Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo 2008 Diesel - Choice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RT1 wrote: »
    Thanks Flynner64, it's good to know there are some good bargains there on Irish plates! My budget is around 9.5k so 08 models are probably out of my range, for now anyway. Think I'll just have to keep an eye out for an 07 model, there must be some out there on Irish plates?

This one makes Flynner64's Mondeo look a tad expensive, but might suit your budget. Don't be put off by the mileage!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2703719

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RT1

166man wrote: »
    Thanks Flynner64, it's good to know there are some good bargains there on Irish plates! My budget is around 9.5k so 08 models are probably out of my range, for now anyway. Think I'll just have to keep an eye out for an 07 model, there must be some out there on Irish plates?

This one makes Flynner64's Mondeo look a tad expensive, but might suit your budget. Don't be put off by the mileage!

Sorry 166man, I'm definitely showing my lack of experience with this site but I can't see any link to what you thought might be within my budget? Any chance you could post a link? Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Sorry 166man, I'm definitely showing my lack of experience with this site but I can't see any link to what you thought might be within my budget? Any chance you could post a link? Many thanks!

Post edited above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd go with the 2 litre over the 1.8 if you have a choice.

166man wrote: »

Post edited above.

Thanks 166man, just looked at the add. Definitely looks like a good deal, the only problem is now that I've test driven the titanium x spec I can't look at anything else! A 5 mile test drive that will probably either destroy my bank balance on an impulse buy or blind me to a great deal on an equivalent Zetec, which by the way, I thought were fantastic looking cars before I discovered there was a titanium model!

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    I'd go with the 2 litre over the 1.8 if you have a choice.

Absolutely agree, there's great punch in the 2 ltr for a big car and I wonder if the 1.8 might bog down a little when fully loaded down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If you don't do huge mileage there's a lot of 2 litre petrols In titanium x spec about too. You could use the fascination with the new tax rates to your advantage buying one.

EPM wrote: »
    If you don't do huge mileage there's a lot of 2 litre petrols In titanium x spec about too. You could use the fascination with the new tax rates to your advantage buying one.

Thought about that, but I do enough annual milage to make it too expensive to run a petrol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Flynner64

Thanks 166man, just looked at the add. Definitely looks like a good deal, the only problem is now that I've test driven the titanium x spec I can't look at anything else! A 5 mile test drive that will probably either destroy my bank balance on an impulse buy or blind me to a great deal on an equivalent Zetec, which by the way, I thought were fantastic looking cars before I discovered there was a titanium model!

I agree, if you've already tested the Titanium X it's just a lovely place to be, pure luxury, without being a knob the 07 LX just does not compare. With regard to the 1.8 being a bit gutless, I'll know after the weekend when I have the car packed up with PA and drums heading gigging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

I am personally looking at a 2008 1.8 TDCI on the LX or Edge (UK) - some good €10k deals to be had. A 1.6 petrol at the weekend was showing only 29mpg on the display so have moved on from that.
    Wont have a big load normally nor do I intend towing anything so really only need to carry the weight of the car itself.
    The 1.8 has the 100bhp and 125bhp versions. Again, if not concerned about loading except for the car and not going to be doing a massive amount of driving (30 mile round trip to work and circa 12k mile per annum) would the 100bhp be ok?
    Is the 125bhp more desirable and why exactly?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I am personally looking at a 2008 1.8 TDCI on the LX or Edge (UK) - some good €10k deals to be had. A 1.6 petrol at the weekend was showing only 29mpg on the display so have moved on from that.
    Wont have a big load normally nor do I intend towing anything so really only need to carry the weight of the car itself.
    The 1.8 has the 100bhp and 125bhp versions. Again, if not concerned about loading except for the car and not going to be doing a massive amount of driving (30 mile round trip to work and circa 12k mile per annum) would the 100bhp be ok?
    Is the 125bhp more desirable and why exactly?

Thanks
    There are two separate issues here.

One is the engine. The 125 will have more poke, and might have 6 gears. I think some of them in the UK had.

The second is the trim. Edge will be basic.

Still, most of the Mondeos sold in Ireland were the 100 bhp lx and people are flying around very contentedly in them. I am sure the performance is adequate and the interior would be fine too. No more than most passats would be 105 bhp trendline models.

Nothing wrong with them and they'll last as long as the other variations, just that for a few more quid, you get a much nippier and more comfortable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with them and they'll last as long as the other variations, just that for a few more quid, you get a much nippier and more comfortable car.

The 1.8 diesel has a very narrow powerband. You get nothing, nothing, power, out of puff. This makes it more work to drive, with a lot of gear-swapping needed compared to the 2.0 diesel, which is more relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maxpower2011

I would seek out a 2.OTDCi Titanium or Ghia and avoid the 1.8 altogether. Loads of choice over there.

I'm looking at a 09 1.8 diesel. I plan on using it for work, it will do a fair bit of driving. I'm interested in it as the one I'm looking at seem reasonably priced also it "respectable" for the purpose I need it. Fuel efficiency is important though, I ave no problem with it lacking power as it's function will be work A to B, priorty is a medium sized car that is fuel efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

did anyone ever find out what the VRT was after or did OP go through with purchase, in the process of buying one currently and wondering if anyone has a ball park price?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

did anyone ever find out what the VRT was after or did OP go through with purchase, in the process of buying one currently and wondering if anyone has a ball park price?

Revenue's VRT calculator is here:
    https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

I drive the 1.8 Diesel Zetec 125bhp 6 gears..
    plenty of go to be honest..
    love it bought it new......
    Not sure why you would want a 2.0 Diesel to be honest...but then again i never drove the 2.0L version

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fatalll wrote: »
    I drive the 1.8 Diesel Zetec 125bhp 6 gears..
    plenty of go to be honest..
    love it bought it new......
    Not sure why you would want a 2.0 Diesel to be honest...but then again i never drove the 2.0L version

The 2.0 litre has 140bhp, is more refined, more powerful and the power delivery is spread across the rev range alot better than the 1.8 litre.

Hey Hollywoodhoppy, if you use the VRT calculator on the Revenue site (link posted earlier in this thread), make sure you select the 1.8 or 2.0 TD option, not the TDCI (which you'd think would be the one to select) and this will give you very accurate estimates of what the VRT would be on a Titanium or Titanium X (2007 to 2009).

If you select the TDCI option, this only seems to have the 2010 onwards details (based on the default BHP and CO2 figures displayed).

I recently (December '11) imported an '08 Titanium from the UK and the VRT was EURO 3,329. For a Titanium X with similar milage, VRT would have been approx EURO 3,800.

Hope this helps1

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hey what sort of MPG would be average for the 1.8 or 2.0 diesel Mondeos?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

I just test drove a 1.8 TDCI and purchased. The 1.8 is quite nippy despite what I keep hearing on boards constanly about it. I have also tried the 2.0TDCi which is also fine. I do take the point that in lower revs it can feel a little less power but overall anone like me moving up fro an early 00 diesel will find the 1.8 tdci great. Ill let you know how the MPG is after a week or so. In conclusion don't be put off the 1.8 despite a lot of bashing from some on boards!!

• Advertisement

I said I would let you know how the 1st week went. So i've covered 1014 Km this week between fills and used 63.07 litres of diesel which acccording to my sums is, 45.4 Mpg. This week I covered alot of back roads and some city driving. so next week it will be mostly motorway in 6th. ill report back then.

To all those people I listend to before on boards advising to stay away from the 1.8 TDCI What the hell are they on about. I delayed buying this car for over a yeear based on this advise. the 1.8TDCI feels Quick/Nippy I have never stalled it or even came close to it as one person reported. I'm sure the 2.0 is probaly better and the 2.2 is better again............ and so on.

Ive come from a 2002 530D and I find the car every bit as big and comfortable but more modern inside. The Titanium is well finished. Ok the 530 had a little more umph but having also driven an S40 diesel for a while this is miles ahead of the Volvo. I would love to hear from other Real 1.8TDCI owners on what their opinions are. To Finalise do not be put off by the 1.8TDCI.

This week averaged 43MPG lots of City Driving plus pulled about one tonne in a double axle trailer for 30 kilometers. so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

trabpc wrote: »
    I would love to hear from other Real 1.8TDCI owners on what their opinions are.

Sorry, I'm a 2.0 owner! (in an S-Max).

Re 1.8 tdci. For anyone who still cares. I drove approximately 80% motorway this week in 6th gear.. Not going over 110kph. Worked out at 51.1mpg. Covered 1123km.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

How do these two engines (1.8 TDCI & 2.0 TDCI) compare reliability wise? Anything to watch out for with them? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

hey,
    Bought the 1.8 TDCi new 125Bhp version, 6 gears) '08
    Still brilliant.. using 5.7-5.8L per 100KM
    Think it far better value than a BMW...
    no problems yet, have the hatchback version..

Advertisement