Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remove your helmet at a petrol station?

Options
  • 26-10-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Like the title says: Do you take off your helmet at a petrol station when filling your tank and/or paying for the petrol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

Nope, never.

The only thing I take off are my gloves.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Always do. Dont think id fancy being a checkout person seeing someone in a helmet approaching and reaching into their pocket:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'll take it off when entering the premises. Any premises, not just a petrol station. But no, not at the pumps. And if they won't turn the pump on, I won't use their station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If it's just for fuel, then no as I am in and out and all I'll be saying is the pump number. I've never had the pumps locked on me

But if I'm picking up extra stuff like a paper or a coke or browsing the shelves then yes I would

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

only station i go to these days is tescos in dundrum. Pay at the pump..dont even have to get off the bike :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

This was about 4 years ago....

I got petrol and went to pay, but the security guard refused to allow me in until I remove my lid. I refused to take my lid off as I don't like being treated like a criminal & he was so aggressive about it.

Using my phone, I recorded the fact that he wouldn't allow me to get to the till and that he refused to take payment. Then I drove off, stopped by the Garda station nearby and showed them the footage & gave my name/address.

I'm not normally such a complete $%^$, but the security guard was extremely rough and insulting right from the very start.

I've not had problems elsewhere, but I was politely asked to remove my lid once and I was happy to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If Im entering the place to pay then yes I do remove me helmet. I'd feel like an awful donkey standing in a queue with me lid on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

No, I don't. I only take off my gloves. Like already said, if I'm going into the shop/garage to get other things, I'll take my lid off. Other than that - it stays on. I've only ever had one issue, it was in an Esso in Swords. I was at the til, handing the guy a €20 note. He asked me to take off my helmet. I told him I was just paying for the petrol, but he insisted on me taking off my lid. I threw the money at him across the counter and told him to f**k himself. He told me I was barred, but I replied - "if I come in the car next time and don't have a helmet on, how will you recognise me ya donkey?!" He didn't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I was at the til, handing the guy a €20 note. He asked me to take off my helmet. I told him I was just paying for the petrol, but he insisted on me taking off my lid. I threw the money at him across the counter and told him to f**k himself

What kind of ignorant savage are you, throwing money and swearing at people? It's not the guy behind the till that makes the rules, it's the manager. Take your frustration out on the person responsible, not some random guy trying to make it on minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Yes. Worked in shops and I do it out of courtesy to the people that work there.

Apart from the security end of things I'd view it the same as being on the phone while being served, kind of rude.

However, if it's late at night and I'm getting served through a hatch I might leave it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Dammed if im taking off my helmet while paying for petrol, its the thugs driving off without paying that should be targeted, not the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Like the title says: Do you take off your helmet at a petrol station when filling your tank and/or paying for the petrol?

I wear an open face, and generally leave it on, but remove the sunglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya, dont like walking around inside with a helmet on.

I even always take it off before going inside my own house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Never, and they can go fvck themselves if they don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Always. Not because I feel I should, I just don't like wearing the lid when I'm not on the bike. I always take it off as soon as I step off. My filler cap is behind me on the bike so I can't fill up without stepping off.

On a side not I work in a petrol station and we've never asked anyone to take off their helmet but I know one or two of the staff are slightly nervous seeing people come in wearing helmets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

FruitLover wrote: »
    What kind of ignorant savage are you, throwing money and swearing at people? It's not the guy behind the till that makes the rules, it's the manager. Take your frustration out on the person responsible, not some random guy trying to make it on minimum wage.

It WAS the manager!! :P If it was just one of the general staff, I wouldn't have given him the earful I did.

What kind of savage am I?? The kind who doesn't take sh1t from anybody!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I only wear the helmet if I'm robbing the place or if I have a coldsore.

The rest of the time I take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

na, i wear glasses so it's a pain in the whole taking lid off and putting it back on again when all i'm doing is paying for a few quid petrol -

And as above, if they dont turn the pump on I just drive off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Funny I was reading a thread this morning about aggressive bikers by an OP I never agree with, a lot of contributors to this thread sure fulfil the stereo type, it is good manners to take your lid off when paying, and not doing so is pig ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sure, if it was my station I'd want to see who was at the pump so I don't see the problem, the helmet's not surgically attached like.

I wear glasses too, james that must be some set of whopper lenses if it's that big a deal to put them back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

ya wouldn't ask a Muslim to remove a Burka - one is about religion but both are about free will

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

jameshayes wrote: »
    ya wouldn't ask a Muslim to remove a Burka - one is about religion but both are about free will

You're not seriously comparing a helmet to a burka :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I generally take it off, though if I'm feeling lazy and at a station that doesn't have a sign to take it off when in the shop I might keep it on. One reason for being lazy is that I can have my neck sock tucked into my lid and I've no intention of having to do that too many times in one day.

Like some others I will drive away from places that refuse to start the pump when the lid is on. Though I have found that lifting the dark visor if it's on and taking off the gloves helps with their cooperation. I'm pretty sure they just want to get a good shot of you on a camera.

One station refused until I took my lid off and I was too short of petrol to argue, turns out they wouldn't have insisted if the bike was facing the other way as then their camera would have caught my reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Funny I was reading a thread this morning about aggressive bikers by an OP I never agree with, a lot of contributors to this thread sure fulfil the stereo type, it is good manners to take your lid off when paying, and not doing so is pig ignorant.

Any link to said thread? Might make for some interesting reading.:D

BTW I always take the lid off before going into the shop to pay for the petrol.

Any link to said thread? Might make for some interesting reading.:D

BTW I always take the lid off before going into the shop to pay for the petrol.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056431699

be prepared to be peed off he always gets me going, but the mod thought so too

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056431699

be prepared to be peed off he always gets me going, but the mod thought so too
    Hahaha he's some chap for winding people up alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

seanybiker wrote: »
    Hahaha he's some chap for winding people up alright.

A Real Keyboard warrior all right

A Real Keyboard warrior all right

I don't think hes a keyboard warrior, more a mad yoke. Ibget a laugh off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

mikemac wrote: »
    If it's just for fuel, then no as I am in and out and all I'll be saying is the pump number. I've never had the pumps locked on me

But if I'm picking up extra stuff like a paper or a coke or browsing the shelves then yes I would

what he said :)

Advertisement