Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did nobody ever think of this before??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I iz in ur bib, steeling mai dignity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We have a cat about 2 half years now. I think ive seen him with 2 dead birds in that time. And one mouse.
    Its not a massive problem Cats killing Birds.
    Eh not quite...
    well actually.....

there are a few species of birds that are being affected by predation by cats, and it is now recommended that we try stop cats catching as many birds, as some of these species are in decline.

if you want to read more. that is in reference to Britain, I can't find anything on Ireland, but I would presume (possibly wrongly) that there's a likelihood Irish numbers may be having the same problem.
    +1. Cats are one of the biggest pressures on wild bird populations, particularly in urban areas. They've contributed to the outright extinction of quite a few species worldwide, particularly island ones. Maybe your kitty is pretty grand, but they defo have an effect. I noticed it myself when I was recently in between dogs. More cats coming in and stalking the bird feeders and the small birds fecking off. Since I got a new puppy this has stopped. The birds don't sem to be too miffed at dogs funny enough and a dog would have a go at a bird too(though usually something worth the hunt like a pigeon).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

token56 wrote: »
    There are already collars with bells on them. Work quite well.

If by quite well you mean "not even remotely" you'd be right. Birds don't know that the sound of a bell is the sound of a predator. It's just humans being ridiculous and anthropomorphising birds. And cats, as has been said up thread, are a massive problem for certain species of native birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I couldn't even get my cat to keep her collar on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Neutering and spaying should be the norm. If a cat is a habitual killer (s)he should be curtailed in some way I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Because it's stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

msg11 wrote: »
    Cat's are hunters and like to bring back there owners presents to say thanks for looking after them, so they bring back birds or vermin.

They don't like going back empty to you because they see it as you the owner will not take this easy.

So in turn they start to prey on socks and jocks from your neighbours washing line.

This is no joke.

wrote:
    When a mother cat is teaching her kittens to hunt she will bring home dead prey for the kittens to eat. Once they are older she will bring home injured prey for the kittens and make the final kill in front of the kittens.
    The school of thought with this one is that our cats think of their owners as somewhat incompetent hunters, and our cat is attempting to teach us how to hunt, as a female cat would teach her kittens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The-Rigger wrote: »
    When a mother cat is teaching her kittens to hunt she will bring home dead prey for the kittens to eat. Once they are older she will bring home injured prey for the kittens and make the final kill in front of the kittens.
    The school of thought with this one is that our cats think of their owners as somewhat incompetent hunters, and our cat is attempting to teach us how to hunt, as a female cat would teach her kittens
    They will do it whether they are taught to or not. We got two kittens who were only 5 weeks old. They didn't have a mother cat to teach them how to kill. They were kept in the house for the first few months but when they started to live outside they learned to kill mice and birds. It must be instinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

But if i put this on my cat how will she impress me by bring dead birds to my back door, thats the only reason i keep her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Cats :rolleyes: Irrelevant since the invention of the mouse trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I is gonna lick mein arse how ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

We have a cat about 2 half years now. I think ive seen him with 2 dead birds in that time. And one mouse.
    Its not a massive problem Cats killing Birds.

Im out.

LOL
    If you only seen 3 dead birds and 1 dead mouse, your cat must have killed a hell of a lot more.

But that is the cats nature, that what it does, that is what it likes to do, it better craic then a ball of wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Would cats from different neighbourhoods get different color bibs like gang colors to differentiate themselves from the other cats???

blood_gang_formation.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

eth0 wrote: »
    What a stupid idea and stops the cat from catching any vermin either. So will make yer cat 100% dependent on espensive cat food and prevent it from doing anything useful. brilliant result all round

In fairness, there's a few things wrong with the "cat bib" but that's definitely not one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Neutering and spaying should be the norm. If a cat is a habitual killer (s)he should be curtailed in some way I reckon.

That's what the vet said about my cat but it still killed rabbits and crows etc. Didn't stop him fighting other cats and dogs either.

The only way I've ever been able to stop them from killing things is to distract the cat and let the animal/bird get away or bring the cat back into the house, but it makes them sad when they don't catch it. I really can't see how that bib thing would work, but it looks hilairious.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

They would not let you on dragons den with that crap.
    Who ever had to patent this, lost he`s money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Are you saying we should protect nature (birds) by.... unnaturally modifying our cats?

Eh....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They would not let you on dragons den with that crap.
    Who ever had to patent this, lost he`s money.
    Actually it's quite popular in the US so he's(or she's) made his money.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Could we make a bigger version to stop fat people eating McDonalds?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They will do it whether they are taught to or not. We got two kittens who were only 5 weeks old. They didn't have a mother cat to teach them how to kill. They were kept in the house for the first few months but when they started to live outside they learned to kill mice and birds. It must be instinctive.
    Yea it's instinctive alright. Ditto with dogs. Though dogs generally get enough food not to be worrying about hunting. Even so your friendly little doggie will have a go if he or she has the opportunity to do so. "Worrying" sheep and the like. I've had dogs that have had a high prey drive and even with my best intentions have had a go at and killed and partially eaten foxes and cats that came into my/"their" garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

stevenmu wrote: »
    Could we make a bigger version to stop fat people eating McDonalds?

Could just stop McDonalds

The processed tripe they sell in there is bad for everyone not just fatties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Pity they didn't stick one on Ted Bundy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I thought bells on the collar were invented for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

iguana wrote: »
    If by quite well you mean "not even remotely" you'd be right. Birds don't know that the sound of a bell is the sound of a predator. It's just humans being ridiculous and anthropomorphising birds.

I'm not sure about that. Birds are awfully nervous little things. The idea with the bell on the collar isn't that the birds will hear the bell and think "better fly away, there's one of those cat alarms going off" it's that any sudden noise will cause them to flick their head up and check what it was, disabling the cats ability to stalk silently and close the distance needed to make a successful attack.

Any sort of link to a study or anything like that to support this 'birds ignore bells even though they ignore no other sounds whatsoever' hypothesis?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Worst product, EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I can understand where they are coming from protecting declining species, but one thing not mentioned, if your cat has one of these on and is in an area with lots of dogs and cats, its going to get tore apart if it cant defend itself and im sure that will slow it down and make it harder to escape.

That or the dog/cat will roll around laughing at how silly it looks and have pity..

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

now to come up with a similar device to stop humans killing animals:D

fcuk the food chain;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

FruitLover wrote: »
    Are you saying we should protect nature (birds) by.... unnaturally modifying our cats?

Eh....

They can be kept in at certain times when birds feed AFAIK.

I really like cats but if they'e having an adverse impact on our wild fauna then we should really make the effort to minimize it wouldn't you agree?.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

LOL - that has to be the most stupidest invention I have ever seen

+ I'm morto for the Cat

Advertisement