Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did nobody ever think of this before??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Salmon wrote: »
    Just browsing a classified ads site earlier and I stumbled across this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cats/2551276 !! I cant believe no-one has thought of this before!:confused: Its even patented now, Darn!

Would a bell on a collar not accomplish the same thing, and have they not been around for billions of years, pretty much since cats were invented? Have they not, OP, HAVE THEY NOT?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

msg11 wrote: »
    Cat's are hunters and like to bring back there owners presents to say thanks for looking after them, so they bring back birds or vermin.

They don't like going back empty to you because they see it as you the owner will not take this easy.

So in turn they start to prey on socks and jocks from your neighbours washing line.

This is no joke.

You're dead right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

from the donedeal ad: "Domestic cats kill millions of birds and small marsupials every year".

Birds maybe, but I don't think cats kill many marsupials in Ireland.

I have a friend with a lovely garden whose cat slaughters a huge amount of birds in the spring and summer- she won't bell the cat as she thinks it's an affront to its dignity so I don't think she'd be impressed with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

Why has noone thought of this before?

Cos Fvck birds, thats why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Naomi00 wrote: »
    No ones thought of it yet because it's a useless idea.

My cat won't even wear a collar. He convientally 'lost' it as soon as he went outside.
    They have ways of taking things like that off. How did the person who made that bib not notice that they only make pet clothes for dogs because a cat would never wear them? Surely that bib thing is way worse.

Oh really?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

What kind of spastic would buy this?
    If you don't want your cat killing things, put it down.
    Cats are predators and obligate carnivores, killing things is in their nature

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

strobe wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. Birds are awfully nervous little things. The idea with the bell on the collar isn't that the birds will hear the bell and think "better fly away, there's one of those cat alarms going off" it's that any sudden noise will cause them to flick their head up and check what it was, disabling the cats ability to stalk silently and close the distance needed to make a successful attack.

Any sort of link to a study or anything like that to support this 'birds ignore bells even though they ignore no other sounds whatsoever' hypothesis?

Lots of them. It's pretty well known that bell collars are absolutely useless for bird protection. Birds hear thousands of sounds all the time, they only react to sounds which they associate with predators. The way they hear bells rarely resonates with them as something to be concerned about.

http://optimail.com.au/berrime/collbell.htm

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:XFmXe93HCQQJ:www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/materials/predation.pdf+cat+bells+birds&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjZT9EiuAgH9bYNW5dEaYfhgr_h7JECAmbrakXei3q-TKXjLHKLIUnh-0MetAm1odMSUF5vXqUgKmXiDvKKb3jc4HbpaQHJgF-cRpm7TwIPvNSxzYsoyoNcTzNiBCh4eHKd4kx-&sig=AHIEtbT4-5wdo1GsXq6cjU7BAtZOc56BZw&pli=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

It only works for 80% of cats meaning 20% of cats have found a workaround. Word will spread, cats have a network of deviousness that humans will never conquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would NEVER do this to my cat!

Not that he would let me - We tried to put a collar on him when he was a young thing.... he shredded two and pulled the 3rd one off. We gave up and let him be the happy little hunting machine he thinks he is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Salmon wrote: »
    Just browsing a classified ads site earlier and I stumbled across this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cats/2551276 !! I cant believe no-one has thought of this before!:confused: Its even patented now, Darn!

Would a bell on a collar not accomplish the same thing, and have they not been around for billions of years, pretty much since cats were invented? Have they not, OP, HAVE THEY NOT?

:pac:
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I don't want my cat getting bullied by all the other cats in the area. Imagine the abuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Looks like the sort of thing that you'd find attached to a car engine, connected to a half cooked dead cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

We have a cat about 2 half years now. I think ive seen him with 2 dead birds in that time. And one mouse.
    Its not a massive problem Cats killing Birds.

Im out.

So you have him a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

stevenmu wrote: »
    Could we make a bigger version to stop fat people eating McDonalds?
    Anti-eating face mask
    a real patent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

why not just stick a damn bell on the cats collar!! That'll ruin their stealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I've never seen a more ridiculous invention in my life. I don't know who I'm most embarrassed for the cat or the inventor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Murdoch University, where this was invented is in Australia. That's why they talk about Marsupials in the ad. It's a much bigger problem in Australia/New Zealand where there are more indigenous birds. Cats cause huge problems for bird life here. I absolutely love cats and I can still acknowledge that. In NZ particularly, where the only mammal before human arrival was a bat cats and other mammals (ferrets, stoats, rats and possums) have reduced bird populations hugely.

My cat has brought 1 bird in to us in two years, his speciality, unfortunately is lizards. We found a dead one in our bed the other day :eek: I can tell you now though, he'd rip that bib off in about 2 minutes.

Advertisement