Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gays want to take over the rest of Society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

woodoo wrote: »
    I also said i'd prefer them fostered or adopted by straight couples. Better than orphanages is what i meant though. Not necessarily the care system which fostering is a part.

Once again though, i accuse you of just wearing rose tinted glasses. It doesn't matter what you prefer, when what you prefer will never happen. If there were enough straight couples to adopt all the children who need it then there would be no available children for adoption.

The simple fact of it is, simply because you wish for something better that will never happen, you would allow children to suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Can I ask though.

Why does it disturb you?
    Are you afraid the child will turn out gay? Or bullied?

Because I wasn't bullied because my parent's were gay, I did get bullied because I had an English accent though. Nothing like a bit of token racism growing up, is that alright with you?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DogsyBlanch

It would be interesting to see a poll for gay adoption.

Not really. It would be immoral for the majority to vote on the rights of a minority group. I believe even the Irish constitution recognises that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

4leto wrote: »
    efb wrote: »
    The real issue they have is the normalisation of homosexuality- which is happening, Thank Jobs, but they want society to continue to see it as evil, wicked and perverse.

WTF what are you on about "the normalisation of homosexuality-" it is normal for those who are gay. How about the normalisation of black people.

Exactly- we gays are being accepted as normal - gay kissing on tv isn't a taboo.

They want it to be seen as wicked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    I'd just like to say I'm a bisexual and eh..I exist? In Ireland? Just in case your man who wrote the article is reading through this. We are actually out there. Do your research you stupid nit wit

Burn her!!!!!!!

grabs some prejudice and a flaming torch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I also said i'd prefer them fostered or adopted by straight couples. Better than orphanages is what i meant though. Not necessarily the care system which fostering is a part.
    You do know that gay couples can foster children.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    You do know that gay couples can foster children.

No i knew nothing of it. Like i said earlier i've never given it much thought before last night.

Anyway i spent far too long on this thread last night. I'll leave it you well informed folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No because that is the place they have found themselves. These things happen. It would be unfair to remove the child from parents, single fathers they already know and love.

I'm talking about adoption.

Well sir thats exactly what you'd be doing by voting no to gay adoption. Right at this minute there are children being raised by gay couples who know no other parents. If the biological parent dies, instead of being raised by the remaining partner who the child has known all his/her life, the child would go into care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Exactly- we gays are being accepted as normal - gay kissing on tv isn't a taboo.

They want it to be seen as wicked

Apologies I misinterpreted your post as one of those "life choices" twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

paddyandy wrote: »
    Women are in every way better designed for children.What man could cope with 2 or 3 kids going through a supermarket and each one of the looking for something or other.I'D NEED a bucket of Valium and a case of Whiskey and still would'nt cope with it.Imagine a man coping with a sick child..can't be done women are better equipped in every way.Women make good Mothers and i came from a large family (eldest) i know well what mothers have to put up with.

I'm a father and I can cope perfectly well with two sick children. One is one and the other six, you need more practice. Try it, you might find it incredibly rewarding.

This is a very interesting thread, I have had my views challenged. I'm a straight, happily married father of two daughters. I'm ok with gay marriage coz I have no love of religion so it doesn't offend in any way, if that's what ya want, go for it. I'm ok with gay adoption having spent last night and this morning thinking about it, there are kids who need love.

I would prefer the nuclear family as a model however, I think a maternal and paternal influence should provide a more balanced view of the world for the child. This obviously is a generalisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Simtech wrote: »
    I'm a father and I can cope perfectly well with two sick children. One is one and the other six, you need more practice. Try it, you might find it incredibly rewarding.

This is a very interesting thread, I have had my views challenged. I'm a straight, happily married father of two daughters. I'm ok with gay marriage coz I have no love of religion so it doesn't offend in any way, if that's what ya want, go for it. I'm ok with gay adoption having spent last night and this morning thinking about it, there are kids who need love.

I would prefer the nuclear family as a model however, I think a maternal and paternal influence should provide a more balanced view of the world for the child. This obviously is a generalisation.

A logical and well thought out answer everyone can agree on.
    I've no issue with people who don't support all Gay rights, but I can't stand people who think it because "WELL DEY GOT THE GHEY ITS SICK" attitude.

Why can't everyone be like you :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It would be interesting to see a poll for gay adoption.

And what would that prove for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

The title of this thread should be 'Gays Want To Take Over After Hours'

get thee to yeer own forum

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No, according to me the decision wouldn't be made on sexuality.

you wouldn't make any decision... child suffers as it has neither gay nor straight parents. So..

then you failed to understand it. I'm not surprised.

your personal barbs are tiresome.
    What i am surprised is the fact you haven't been pulled up on it yet:rolleyes:

geetar wrote: »
    let me stop you here.

what people are saying is that gay couples should have equal rights to PREVENT the child from having less rights.
    thats your intepretation of it.

How does preferring hetero parents to homo parents prevent the child having rights:confused:
    there is no evidence to support that a child is better off having both mother and father, rather then two of the same.

your argument is based on assumptions that youre making yourself without any fact

its not an argument, it my opinion, if you don't believe a better balance is acheived by having a mother and father figures then no "facts" will alter your opinion.

i get what you are saying, and ill ask this.

if ireland was a more or less 100% gay tolerant country, with no stigma attatched to being gay, would you say the child would be better off?

no
    it is therefore not the homosexuality thats the problem, but the people who discriminate against it.

no again.
    so who should suffer? loving couples and parentless children, or the people who discriminate?

nobody should suffer- Child comes first. If someone were to suffer, better it be the parents than the child.

define better balance:confused:

if they are no worse, and all other things are equal, how is it better balanced?

any loving couple should be allowed adopt end of.

i dunno where your confusion stems from, i'm not saying gays should not be allowed adopt. I'm saying the M/F is preferable.

why should societal discrimination harm innocent peoples wants and desires and impact on childrens lives? that shouldnt be allowed, and the only way to start getting rid of it is to remove this fabricated stigma that gay people are inferior parents.

Fabricated stigma..jeez louise.
    once society accepts it, then all of your problems that you have with it will dissapear

you werer confused a second ago now you pretend to know what my probleems are, and bwetter yet how to make them disappear....

2 men would apparently make excellent fathers if they had children with 2 women, but if you join the two together as a gay couple, they become incapable of caring and loving a child.

absolute nonsense.

you are correct. Absolute nonsense- now direct me to where myself or anyone else on this thread said a gay couple were incapable of caring and loving a child....

I will await your response, because frankly your last comment is hystrerical in the true sense of the word.

eightyfish wrote: »
    But this is the point.

"Have you stopped beating your wife?"
    "I never beat my wife!"
    "But you haven't answered the question."

It's not meant to be funny, it's always been the textbook example of a loaded question. To answer it implies something.

nothin to do with this thread in all honesty. i tookthe literal meaning.

I'm not actually implying anything against you. I don't know you from Adam. It was a comment on your question. In my 2,000-odd posts in boards I have never insulted the poster rather than the post. I'm not about to start now.
    A child would have the same happy environment growing up as long as his parents were loving.

so are you saying nurture is the key? Assume much?

It's is not relevant whether they are gay, straight, black or white. An answer to your question has the loaded opinion that one couple would be superior to the other based on these things.

read my question again.
    This is why both questions are theoretical and both questions add nothing to an argument because there would never be a case where the only difference between two couples would be sexual orientation.

but again you assume, your question adds onthing to the argument... mine on the other hand is a valid question not loaded, to elicit peoples views in a broad simple manner.

you state there would never be a case where the only difference would be sexual orientation.... can you prove that?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

thebullkf wrote: »

I will await your response, because frankly your last comment is hystrerical in the true sense of the word.

hysterical? hardly..

im saying youre the one saying theyre are incapable of loving a child.

you clearly seem to think that they are inferior at parenting otherwise you would have no problem with it.

why are you arguing with everyone if you think otherwise?

im not claiming that a childs life would be just as easy with gay parents, of course it wouldnt. but thats not to the fault of the parents, its because of people wrongly discriminating them and their child.

are you suggesting that instead of tackling the issue of discrimination we should just not allow the children to be discrimintaed in the first place by restricting the rights of gay couples to adopt?

thats absurdly selfish. we should tackle the cause of the discrimination, instead of stopping it by not allowing civil liberty for all the citizens, regardless if they are a minority.

3 topics on page 1 of the boards about homosexuality, maybe we are taking over the world.

3 topics on page 1 of the boards about homosexuality, maybe we are taking over the world.

shhhhh! (its a secret)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

Jesus wept! How the hell did that even get published?

"the growing appetite for more and more rights and privileges."

"the gays -- want to increasingly change mainstream culture to suit them."

Ya, they want the same human rights others get to enjoy, how very dare they!

I really struggle to understand the mentality of people like the writer. I mean who the hell does he or people who think like him think they are? Where do you get the right to deny others the rights you have? The whole article stank of a 'be grateful for the few crumbs you've been given' attitude. Disgusting!

Oh and civil partnership is not enough as it provides no protection re children. Mind the same could be said for unmarried fathers. Article 41 of the Constitution needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Two months away from 2012 and this bullsh*t still hasn't been sorted.

Every single human being is entitled to the same rights and protections, across the board no ifs, buts, or maybes. I don't care who you are or what you've done (re criminals) the law works best when it works equally for everyone.

I watched the Ides of March recently and Clooney said a great line "society has to be better than the individual."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

histories wrote: »
    I really struggle to understand the mentality of people like the writer. I mean who the hell does he or people who think like him think they are? Where do you get the right to deny others the rights you have? The whole article stank of a 'be grateful for the few crumbs you've been given' attitude. Disgusting!

Well, this particular writer used to be a Diplomat, so i guess that kind of covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I would still vote no most likely, because whatever about gay women raising a child (its far from ideal but may possibly work out) i wouldn't support gay men adopting a child. A mother figure is far too important. And gay men don't seem to stay together all that long from my observations.
    It's just that single men are allowed to adopt children; seeing as how there is in such cases no maternal figure, do you oppose that? Just asking.
    Also, single men are allowed to adopt regardless of their sexuality. So why would adding another person to help out be a bad thing?

Simtech wrote: »

WE GOT 'IM GUYS!!1 <evil laugh>

Seriously though, fair play to you for giving it some thought and I'm glad the result of that was an enlightened realignment of your views.

To anyone who said that posting on boards can't make a difference, well there you go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Or maybe it's something that can't be dismissed so lightly anymore. Anyways, well done all. :)

old hippy wrote: »
    Or maybe it's something that can't be dismissed so lightly anymore. Anyways, well done all. :)

But three topics I know AHs caters for all, which for me is it's attraction, but there are other gay forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

And gay men don't seem to stay together all that long from my observations.

Jesus wept!!

You honestly believe this? What observations have you made exactly?

Also, I call bullsh*t on this as a reason for you not supporting it as earlier in the thread you had objections to Elton John and his partner adopting a child, even though they've been together almost 20 years.

From your comments here and other comments in the thread is is QUITE clear your prejudice is based mainly in ignorance. You need to open your eyes and maybe do some research. It would be good for you.
    Ask questions then cast aspersions on someones ability to either understand or answer. Thats been your ploy.

If you'd been paying attention, you'd know that it wasn't my question at all. It was "thebullkf"s question. I just changed one minority to another.

I'd like an apology but I suspect I won't get
    Next post from you I want to see at least a full paragraph on why you think same sex couples are equally as good as mixed sex couples.

I couldn't care less what you want.

However, as i've said numerous times, if you ask me a clear and concise question I will be happy to answer it. I will not, however, spend my evening writing essays at your whim.
    thebullkf wrote: »
    you wouldn't make any decision... child suffers as it has neither gay nor straight parents. So..

Nope. as i've said already, the decision would not be made on sexual orientation. Try to keep up yeah?

your personal barbs are tiresome.
    What i am surprised is the fact you haven't been pulled up on it yet:rolleyes:

Saying i'm not surprised that you've been misunderstanding things is not a personal barb, especially when viewing your posting history in this thread.

You've been making comments and then denying you've made them. You've been asking questions but then when the same question is asked of you, you pretend or completely fail not to understand it.

I'm not allowed back-seat mod so I won't say anything particular, but i'm not sure how YOU have not been pulled up on IT so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Thought the guy at 3.21 was DeVore for a second there...

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jesus wept!!

From your comments here and other comments in the thread is is QUITE clear your prejudice is based mainly in ignorance. You need to open your eyes and maybe do some research. It would be good for you.

If you'd been paying attention,

I'd like an apology but I suspect I won't get

I couldn't care less what you want.

I will not, however, spend my evening writing essays at your whim.

Try to keep up yeah?

you pretend or completely fail not to understand it.

I'm not allowed back-seat mod so I won't say anything particular, but i'm not sure how YOU have not been pulled up on IT so far!

More questions? Eh. I've still not seen any post of substance from you. None of this much vaunted critical thinking you were blowing about. Fraud i say. I think you haven't a reasonable argument at all. All i've seen from you is questions and barbed acerbic bitchy comments (playing up to a stereotype are we??).

I suspect your a single gay man who doesn't get much. It comes across is your caustic posts. I'm not going to waste another evening responding to someone like you. I'm back to work tomorrow and thats depressing enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Advertisement