Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Priests

Options
  • 31-10-2011 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

I dont get it, dressing up as a priest making the sgin of the cross having a big cross around your neck, mock confessions etc. It's plain wrong , mocking something that millions of people strongly believe in. How is this acceptable in modern age Ireland with our culture of being right and fair. I'm not saying i'm perfect like, sure i laughed my ass of watching Fr. Ted as a young lad.

Do ye think this is right and if so why?
    Is it ok to mock anything as long as it is funny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

In before the customary child abuse comment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The same could be said about Elvis and Darth Vader.

voz es wrote: »
    I dont get it, dressing up as a priest making the sgin of the cross having a big cross around your neck, mock confessions etc. It's plain wrong , mocking something that millions of people strongly believe in. How is this acceptable in modern age Ireland with our culture of being right and fair. I'm not saying i'm perfect like, sure i laughed my ass of watching Fr. Ted as a young lad.

Apparently dressing up as Mr T is frowned upon by fake u.s liberals

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just because millions of people believe something, doesn't mean its not made up pure horseshíte.

Exhibit A - The world is flat

Just because millions of people believe something, doesn't mean its not made up pure horseshíte.

Exhibit A - The world is flat

There it is. Now the thread descends into a george carlin tribute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

if you thought it was OK for a tv program to be made about them making fun of them then it's OK for people to dress up as priests at h'ween.

and it's probably alright to mock something even if it's not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I hate the way they take the piss out of Zombies.

Zombies have feelings to you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Its important to respect opinions too though. I can disagree with something without the need to mock it.

If someone plans on dressing up why should they concerned about what other people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Customary child abuse comment.

• Advertisement

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Customary child abuse comment.

www.instantrimshot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Its important to respect opinions too though. I can disagree with something without the need to mock it.

but you laughed at Fr. Ted.... your going to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

OP, go for it dress up as a priest, it will frighten the ****e out of the kids

Why is it important to respect other peoples opinions? What if it was their opinion that black people should be slaves again?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Actually ...

Zombie Priests FTW

orourkeda wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm here all night.

Thank you. I'm here all night.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I once dressed up as a suicide bomber and quoted lines from Team America. Stick that in your easily offended pipe and smoke it!

*btw it went down a blast with people

sgb wrote: »
    OP, go for it dress up as a priest, it will frighten the ****e out of the kids

Yay. We totally didnt see that one coming

I once dressed up as a suicide bomber and quoted lines from Team America. Stick that in your easily offended pipe and smoke it!

*btw it went down a blast with people

Only dressed up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Why is it important to respect other peoples opinions? What if it was their opinion that black people should be slaves again?[/QUOTe
    Fair point some opinions i would not respect or agree with. I dont view religion as just an opinion though its a belief and when there is no true answer of the outcome of having this belief its wrong to dismiss it. All agree that slavery is a negative action, there have been results from this action before that in my opinion were negative and thus i dismiss it as a negative action. So when somebody dismisses religion its a belief there dismissing and not a fact as they dont have all the answers of where it all started or where it will all finish. So its fair and reasonable for somebody to come to a conslusion of how it will all end up, be it just nothing, reincarnitation or an afterlife. Its not fair to dismiss something that you cant argue to be wrong. So its surley just ignorant to mock it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I hate the way they take the piss out of Zombies.

Get your facts right b4 talking crap!!!!

Due to acute neuropathological degenaration in the pre-frontal lobe within 48hrs of primary reanimation, ALL emotional response in the Zombie is rendered nugatory.

A spade in the nuts, that'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

You lost me at "our culture of being right and fair."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

They're not dressing as priests, they're dressing as paedophiles.

That and maybe they were dressing up like Ted or Dougal?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

priests are scary

/end thread.

on a seperate note, people dress up as butchers. not the kind you see in your local, but the ones that murder people. same diference. some priests are evil, therefore they make good halloween costumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Many state Jedi as their religion. Are you as offended by those who dress up as Darth Vader?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

orourkeda wrote: »
    Only dressed up?

Oh ok, just for you I'll ask N.Korea for some of the real stuff next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Best thread title ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Fair point some opinions i would not respect or agree with. I dont view religion as just an opinion though its a belief and when there is no true answer of the outcome of having this belief its wrong to dismiss it. All agree that slavery is a negative action, there have been results from this action before that in my opinion were negative and thus i dismiss it as a negative action. So when somebody dismisses religion its a belief there dismissing and not a fact as they dont have all the answers of where it all started or where it will all finish. So its fair and reasonable for somebody to come to a conslusion of how it will all end up, be it just nothing, reincarnitation or an afterlife. Its not fair to dismiss something that you cant argue to be wrong. So its surley just ignorant to mock it .

So does this apply just to religion? If an adult believes in the tooth fairy must we treat their belief with respect and not dismiss it?

• Advertisement

So does this apply just to religion? If an adult believes in the tooth fairy must we treat their belief with respect and not dismiss it?

When are we going to change the record?

Seriously

Advertisement