Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo 2008 Diesel - Choice

Options
  • 27-10-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hello Experts!!

I am looking at going over to UK to buy an 08 Mondeo Diesel.

There appears to be a few different types....

Can anyone recommend which models are the best / most reliable efficient on fuel etc...

Thanks in advance

Potsy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

I would seek out a 2.OTDCi Titanium or Ghia and avoid the 1.8 altogether. Loads of choice over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

How much of a difference is there between Ghia & Titianium / 1.8 &2.0l??

Its for my wife as a family car.

Are there any issues with either models or items that need to be replaced at the 80-90k mileage mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

2.0l Diesel is 140bhp

Titainium has
    • Part leather heated seats
    • quick clear windscreen
    • Ford connect+ system (Bluetooth Phone)
    • Voice control (Climate control - Phone - Radio)
    • Adaptive headlights incl kerb lights (lights turn around corners and light up kerb)
    • 6 disc cd changer
    • Electric folding wing mirrors

potsy11 wrote: »
    How much of a difference is there between Ghia & Titianium / 1.8 &2.0l??

Are there any issues with either models or items that need to be replaced at the 80-90k mileage mark?

The Titanium has a more sporty set-up, silver trim and a bit more techie inside. Ghia has faux wood trim and geared toward luxury/comfort. Both are very well equipped.

The is a cleaner engine that the 1.8, so lower C02 and VRT. Also a more modern unit, smoother and more linear power delivery. It also shared with a lot of other cars (Pug, Citroen, Volvo) and is well proven.

The is a cleaner engine that the 1.8, so lower C02 and VRT. Also a more modern unit, smoother and more linear power delivery. It also shared with a lot of other cars (Pug, Citroen, Volvo) and is well proven.

Thanks for you advice but can you clarify what you were saying above.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Thanks for you advice but can you clarify what you were saying above.

Cheers

go to ros.ie vrt calculator and input details for the 2.0 then the 1.8 using same mileage ect. and you'll see the difference in vrt , the lower the co2 emissions of the car the lower the percentage of omsp you pay , do your homework before you go to the uk , will you save anything even by the time boat and tickets exchange rate everything are added in.

bbsrs wrote: »
    go to ros.ie vrt calculator and input details for the 2.0 then the 1.8 using same mileage ect. and you'll see the difference in vrt , the lower the co2 emissions of the car the lower the percentage of omsp you pay , do your homework before you go to the uk , will you save anything even by the time boat and tickets exchange rate everything are added in.

Exchange rate got better today with rally in markets.

I've done a good few comparisons and here is a fairly accurate breakdown:

UK
    €6000 - for 1.8 TDCI Ghia c. 80,000 miles
    €2500 for VRT
    Flight & Boat allowing €500

Total €9,000

Ireland
    Cheapest on CBG with similiar spec is €14,000 ranging up to €18,000

I think its great value....

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Exchange rate got better today with rally in markets.

I've done a good few comparisons and here is a fairly accurate breakdown:

UK
    €6000 - for 1.8 TDCI Ghia c. 80,000 miles
    €2500 for VRT
    Flight & Boat allowing €500

Total €9,000

Ireland
    Cheapest on CBG with similiar spec is €14,000 ranging up to €18,000

I think its great value....

€14000 for a 08 Mondeo I would think near impossible to achieve not to mind 18k when there's alot of them around sub 10k , What people ask for a car and get are two different things. But you will get a better spec in the UK for your money so even if it worked out the same price here I would probably go with getting one from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just to clarify the Mondeo diesel engine line up:

1.8 TDCi - old Ford engine with a very narrow power band, not very refined. 2008 - €302 to tax.

2.0 TDCi - Peugeot/Citroen engine, smooth, quiet and decent power. 2008 - €447 to tax.

In the UK there were a number of different trim levels to over here:

Edge - base model,
    Zetec - higher spec than Zetec,
    Econetic - based on Zetec but with lower emissions,
    Ghia - slightly higher spec than Zetec,
    Titanium - Replaced the Ghia,
    Titanium X - Higher spec than Titanium,
    Titanium Sport - Same as Titanium X but adds larger alloywheels, lowered sports suspension, rear diffuser, interior red sport trim.

The 2.0 TDCi Titanium X is the pick of the bunch imo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 2.0 TDCi Titanium X is the pick of the bunch imo.

Bang on Baz, great motor. Have the ST version of the mondeo myself, grand car, plenty of poke but the Titanium X are just as nice a car OP.

Keep an eye out there for them in the UK.

I see a Titanium for sale there in Mayo for I THINK it was around 14950.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I don't see the value in going to the UK for a run of the mill car like a Mondeo any more. It is not like years ago when prices here were high compared to the UK and VRT was low. As already stated there are plenty of 08 Mondeos advertised for around 10k which means if you go in with 9k cash you will buy one and save yourself the hassle of a trip to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

I don't see the value in going to the UK for a run of the mill car like a Mondeo any more. It is not like years ago when prices here were high compared to the UK and VRT was low. As already stated there are plenty of 08 Mondeos advertised for around 10k which means if you go in with 9k cash you will buy one and save yourself the hassle of a trip to the UK.

You don't necessarily have to go to England, you could try up North. . .

You still have to go through the hassle of VRT, NCT etc even if you buy up north. No point unless you are saving a decent amount of money. I just don't see where the savings are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

That could well be true however many of the cars in the UK are kept better and better specced. Worth the trip imo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Plenty advertised but the spec is still miles ahead of the Irish spec. Even the mondeos been imported by the garages have poor specs.
    Well worth going to NI or UK, been doing it for 10 years and have never seen a car here to match the spec.

They are out there alright. You just have to look for them. Especially something like a Mondeo. There should be plenty of ex fleet stuff with good spec around. Mileage might be a bit high but then most of the cars people bring back from the UK are high milers as low mileage cars fetch good money over there just the same way they do at home. I used to buy my cars in the UK, made several trips over but haven't bothered for the last few years as I actually think there is better value here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Hi Guys,
    I bought a 2008 2.0litre titanium X in black a few months back..

Just to note, from my experience the titanium does not come with part leather.But the titanium X does.

Be very careful with the VRT though.
    The price I got off the vrt website turned out to be over 1000 less to what I had to actually pay.

If you are unsure, I'd ring the NCT centre to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

murphyep wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just to note, from my experience the titanium does not come with part leather.But the titanium X does.

The price I got off the vrt website turned out to be over 1000 less to what I had to actually pay.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of price did you get the car for in the UK? Just a ballpark figure...

Hi Guys,

How much did you pay? if you dont mind sharing...

I retract my initial value of Mondeos in Ire. had clicked the wrong filter on the website. I agree though that the spec appears to be far higher in the UK than Ireland.
    It is marginal as to whether the effort etc is worth the journey......I'd still be on the side that yes it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

I paid 4118 euro vrt on this car..2008 mondeo titanium x, 2.0 tdci 6 speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just to add that the Co2 emmissions on the 2.0 TDCi Titanium X were lower on 2009 models than 2008 which may make the figures on the VRT website incorrect as it moved the car from Tax/VRT band D down to Tax/VRT band C afaik. Make sure and check the Co2 figure on the car's V5 document, this what Revenue will use when you present the car for VRT.

Also since the current Mondeo was launched Irish/UK specs have been pretty much the same. Yes, the Titanium models are more plentiful in the UK and they might put a few extras in but generally an Irish Mondeo Titanium X is pretty much the same as a UK Mondeo Titanium X, except you probably will not buy a saloon one in the UK as they don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

yop wrote: »
    Plenty advertised but the spec is still miles ahead of the Irish spec. Even the mondeos been imported by the garages have poor specs.
    Well worth going to NI or UK, been doing it for 10 years and have never seen a car here to match the spec.

Would you recommend any particular dealer or do you mostly buy private?
    Thanks

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Would you recommend any particular dealer or do you mostly buy private?
    Thanks

Have bought 3 cars off the one dealer in NI, 2 more from another 2 separate dealers in NI.
    Have bought 1 car private and 1 car dealer in UK.

Not all my own :) Have bought 5 cars for myself though from the above.

Out of the above, one, an NI dealer wasn't mighty. One of the UK dealers wasn't overly friendly but the car is sound.

2 dealers stand out.

Cars in the North tend to be more expensive than the mainland, and with the amount of dodgy diesel around the place the UK would be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

yop wrote: »

2 dealers stand out.

If you mean stand out in a good way, would you pm me their details? Thanks

Cars in the North tend to be more expensive than the mainland, and with the amount of dodgy diesel around the place the UK would be my first port of call.

They are definitely dearer, found them probably 5-10% higher but when you take into account the flight over and boat back and losing a day then it makes up the difference or close to it.
    Have only bought UK reg'd cars off them, so hopefully avoided that issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hi there I got a car for sale and I want to know witch site is best for sale...or if you are interested:
    2005 BMW X5 Blue for sale
    3.0 D with automatic transmission
    68.000 miles
    fully loaded.
    Price:6000 EUROS
    for more pics and details: martin9974123@dublin.ie

Offer Magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RT1

I paid 4118 euro vrt on this car..2008 mondeo titanium x, 2.0 tdci 6 speed

Hello, I'm new to the site but I was really interested to see how much vrt you paid on the 08 Mondeo titanium x. I'm looking at a 07 one at the moment in NI but I'm concerned that I can't get an accurate vrt estimate because the exact details aren't on the vrt calculator. Rang NCT/vrt and revenue and tbh they were no real help. Has to be assessed by revenue in Rosslare, no way to contact them and no way to get estimate ahead of purchase. Absolutely riddiculus imo. If it's more than 3k then it's not worth it. Anyone have any ideas how to de-risk the process or should I just keep Looking for an Irish model? There are a few 08 models advertised but even the cheapest one is outside my ideal price range. Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Flynner64

I bought a 2008 Mondeo 1.8 Diesel estate this week. It's the titanium x in black, with upgraded 18" alloys. It has 97k miles, clutch flywheel and timing belt all just done, and got it from main dealer with warranty for €11,450. There are good deals but you will have to be patient. I've been looking for the past month for the right car, and it's true that 08 titanium x models are usually 13 - 14k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 RT1

Flynner64 wrote: »
    I bought a 2008 Mondeo 1.8 Diesel estate this week. It's the titanium x in black, with upgraded 18" alloys. It has 97k miles, clutch flywheel and timing belt all just done, and got it from main dealer with warranty for €11,450. There are good deals but you will have to be patient. I've been looking for the past month for the right car, and it's true that 08 titanium x models are usually 13 - 14k

Thanks Flynner64, it's good to know there are some good bargains there on Irish plates! My budget is around 9.5k so 08 models are probably out of my range, for now anyway. Think I'll just have to keep an eye out for an 07 model, there must be some out there on Irish plates?

Advertisement