Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Snow socks deal on groupon €44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ashmac

was just looking at that!! is that good value? was about to trawl the net to see if i could get cheaper!
    one more question?! do you need them on all 4 tyres? or just back if your car is front wheel drive...?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

Well I think the full price is the typical price you'll pay for them anywhere so seems like good deal to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

ashmac wrote: »
    was just looking at that!! is that good value? was about to trawl the net to see if i could get cheaper!
    one more question?! do you need them on all 4 tyres? or just back if your car is front wheel drive...?

You NEED them on the driving wheels. Wouldn't do any harm to have them on all four wheels I'd imagine.

I looked at the site and it doesn't ask for your wheel size so would it be a one size fits all? How good would that be? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You NEED them on the driving wheels. Wouldn't do any harm to have them on all four wheels I'd imagine.

I looked at the site and it doesn't ask for your wheel size so would it be a one size fits all? How good would that be? :confused:

you enter tyre size to redeem voucher on the retailers website.

edit: they're normally sold in pairs for ~€80 but these are essentially 2 pairs for nearly half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Thanks for that. So its a good deal then. Thanks op for sharing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Just to point out .. I think there is a 50km/h limit with these on .. so fine for urban driving but possibly awkward for long journeys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Was just sent this link too, sorry to be clueless but are snow socks a big help in snow/icy conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

alias no.9 wrote: »
    they're normally sold in pairs for ~€80 but these are essentially 2 pairs for nearly half that.

Eh? Where are you seeing this?
    It's 1 pair for ~€40 so 2 pairs for the normal price of 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

When you are ordering, it says four.
    Set of Four Atli KB Heavy Duty Tyre Snow Socks
    51.0% Discount - Save €45.00

Buy
    Price
    €44.00
    Next screen also says four, but I can't copy the text from there.

However confirmation mail says only a pair.
    After the Groupon deal "Pair of Atli KA Standard Tyre Snow Socks ( EUR 39) or Atli KB Heavy Duty Tyre Snow Socks ( EUR 44) from Boomclick (51% Off)" has been successfully closed we'll send you the voucher and all relevant information in a separate email.

My order lists four though so they'll be in trouble if thats not what I get.
    Date of purchase: Oct 27, 2011
    Valid from Oct 31, 2011 to Jan 29, 2012
    Set of Four Atli KB Heavy Duty Tyre Snow Socks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Just to point out .. I think there is a 50km/h limit with these on .. so fine for urban driving but possibly awkward for long journeys..
    They should only be used when you're on snow/ice and wouldn't be able to do 50kph anyway. If you get back on to clear road where you could do more than 50kph then you take them off again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

stevenmu wrote: »
    They should only be used when you're on snow/ice and wouldn't be able to do 50kph anyway.

Who says you can't do more than 50km/h on snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

CiniO wrote: »
    I wouldn't drive on them any more than 50 km/h. My wife did on her set and they were shredded, mine are good to go again this year

milltown wrote: »
    they're normally sold in pairs for ~€80 but these are essentially 2 pairs for nearly half that.

Eh? Where are you seeing this?
    It's 1 pair for ~€40 so 2 pairs for the normal price of 1.

Definitely said set of 4 when I ordered though just checked email and says 2. Not happy. If they hold out on this I may just cancel the order as it's not nearly as good value when you add in shipping and the gamble on 28 days for delivery, our snow could have come and gone by them.

oldyouth wrote: »
    I wouldn't drive on them any more than 50 km/h. My wife did on her set and they were shredded, mine are good to go again this year

Of course not on snow socks which are said by manufacturer to be limited to 50km/h.
    I actually would be vary cautious to drive anything close to 50km/h on them.

What I meant that there's nothing stopping anyone to drive over 50km/h on snow without those socks, as stevenmu said you wouldn't be able to do 50km/h on snow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Did a quick "consumer check" on web...these are a brilliant deal and I have ordered, also definately "four socks" all the way on the order.

I suspect the only reason they are so well priced is that some of the snow predictions for this year have been dialled back.

When it snows I only have to get out for emergencies and shopping. I am on high ground with a couple of miles that do not even get gritted so, at this price, I am delighted...if nothing else they will save "bumping into" the neighbours. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well if you're already able to do more than 50kph (safely), then you probably don't need the socks. My understanding of them is that they're only to get you out of a situation where you've little to no traction.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Well if you're already able to do more than 50kph (safely), then you probably don't need the socks. My understanding of them is that they're only to get you out of a situation where you've little to no traction.

That's a really exactly my point as well.
    For normal driving on snow, winter tyres will do perfectly.
    Snow socks might be useful for driving up or down a steep hill, especially on ice. But to be honest, in such conditions probably snow chains would do better job.

Definitely said set of 4, here's a screen capture of my order

2da86135.jpg

Did any one found any info what tyre size they fit?
    I couldn't find anything

Did any one found any info what tyre size they fit?
    I couldn't find anything

The voucher is redeemable at www.buysnowsocks.com where you select your size. Seems to cover most sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

I bought this also. It said set of four when buying but is now saying a pair. Is this still good value.?
    Moreso are the not obliged under law to give you what they said, which is 4??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

I purchased these on the Groupon site but despite putting in the relevant codes I can't get past the check out page to make the purchase. The postal address for the co is a mail drop and neither they nor groupon will reply to me. Have others experienced similar problems or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aoshaugh

I purchased these on the Groupon site but despite putting in the relevant codes I can't get past the check out page to make the purchase. The postal address for the co is a mail drop and neither they nor groupon will reply to me. Have others experienced similar problems or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Yes I am having the same problem.
    I tried emailing both the snow sock company and groupon but no reply.
    Highly unsatisfactory so far.
    I have heard a lot about Groupon, and I thought they would be reliable.

I got no reply to my email about whether they would provide the set of 4 I chose to purchase, so I rang them on 1800 93 69 27 and cancelled the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Definitely said set of 4 when I ordered though just checked email and says 2. Not happy. If they hold out on this I may just cancel the order as it's not nearly as good value when you add in shipping and the gamble on 28 days for delivery, our snow could have come and gone by them.

Bummer mate.

I am not overly technical but I do that html emails can be altered after they have landed in your inbox.

I had an issue with crocs where I got the wrong size and of course I checked my inbox and size as correct - I failed to get a screen grab as once I complained the sizes matched what I received.

I take screen grabs now to cover myself.

Back on topic - the snow socks are meant to be kept in the car and you jump out and put them on when you cannot progress without them. Once back on a surface where you do not need them you take them back off again.

A nice idea but if used incorrectly they will not last long and in sub zero temps can be a bit awkward to put on!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aoshaugh

I got no reply to my email about whether they would provide the set of 4 I chose to purchase, so I rang them on 1800 93 69 27 and cancelled the order.

I got no reply from buysnowsocks.com either and had to cancel my voucher by ringing Groupon/Citydeal also.
    I must say Groupon were very helpful in dealing with my issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

The voucher code was sent out in pdf form and that still, clearly, says 4...we shall have to see if 4 are delivered.

Obviously something dodgy is going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bingbangboom

hey everyone I found I was unable to make my order but when I changed the City from 'Dublin' to '.....' the order went through - hopefully they will arrive and there is nothing dodgy going on

• Registered Users Posts: 35 barney85

Was a very good deal but you can get a set on www.motorsock.ie for €50 if you missed it.

• Advertisement

I'm still looking for any reasonable offer for snow chains, but nothing available really at good prices.

Advertisement