Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Town Works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why is nothing done about the taxi drivers at that rank across from Toales?

They are a complete joke. They take up a lane and really don't care and are constantly let away with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And they have a rank in the Demesne that they never use, even though they are tailed back into Clanbrassil Street causing a traffic jam. And we can't park in the Demesne because it's marked for Taxis only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The council did try to sort it. Alternative taxi ranks options were looked at. Francis St full length on the right hand side was proposed but rejected by both business there and the taxis themselves. People are just afraid of change... it is a central location. Also there is a designated rank at the Demense but is not used, that has more to do with passengers not using it or queueing there. More and more now taxis are parking anywhere on Parks St and picking up whereever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I've seen Gardai drive by them parked on the road. That really gets my goat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I was in Dundalk at the weekend and I can't believe what they are doing to Stapleton Place opposite the old Shopping Centre. A very busy street being turned into a one lane street with parking in the middle.
    The town planners are definitely on some strong stuff and must love traffic chaos.

I said a few years ago they should've stuck an island in so traffic coming down the bridge could turn left while traffic from town could turn right. When there's a coupla decent drivers it can be done, now it can't. Daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

There are a few orange signs up now about the pedestrian crossings. Thing is, drivers are taking no heed of these. Was walking across from Earl st towards the courthouse and not one car stopped to let us over. Bring back the taffic lights ffs my gf nearly got run over aswell.

Take the reg and report it to Gardai, it will be on cctv too! Those crossings are the best thing that has happened to traffic flow in Dundalk in recent times. That drivers dont know how to observe them is ridiculous. Mind you try using one in Italy - scary business:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Take the reg and report it to Gardai, it will be on cctv too! Those crossings are the best thing that has happened to traffic flow in Dundalk in recent times. That drivers dont know how to observe them is ridiculous. Mind you try using one in Italy - scary business:eek:

I disagree. They are confusing for both motorist and pedestrian. When a car in the left lane going from the Demesne towards the Courthouse stops to allow people across the cars in the righthand lane should stop too. But how do they know the car on the left is going to stop. Traffic lights make sure they stop and are the best and safest way to regulate the crossings. There are too many distractions in that area for motorists and Traffic Lights can be read by both motorist and pedestrian and takes the decision to stop away from the motorist. Far safer in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I'm so not wild about the square,I think the idea is basically sound but the colour of the lights is pants :D.
    Stapelton Place is a nightmare,its an accident waiting to happen i think and that was only looking at the pictures in The Argus a couple of weeks ago. I actually haven't had to navigate it yet :)

I disagree. They are confusing for both motorist and pedestrian. When a car in the left lane going from the Demesne towards the Courthouse stops to allow people across the cars in the righthand lane should stop too. But how do they know the car on the left is going to stop. Traffic lights make sure they stop and are the best and safest way to regulate the crossings. There are too many distractions in that area for motorists and Traffic Lights can be read by both motorist and pedestrian and takes the decision to stop away from the motorist. Far safer in my opinion.

Drivers who do not know how to navigate the new road layout, fail to heed advance warning signs, bo not travel at an appropriate speed to be able to avoid pedestrians if an error occurs, and ultimatly do not know what to do when approaching a flashing amber light should not be driving!
    Anyhow they are new and people will become familiar.

Its amazing that very similar criticisms were rolled out when Stapleton place was made one way, when the roundabout and current road layout was installed at the Cresant, and when Earl St was pedestrianised.

On a different note, i wish they would put in a roundabout at Gallows Hill/McEntee Ave junction (at Harp) instead of that stupid '2 sided island. Particularly when busy at school times traffic flow would be so much better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

On a different note, i wish they would put in a roundabout at Gallows Hill/McEntee Ave junction (at Harp) instead of that stupid '2 sided island. Particularly when busy at school times traffic flow would be so much better![/QUOTE]

Its so annoying that island :mad:.
    If I am trying to turn right there I actually turn left and go around the roundabout in front of the Friary church,its much faster.
    What really gets my goat is when one car is stuck there trying to turn right towards the railway station and the driver doesn't have the cop on to do the above :)

Drivers who do not know how to navigate the new road layout, fail to heed advance warning signs, bo not travel at an appropriate speed to be able to avoid pedestrians if an error occurs, and ultimatly do not know what to do when approaching a flashing amber light should not be driving!
    Anyhow they are new and people will become familiar.

Its amazing that very similar criticisms were rolled out when Stapleton place was made one way, when the roundabout and current road layout was installed at the Cresant, and when Earl St was pedestrianised.

On a different note, i wish they would put in a roundabout at Gallows Hill/McEntee Ave junction (at Harp) instead of that stupid '2 sided island. Particularly when busy at school times traffic flow would be so much better!

Stapleton Place is now a disaster. If you come out from the Ramparts and want to turn into it then you have to wait for someone coming down from Hill St to stop and allow you into it. Saw a car being rear-ended when it stopped to allow traffic across only a fortnight ago.
    Agree with putting lights on Mc Entee Ave junction but it will cause bottleneck elsewhere probably at The Crescent.
    The trouble at the square is not being able to see pedestrians approaching from Clanbrassil St if there are cars on your left. Too much going on there with keeping an eye on pedestrians from your right and trying to monitor traffic coming from your left merging at the Courthouse.

I agree with you on Stapleton Place now (but i was referring to when it was originally a 2 way street and was made one way about 25years ago. We totally differ on the Square as i have never had a problem and i dont believe there is a risk if people are at safe speeds as opposed to when the lights were there drivers raced for the green and pedestrians ran to catch the red. The crossing at the Demense was a must. I suppose in all honesty i think the town centre should be completely pedestrianised - something radical to regenerate the town esp Clanbrassil St.

I agree with you on Stapleton Place now (but i was referring to when it was originally a 2 way street and was made one way about 25years ago. We totally differ on the Square as i have never had a problem and i dont believe there is a risk if people are at safe speeds as opposed to when the lights were there drivers raced for the green and pedestrians ran to catch the red. The crossing at the Demense was a must. I suppose in all honesty i think the town centre should be completely pedestrianised - something radical to regenerate the town esp Clanbrassil St.

Clanbrassil St has to be one of the most bizzare streets in Ireland. Before Costcutter opened you could not buy a loaf of bread or a pint of milk on it. You could walk from the big bridge to Grants shop in Dublin St without passing a grocery shop. Madness. Very little to entice people into it. It needs a good supermarket with rear parking to make it busy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Clanbrassil St has to be one of the most bizzare streets in Ireland. Before Costcutter opened you could not buy a loaf of bread or a pint of milk on it. You could walk from the big bridge to Grants shop in Dublin St without passing a grocery shop. Madness. Very little to entice people into it. It needs a good supermarket with rear parking to make it busy again.

Yeah,i always go looking for bread and milk as the crow flies :pac:
    :rolleyes:

Yeah,i always go looking for bread and milk as the crow flies :pac:

If you were a stranger to town you would :rolleyes:

If you were a stranger to town you would :rolleyes:
    Yeah,if i set of from the big bridge i would completly miss the bright lights of the Castletown Road............ because i forgot my guide dog :cool:

Yeah,if i set of from the big bridge i would completly miss the bright lights of the Castletown Road............ because i forgot my guide dog :cool:

?????

I see that roadworks are underway @ the corner of Chapel St/Yorke St. to make a one way- system. What way is that going to run ??

Reduce the width of the footpath on Chapel St, or ban parking, or make it one way...where's York St?(From Clanbrassil St to Chapel St at Byrnes chemist?).

• Advertisement

Are you the lad with the flat nose that keeps bumping into me ?

Whats going on with the road now?!

Dunny! wrote: »
    Whats going on with the road now?!

Instead of widening the road they are making the footpath bigger it seems.
    The town is becoming a joke planning wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i was listening to a bit of a row on LMFM this morning about the new cycle lanes in dundalk seemingly making things very tight for the motorist and no car space left for the residents :confused:so is the council now going to re do the whole job again it was said it cost 88 grand for the work.

i wonder if those gob****es in the planning office ever though to ask the cycling community in dundalk on how to go about building a cycle lane that everyone would be happy with.

i was listening to a bit of a row on LMFM this morning about the new cycle lanes in dundalk seemingly making things very tight for the motorist and no car space left for the residents :confused:so is the council now going to re do the whole job again it was said it cost 88 grand for the work.

i wonder if those gob****es in the planning office ever though to ask the cycling community in dundalk on how to go about building a cycle lane that everyone would be happy with.

I think that the Dundalk cycling community HAVE been consulted and are in agreement with Dundalk TC with the plans that are being put in place :eek:

Re Yorke St/Chapel St;it is going to end up as a disaster.

Both streets are to be one-way only & a new pedestrian only entrance(about 50 yds from the current gate along with assoc. widened footpaths and pedestrian barriers) from the secondary school will come into use either fairly soon or in the new school year.

Parking for residents in Chapel St/Yorke St & for local businesses will be severevly restricted because of these changes.

Instead of widening the road they are making the footpath bigger it seems.
    The town is becoming a joke planning wise.
    Havent been round the square to see the works in question but the Argus reports that a gas leak meant the digging up of the footpath at where Tootsie McKeowns old shop was. Also the construction company has been brought back to do remedial work?!

I also see that the taxi ranks at the Demense and Carroll Village are being closed. A new one is opening at Francis St and another at Parks St that will operate between 10pm and 6am (think it was this thread that this was mentioned before).

I think that the Dundalk cycling community HAVE been consulted and are in agreement with Dundalk TC with the plans that are being put in place :eek:

Re Yorke St/Chapel St;it is going to end up as a disaster.

Both streets are to be one-way only & a new pedestrian only entrance(about 50 yds from the current gate along with assoc. widened footpaths and pedestrian barriers) from the secondary school will come into use either fairly soon or in the new school year.

Parking for residents in Chapel St/Yorke St & for local businesses will be severevly restricted because of these changes.

Chapel St was already a disaster and should have been one way for years, i do see though the difficulties faced by residents with parking as a result of the cycle lanes.

I don't believe this but I heard it from a resident of Stapleton Place -- The Council are to restore the street to it's original state ????? More money wasted if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Yet more roadworks at Market Square. I see they are widening the footpaths on the left as you enter the square. Seems awful tight now for 2 lanes of traffic. Only 1 lane at the moment with all the temporary fencing up. Will there still be 2 lanes after all this is done?

• Advertisement

Two lanes of pedestrians. :)

Advertisement