Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dundalk Town Works

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Yet more roadworks at Market Square. I see they are widening the footpaths on the left as you enter the square. Seems awful tight now for 2 lanes of traffic. Only 1 lane at the moment with all the temporary fencing up. Will there still be 2 lanes after all this is done?

Hard to see how there will be room for two lanes when it's finished, look's far too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is absolutely no need for much of these new initiatives.
    If its not broken why fix it.
    I thought we were broke anyway.
    I'm sure the big hole in the middle of the road in Bachelors Walk is of greater need of fixing than this footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

TopBombing wrote: »
    Hard to see how there will be room for two lanes when it's finished, look's far too tight.

Can't see this working too well at busy times if there's only going to be 1 lane into the square.

Works done now. Still 2 lanes into the square thank goodness.

Works on Stapleton Place started now. All the trees cut down. What's plan here I wonder? Widen it back to 2 lanes and narrow the cycles lanes?

What work did they actually do? All I could see yesterday was the new bump by the demesne and they removed the lights at the square and replace them with lower, temporary lights.

• Advertisement

What work did they actually do? All I could see yesterday was the new bump by the demesne and they removed the lights at the square and replace them with lower, temporary lights.

Footpaths widened on the left of the bump.

Footpaths widened on the left of the bump.

Are they planning on doing anything with the lights at the square? Thought they were putting in pedestrian lights for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There are pelican crossings there, no?

MugMugs wrote: »
    There are pelican crossings there, no?

There wasn't yesterday, still just the temporary flashing orange light at head-height.

Can't see the need for widening that footpath at all.
    It is rarely used.
    Just burying money.

• Advertisement

Can't see the need for widening that footpath at all.
    It is rarely used.
    Just burying money.

You cynic. http://talkofthetown.ie/2014/02/26/town-councillors-unable-to-ring-fence-reserve-funds-for-future-use-in-dundalk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Piece in this morning's Democrat. Apparently the junction at the new Tesco is to be reassessed and a new layout put in place. Half of all motorists coming up the Ramparts still turn directly right on to Stapleton Drive and buses and lorries have difficulties with the small roundabout further up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Ryker Wooden Headphone

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Piece in this morning's Democrat. Apparently the junction at the new Tesco is to be reassessed and a new layout put in place. Half of all motorists coming up the Ramparts still turn directly right on to Stapleton Drive and buses and lorries have difficulties with the small roundabout further up.

It's a disaster of a junction. Who ever thought it a good idea to swing at the roundabout and then navigate that little slip road to go to the Dublin rd, Stapleton place, Carrick rd etc?

It really is crazy. it's on the tail end of my training cycle route on a saturday and I've had to change it due to many close calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The Dundalk soultion will be to put traffic lights up.....

I was thinking more cycle lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

You win! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

It'll be a bloody mess as per. It's like it's trial and error with as much error as trial with the planning department.

It'll be a bloody mess as per. It's like it's trial and error with as much error as trial with the planning department.

Yet again the incompetence of the engineers in the council has manifested itself in poor traffic management.

It's really not that complicated but I'd love to know how they ****ed this up so badly since the planning stage.

I mean the Iron Road or whatever it was was basically a cul-de-sac before. Lidl is private access. Tesco is private access. Those factors seem to have been completely ignored since the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Speed limit on the Dublin Road is now 50 km/h from town out as far as Dromad Hire just past DkIT. Used to be to the Ladywell Shrine entrance, then 60 km/h thereafter.

Still nothing done about the following. Amount of cars that continue to turn directly right on to Stapleton Drive is crazy.
    RED L4 0TH wrote: »

B17G wrote: »
    Speed limit on the Dublin Road is now 50 km/h from town out as far as Dromad Hire just past DkIT. Used to be to the Ladywell Shrine entrance, then 60 km/h thereafter.

Still nothing done about the following. Amount of cars that continue to turn directly right on to Stapleton Drive is crazy.

It was crazy not to allow them turn right in the first place.
    Must have been the thinking of that clown who put in all the cycle lanes and bollards i.e. Chapel Street.

Why a public road leads into private premises with a U-turn on a roundabout required to avoid it is beyond me. It's another mess on the Lidl side too.

• Stapleton Place closed off this morning until the 26th for resurfacing. Hopefully with the midterm break next week the disruption to traffic won't be as bad as it would be in a normal week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Most likely the reason it's being done next week then - sounds like someone in the Council had a brainwave as opposed to the usual brainfarts they get accused of having.

Most likely the reason it's being done next week then - sounds like someone in the Council had a brainwave as opposed to the usual brainfarts they get accused of having.

They might have done something this morning though, to tell motorists coming from Tesco that they can't go up Stapleton. The chaos this morning as cars tried to turn right only to have to do a U turn on Dublin Street was ridiculous.

Stapleton Place closed off this morning until the 26th for resurfacing. Hopefully with the midterm break next week the disruption to traffic won't be as bad as it would be in a normal week.
    Was this posted anywhere in advance?
    I live in the area and I was not notified.
    A wee bit of communications wouldn't go astray.

Anyone see the state Irish Water left Mc Sweeney St in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Was this posted anywhere in advance?
    I live in the area and I was not notified.
    A wee bit of communications wouldn't go astray.

Anyone see the state Irish Water left Mc Sweeney St in?
    \

No notice on their website, no complaints forms either. Mighty public service altogether :rolleyes:

It was on Talk of the Town a couple of weeks ago, but that'll not sufficient by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Stapleton Place closed off this morning until the 26th for resurfacing. Hopefully with the midterm break next week the disruption to traffic won't be as bad as it would be in a normal week.

sadly this has not worked out well, left DkIT at 5 pm today, traffic from new tesco backed up all the way to xerox in both directions.
    When I made it to the junction at Stapleton place cars were turning in and u turning back, no confusion on their part, they simply cannot turn right at the mc donalds junction so this is the only way to go toward town.

This seemed to be what was causing the back log all the way up the Dublin road, no idea why traffic was so bad going out of town soutwards.

30 mins to go from DkIT to Anne Street before I could turn left and escape all the traffic.

Advertisement