believes to be human flesh and blood on a regular basis, seems to be very much in the spirit of what Halloween has become. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

It isn't a new thing. I can remember people dressing up as priests and nuns as far back as the 80's when the Catholic Church had a lot more influence and power over Ireland. Indeed I can remember going to a Hallowe'en party as a kid where a nun and a priest won the prize for best costume - and the competition was being run by nuns and priests:D. Maybe you shouldn't take it so seriously OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

How is it any more offensive than dressing up as an angel, or as Jesus?

Everything can be laughed at. Everything can be funny. Nothing is unmockable. Nothing is above humour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

There it is. Now the thread descends into a george carlin tribute

Ask a question you get answers.
    The solution is to stop asking stupid questions.

I dont get it, dressing up as a priest making the sgin of the cross having a big cross around your neck, mock confessions etc. It's plain wrong , mocking something that millions of people strongly believe in. How is this acceptable in modern age Ireland with our culture of being right and fair. I'm not saying i'm perfect like, sure i laughed my ass of watching Fr. Ted as a young lad.

Do ye think this is right and if so why?
    Is it ok to mock anything as long as it is funny?

Do you feel the same about folk dressing up as witches?
    Paganism is a religion / spiritual belief and quite a few women were tortured and burnt at the stake by .........
    Well?

When are we going to change the record?

Seriously

When the record become incorrect . Until then let it play.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used to dress up as a priest but this year I'll dress up as a mullah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

From a moral point of view, I have no problem with theists having the píss taken out of their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It's plain wrong , mocking something that millions of people strongly believe in.

and so is child abuse, but that didn't stop the priests did it??

the catholic church lost all credibility along time ago imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

If belief and an opinion were the same thing it would be one word. Ah i'm not over passionate about this although i do think its wrong and as simple as. A lot of posters think i'm getting into that old arguemant and the replys reflect that. It is stupid to mock something you dont totally understand also ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Anyone dressing up as the prophet Mohammad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i went out last night dressed as a priest my friend dressed as a priest to and my cousin was out and he was a priest. I did priest because buddhist monk was to difficult

If belief and an opinion were the same thing it would be one word. Ah i'm not over passionate about this although i do think its wrong and as simple as. A lot of posters think i'm getting into that old arguemant and the replys reflect that. It is stupid to mock something you dont totally understand also ignorant.

Why is dressing up as something automatically mocking it. My kid dressed up as a Storm Trooper tonight. Was he mocking Star Wars?
    I have previously asked you how you feel about folk dressing up as witches. You know, pointy nose, warts,. green skin etc. Wicca and Paganism is a spiritual belief / religion held dear by more than a few people. The depiction of witches as evil old crones came about as propaganda by religious and medical institutions who basically wanted to corner that market. This eventually led to torture, and death by drowning, pressing and burning of thousands of women who did little more than herbal medicine. So tell me. Are you also of the opinion that it is stupid to dress up as a witch at Halloween. PS. My wife is a practicing Wiccan and couldnt give a monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

**** your god!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I dont get it, dressing up as a priest making the sgin of the cross having a big cross around your neck, mock confessions etc. It's plain wrong , mocking something that millions of people strongly believe in. How is this acceptable in modern age Ireland with our culture of being right and fair. I'm not saying i'm perfect like, sure i laughed my ass of watching Fr. Ted as a young lad.

Dear voz es,

I just wanted to inform you that I have dressed up as a priest as a fancy dress party before. After reading your opinion on that matter I feel very much enlightened by what you had to say and I have realised the error of my ways. I did not think of the potential offence that I might have caused my fellow party guests, and even though the party happened several months ago, I am going to write a letter of apology to the party host first thing tomorrow. I am also planning to attend the next confession at my local church in the hope that God will forgive me. In the mean time I am going to cry my guilt ridden self to sleep every night until I get to replenish my sins.

Yours faithfully,

Immaculate Pasta xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Of course it's okay to rip the p*ss out of priests. They're awful gobsh*tes for one, and for two, they're terrible eejits.

Nothing wrong with a mock confession. Even Better Than the Real Thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

AG2R wrote: »

And now a good many folk who have sex before marriage, use contraception, tolerate gays, dont believe in transubstantiation and eat meat on Fridays are really really cross with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

And now a good many folk who have sex before marriage, use contraception, tolerate gays, dont believe in transubstantiation and eat meat on Fridays are really really cross with you!

Oh noes:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Advertisement

AG2R wrote: »
    Oh noes:(

And what about all the celts, Druids, Wiccans and pagans who are offended by Christians celebrating their festival!!!!!!

I think what Im trying so say is that the OP is indulging in a wee bit of special pleading and needs to cop himself on just a teeny weeny bit.

Advertisement