Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Snow socks deal on groupon €44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

yop wrote: »
    So the offer was for 4 and you only got 2???

I have the PDF here with it stating "Set of Four Atli KB Heavy Duty Tyre Snow Socks".

So what do we do if we only get 2?

Thanks

I would just go the paypal dispute path

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

CiniO wrote: »
    I would just go the paypal dispute path

True,
    I have contacted the snowsocks crowd and groupon and copied the consumer association on the email now with the PDF of the offer so lets see what I get back.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Good...no chance of getting mine today and starting complaint proceedure...because of...SNOW!!! :eek:

(NB the same snow socks were considerably cheaper per *PAIR* on ebay at the time of order - this is seriously BAD all round, not forgetting the ridiculous delay as well as the misrepresentation. Not surte but the fact that they altered the offer on the site AFTER orders had been placed may amount to actual fraud )

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

aare wrote: »
    Good...no chance of getting mine today and starting complaint proceedure...because of...SNOW!!! :eek:

(NB the same snow socks were considerably cheaper per *PAIR* on ebay at the time of order - this is seriously BAD all round, not forgetting the ridiculous delay as well as the misrepresentation. Not surte but the fact that they altered the offer on the site AFTER orders had been placed may amount to actual fraud )

Yip, nothing short of fraud.

Joe Duffy time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yip, nothing short of fraud.

Joe Duffy time :D

I would get onto groupon first. I think they will take these things fairly seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

So the offer was for 4 and you only got 2???

I have the PDF here with it stating "Set of Four Atli KB Heavy Duty Tyre Snow Socks".

So what do we do if we only get 2?

Thanks

any chance you could upload the pdf?

I would get onto groupon first. I think they will take these things fairly seriously

I have done, copied them, the snowsocks crowd and the consumer association on the same email.

I will see what they say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've emailed Groupon with no response with regards the delivery, but not the quantity as I haven't received mine yet.
    Got this mail from Boomclick after opening a paypal dispute (but unfortunately only for the delivery part of the order)

"Hi Stephen,

I can confirm your order will be dispatched the Wednesday 14th December. Apologies for the delay.
    --
    Kind Regards
    Kate
    Boomclick"

What are they shipping to you? 1 set or 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DavidMe

stevenmu wrote: »
    Well if you're already able to do more than 50kph (safely), then you probably don't need the socks. My understanding of them is that they're only to get you out of a situation where you've little to no traction.

that's all they're really for. You could go a distance on them but you shouldn't be doing more than 50kph if the conditions warran the snow socks in the first place.

I live a mile from the main road and my drive way is up a hill, so I'm going to get a pair. I was badly stuck last year.

There's a lot more competition with vendors selling snow socks this year so that's why you can get some good deals in places.

Here's another one http://snowmanireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Just rang citydeal, explained that I ordered 4 socks and apparently its only 2 that are being shipped. Explained that i would rather cancel due to this.

they are processing my refund and will be sorted within 7 days.

All good.

Fair enough hammertime, but the trouble is that there are laws against doing that to people...

No question, when the deal was advertised it was for 4 socks...I know because I checked it over and over. I was strapped for cash at the time, and if it was only for 2 socks I could have waited a month and ordered them elsewhere (only probably got them sooner :( ).

The pdf voucher that came out, ALSO says "4 socks", very clearly...

The problem is that, after a significant number of orders were placed, the text and graphics on the website changed to "a pair"...this is easy to do, you just have to change the entries in the database fields...but somebody (whether with groupon or the company, I do not know) has to do that, KNOWING orders had already been placed based on "4 socks" (that even changed the contents of html mails that had been sent out, though there was nothing anyone could do about the attached pdf vouchers).

That is, very simply, illegal. If you CHOOSE to accept a refund, I commend your generosity and Christmas Spirit, but you do not HAVE to accept a refund...and if you do accept a refund it sets a very bad precedent for similar, illegal "adjustments" in future...

If there are no limits on groupon deals then why do I sometimes see "Deal sold out" on their offers ?

Seems to me these people just weren't great business people and signed up to something without properly understanding it.

As to the business at hand. If you groupon deal pdf says 4 snow socks then AFAIK you are entitled to 4 socks - if it says 2 snow socks then you are entitled to 2. As to who takes the hit on that - Groupon or the sock seller I don't know - depends who made the mistake I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Just got an email;

"
    We have been inundated with emails, apologies for the late reply.

Groupon made a publishing error and we were told that they sent an email blast to those affected. Please see below. Please note that all purchases contain only one pair of snow sock.
    If you have any quires please contact our customer support at info@buysnowsocks.com
    "

I am not letting this drop.

Just to add to that, they claimed that we were sent this email;

Clarification for your Groupon

"A Pair of Atli KA Standard Tyre Snow Socks (£32) or Atli KB Heavy Duty Tyre Snow Socks (£36) from Boomclick (50% Off)"

Owing to a publishing error we included incorrect information when we originally advertised this Groupon. We'd like to apologise for this mistake and any inconvenience it may have caused you.

To clarify, this deal entitles you to 2 snow socks and not 4. Please ignore anything previously advertised.

If you'd like to go ahead and redeem your Groupon simply visit: www.buysnowsocks.com/uk with your Groupon code ready and follow the online instructions. Don't forget you can find a copy of your Groupon at: www.groupon.co.uk/myaccount.

If you're disappointed by this new information please reply to this email providing your name and the email address you registered with us.

As always, please visit www.groupon.co.uk to see what other exciting deals are on offer in your city today.

Kind regards,

The Customer Service Team

I have lodged a complaint with both the company also with NCA ( http://www.nca.ie/nca/contactform).
    They are been smart and if they are breaking the rules then I am afraid its time to get a slap on the wrist. Going by the other posts they have form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

These guys are taking the piss.
    If the ridiculous delivery time wasn't enough, now they're trying to make out that the offer was only for 1 pair of socks.
    PDF of my voucher clearly states that offer is for "Set of Four Atli KA Standard Tyre Snow Socks"

I didn't pay through paypal - so I've contacted the company telling them I want either 4 socks pronto or a refund.

Definitely considering making a formal complaint through the NCA.

These guys are taking the piss.
    If the ridiculous delivery time wasn't enough, now they're trying to make out that the offer was only for 1 pair of socks.
    PDF of my voucher clearly states that offer is for "Set of Four Atli KA Standard Tyre Snow Socks"

I didn't pay through paypal - so I've contacted the company telling them I want either 4 socks pronto or a refund.

Definitely considering making a formal complaint through the NCA.

Forget the refund, once Groupon have sent the confirmation of your order and the voucher has been issued by Groupon then a contract has been made. If Groupon try to change this contract/sale after this then they are in breach.

Its simple as that really, if they had been straight up then fair enough but its not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I also got a mail today saying that it was a publishing error and a copy of the same e-mail (which I had never previously received). I'm telling them I want my second pair. First pair just arrived a few minutes ago by the way.
    Edit: Also, Groupon are saying the deal is with some other company now,
    "To claim a refund for your postage and packaging costs please contact Bodini on +44 (0)20 7 717 5400 or at http://www.bodini.com/en/contact-us."

• Advertisement

Just to add to that, they claimed that we were sent this email;

Clarification for your Groupon

"A Pair of Atli KA Standard Tyre Snow Socks (£32) or Atli KB Heavy Duty Tyre Snow Socks (£36) from Boomclick (50% Off)"

Owing to a publishing error we included incorrect information when we originally advertised this Groupon. We'd like to apologise for this mistake and any inconvenience it may have caused you.

To clarify, this deal entitles you to 2 snow socks and not 4. Please ignore anything previously advertised.

If you'd like to go ahead and redeem your Groupon simply visit: www.buysnowsocks.com/uk with your Groupon code ready and follow the online instructions. Don't forget you can find a copy of your Groupon at: www.groupon.co.uk/myaccount.

If you're disappointed by this new information please reply to this email providing your name and the email address you registered with us.

As always, please visit www.groupon.co.uk to see what other exciting deals are on offer in your city today.

Kind regards,

The Customer Service Team

I have lodged a complaint with both the company also with NCA ( http://www.nca.ie/nca/contactform).
    They are been smart and if they are breaking the rules then I am afraid its time to get a slap on the wrist. Going by the other posts they have form.

I have to say I didn't buy this offer, but I do remember receiving that email cut and paste above.

That being said - I also remember thinking at the time that it was bull****. The law in this country is that you are entitled to the deal as advertised - they are not allowed change it after.
    If I walk into Dunnes stories and something is labelled €10 and they tell me at a till it should have been €20 - they still have to give it to me for 10 - otherwise its considered false adversting (a point which I have successfully argued and won by the way

I certainly was not sent that email explaining either...

The HTML mails and the site variables suddenly changed is all...if you look to beginning of thread I think somebody got a screen capture before they changed.

I am not letting this drop either.

...and I do not even have the FIRST pair yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I certainly was not sent that email explaining either...

The HTML mails and the site variables suddenly changed is all...if you look to beginning of thread I think somebody got a screen capture before they changed.

I am not letting this drop either.

I posted a screenshot from the iPhone app, I've just checked it again and it still says the same.

841342c0.jpg

Since it's giving me the option to use it, I think I'd better see if they refunded me as they agreed.

Don't let it drop.

Fill out that complaint form and send it off and email group on and snowsocks and get your 4 socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Hammertime wrote: »
    Thats just poor business skills
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    I posted a screenshot from the iPhone app, I've just checked it again and it still says the same.

841342c0.jpg

Since it's giving me the option to use it, I think I'd better see if they refunded me as they agreed.

Just checked, money was refunded. As this is an online purchase, you have 7 days to send them back 'from the date of the receipt of the goods' to get a full refund, under EU consumer law, I don't think you even need to justify why you're sending them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If I walk into Dunnes stories and something is labelled €10 and they tell me at a till it should have been €20 - they still have to give it to me for 10 - otherwise its considered false adversting (a point which I have successfully argued and won by the way

Unfortunately, they don't:
    Mistakes can happen!

If a shop incorrectly labels something with the wrong price, and it is lower than the price charged at the till, you do not have an automatic right to buy the goods at the marked price. As long as the seller tells you before your money is taken that the higher price applies, you can decide not to buy it.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/pricingrules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

This is terrible value. Unlikely to snow on any great scale.

Got email back from NCA.

Thank you for contacting the National Consumer Agency (NCA) with your issue regarding the advertising of snow socks on www.groupon.ie .

In general terms a purchase from a trader would come under contract law, a contract is formed following an offer, acceptance of that offer and consideration (payment). Goods that are on display in a (for example, vouchers on a website) are considered an “invitation to treat”, which is an invitation to make an offer to purchase the goods which can be accepted or rejected by the trader. A contract is formed only when you offer to buy the goods, the seller accepts your offer and consideration is paid. In other words, while traders may be in business to sell their product they are not obliged to do.

I understand in this instance, that Groupon have offered a full refund for monies paid or you can order a pair of snow socks from Boomclick, however you feel this is not satisfactory redress. If you are seeking for the contract to be enforced i.e you wish to receive 4 snow socks for the original price paid and cannot resolve the matter with the trader, you may need to seek legal advice.

The Consumer Protection Act 2007 prohibits traders from carrying out unfair commercial practices that would significantly cause the “average consumer” to make a transactional decision which he/she would not otherwise undertake. In other words, as a result of an advertisement or “invitation to purchase” buy goods or services that he/she would not otherwise purchase.

In order for us to make a more comprehensive review of the issue you raise, could you please provide us with a copy of the voucher which was purchased. If possible, can you forward a copy of this to ask@nca.ie quoting reference number 14183.

Upon receipt of this information, we will refer your query to our Commercial Practices Division (CPD) for their review. Where cases are referred to CPD, they will follow-up on the issue you have raised. However, I should explain while it is our policy to follow-up on all complaints it is not always possible to respond to every complainant due to the large volume of consumer contacts received by our office. Of course they will contact you if the need arises either in the course of or on completion of their enquiries.

• Advertisement

Can I send them my pdf voucher on same case number?

Advertisement