Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remove your helmet at a petrol station?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I don't take my helmet off. I don't see the problem with leaving it on. I don't see how it's ignorant to leave it on. If I'm going into the shop to purchase something with my petrol I'll take it off because I don't want to walk around a shop with my helmet on, plus I wouldn't like to make the staff nervous seeing a person with a helmet walk around the whole shop. If you're just dropping a €20 on the counter I don't see the problem.

That thread about "aggressive" bikers was someone whinging because someone on a bike overtook him, the typical jealous car driver.

How is it aggressive to refuse to remove your helmet?

If they refuse to unlock the pumps for me because I'm trying to fill up with my lid on then I go to the next station but in fairness I always use the same two petrol stations, one down the road from the house and one down the road from work so in both places they know me and never had any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I take mine off out of habit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

i dont think it is agressive, as i said i dont take it off.
    its so much hassel to take it off and put it back on.
    my head is nice and snug in the helmet and i like to keep it that way,
    and I have never been challenged on it.
    although i do use the same two stations, Esso at kill on the N7 and King oil athy, and I have been using them for the last 5 years, so maybe they are used to me now.
    if I get cash out or get the lotto with my petrol, i dont take my helmet off either.

if i was ever to be challenged, i would flip the lid, or even take it off, but i have never had to.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

jameshayes wrote: »
    ya wouldn't ask a Muslim to remove a Burka - one is about religion but both are about free will

Actually, I have.

Did not go down to well, but it was hidding her features, and I insisted she take it off, or leave - she left.

I might not take off my helmet when filling, but it is the polite thing to do when going into the shop to pay.

As another poster said - it is like having a conversation with somone on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

P.C. wrote: »
    Actually, I have.

Did not go down to well, but it was hidding her features, and I insisted she take it off, or leave - she left.

I might not take off my helmet when filling, but it is the polite thing to do when going into the shop to pay.

As another poster said - it is like having a conversation with somone on the phone.

Ha Ha Ha I would have loving to see her face when you said that. Literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

I take my helmet off all the time when going into the station but leave it on when at the pump. The point about the burka is a good one in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Actually, I have.

To be honest mate, I think I know the place where you work or worked. The rate that place has been robbed over the years I'd be asking everyone to pose for a photo at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its not acceptable to go into a shop or an place with large volumes of cash when everything but your eyes is obscured. Fine if its your local and they are used to you. Not ok in pretty much every other circumstance.

And being annoyed at having to remove it when entering a petrol station? My local in a good area was robbed six times in a month. And bike helmets were used among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I don't take my helmet off. I don't see the problem with leaving it on. I don't see how it's ignorant to leave it on. If I'm going into the shop to purchase something with my petrol I'll take it off because I don't want to walk around a shop with my helmet on, plus I wouldn't like to make the staff nervous seeing a person with a helmet walk around the whole shop. If you're just dropping a €20 on the counter I don't see the problem.

It's more likely that an (armed) robber will go straight to the cash register than wander around checking out the price of milk first. I'm sure some might wait around for customers to leave, but I'd expect in and out asap is the norm!

Would you not think that someone coming in with their head and face covered, making a beeline for the cash register will make the assistant more nervous than the same going over to the deli counter or to check out the shelves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Don't take mine off, only had an issue once before with one garage and don't go back there now at all.

Don't see the problem with it, i usually only take off my gloves so i can get the money out which i always try and have ready before going into shop so they don't have heart failure with me putting my hand in my pocket at the counter:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Don't take mine off buying fuel - its too much hassle with neck warmers and earplugs. I can't hear what they are saying so I just fill to €20 and have the money ready when I walk in. I used leave the lid on when I was shopping in Tesco - they didn't like that.

'cptr

It's more likely that an (armed) robber will go straight to the cash register than wander around checking out the price of milk first. I'm sure some might wait around for customers to leave, but I'd expect in and out asap is the norm!

Would you not think that someone coming in with their head and face covered, making a beeline for the cash register will make the assistant more nervous than the same going over to the deli counter or to check out the shelves?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Lid on, mickey out. Now I'm here to kill you, Little Bill. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

i generally burst through the door all credit cards blazin'. Lid stays on. i make 1 exception, that texaco station on the n4 near lucan .female staff are hotties :-) and hoping some day one will ask me out, although with my ugly mug, maybe i should leave it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I wear a flip up, so just leave it open. When I had a closed face I never took it off. Never had any problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

leave it on, but its a local station and everyone knows me well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At the Statoil (now Topaz) near Newlands Cross a good few years ago, in broad daylight, I was asked to pre-pay before they'd even turn the pump on. I told them this was not acceptable, and have never been back with bike or car. I live not far away, plenty of alternative places that won't treat me like a POS though, so their loss.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Actually, I have.

LMFAO, why do I have no problem believing you actually did this? :pac:

But comparing a helmet to a burka, why not? For the purposes of this thread they do the same thing, cover your face - which is the problem right?

Until petrol stations change their 'Remove all helmets' signs for 'Remove all headwear' signs they can go and sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Until petrol stations change their 'Remove all helmets' signs for 'Remove all headwear' signs they can go and sh1te.

Quite right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I wear a flip up lid, so I usually flip up the chin bar before I pump the petrol, then when I go in to pay if there is a sign on the door saying helmets must be removed, I'll take it off. If not I usually just leave it flipped up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

LMFAO, why do I have no problem believing you actually did this? :pac:

But comparing a helmet to a burka, why not? For the purposes of this thread they do the same thing, cover your face - which is the problem right?

And if the let you fill up first and then they ask you to remove it, they can expect a reaction like #9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Nope will if I am asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I wear a Schuberth C3 myself which has a fairly big opening so 75% of my face is visible. Its also a flip lid. I generally don't take it off and if they start that shouting nonsense across the forecourt then I'll just leave the pump on the ground calmly and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

KTRIC wrote: »
    I wear a Schuberth C3 myself which has a fairly big opening so 75% of my face is visible. Its also a flip lid. I generally don't take it off and if they start that shouting nonsense across the forecourt then I'll just leave the pump on the ground calmly and go somewhere else.

Haha love it, i usually just leave without filling up, never thought of leaving the pump on the ground that is class:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

reece wrote: »
    .... i make 1 exception, that texaco station on the n4 near lucan .female staff are hotties :-) ...

I use it all the time on the bike. I think that is one place that you are never asked to remove your helmet since it's always full of Garda who must have a contract there for petrol. I'm just waiting for the time some plonker that doesn't know this attempts to rob the place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

It WAS the manager!! :P If it was just one of the general staff, I wouldn't have given him the earful I did.

Well, at least it wasn't just some random guy you decided to use as a verbal punchbag, but at the same time, nobody forces you to go to a particular shop. If it's his shop, we're obliged to either abide by his rules or go somewhere else. Behaving like a chimpanzee isn't what a grown-up should do when something doesn't go their way.

I'm sure if they got as many people coming in in burkhas as bike helmets it might make sense to consider changing the signs. But unless half the country suddenly decides to convert to Islam, I don't think it really makes sense to do so just at the moment, and the comparison is (as it stands) a little silly.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Well, at least it wasn't just some random guy you decided to use as a verbal punchbag, but at the same time, nobody forces you to go to a particular shop. If it's his shop, we're obliged to either abide by his rules or go somewhere else. Behaving like a chimpanzee isn't what a grown-up should do when something doesn't go their way.

I'm sure if they got as many people coming in in burkhas as bike helmets it might make sense to consider changing the signs. But unless half the country suddenly decides to convert to Islam, I don't think it really makes sense to do so just at the moment, and the comparison is (as it stands) a little silly.

Nobody forces anybody to go anywhere and that is the whole point. Garages like that will quickly find themselves without regular custom if they continue enforcing exclusionary rules based on your mode of transport. It is very easy for any person to just continue onto the next garage to get their petrol, it's not so easy for a person running a garage to go out onto the street looking for custom without looking pathetically desperate.

People on bikes are customers the same as people using other modes of transport, why should we be treated any differently? Just because a car driver's face isn't obscured doesn't mean he's any less likely to pull a "drive off".

I seriously doubt half the country drive bikes so that statement is a little silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

if they continue enforcing exclusionary rules based on your mode of transport

People on bikes are customers the same as people using other modes of transport, why should we be treated any differently?

People on bikes are not treated differently (as evidenced by the fact that you'll never have a problem if you take off your helmet). If a car driver tried to go into a garage wearing a helmet, they'd get the exact same response.
    I seriously doubt half the country drive bikes so that statement is a little silly.

Not that my comment was meant to reflect an exact statistic, but only muslim women wear burkhas, so you should be doubting that a quarter of the country drive bikes, not half (actually, a quarter of drivers to be more accurate, as probably around a quarter of the country don't drive at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

if they continue enforcing exclusionary rules based on your mode of transport

People on bikes are customers the same as people using other modes of transport, why should we be treated any differently?

People on bikes are not treated differently (as evidenced by the fact that you'll never have a problem if you take off your helmet). If a car driver tried to go into a garage wearing a helmet, they'd get the exact same response.

Not that my comment was meant to reflect an exact statistic, but only muslim women wear burkhas, so you should be doubting that a quarter of the country drive bikes, not half (actually, a quarter of drivers to be more accurate, as probably around a quarter of the country don't drive at all).

Usually I take the helmet off. Helmets aren't the nicest thing to wear. Sometimes I push it up on my head if time is short. Usually removing the helmet as it's more pleasant and good manners.

Motorcyclists have to wear helmets. Muhammadean woman only wear those sinister tents or burkas because they'd become an honour killing victim at the hands of male members of that moon cult if they didn't.. No one has a right to go about with a mask on because an imaginary friend in the sky told them to wear it.

Helmets off when dealing with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not that my comment was meant to reflect an exact statistic, but only muslim women wear burkhas,

But that's the thing, how do you know it's actually a woman underneath.

But back on topic, generally I buy my petrol in the same local garage, will leave my lid on but will take gloves off and have cash/wallet in hand. At least this way you look less threatening. If I was at another garage I'd always take it off, would never enter my head to leave it on tbh.

Advertisement