Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Town Works

Options
245

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Was in Dundalk last week. I didn't like the new black & grey effect of the Square at all. Too sombre, in keeping with the mood of the Nation though. I couldn't see the 3 million euro in that job at all.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1


    I agree the Grey is very dull. The street furniture is clumpy and not at all stylish. That said, anything would be an improvement.

    And why on earth did they not repair the Maid of Eireann when they were at it???


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner


    Was in Dundalk last week. I didn't like the new black & grey effect of the Square at all. Too sombre, in keeping with the mood of the Nation though. I couldn't see the 3 million euro in that job at all.

    I was thinking the same thing myself.
    The multicoloured fountains look like an expensive bit of kit, but does it really cost 3 million Euro to block pave and tarmac a market square?
    Materials aside, I suppose the biggest cost was the plant hire and labour.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs


    To be honest, I think the alternating colours in the fountain look tacky. Also, where are the college heads meant to put their washing up liquid?


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia


    I couldn't disagree more over the 'tacky fountain colours', I'm eager to see how it integrates with the finished product. The current road surfacing is very poor, I hope that's not the final finish. I'll reserve judgement on the project until all works are complete.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny


    MugMugs wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the alternating colours in the fountain look tacky. Also, where are the college heads meant to put their washing up liquid?

    Doing the dishes for once maybe?:pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs


    I couldn't disagree more over the 'tacky fountain colours', I'm eager to see how it integrates with the finished product. The current road surfacing is very poor, I hope that's not the final finish. I'll reserve judgement on the project until all works are complete.

    Drove by it yesterday and didn't think a lot. I'll go for a run that direction during the week and suss it out. Everything sucks on first impressions for me! :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool


    i drove past it lastnight ,it looked fairly good ,,
    saying that there where a few gob****es playing waterjet roulette with it .
    suppose it would come in handy for washing the underside of your car for free before the NCT ?


  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni


    I just can't wait until it's fully finished. They're still rattling about there this morning.


  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool


    Has anyone concidered it might be a working monument to days of old ???

    You Know when people had jobs
    And worked in the building trade .

    Dublin has the sculpture of the poor souls juring the famine .

    Dundalk has a live working sculpture of people actually working !

    Played by actors of course .


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny


    That road is still a mess and dangerous as f**k! Absolutley no markings and the cars are all over the place on it


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner


    I think the black and grey paving on the pedestrian crossings is not visible enough to motorists. It would be better tarmacced black and painted white in the traditional way. I also think the crossings need some signage and amber lights.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles


    Dunny! wrote: »
    That road is still a mess and dangerous as f**k! Absolutley no markings and the cars are all over the place on it
    I think the black and grey paving on the pedestrian crossings is not visible enough to motorists. It would be better tarmacced black and painted white in the traditional way. I also think the crossings need some signage and amber lights.

    Disaster waiting to happen there.
    Think i heard Paddy Malone, who is chair of Dundalk Chamber say the other night, that those probs will be sorted ASAP.
    Let's hope so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Its quite a come-down from the original plans as posted previously
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4VCUCoa08


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs


    Well there's no kid trying to RAM a traffic cone into the fountain in that one. Just went for a run and the little **** told me to f off when I told him to stop. He stopped straight after that. :D. Who's taking odds on how long before its destroyed? :(


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mirrorb4ll


    New square is awful. Here's why:

    1. Still not finished and it's 3 months over schedule. I hope Dundalk Council are getting some money back from the contractor for this although i have my doubts.

    2. They left that ugly useless Arts building or whatever the hell it is there. Should have bulldozed it down. I've never seen anybody going in or out of the place, it is undoubtedly a waste of money, and it is ugly as hell.

    3. As mentioned already, the coloured lights in the fountain are tacky as f**k. Tacky. No class, no refinement, cheap looking.

    4. The footpath on the side that runs from Vodafone to where Jubago used to be is about 3 times too wide. They should have kept the width the same (or perhaps slightly wider but not much), kept the road where it was and made the actual square (you know, the one where markets and stuff can go?) bigger. It's called Market Square. We should be encouraging it's use for that purpose.

    5. Too many tiles. Should have used big tiles like 3 foot square or more instead of the eyesore, headache inducing maze of black and grey tiles they went with. Easier to keep clean, and looks classier. It actually looks dull and dirty at the minute. I can only imagine it in 5 years time.

    6. Footpath and road have practically the same tile pattern as each other - accident waiting to happen. Tar the entire road and paint clean white lines and make things clearer. They did the same in O'Connell street. Idiots.

    7. The pedestrian crossings are confusing too - more black and grey tiles. Is it a pedestrian crossing? Is it not? Who knows. Black and white zebra lines... done. Everybody knows the score. Simple.

    The whole thing is clearly better than the abomination that was there before it but that's not really the point is it? It's about value for money. People don't seem to realise this. When asked about it by a woman today i said i didn't like it. She told me i should be grateful it was done up (she stopped short of calling me a begrudger and a naysayer - people love throwing those words around). Grateful? If it was done for free by some charitable construction firm i wuld be very grateful. But it wasn't. It was paid for by taxpayers. The public. Me. And you. And it's crap. And i'm fully entitled to say so.

    An expensive, tacky, overdesigned, eyesore put together by a bunch of civil servants with too much time on their hands and no common sense or taste. I expected nothing less.

    End rant. Good to get that off my chest. I feel better now. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Mirrorb4ll wrote: »
    New square is awful. Here's why:

    1. Still not finished and it's 3 months over schedule. I hope Dundalk Council are getting some money back from the contractor for this although i have my doubts.

    2. They left that ugly useless Arts building or whatever the hell it is there. Should have bulldozed it down. I've never seen anybody going in or out of the place, it is undoubtedly a waste of money, and it is ugly as hell.

    3. As mentioned already, the coloured lights in the fountain are tacky as f**k. Tacky. No class, no refinement, cheap looking.

    4. The footpath on the side that runs from Vodafone to where Jubago used to be is about 3 times too wide. They should have kept the width the same (or perhaps slightly wider but not much), kept the road where it was and made the actual square (you know, the one where markets and stuff can go?) bigger. It's called Market Square. We should be encouraging it's use for that purpose.

    5. Too many tiles. Should have used big tiles like 3 foot square or more instead of the eyesore, headache inducing maze of black and grey tiles they went with. Easier to keep clean, and looks classier. It actually looks dull and dirty at the minute. I can only imagine it in 5 years time.

    6. Footpath and road have practically the same tile pattern as each other - accident waiting to happen. Tar the entire road and paint clean white lines and make things clearer. They did the same in O'Connell street. Idiots.

    7. The pedestrian crossings are confusing too - more black and grey tiles. Is it a pedestrian crossing? Is it not? Who knows. Black and white zebra lines... done. Everybody knows the score. Simple.

    The whole thing is clearly better than the abomination that was there before it but that's not really the point is it? It's about value for money. People don't seem to realise this. When asked about it by a woman today i said i didn't like it. She told me i should be grateful it was done up (she stopped short of calling me a begrudger and a naysayer - people love throwing those words around). Grateful? If it was done for free by some charitable construction firm i wuld be very grateful. But it wasn't. It was paid for by taxpayers. The public. Me. And you. And it's crap. And i'm fully entitled to say so.

    An expensive, tacky, overdesigned, eyesore put together by a bunch of civil servants with too much time on their hands and no common sense or taste. I expected nothing less.

    End rant. Good to get that off my chest. I feel better now. :)

    That was a fair long rant there. Fair and long.


  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool


    I hope they have upgraded the CCTV
    Because with all the fantastic colors and fountains the muggings and riots at the weekends are gonna look like a
    Duran Duran video !


  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk


    Mirrorb4ll wrote: »

    2. They left that ugly useless Arts building or whatever the hell it is there. Should have bulldozed it down. I've never seen anybody going in or out of the place, it is undoubtedly a waste of money, and it is ugly as hell.

    3. As mentioned already, the coloured lights in the fountain are tacky as f**k. Tacky. No class, no refinement, cheap looking.

    That is being knocked and a new building is going in there. There will be an open plan cafe facing the square.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mirrorb4ll


    Dundalk wrote: »
    That is being knocked and a new building is going in there. There will be an open plan cafe facing the square.

    Well that's just dumb.
    If they're planning on putting ANYTHING there they should have knocked it when they were bulldozing the fountain. Much more efficient. At the minute they have installed all those tiles around the perimeter of it. Are they planning on knocking it and buiding a café the exact same size as the building that's there at the minute? And all without damaging the tiles they have just installed in the last 2 weeks.

    Also, a café? Really? Run by who? A private company? It's a public square. If a private company got use of that land that is a joke. If it is a private company what happens if the business is not profitable? They close down and you have a boarded up shell of a building smack in the middle of a public market square. Beautiful.

    And if it's not a private company that means the council have decided to get into the coffee shop game? Brilliant. :rolleyes:

    The mind boggles...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter


    I've driven past numerous times since it's been opened and was a bit blah about it but had chance to view it on foot over the last few days and i have to say the square looks really well, very open and bright, though i think the coloured fountain lights are a little bit tacky, i thought they'd be coloured only for xmas. But, as for the road layout !..........It's a joke ! Especially the junction of clanbrassil/crowe/earl street. It's almost as if there is a slight hill as pass mcguills and it's completely unclear that the crossing is a pelican one, i'm not even sure if it is. The middle island is flush with the road, i've seen ppl just drive right over it and as a result strangers coming from clanbrassil don't necessarily reakise there is oncoming traffic from the right. I'm surprised there hasn't been collisions as of yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    I think it's the Planners revenge on Dundalk. Its like a puzzle for drivers there now. Was the man on any kind of medication when drawing that up ?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mirrorb4ll


    Yep. Totally agree and an accident waiting to happen as i said. Couple more things that suck about it now thats its finished and i've had a chance to take it all in:

    - the flashing orange lights that mark the pedestrain crossings are hideous. epilepsy inducing, they look like roadworks from a distance, like the lights you would see flashing on top of a digger. simple flashing amber small traffic lights would be much better.

    - the fountain isn't even turned on most of the time. not that i'm complaining as its tacky as f**k with those lights. but what's the point of it if they're only going to turn it on every now and then?

    - the seating. half the seats have an upright back that faces AWAY from the centre of the square. ie. facing the buildings behind. if ever there's anything going on in the middle of the square worth watching that people gather for (eg. music or performance of any kind) half the people sitting down can't see what's going on. why anybody would want to face the wall in behind them instead of the big open square and fountain is beyond me. another over-designed attribute brought to you courtesy of dundalk town council.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner


    The pedestrian crossings are an accident waiting to happen.
    They should have tarmacced them and painted white zebra stripes, and have amber flashing lights on poles at drivers eye level.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade


    The fact the island outside the courthouse is the same level as the road is a nightmare. It's hard enough to see in the daytime, nevermind at night.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter


    Mirrorb4ll wrote: »
    - the flashing orange lights that mark the pedestrain crossings are hideous. epilepsy inducing, they look like roadworks from a distance, like the lights you would see flashing on top of a digger. simple flashing amber small traffic lights would be much better.

    .


    You mean that's the finished product ??:eek:.....I had assumed they just hadn't put the 'globe' over them yet . Surely these lights and the off coloured stripes can't be legal in terms of being official pedestrian crossings, and in that case is it legal to have 'unofficially marked ' pedestrian crossings.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1


    From the Raod Safey Authority's Rules of the Road:

    Zebra crossing
    This is marked by yellow flashing beacons. The actual crossing area is marked by black and white "zebra" stripes.


    The crossings at the Square are not valid. The beacons are too high to be seen from a car and the crossings are not marked to distinguish them as crossings.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead


    You mean that's the finished product ??:eek:.....I had assumed they just hadn't put the 'globe' over them yet . Surely these lights and the off coloured stripes can't be legal in terms of being official pedestrian crossings, and in that case is it legal to have 'unofficially marked ' pedestrian crossings.
    You assumed correctly. According to today's Dundalk Leader the orange globes have been ordered and will be installed by end of this month. Current flashing lights only a temporary measure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    I was in Dundalk at the weekend and I can't believe what they are doing to Stapleton Place opposite the old Shopping Centre. A very busy street being turned into a one lane street with parking in the middle.
    The town planners are definitely on some strong stuff and must love traffic chaos.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny


    Starting to grow on me. It's bright and open, although that fountain is tacky.

    Crossings need to be sorted aswell.


Advertisement