Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Still havent heard WHO WON?
    world 100km champion Giorgio Calcaterra won the ultra event in a time of 3:56
    :eek:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0402/1224314230661.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Still havent heard WHO WON?

Which race?

Ultra: Giorgio Calcaterra - 3:56:56(!)
    Full: George Waugh - 2:36:21
    Half: Matthew Bidwell - 1:14:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

belcarra wrote: »
    Which race?

Ultra: Giorgio Calcaterra - 3:56:56(!)
    Full: George Waugh - 2:36:21
    Half: Matthew Bidwell - 1:14:30

Ultra time is impressive. He wasn't too far off the marathon winners pace

He has a major race coming up in 3 weeks time so I think even at that pace he cruised around!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done to all yesterday for conquering the HOTW regardless of distance. Hope the bodies are not too bad today.

Was looking through the results in the Indo and see that no.27 in the Ultra was down as 'A N Other' in sub 5.30. I know the results were done in a hurry for the paper but i hope that they get their time after all that running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Are the finish times in the Indo gun or chip times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

martyoo wrote: »
    Are the finish times in the Indo gun or chip times?

I think they're gun times as my result is 30 seconds slower than my garmin time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

he's a beast. He's the 100k world champ and is defending his title in 3 weeks. By all accounts he is very famous in italy and the states so it was a so it was a real coup for connemarathon to get him he'd promised the organiser he'd go sub 4 but i reckon he could have done 3:4x if pushed. A few years ago he ran 16 sub 2:20 marathons in a year witha pb of 2:14

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Hi, does anybody have a link to the results. Can't find them on Indo site.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

its only in the print edition as yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Provisional results up on the connemara website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Just got off the phone from nasa, they said they have my explosion on tape. visable from outer space apparently:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Just got off the phone from nasa, they said they have my explosion on tape. visable from outer space apparently:D

You even lost to that Karl Henry eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Yes but CL and I chicked him so all is not lost ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

You wanna here him in the last mile. Screaming like a mental patient:D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Not long back from Letterfrack. Well done to all who took part yesterday...What an occasion... Myself ,TFB and Ray Lanigan even made a cameo appearance on RTE :rolleyes:.. Last year the Ultra tore me to shreds, this year it tore me to shreds and next year it will probably do the same :D

In a heap today but over the moon with 4.52.47....... Will write up something in the next few days ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Connamara Marathon Race Report
    So my third marathon since June 2011, my best time previously was the DCM which I finished in 3:58 making it my first sub4 marathon and was thrilled.

So with connemarathon I hoped it either also hit 3:58 or better it, my pace target was 5:36 per km making for a sub 3:57, potentially too ambitious given my lack of hill training and that I've been sick all of late but here goes.

Got to the start and off we went, felt pretty good but at this stage I was worried about the weather as I had expected it to be cooler and with less sun so I had made the mistake of bringing everything else except for sun cream.

All went well and had chats to lots of people as time progressed, met one chap who had run the course a number of times so he knew exactly where the hills started/ended, perhaps in hindsight I should have studied the course better :)

Now this is where I made by biggest mistake, I wasn't paying attention to my pacing and instead of 5:36 I was doing much closer to 5:25 avg pace up until near Leenane.

As I hit Leenane I knew things were just about to get much harder which wasn't going to be good as I knew that certainly at mile 22 the hills were going to really make bits of me.

The climb out of Leenane hit me hard and I found it awfully hard to make it up the hill, it killed me but this was the first time I walked although I only did so for maybe 50metres.

After the climb out of Leenane I soldiered on, at I think around mile 21 menoscemo passed me for the first time...but certainly not the last, despite the pain he mentioned he was in I still told him he'd finish far ahead of me. I passed him twice more before he finally passed me not to be seen again.

The last climb towards Maam Cross really chewed me up and spat me out, at this stage I was walking for 100-200metres at a time just to keep making progress, the legs were in alot of pain, I was exhausted and saw my watch get closer to 4hrs so I knew that there was no chance I was passing that line before the 4hr mark.

2miles out from Maam Cross I decided sod this I'm going to run to the finish for the rest of this with no more of this walking lark!....that and I doubt I'm the only person that noticed him but I was determent as hell for the chap running in jeans not to beat me :D

The first mile downhill felt great and it was a huge lift to finally pass so many people after being passed when I walked, the second mile didn't feel so great but I kept on going, gave it one last push to pass the finish in 4:11 (garmin).

So I didn't hit my target and some of that is down to me going to fast and also the heat really killed me.

Did I enjoy?? Hell yes!, the hills chewed me up and spat me out and I feel glorious! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Great race, great day (if a bit too much on the sunny side for comfort) and the hill didn't beat me up (that much) this time. Really happy with my time 02:01:28 which is a full 16 minutes off my last Connemara HM from 2010 :cool:

Superbly organised event - all ran very smooth - and the soup at the end was like nectar! Fantastic support out too, and the atmosphere was so friendly and supportive. Loved it. I think I may be back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have my race report on my blog.
    A word of warning, it is of the usual, epic rambling style.

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2012/04/hell-is-lonely-place.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congratulations on your top 10 finish! I really enjoyed your race report.
    My cousin ran the half and was describing to me the crazy sounds an Ultra runner was making as he passed, now that I know it was you I'll have to tell him those sounds came from a running legend:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Marthastew wrote: »
    My cousin ran the half and was describing to me the crazy sounds an Ultra runner was making as he passed

Haha, I dare say he's not the only one who thought that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

great report.. i even got the missus to read it... to try and get her to understand the madness.....:D:D

i presume the "noise" in question is the same as in BC!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Well done TFB - fantastic result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Great stuff, really enjoyed that report.....not sure about the name of the blog though- if that's rubbish running I dread to think of a suitable description for my plodding!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 isogel

Nice blog there TFBubendorfer.. a nice inside story of an ultra runner and of course well done on breaking the 5 hours ..

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Here's a set of photos I took - http://bit.ly/HbETiF - very much a Le Cheile slant to them but plenty of others too ...
    Cracking day out there, well done to you all, was very jealous I couldn't run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Here's a set of photos I took - http://bit.ly/HbETiF - very much a Le Cheile slant to them but plenty of others too ...
    Cracking day out there, well done to you all, was very jealous I couldn't run.

Thanks Patrick. I managed to find one of myself there that's actually presentable (unlike the offical photos). I'm guessing that was near the finish line? If so i am really surprised I was still able to bend my left knee :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Excellent report. Great result too

Advertisement